IGNORED

Football League Trophy

The early rounds are poorly attended; = not much income for the clubs.

Every round up to & including the regional finals are played at night which entails using floodlights; = extra cost to the clubs.

Since the games HAVE to be held, should the League change this to a Saturday afternoon competition?

The early rounds are poorly attended; = not much income for the clubs.

Every round up to & including the regional finals are played at night which entails using floodlights; = extra cost to the clubs.

Since the games HAVE to be held, should the League change this to a Saturday afternoon competition?

Hopefully it won't be too much of a drain on our resources next year given our recent cup record.

Ideal scenario for me is to play the youth / reserves team.

Playing morecombe away in the piss pot trohpy on a tuesday night..

Can't wait

Won't be Morecambe due to the North/South split. More likely Dag & Red , Barnet or AFC Wimbledon :crying:

Guest I Wurzel I

It'll be fixed so we play the gas, just to try and generate some interest in the pile of shite.

I'll take that.

Steve Phillips still going strong then.

I read in a newspaper yesterday that today is Steve Phillips 7th domestic cup final and this was more than Rooney and Van Persie combined. Unfortunately the same article said we lost the play-off final to Millwall not Brighton

Luke Murphy looking good.

I thought he looked an excellent player. Sure you could say that he was only playing against League 2 opposition, but I have seen our players fail to perform against such opposition in cup games enough over the last couple of seasons.

He seemed to be everything that our midfield has been crying out for for years. Superb technique, always making himself available for the ball, able to play himself out of any situation and clearly possessing an excellent range of passing. There were a couple of times in the first half he was guilty of attempting a Hollywood pass, but apart from that I'm not sure he gave the ball ball at any stage. He also showed for the second goal that is able to do the dirtier part of playing in midfield by hassling an opponent and winning the ball (although it could have been given as a foul).

Of course it was only one game, and Southend are hardly Barcelona, but for me it was another clear example of there being talented players in the lower leagues if we ever seemed interested in finding them.

And I haven't even mentioned how good his goal was!

Exactly Bearded-Red.

There are some good players below Champ level. We just gotta find 'em when they're young enough and thus cheap enough.

Sadly, someone like Murphy is already being scouted by Prem clubs, so his future will lie there. Don't be surprised if Villa take a punt and pair him up with Ashley Westwood, who they picked up from Crewe last season.

Guest Bert's City

Forget this cabbage cup or play the fringe and youth players in the matches you dont make any money or very little from it there will only be a couple of thousand at the gate for the games the priority is to concentrate on the league.

Forget this cabbage cup or play the fringe and youth players in the matches you dont make any money or very little from it there will only be a couple of thousand at the gate for the games the priority is to concentrate on the league.

Concentrate on the league? Like we have for the last few seasons then! Worked this year.........not :(

You are talking in this thread as if it is a forgone conclusion that you could reach the final of this competition and the belief that your under 21s could compete in it. Your under 21s will struggle to get past round 1. As regards you getting players from Crewe you wouldn't have a chance in a million years. Crewe have and have had for many years one of the best records at bringing young players through their system none of whom will want to play for Bristol City in League 1 and usually any of their better prospects end up at Premier League Clubs.

As regards League 1 itself even if you retain your better players (which I am not convinced you will do you will struggle to go straight back up. Clubs with far better squads than you have struggled when they come down and if you are going to be playing your academy players I would say you will be very lucky to even be a mid table League 1 side.

If you come down with the attitude that you will go straight back up then you will end up with egg on your faces in a similar way to what we did when we were relegated to League 2.

I agree with your point on Crewe players.. Look at Powell and Westwood. We had Maynard from Crewe but those were the days when we were top half Championship. As you say the top players there won't end up in the same league as themselves no doubt. For the record I predict a mid table finish next year and some rebuilding which may take some time to achieve promotion again. Saying that I thought we wouldn't be flirting with the R word last summer and now look at us :laugh:.

You are talking in this thread as if it is a forgone conclusion that you could reach the final of this competition and the belief that your under 21s could compete in it. Your under 21s will struggle to get past round 1. As regards you getting players from Crewe you wouldn't have a chance in a million years. Crewe have and have had for many years one of the best records at bringing young players through their system none of whom will want to play for Bristol City in League 1 and usually any of their better prospects end up at Premier League Clubs.

As regards League 1 itself even if you retain your better players (which I am not convinced you will do you will struggle to go straight back up. Clubs with far better squads than you have struggled when they come down and if you are going to be playing your academy players I would say you will be very lucky to even be a mid table League 1 side.

If you come down with the attitude that you will go straight back up then you will end up with egg on your faces in a similar way to what we did when we were relegated to League 2.

I'm not sure that anybody on this thread has suggested that we should or could sign any of the players that played for Crewe this afternoon?

