IGNORED

Marlon Pack

The Original OTIB

big lad, tough tackler, young, rated by many, up the road. Send them Marv and a bag of cash. Could do worse in the Middle. Captain material... for those that think it matters...

Marv would never want to join Cheltenham. I rate the lad though, surprised he wasn't poached during the summer after his form during last seasons play-offs.

Don't worry several of us put his name forward last season when we could have got him for closer to 200k.

Our club will wait until the price is nearer £1mill and then get out bid by Derby/Brighton or whoever. It's only SLs money after all.

Might as well be as much of a shambles off the pitch as we are on it!

still need a holding player with him. Which Skuse would do well rather than have to take on all he has to with the dross that we currently have. Trust me, I'm not a great fan of Skuse: BUT... with a player like pack he could sit and track runners and do the Cisse job. That would be his strength.

Skuse is sh*t.

Why wont people accept that?

well I did that a few years back about a lad called Morison. What a loser, where is he now. £80K at that time,,, not that I know owt of course...

I said about Morison as well but when he proved to be better than we had I didn't go crying to a forum, trying to look clever and moaning that the club didn't listen to me.

Oh and I'd seen him play at least five times before passing judgement.

Clowns.

Collectively you've all probably seen him play less than 5 times and you are surprised that nobody is reading names that you type on a forum - grow up will you. At least write to the club if you have a player in mind.

We used OTIB for Alex Russell - he didn't turn out to shabby.

Really do think that managers/scouts opinions are massively over rated as compared to supporters. Look at what Leeds said about Killa, Aberdeen re Foster.... think fans forums should be a key reference point for new signings myself.

Clowns.

Collectively you've all probably seen him play less than 5 times and you are surprised that nobody is reading names that you type on a forum - grow up will you. At least write to the club if you have a player in mind.

At least they have heard of him, a football manager, yes a football manager, called Mcinnes had never even heard of Pack when he came here, let alone know anything about him, he admitted that in a interview. Now for me, that is worrying, that your own manager doesn't know about a highly rated lower league player on his own door step.

At least they have heard of him, a football manager, yes a football manager, called Mcinnes had never even heard of Pack when he came here, let alone know anything about him, he admitted that in a interview. Now for me, that is worrying, that your own manager doesn't know about a highly rated lower league player on his own door step.

In fairness , when he came here , it was from Scotland , so Cheltenham was hardly on his door step.

Shit is better than Elliott.

It makes me laugh when people say that we need Skuse back, or when he's out, we need Elliott back.

Both of these players are shocking....and have failed at this level. Both need replacing. They have both proved on more then one occasion they cannot cut it at this level.

I'm astonished at how some people have got so used to watching sh*t midfielders...they now see players like Skuse and Elliott as acceptable at this level

In fairness , when he came here , it was from Scotland , so Cheltenham was hardly on his door step.

Trouble is he knew he was coming here so should of been doing some homework. He didn't. I know this maybe over the top, but redknapp has dossiers and knows pretty much every player in the league. I would expect at the very least, our manager who is to lead us to glory, would know about one of the most promising players in the lower leagues. To have never heard of him, to say the least, is a little disconcerting

It makes me laugh when people say that we need Skuse back, or when he's out, we need Elliott back.

Both of these players are shocking....and have failed at this level. Both need replacing. They have both proved on more then one occasion they cannot cut it at this level.

I'm astonished at how some people have got so used to watching sh*t midfielders...they now see players like Skuse and Elliott as acceptable at this level

Though if given the choice would you rather Skuse or Elliott. Like being asked to drink your own piss or eat your own shit. Both awful but Skuse, like piss, is the better option.

big lad, tough tackler, young, rated by many, up the road. Send them Marv and a bag of cash. Could do worse in the Middle. Captain material... for those that think it matters...

Don't forget Dle will only sign players from the Championship and above. I mean who would want to sign a young hungry player at affordable wages when there is a crock from the Premier League waiting around the corner.

You know the film Damned United where Brian Clough realises his team, although talented are too lightweight and are getting bullied about, so he goes out and buys Dave McKay midfield hard bastard and things start improving.

Del do that please

Good point.

Wasn't Del a totally committed all action midfielder who got stuck in? Scored a few goals as well?

How can he be satisfied with the namby pamby midfield players we have when he so obviously needs someone in his own image?

Behind the scenes he must be absolutely tearing his hair out.

I like Marlon Pack, I'd love to have him at the gate. He really is a 'do it all' midfielder. He can tackle, pass, and create; that's three things he has over our current midfield.

