IGNORED

Humble Pie For Me...but Only A Little

The Humble Realist

So I started a thread after the Gillingham match asking if we were just papering over the cracks and doing things on the cheap alongside stating that a new centre back was needed.

Well first of all I wish to state my delight that SL HAS invested since in the form of Baldock and Davies and that things are very much looking up.

I still believe in what i said (at the time) but credit where credits due we have pulled off a couple of signings and SL certainly cant be accused of not backing Delboy.

The two performance at home have been superb and we are playing good football and seem to be able to score goals at will!

However, being a realist (as I was when I posted post Gillingham) I think a new centre back is still vital. We havnt kept a clean sheet in 3 league games, and have conceded 5 goals in 3 home games (if u count the GIllingham match) or 3 in 2 without.

I think the back 4 in both home games will be enough to see us clear of any immediate danger but injury to Fontaine or Carey leaves us weak as I dont believe Wilson/Stewart are up to the job. Carey has justified his contract ext and has been superb but there is no way we will get 46 high quality performances out of him due to injury concerns. If we are going to achieve anything other than mid table this season we must tighten up at the back, our play with the ball has been superb apart from when we have caused ourselves trouble. Monk would be a good addition adding some leadership to a team who have looked full of confidance after last seasons trials and tribulations.

Long may the exciting performances continue, but just as I am eating humble pie for my post match Gills comments, lets hope the positivity leads to humble pie if we dont improve the defence.

Archived