IGNORED

Craig Gordon - Gk

Guest chiddyj

Guest chiddyj

I been hearing rumors all day! Is it true that City are about to sign Goalkeeper Craig Gordon? Will be awesome if true!

Can always remember his fantastic save vs Bolton.

Guest ashtonphil

Cant see us affording his wages, and i doubt he would want to come to us

Deja vu?? Didn't we all say this 2 years ago.....

We're not in a 25k on a high profile goalkeeper position any more, and that's a good thing.

I very much hope we sign a new number one, but I very much hope we learn the lessons of the James situation.

I thought James was on 15k and that was "common knowledge". How has it near doubled now he has left?

I have a friend who supports Pompey and he believed James was offered £15k a week to stay with them at the time. He also believed we matched that offer and he came to us because it suited his commute better. Is it true, I don't know.

Maynard was rumoured to have been offered upwwards of £20k a week to renew, I guess there are very few people even at the club who really know what the players are getting. If we are paying players over £20k a week then it's no wonder the club have run up so much debt. Ludicrous amount of money for a club of our size.

I have a friend who supports Pompey and he believed James was offered £15k a week to stay with them at the time. He also believed we matched that offer and he came to us because it suited his commute better. Is it true, I don't know.

Maynard was rumoured to have been offered upwwards of £20k a week to renew, I guess there are very few people even at the club who really know what the players are getting. If we are paying players over £20k a week then it's no wonder the club have run up so much debt. Ludicrous amount of money for a club of our size.

And what, exactly, is that size?

In order to stay in this division we have to compete and to compete, especially at the right end of the table, it is a sad fact that the wage bill inevitably heads towards being 'ludicrously' high. Market forces dictate, to a large degree.

Guest catcott_red1

.............anyway back on topic. Gordon would be a fantastic signing because he is still a quality goalkeeper. Was on high wages at sunderland but if he just wants to play games and likes what Del has to say then stranger things have happened. It's unlikely but still possible.

Apparently we are the English club to have a firm interest in signing Craig Gordon.

It's a journalist for the Sunderland Echo newspaper that's said that. If his organisation is anything like the EP, I think we can safely presume we'll not be signing Craig Gordon...

Guest AngelsBCFC

Craig Gordon is now 100% Fit and Healthy according to a new article on another new thread about him on the forums, personally IF I would like him to join Ashton Gate? My own answer to that would be 100% Yes Please.

I fully expect him to sign on a one year deal, with a second year triggered at a set number of appearances - probably around the 20 game figure.

We're in an ideal position. Have lost players on big wages, James, Cisse and Maynard, and are not desperate at the goalkeeper position. If we sign him and he's injured, we have an adequate replacement in Gerken and can let him leave after a year. If he's fit, we get a good keeper and can sell him at the end of the year for a profit or keep him.

I fully expect him to sign on a one year deal, with a second year triggered at a set number of appearances - probably around the 20 game figure.

We're in an ideal position. Have lost players on big wages, James, Cisse and Maynard, and are not desperate at the goalkeeper position. If we sign him and he's injured, we have an adequate replacement in Gerken and can let him leave after a year. If he's fit, we get a good keeper and can sell him at the end of the year for a profit or keep him.

Sell him for a profit at the end of a one year contract?

I think Mr Bosman might have something to say about that!

I'd rather we saved the money and keep Gerken and Carey active. No need to have 3 keepers when you can sign players on loan nearly all season long. If we have that sort of money we'd be better off buying qulaity outifeld players, Gerken as proved, is more than adequate for the championship.

• Admin

I'd rather we saved the money and keep Gerken and Carey active. No need to have 3 keepers when you can sign players on loan nearly all season long. If we have that sort of money we'd be better off buying qulaity outifeld players, Gerken as proved, is more than adequate for the championship.

But DM doesn't want Carey to spend a season on the bench as he wants him to develop by going out on loan. This means the signing of a keeper is nailed on. And with that being the case, I believe we will be signing a goalkeeper to go straight into the first team. (I expect Carey to go on loan each season until Gerken's contract ends and then they will assess who from the 2 has greatest potential to be a first XI goalie).

Do people honestly believe we could bring in a keeper like Gordon? Really? Am I the only one who believes this is all pie in the sky?

I find it unlikely, however if there is truth in the story that were the only english club who have had serious talks with him, then maybe its a case of he's got to do what he's got to do to prove himself again and if that includes dropping down a division so be it. I don't doubt we've probably enquired I just thought Gordon would shrug off the idea of dropping to the championship.

Next season is the time for Deano to establish himself imo, although I think we will need to sign a backup keeper for at least 2 years until Carey experienced enough for Championship. If fit Gordon would be good, but as said by previous posters having played in the PL for quite a while would he want to make the drop to Championship level and will he command high wages which we would be better off using the money to strengthen the team elsewhere?

But DM doesn't want Carey to spend a season on the bench as he wants him to develop by going out on loan. This means the signing of a keeper is nailed on. And with that being the case, I believe we will be signing a goalkeeper to go straight into the first team. (I expect Carey to go on loan each season until Gerken's contract ends and then they will assess who from the 2 has greatest potential to be a first XI goalie).

I reckon we should just sign a keeper on loan, let Gerken have the number one slot and then we'll be able to send Carey out on loan, won't upset anyone other than that loan signing

• Admin

Do people honestly believe we could bring in a keeper like Gordon? Really? Am I the only one who believes this is all pie in the sky?

Well given I started off the rumours on that site I would be as surprised as any to see him sign but according to the Sunderland site Celtic (the only team in Scotland that could afford him) don't want him & the local sports journo reckons we are the only English club to have approached him!

I now reckon that our interest is real (but derisory by his standards, affordable by ours) & has been released to the press by his agent in an attempt to flush out interest from other clubs. If this doesn't materialise Mr Gordon will have a choice of accepting our low offer or staying unemployed & claiming JSA. :D

• Admin

I reckon we should just sign a keeper on loan, let Gerken have the number one slot and then we'll be able to send Carey out on loan, won't upset anyone other than that loan signing

But if the opportunity arose to sign what would undoubtedly be the best keeper in the Championship on terms that suited us would you not want the club to do so regardless of any perceived sense of "fairness" to Gerken?

• Admin

Because they havent got a Premier League quality keeper and he is available........ so i deduced it.....

Has Al Habsi left them as he always seems to play well when I've watched them?

Guest Ricardo 'Livi' Red

Because they havent got a Premier League quality keeper and he is available........ so i deduced it.....

They have a quality keeper

I'm pretty certain every goalkeeping thread ends in a debate about how much someone "knows" or "believes" what David James got paid!

The vast majority of numbers thrown around on here are a way off the mark.

Guest Brislingwood Red

Too long we've tried to not upset the apple cart as a club. B*llocks to that, if there's a player out there available, willing to sign and is a marked improvement on what we currently have, then get them in.

For me Gerken isn't good enough to be a regular starter, yes he did well at the end of last season but he couldn't really do any worse than James.

As others have said, Al-Habsi would argue that till the cows come home.

Gordon will want a starting place wherever he goes. Do I think we'll get him? Probably not, but we said the same about David James two years ago...

Good call, but I'd actually sign a number 2 - maybe an experienced player coming to the end of his career (but not DJ)

Archived