IGNORED

Edson Opinion The Ep Today

Robbored

Guest KingswoodRed

Very eloquently put too if you ask me.

Doesn't get personal, and when all said and done, do you think Wilson can go any further?

I don't.

Guest stevey2005

thanks for the link i agree with nobby word for word hes definately hit the nail on the head

Must admit, whether it be on the forum or on his Soapbox, it is very difficult to argue against the points put forward.

I know that there will be counter arguements, but for me, I have turned from being pro DW to siding with Edson on this topic.

Until anyone can tell me what will be different next season under DW? :laugh:

Guest XrAnGeX

Until now I have been 50/50 on the debate, however I feel Edson has got it spot on. Not only is it his opinion, but a well writen article of truths.

Guest GoneWest

Spot on.

There's no such thiing as 'failure' in management speak... just 'learning experiences'.

Wilson isn't prepared to learn.

Perhaps the final ironic twist of my response to this message when he posted it on the forum was Edson's objection to me using political similes - there he is on his soapbox!

Yep Nail Hit Head, the only point i could even think about taking issue with is the one about him living so far away, i think it does make a difference, but it can easily be argued the other way as well, especially as Barlow is one hell of a coach.

I wonder if Barlow would like a go at management as i think he could do well.

Guest red_pill
It is my honest belief that Danny has lost the belief of a sufficient number of players, staff

A truly excellent piece, but I have one question...

Do we have any evidence that Wilson has lost the dressing room? I'm not doubting that it may well be true, but I've not seen anything that directly/explicitly indicates this. I know very few footballers (particularly English ones) would be brave/stupid enough to openly criticise their manager in the media, particularly a manager like Wilson who seems to have his favourites.

What we do know is it seems that players are staying at city this season (so far, anyway) and that new players are willing to sign (would Gillespie sign for a club with such low morale, considering morale must have been low before the play-off final, and alledgedly other clubs were interested), but I suppose that this may be a reflexion of the current transfer market as much as anything else.

We also know that the manager appears to have total support from the board. This, I know, is pretty meaningless because the chairman will always publicly back his man with the usual platitudes - we all know that the vote of confidence is the kiss of death - but the fact is Wilson still has his job, although he appears to have been on holiday since the final whistle on Sunday. Mr Lansdown is a business man who, whilst being unwilling to provide open pockets to the club (I don't mean that to his detriment), he will be keen to protect his investment, and if that means taking the financial blow in sacking Wilson, that is surely what he would do - this is the real world, and I'm sure that the price of lack of promotion for another season would be greater than the price of paying off wilson.

Please don't take this as happy-clappy unwavering Wilson support - my feelings are ambivalent at the moment, but this is obviously an important point. If Wilson HAS lost the support of his team, there is only one course of action. But if the team are fully behind their manager, could the consequences of getting rid be greater than missing promotion this season?

I lack the eliquence of Edson, as I speak my mind, not alway in a tactful manner, but I'm in 100% agreement, specially the part about, losing the dressing room...he has, without doubt, and damaged players confidence into the bargain, which is unforgiveable, and atrocious man management.

City cannot afford to carry this "nobody" as Paulo dic Canio puts it, any longer.

Well done Edson...respect for putting what the mass of us long suffering fans really feel about this disappointing season. If we had lost out, and played well getting there, it would still be hard, but this dismal end to the season really, really hurts...I wasnt this gutted when we were relegated a few years back, because that time we deserved little else. With all the money spent I would expect a much better effort.

Thank you Edson, from all of us.

Do we have any evidence that Wilson has lost the dressing room? I'm not doubting that it may well be true, but I've not seen anything that directly/explicitly indicates this. I know very few footballers (particularly English ones) would be brave/stupid enough to openly criticise their manager in the media, particularly a manager like Wilson who seems to have his favourites.

This is a very good point RP.

If we have evidence that DW has lost the dressing room then action must be taken.

Edson, would be interesting to expand on this one? :P

Do we have any evidence that Wilson has lost the dressing room?

I don't know, in all honesty. It is purely supposition on my part. Having said that, the theory behind my supposition is this:

Look on this forum and you will see a lot of people having major doubts about Danny's ability to take us further next season. The split on here seems to be roughly 50-50 (judging by the poll), though I guess, in reality, it is more in favour of Danny than that. Nevertheless, it is a position of some instability from which Danny must move us forward next season.

If 40% of the supporters (for argument's sake) feel that it is time for Danny to go, is it unfair to presume that 40% of the players are having similar doubts?

They, just like anyone else connected with the club, have seen the baffling team selections, substitutions and all the rest of it. Just because they are players won't, in my opinion, make them any less likely to be majorly concerned about where we go from here.

Okay, they will be more 'in the know' than the average fan, about why certain decisions are made. But I would be very surprised if a number of them aren't wavering in their belief that Danny has it in him to get us promoted, after another year of falling short.

That is, as with anything I write, purely my opinion.

