IGNORED

If We Dont Get A New Stadium

As it seems that were not going to get the new stadium. Would we be allowed to expand Ashton Gate or is the car park behind the EE a village green?

I was thinking you could make the Williams better by making it all plastic seats and you could raise the EE roof to fit more in not sure what that would do to the atmosphere though. Also you could amke the A block of the Ateyo better and could have it go round the corner and on top of the club shop at the same height as the ateyo now, move the tunnel back to where it was in the williams and make the ateyo deeper so it can hold more a bit like the kop.

Plus it should be cheaper to expand on what we curretly have then build a new stadium.

Goodie, a thread about redeveloping Ag, haven't had one before, have we?

So why not provide some links to the discussion, o wise one, so that some fresh perspective can be shed on what's looking more of a realistic possibility the longer this 'mare drags on?

Been talked about on forums for a while now. Ain't there a photo of the design somewhere and planning permission even approved. Plus there's the rumour that SL has started buying the sites next to AG? So that the pitch can be turned 90 degrees with the Dolman becoming a end terrace?

If not and we do go down the rebuild route, I would expect the Williams to be knocked down and rebuilt without those stantions that get in the way all the time. Then as mentioned extend the Wedlock stand.

I believe the gash once mooted turning their pitch round 180 degrees !

Not a good idea rotating the pitch. AG was designed for the pitch to be facing that way so it got the most sun possible. That is one of the reasons we have such a good pitch, and of course the soil.

Not a good idea rotating the pitch. AG was designed for the pitch to be facing that way so it got the most sun possible. That is one of the reasons we have such a good pitch, and of course the soil.

wouldn't it get the same sunlight regardless of which way the pitch is facing? I'd have thought the height of the stands would impact to quality of the grass.

A far flung fantasy would be...

It would kill the soil but we may benifit from steep stands and do what the fa did with wembley, lower the pitch.

Then we could boost the capacity, it would look strange too but not an eyesore

But that would involve serious redevelopment with nowhere suitable to go in the mean time. Therefore not a goer beforeyou even consider the technicalities.

I thought Lansdown said that redeveloping AG wasn't an option as it would cost to much and there are limited options

IMO Rotating the pitch would not work looking at the satellite view of the site. I thought someone had mentioned brabys site had recently been purchased (not by SL) so I assume this idea was never in the boards thinking,

How about the Alderman Moores allotments site, rumoured to be earmarked for housing:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/New-homes-spring-allotments/story-14369308-detail/story.html

Its even closer to our ground, plus the council want to sell it.... Hard to tell but looking on google satellite view it looks a feasible size.

I personally think this might be being investigated by the board as a back up option.

IMO Rotating the pitch would not work looking at the satellite view of the site. I thought someone had mentioned brabys site had recently been purchased (not by SL) so I assume this idea was never in the boards thinking,

How about the Alderman Moores allotments site, rumoured to be earmarked for housing:

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

Its even closer to our ground, plus the council want to sell it.... Hard to tell but looking on google satellite view it looks a feasible size.

I personally think this might be being investigated by the board as a back up option.

If Braby's and Wickes were purchased by SL/BCFC, that would give a massive plot of land to develop on if rotated by 90degrees, but who knows what is owned by anyone down there.

The braby's site is being rented by a cheery picking type firm. The biggest thing people are over looking is the storm drain that runs through that part of the area. OK it could be over come by elevating like Villa Parks stand over the road, but environmentally there could be obsitcles.

Wickes would probably move but it's a very productive store for the Company and is very busy and in prime location so that will not be cheap.

As for the sun problem on the pitch, many clubs that have restricting sunlight use sun lamps on wheels. Manchester United use them all the time and you often see them when people are being interviewed pitchside. It helps the grass grow in winter and keeps the pitches as what they are today. So pitch rotation I think isn't a problem...space is with the houses behind the Ateyo. And those that were around in the ealy 90's know the story there.

MM

I think some people don't understand the reasons for building a new ground. Currently AG generates revenue once or max twice a fortnight, whereas with new facilities for conferencing, events, concerts etc the club can generate more revenue away from match days. Why did man city move from an all seater stadium that wasn't exactly falling down? Simple, sell the current site & use the money to build a new stadium that makes more non match day revenue.

Where is the money going to come from to rebuild Ashton Gate if we havnt sold anything? Knocking a few plastic seats in and raising the east end roof is just a complete non starter.

The allotments would be a great shout if it includes the adjacent colliters brook scrub land next to it.

It would be slightly larger parcel of land than AV, and would have its very own railway station on site.

