IGNORED

Fa Cup Finalist Or Promotion As Champions?

Br 1st ol

Okay, okay, i know the odds on getting to the final are pretty long, but given the choice of City being the runners up in the fa cup, probably with a place in europe following, or being champions of div 2 this year, what do you opt for?

Controversially, i would go for the FA Cup as the cash, extra new fans, exposure, shirt sales etc etc could lead City to have a sugar daddy buy the club and propel us to the prem.

What do you say?

FA Cup without a doubt, think of the money it would generate!

More money in the long-term than promotion to a league containing bigger clubs with bigger gates and more TV exposure, plus a bye into the Third Round of the FA Cup? I think not.

Get real, guys. Promotion is the priority, not just this year but every year. Look at Chesterfield and Wycombe, both FA Cup semi-finalists in recent years. Hasn't done them amy real favours has it? Last I heard Chesterfield were in serious financial trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'd quite like a big team in the Third Round after we dispose of Barnsley. But my hope is that it is something like Man Utd or Arsenal away, excellent day out, hopeuflly not too heavy a defeat, thanks lads, now concentrate on the League. And given the choice I would rather beat Barnsley in the League and lose in the Cup.

Div 2 champions. FA cup runners up? Look at other teams that have been there. They already have a massive fan base blah blah. Sheff Utd are a big club in Div 1 and they have not gained any more fans (sodding granny muggers that they are).

Div 2 champs, hoping for mid table Div 1 finish, then challenge for the Div 1 championship!! :rolleyes: If only!

More money in the long-term than promotion to a league containing bigger clubs with bigger gates and more TV exposure, plus a bye into the Third Round of the FA Cup? I think not.

Get real, guys. Promotion is the priority, not just this year but every year. Look at Chesterfield and Wycombe, both FA Cup semi-finalists in recent years. Hasn't done them amy real favours has it? Last I heard Chesterfield were in serious financial trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'd quite like a big team in the Third Round after we dispose of Barnsley. But my hope is that it is something like Man Utd or Arsenal away, excellent day out, hopeuflly not too heavy a defeat, thanks lads, now concentrate on the League. And given the choice I would rather beat Barnsley in the League and lose in the Cup.

fair point, didnt think of it that way

F.A. Cup, one of the most famous trophies worldwide. A chance of being mentioned in the same breath as the Man Utd's. Arsenals, and Chelsea's of recent years. Sounds good.

However without a doubt it has to be promotion of any kind (as champions would be a nice bonus). We need to get out of this division ASAP. The league takes priority over any cup.

Div 2 no doubt - I'll reluctantly settle for runners up in both, at a push.

As a matter of interest, does the runner up in the cup automatically get a Euro place, if the winner is say Man U who have already quailfied for the Champion league through the league? I know it was true in the old cup winners cup, but have this thought nagging in my mind that if it is a non-premier league side, you miss out, unless you actually win the thing.

Might just be old age....

:clap:

Archived