If Steve Lansdown keeps Danny as manager next season, then I will obviously respect his decision and support the club as passionately as I always have, and desperately hope that his instinct is right and mine is wrong. However, with a season just finished, I feel now is the time to air our feelings, before knuckling down for the 2004-05 campaign.

Can Danny get us promoted next season? In my opinion, no. But if Steve's opinion is 'yes, he can', then I will support his decision and not suggest he is removed from his post again, until the outcome of the season to come is known.

In my view making the supposition that Wilson has lost the dressing is very much clutching at straws in an effort to support your anti -Wilson position.There is absolutely no hard evidence of that being the case.None.

If it were true - do you not think that Steve Landsdown would know? and if he did know do you think he would continue to support Wilson? No he would not.

Wilson would have left the club "my mutual consent" by now.

I have no strong feelings either way about Wilson and so my point is not based on a counter position to yours.Its based on the fact that you are using unproven arguement,thereby weakening your arguement - unless of course you have inside information that you cannot disclose for reasons of confidentiality.

The best arguements are always supported by proven fact.

A good article.

My own opinion is that despite his failure to get us up in his time here, he offers us the best chance of getting us promotion next season. A new manager, with a new style and with different ideas, would simply upset things and put us back another 2 years.

I think, though, that if Danny doesn't get instant results (ie. wins) from the start of next season, Steve L will sack Danny, and I for one would support him.

BS4

Guest red_pill
My own opinion is that despite his failure to get us up in his time here, he offers us the best chance of getting us promotion next season. A new manager, with a new style and with different ideas, would simply upset things and put us back another 2 years.

This is going to make me sound like one of the "Wilson-out" brigade, which I'm not necessarily, but isn't there the reverse of your argument, that "a new manager, with a new style and with different ideas" might be a good thing?

We all know the only undeniable facts - Bristol City were not promoted this year, or last year, after getting so close both times. Can Wilson do it next year? Should he be rewarded for getting us so close, or fired for not succeeding?

As i've said, i'm ambivalent, because I just don't know. I'm only a bloke who supports my club, and loves watching them play.

I suppose the only opinion that counts is Mr. Lansdowns. He has to take a very risky gamble either way. Will he listen to the fans calling for Wilson's head? Is Wilson still in the job only because he feels he can't be seen to bow to fan pressure, and is waiting for the 'fuss' to die down?

I'd love to own a football club, but I wouldn't fancy Steve's job right now...

Changing managers mid season obviously affected Palace (Relegation Candidates when Dowie arrived) and our nemesis Brighton, didnt it? If a team has ability, but little self belief, a new manager will benefit that team. They are playing to impress the new manager, and a new spirit pervades. It does not always help bottom of the table teams, although it helped the Gas.

I think the happies are grasping at straws now!! This team should be capable of going up, and with a decent manager could well do, a la Palace & Brighton.

As to the dressing room, although there is no proof, it would explain several things;

1. the little tiffs all over the pitch when things aint going to plan.

2. The shattered self confidence Lee Miller in particular, but Robbo, & Wilkshire.

3. The frequent headless chicken whooooooooosh we play as we get desparate.

4. He STILL doesnt know his first choice team, and their positions after what three full seasons.

The substitutions, the playing players out of position, the strange tactics, and the sticking with players who are patently out of form will not help either.

Guest red_pill

God, swinging between arguements - I'm suppose to be undecided, not promiscuous...

Still...

As to the dressing room, although there is no proof, it would explain several things;

1. the little tiffs all over the pitch when things aint going to plan.

Every team has tiffs during a game - just watch Arsenal and Man.Utd, Ronaldo is terrible at getting on at his teammates, and Henry certainly has his moments

2. The shattered self confidence Lee Miller in particular, but Robbo, & Wilkshire.

He's a young guy, made his first major move and is not regularly playing. Yes, that will shatter confidence, but it is a personal issue, and these guys have to show their professionalism, because it's part of the game. You can only play 11 guys at a time!

3. The frequent headless chicken whooooooooosh we play as we get desparate.

Welcome to Division 2 football  :laugh:

4. He STILL doesnt know his first choice team, and their positions after what three full seasons.

Do we know that? It could be argued that he is a clever manager, adapting the team for the differing types of opposition. Not 100% about that one...

In my view making the supposition that Wilson has lost the dressing is very much clutching at straws in an effort to support your anti -Wilson position.There is absolutely no hard evidence of that being the case.None.

If it were true - do you not think that Steve Landsdown would know? and if he did know do you think he would continue to support Wilson? No he would not.

Wilson would have left the club "my mutual consent" by now.

I have no strong feelings either way about Wilson and so my point is not based on a counter position to yours.Its based on the fact that you are using unproven arguement,thereby weakening your arguement - unless of course you have inside information that you cannot disclose for reasons of confidentiality.

The best arguements are always supported by proven fact.

I know of at least one player who Willson has lost, and he has said that there are others who find so much about his style completely baffling, and basically said there are a fair few players who are not Willson fans.

Oh by the way, for got to say that this player is not a young kid either it's Phillips.

Archived