If only it was as easy as a straight swap: You can move your allotments to Ag, and we'll buy that piece of land next door where the council planned to run their now doomed brt route.

The allotments would be a great shout if it includes the adjacent colliters brook scrub land next to it.

It would be slightly larger parcel of land than AV, and would have its very own railway station on site.

If only it was as easy as a straight swap: You can move your allotments to Ag, and we'll buy that piece of land next door where the council planned to run their now doomed brt route.

Quick lets fence of the scrubland before the locals read this and take pictures of themselves ice skating on it

I think some people don't understand the reasons for building a new ground. Currently AG generates revenue once or max twice a fortnight, whereas with new facilities for conferencing, events, concerts etc the club can generate more revenue away from match days. Why did man city move from an all seater stadium that wasn't exactly falling down? Simple, sell the current site & use the money to build a new stadium that makes more non match day revenue.

Where is the money going to come from to rebuild Ashton Gate if we havnt sold anything? Knocking a few plastic seats in and raising the east end roof is just a complete non starter.

Didn't SL sell shares to the value of 42M to part finance the new ground?

If that money was spent on Ashton Gate it could be redeveloped into a 30K stadium with conference facilities.

I believe the official ground capacity is 21500, that means an additional 8500 seats required, split between a redeveloped Wedlock and Williams, not impossible, just not as attractive as a new ground is to SL.

Redeveloping AG is perfectly possible with SL money, if that's how he wants to spend it.

He could for instance purchase the houses behind the Atyeo, knock them down and make the Atyeo into a double decker stand.

Wot, just purchase them, just like that...? I think the residents might have something to say about it.

Yes the stadium is his little toy. I suppose that's what people need when they have ridiculous amount s of dough. A new stand or two just isn't enough.

But in his defence I do kind of see where he's coming from, as even with a new williams and EE, there would still be no easy near the same in the way of corporate hospitality or room for mcdonalds or the like.

So why not provide some links to the discussion, o wise one, so that some fresh perspective can be shed on what's looking more of a realistic possibility the longer this 'mare drags on?

I blame the mods and of course Lee Johnson; any topics about the stadium should be nailed and screwed down and why not weld it while you are it to the STADIUM file section. Corr blimey, not difficult.

You could quite easily make AG open for concerts and that stuff make the williams bigger going backwards to provide more room, make the Ateyo deeper and taller close the corners by building ontop of the club shop and knocking down the clock bit of the williams and making it go round the corner and into the top tier of the ee which could also be made deeper and remove the pillars and make the stand sterdier.

Yeah sorry could you move this into the stadium thread please

Wot, just purchase them, just like that...? I think the residents might have something to say about it.

Yes the stadium is his little toy. I suppose that's what people need when they have ridiculous amount s of dough. A new stand or two just isn't enough.

But in his defence I do kind of see where he's coming from, as even with a new williams and EE, there would still be no easy near the same in the way of corporate hospitality or room for mcdonalds or the like.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already owns some of the houses.

I'm sure you know the story of Avbromovich (sp) who liked the look of a house that had been converted into flats, he bought one, then the others until he owned the entire house, which he converted back into a single dwelling, at a cost of many millions.

There are about 10 or so houses behind the Atyeo, 400K each would probably buy each of them, 4M in total, everyone, and everything has a price.

I'm happy to see AG developed or a new ground at AV, what I don't want is a ground somewhere other than the BS3 area ( or very near by).

It's SLs vision, which he is prepared to fund, so good luck to him. I'm just putting an alternative possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already owns some of the houses.

I'm sure you know the story of Avbromovich (sp) who liked the look of a house that had been converted into flats, he bought one, then the others until he owned the entire house, which he converted back into a single dwelling, at a cost of many millions.

There are about 10 or so houses behind the Atyeo, 400K each would probably buy each of them, 4M in total, everyone, and everything has a price.

I'm happy to see AG developed or a new ground at AV, what I don't want is a ground somewhere other than the BS3 area ( or very near by).

It's SLs vision, which he is prepared to fund, so good luck to him. I'm just putting an alternative possibility.

Theres about 18 houses directly behind the Atyeo, plus the building on the corner (opposite the Wedlocks) which I think used to be used by City as a teaching room.

Realistically you'd probably need to buy a couple of houses at the other end of that rank which would take the number of buildings up to around 20!!

You've got to convince the owners to sell also.

I heard rumours that City used to own a lot of those houses back in the day but had to sell them during the tough times i.e. 82 etc..

Archived