For me and many posters on this forum it has been an irritant for quite a few years now (as you probably know bearing in mind you seem to spend so much time here) that we have seemingly made very little effort to look around the lower leagues for talented young players that we could sign relatively cheaply. Instead it has appeared that we are lazy when it comes to player recruitment and have spent good money after bad signing Championship journeymen. The number of games I have watched over the last couple of seasons and spotted a player that I felt could do a job for us on a fraction of the wage of some of our underperforming players has been highly annoying. A good example was Cuvelier playing in a game on loan at Walsall earlier in the season, he did things in that game that I haven't seen from our midfielders for many years.

Taking Murphy as an example as he was the stand out player today in my opion. As Harry posted above it has been heavily rumoured that he has attracted Premier League and Championship scouts (lets be honest there should be a wide range of scouts at every single one of Crewe's games anyway) so of course we as a League 1 team next season have no chance of signing him. The real talent in scouting is of course identifying players before anybody else and it should be noted that Murphy made his debut for Crewe in 2008. We finished the 08/09 and 09/10 seasons in 10th place in this league. Are you trying to tell me that we wouldn't have been an attractive prospect at that time?

As for your point about the JPT, I actually agree.

Firstly you should never go into game without giving it your best shot at trying to win. And secondly I am not sure we have achieved enough as a club to turn our nose up at potentially winning a trophy at Wembley, no matter how tinpot (or paint pot in this case) that trophy may be.

Hang on, you can sod off!

You got relegated to League Two a decade ago and your fans bleated about how you'd bounce back! Then comically your fans didn't learn their lesson second time around ("Barca of League Two") and you got egg on your faces AGAIN!

Don't come on here preaching, when your arrogant support has been shown up time and time again - and STILL you are behind the likes of Yeovil, Cheltenham and Exeter! You absolute joker!

Exactly what I was saying about us as well as you. It is very easy to underestimate the League below. The problem is retaining the players you want to retain and then getting new players in when you have just been relegated and gelling them into a good team. Bearded Red I agree when you were 10th in the Championship or EVEN still in the Championship you were in a good position to sign young or good prospects from League 1 and 2 and in all honesty I thought you did with both Pitman and Taylor. I was referring to you if you are now in League 1 where young up and coming players don't tend to look lower than the Championship as their personal targets.

As regards playing young Academy players both League 1 and 2 are rough leagues and players don't generally get the time on the ball before they are hit in the air!!

Probably more so in the basement...Donny and Bournemouth look good for the top 2 in League One and both play football...that said Ryan Taylor will probably come in handy at some point next season.

Guest bcfcsouth

Pointless competition I hope in the first game and every game we then play in this competition we play purely youth and reserves. Id want straight out of this!

Yea, it's not like the extra money from a final appearance could come in handy.....

Guest Oldland Red 08

Hang on, you can sod off!

You got relegated to League Two a decade ago and your fans bleated about how you'd bounce back! Then comically your fans didn't learn their lesson second time around ("Barca of League Two") and you got egg on your faces AGAIN!

Don't come on here preaching, when your arrogant support has been shown up time and time again - and STILL you are behind the likes of Yeovil, Cheltenham and Exeter! You absolute joker!

To be fair and so are we, we'll at least behind the likes of Yeovil ......

Where do you get off pal?

No-one on here has said we'd be signing someone from Crewe.

And people are saying play the u-21's so that they can gain experience, not so that we can win it easily with our youth.

There are not many on here who are positive of an instant return once we go down, so stop spouting your decrepit propaganda around the place and kindly nip off back from whence you came.

Funny how so many of you gassholes have turned up on these pages in recent weeks (in fact a large influx in recent days says it all).

No-one on here has any interest in anything you and your gasshole cronies spout, so if you'd be so kind, please remove yourself from our area and return to your own festering community to discuss how your shiny new Unibowl will finally take you above the Red Antichrists - remember it's now 5,000 days and counting since you experienced such wondrous phenomena (I'll work it for you gapper - that's 13 and a half years!).

Message to all City fans on here - don't bother responding to any of these gassholes when they appear on here in ever growing numbers once our plight is confirmed (I know I've just done this, but I think I may have got away with it!!).

They may come with the name 'Friendly Gas' or some such oxymoronical pseudonyms, but it's for the interests of everyone of us to ignore the tepid little tarts and not give them the pleasure they so desperately crave - even acknowledging their existence is a victory for them, please let them be.

Mr Friendly Gas-hole - this is my last words to you : I'm not interested in what you've got to say, now kindly crawl back to your own forum and pretend you have friends over there - cuz no-one here is gonna be your mate (possibly cuz you talk garbage and you most likely smell - quite a lot). Bye now.

Archived