I think I could do all those things against Hereford United, what would Pack be like against Danny Murphy and Peter Whittingham etc

Trouble is he knew he was coming here so should of been doing some homework. He didn't. I know this maybe over the top, but redknapp has dossiers and knows pretty much every player in the league. I would expect at the very least, our manager who is to lead us to glory, would know about one of the most promising players in the lower leagues. To have never heard of him, to say the least, is a little disconcerting

I'm going out on a limb here , but I'd hazard a guess that Tottenhams scouting network is a step up from St Johnstones.

I'm going out on a limb here , but I'd hazard a guess that Tottenhams scouting network is a step up from St Johnstones.

that it maybe, but one of the hot prospects in the lower divisions, if you have never heard of them, something is fundamentally wrong. At the very least you should be aware of prospects in lower divisions. Having never heard of him... well that is not right, shows a basic lack of knowlege of your chosen profession. I don't expect him to have a Redknapp type Dossier (although Redknapp himself knows a lot of these players from his own scouting trips, not just his scouts as he has a real interest in the game) But not knowing players like this who have even been touted in the press! Not on!

that it maybe, but one of the hot prospects in the lower divisions, if you have never heard of them, something is fundamentally wrong. At the very least you should be aware of prospects in lower divisions. Having never heard of him... well that is not right, shows a basic lack of knowlege of your chosen profession. I don't expect him to have a Redknapp type Dossier (although Redknapp himself knows a lot of these players from his own scouting trips, not just his scouts as he has a real interest in the game) But not knowing players like this who have even been touted in the press! Not on!

Hadn't McInnes only just got here when someone asked him about Marlon Pack? If I recall correctly it was in the first few weeks.

Hadn't McInnes only just got here when someone asked him about Marlon Pack? If I recall correctly it was in the first few weeks.

Yes he had , but apparently , if he hasn't heard of every player who a few people on this forum rate , that's a dereliction of duty.

Yes he had , but apparently , if he hasn't heard of every player who a few people on this forum rate , that's a dereliction of duty.

So, we all know and rate Pack - yet the amount of people on here who say they couldn't name more than 3 players in the R*vers squad......

Not saying there's anyone worth scouting at the Gash, and I realise it's more banter than anything else - but we can all name a stand out L2 player if you watch the FL highlights. It's not too difficult!

I have the same recollection as you Glyn, I'm sure Del Boy had hardly got his arse in the chair last year when Pack was mentioned. Hardly a surprise he hadn't heard of him, but why let that get in the way. Haters got to hate

I'd hope we'd hear a different answer if the same question was put to him now though......

No, he was classed as a hot prospect by many managers, was mention on the BBC numerous time. it is not a hidden fact that this guy was rated in the football world, yet McInnes hadn't heard of him. You make excuses for the bloke all you like. Pack was not a complete unknown. If he was fair enough

No, he was classed as a hot prospect by many managers, was mention on the BBC numerous time. it is not a hidden fact that this guy was rated in the football world, yet McInnes hadn't heard of him. You make excuses for the bloke all you like. Pack was not a complete unknown. If he was fair enough

And yet he's still at Cheltenham......

And yet he's still at Cheltenham......

That he maybe, I don't know how good or bad he is having never watched him. He could be pants for all I know. The point was, I have heard of him, and I heard of him first on the BBCs website a few years back in a ones to watch article, also I have seen articles in the national press about him.

if I know about him surely a prospective manager should know about him. I have no interest in Cheltenham or go out of my way to look at what is going on at Cheltenham. I gleaned this info myself from taking an interest in football in general.

A step up on Skuse & 5 step ups on Marv, strong, decent passer & can shoot....sign him up.

And I am pretty sure he wouldn't DEMAND 12k per week.

BCAGFC

Not sure how much you've seen of him , sounds like he's a good passer but I'm not sure he's all he's cracked up to be if you read this. Certainly doesn't sound strong and would need a minder by the sounds of it. Bit of a mixed bag here.

http://thewashbag.com/2012/06/15/is-swindons-transfer-target-marlon-pack-tough-enough-for-di-canio/

The League Two play off final provided perfect illustrations of both sides of Pack’s game. He was neat and tidy, then put in some lovely corners too but he was also caught out. An early shoulder challenge from the retreating Nick Powell, knocked the unaware Pack off the ball and left him feebly mewling for a freekick and as Crewe broke and created their first clear chance of the game.

Similarly for Crewe’s second goal, Pack made no effort to follow the breaking Ajay Leitch-Smith on the counter-attack. The Crewe striker then found himself unchallenged on the edge of the box and free to play in Byron Moore to score. The challenges Pack did make during the game were often limp and half-hearted – more of the ‘dangling leg’ variety rather than the brave block demanded by Di Canio.

