IGNORED

Do The Right Thing.

Guest Harry May

Guest Harry May

Going on from the thread about at which age , it is suitable to take children to The Gate. I am sure for those of us on here who are parents , most of you would agree , that the hardest job in the world is to be a good father ( or mother ). When I went to school we never had parenting lessons - you just model yourself on your own parents and adapt the good bits and ignore the bits you do n't like.

That is why I think taking your child to The Gate is so important . It teaches them so much about life . Take the rough with the smooth - the Ups and the Downs. It teaches them about loyalty and perserverance - sticking with something through thick and thin.About being stoical . About history and tradition .

You do n't get that by buying a Man U shirt at JJB and watching Sky super sunday , do you ?

Caldicot Red.

They certainly learn about the rough as they watch u get cidered up in The Rising Sun before the game mate.

But seriously I agree with ya. You do learn a hell of a lot from going to the matches. I can remember things at games 15/20 yrs back(not always the football) and I will always be grateful for my Dad taking me down. Such an eye opener going to Ashton Gate and then travelling away.

Practically all my few long term mates are City fans and although just like my dad moaned and we do now"Not like it used to be" its good to see the kids enjoying it and sharing the trials and tribulations of it all.

Easy to say when u ain't got any of your own though.

Guest Harry May

Coming down from the smoke on saturday , Jim ?

Will be in the Rising Sun nice'n'early. I have to continue my parenting classes.........

Caldicot Red.

Harry - you might be interested to read the "perspective" thread, now on about page 4 if you haven't done so already.

Another thing you could say about taking your children down the Gate is that it gives you a shared interest with them for life.

When the teenage arguments hit a crescendo and you can't believe you have anything in common with that snarling monster, a couple of hours down the Gate together ( or sat watching Teletext eagerly waiting for a City goal to come up) soon brings your relationship back to an even keel.

After all if you're hugging each other with joy just because City have scored, how can you ever truly fall out?

Guest Harry May

Nogbad , just trawled through the pages to find that post.

One of the best posts I've ever read on any City forum. It should be dug out and put in Well Red.

Caldicot Red.

I remember when I was a kid my old man brought me and a mate to a City home game against Ipswich, I think. We lived in Stratford at the time and my dad and I really wanted to watch the game but my mate started crying cos of the noise (those were the days) so we had to drive him home and we came back for the end of the game.

Thats dedication-just thought I'd share that with you.

Guest KingswoodRed
When the teenage arguments hit a crescendo and you can't believe you have anything in common with that  snarling monster, a couple of hours down the Gate together ( or sat watching Teletext eagerly waiting for a City goal to come up) soon brings your relationship back to an even  keel.

After all if you're hugging each other with joy just because City have scored, how can you ever truly fall out?

Nogbad.

I can't let this small, yet truly significant reply go without comment.

I am sorry if it takes the original post off topic slightly, but it engulfs exactly what, in my opinion, a true City fan is.

As I have a teenage daughter whom I get on famously with, used to, and will in the future continue to, take to watch City, it doesn't involve the 'getting on' with your kids aspect.

It hits a true nerve with me, and my daughter, with the quote 'snarling monster, a couple of hours down the Gate together ( or sat watching Teletext eagerly waiting for a City goal to come up)' comment.

I just want to add a slight personal mark....

... (me) sitting watching Soccer Saturday on Sky hoping for a change to the positive in the City score, to the point of actually trying to change it by concentrating on the City game whilst on the latest scores in Div. 2, a la Ure Gueller, and my eldest keeping the Ceefax in screen scores on while she watches her Sat. afternoon teen programme, and both reacting in togetherness if a goal goes in.

My point to this reply is, why question what a true City fan is, when your posting sums it up in one.

I hope it will be used in future arguements/requests as to what a true City fan really is.

Apologies if this is a slightly finger down throat reply.

Nick, as ever wll thought out. I thought for a while that you'd given up on the forum. Aftre all the dross I've read on here in recent weeks, it's certainly crossed my mind. :clap:

However, to get back to your thread, as you know, my two boys have been attending since the age of four on a regular basis. In all honesty, I believe that they split their loyalties between Bristol City and the big bag of sweets that i bribe them with to give their Mum a break on a Saturday.

On the whole, I think that they enjoy both their time at Ashton gate and the football. There have however been occasions when I've questioned the logic of taking them. For example, Mansfield last year; the most exciting game of football that we've ever seen marred by the brutality of the boys in blue right in front of Christian and Jess. The open cocaine habits of some of our more robust fans in the toilets of pubs ("they've got a heavy cold my boy"). The bitter disappointment of the Cardiff playoffs.

On the positive side, these are tempered with the good times which leave the biggest impression of all; neither of them will forget the LDV final, and Christian still goes on about the 6.2 win over Cambridge even though he must have been five at the time.

It is no picnic being a parent, I agree. However, I for one may grumble on occasion, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

And I'll be joining you for your inaugoral parenting class this saturday at 1pm in the Rising Sun!

Scooter Red :clap:

Nogbad thought your post spot on- I am sure over the years my relationship with my father has been strengthened by a shared interest in progress of both City and Glos CC. Now think I had better get my daughters (6 & 1) to find that shared interest as well as George to help us all through those dreaded teenage years!!

Archived