IGNORED

Striking Mentor Required

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Steve Lansdown's comment that he won't sign players 29/30+ means that we will miss out on a much needed experienced striker to act as a mentor to our current line-up.

Gillespie - 18

Lita - 19

Miller - 21

Roberts - 24

Peacock - 27

With Peacock the only one who is approaching the age of senior pro (and by his own admission, he was hardly a model profesional until he settled down with a family) the strikers are a neglected group.

Phillips has Stowell mentoring him, the defence has Butler and off the pitch, Shaun Taylor, Midfield has Tinman and Danny Wilson.

The loss of Beadle might not have been a disaster in playing terms, but he was a good character to have around, if you've ever heard him summarising on the Radio, you'll know that he is knowledgable and astute.

Before someone calls for the men in white coats, I'm not suggesting that Beadle is re-employed, but I am convinced that our forward line would benefit from a quality striker, who has some ability to coach / mentor the younger strikers.

Whilst it would be hard to knock the 'one for the future' policy, it would also be a great lift to have a 'one for the present' signing.

It's been said before, it is something that we are lacking in.

Please don't jump down my throat for mentioning this, but Mark Robins has now retired from playing, and has stated that he wants to become a manager (I think?) Is it worth signing him up initially on a seasons contract as a coach, whilst he earns his coaching badges (if he hasn't already done so).

Some players go straight into management, and are out of their depth. If he (or somebody in a similar position) was to become a coach at first, then if he can't hack that, then they'll have no chance in management.

Not saying it should be Robins, but somebody with that experience.

Having said that though, you could go a different route, and sign a player/coach (similar to Tins), and one player that immediately comes to mind is Iwan Roberts.

Released this season by Norwich, has played in the Premiership with them and Leicester (I think), and is a goal scorer. Not a young player, but somebody that knows where the back of the net is, and would possibly be interested in becoming a coach.

That way you have somebody that can teach the younger players a thing or two, and also play if needed.

A Goal Scoring coach is needed though.

Aye, someone who knows the whys and wherefores of being in the opposition box and can educate those around him in the finer points ... look at it this way Danny/Steve ... he'd only have had to be worth one goal more to us (at the right time) to have got us up automatically.

Personally, I believe that the odds would be shorter if we could somehow beg, steal or borrow the services of a class act to bolster the front line - where bright young rookies jostle for opportunities alongside Lee Peacock who struggles to achieve the week-in week-out consistency required of the seasoned pro. - BCL! "Half-Time Report", Xmas 2003

Blimey Red Goblin this has to be a first, we agree!

Joe still lives in Bristol and anyone who signed Bob Taylor, Wayne Allison, Nicky Morgan, Paul Agostino, Shaun Goater etc in his spells with us plus his own fantastic playing career must be able to do a better coaching job on strikers than the retired former players club that our current coaching set up has become.

Archived