Not sure how much you've seen of him , sounds like he's a good passer but I'm not sure he's all he's cracked up to be if you read this. Certainly doesn't sound strong and would need a minder by the sounds of it. Bit of a mixed bag here.

http://thewashbag.co...h-for-di-canio/

The League Two play off final provided perfect illustrations of both sides of Pack’s game. He was neat and tidy, then put in some lovely corners too but he was also caught out. An early shoulder challenge from the retreating Nick Powell, knocked the unaware Pack off the ball and left him feebly mewling for a freekick and as Crewe broke and created their first clear chance of the game.

Similarly for Crewe’s second goal, Pack made no effort to follow the breaking Ajay Leitch-Smith on the counter-attack. The Crewe striker then found himself unchallenged on the edge of the box and free to play in Byron Moore to score. The challenges Pack did make during the game were often limp and half-hearted – more of the ‘dangling leg’ variety rather than the brave block demanded by Di Canio.

That's that then, however good he is if he's another feeble mewler we definitely don't want him. :angry:

That he maybe, I don't know how good or bad he is having never watched him. He could be pants for all I know. The point was, I have heard of him, and I heard of him first on the BBCs website a few years back in a ones to watch article, also I have seen articles in the national press about him.

if I know about him surely a prospective manager should know about him. I have no interest in Cheltenham or go out of my way to look at what is going on at Cheltenham. I gleaned this info myself from taking an interest in football in general.

Apologies mate, we're coming at this from different angles - I thought you were advocating signing the fella

Get your point now

From DMac's point of view though, would a young lad move from Cheltenham to St Johnstone (at that time) and see it as a step up? I guess every club knows their limits in terms of players they think they can / will attract and maybe teams from south west England are off their radar

God knows, just speculating

Apologies mate, we're coming at this from different angles - I thought you were advocating signing the fella

Get your point now

From DMac's point of view though, would a young lad move from Cheltenham to St Johnstone (at that time) and see it as a step up? I guess every club knows their limits in terms of players they think they can / will attract and maybe teams from south west England are off their radar

God knows, just speculating

Possibly just that. It's even possible that a South West scout for a Scottish team attended a Cheltenham game or 2 and nobody stood out.

The majority of criticisms of McInnes on this thread seem to be that his first act as City boss wasn't to have a good trawl through OTIB for recommendations for players to sign, who's primary CV plus point are that they already play in the south west. You could replace the subject with Matt Ritchie and no one would notice

Anyway, later on didn't DMac say they'd watched him and weren't interested or was that in Millen's last transfer window?

I know a couple of chaps within a group of fans who recommend players to this club. All very knowledgeable and between them got many contacts within the game..

Marlon Pack has been put forward likewise Webster at Pompey (I saw he was mentioned on here recently).

ATM though this manager has got us in to a position where we wont be taking gambles on young hungry cheap talented local players.

But then the club have always and continue to ignore SW talent for years. Kevin Miller, Scott Hilley, Julian Dicks, Darren Eddie, Darren Peacock, Jason Dodd, Jack Butland, Guy Whittingham, Jon McGinley, Michael Duff, Grant McCann Lee Sharp, George Friend, Joe Mason etc. etc are proof of this then theirs the likes of Pack, Sercombe, Ayling, Rachine plus many more right now on our doorstep ready to step up.

We are the biggest club in the South West and thus should have pick of the best young pros within this region not Southampton, Norwhich or Brum!!!

I know a couple of chaps within a group of fans who recommend players to this club. All very knowledgeable and between them got many contacts within the game..

Marlon Pack has been put forward likewise Webster at Pompey (I saw he was mentioned on here recently).

ATM though this manager has got us in to a position where we wont be taking gambles on young hungry cheap talented local players.

But then the club have always and continue to ignore SW talent for years. Kevin Miller, Scott Hilley, Julian Dicks, Darren Eddie, Darren Peacock, Jason Dodd, Jack Butland, Guy Whittingham, Jon McGinley, Michael Duff, Grant McCann Lee Sharp, George Friend, Joe Mason etc. etc are proof of this then theirs the likes of Pack, Sercombe, Ayling, Rachine plus many more right now on our doorstep ready to step up.

We are the biggest club in the South West and thus should have pick of the best young pros within this region not Southampton, Norwhich or Brum!!!

Some of those names are going back a bit !! I dont think we've ignored young talent , just picked the wrong ones.

We have just pipped Liverpool to the signing of the lad Morrell so maybe things are starting to change.

Archived