IGNORED

Davies

Briz

Guest Bob Taylor's Knob

Was at rangers on Saturday and thought he looked a lot thinner at fitter, no he didn't play well, but fair play to him for losing weight

Maybe he's poorly.

Guest Know the Score

Honestly when I first saw him i thought it was Waggy? He's dropped a lot of weight, makes you wonder was he match fit last year??

Millwall have made an enquiry, apparently.....

I doubt it, its just recycled rubbish from here thats been going round and round since january,

anyway I don't think there will be any transfers in and out (albert aside) until the team come back from spain

Right so everyone is writing off Davies before a ball has even been kicked....seriously get a life. Some people honestly don't have a clue.

Just a crazy idea but why not acknowledge the fact he has clearly worked his ass off over the summer to shift weight and get fit!?

If he plays 35+ games next season I am prepared to bet anyone on here in excess of 20quid that he will score at least 20 in all comps this season.

Guest Red751

Davies will be gone before the end of transfer window, either millwall or ipswich so if doesnt matter how well he is playing in preseason

Guest RedZoneJim

Am I the only one who thought he didn't look fit at all against Rangers?? Whether he's lost a couple of pounds or not he's still not athletic! I think you're right he will score goals but if we can flog him and bring in someone cheaper that fits the new young and hungry bill I'd rather we did that. There has got to be some gems out there capable of scoring the same number of goals but without being so bloody frustrating. The ball just kept bouncing off him on Saturday. If we're going to play more possession based football him not constantly giving the ball away's going to be quite important! Davies has got so much ability but looks like he can't be arsed half the time. And getting 35+ games out of him's a bit optimistic I think.

Guest RedZoneJim

No I rate him a lot, he'll just be expensive for the division and if we can get a half-decent offer for him I think we should sell cos he's not so outstanding you'd be desperate to keep him. Same with Baldock although at least Baldock looks fit and that he does care. Sometimes Davies' body language does him no favours when he's got great ability.

I think I'll judge him on his performances on the pitch in games that mean something. Not on how slim he looks. Or for that matter how pissed off he may look. My gut feeling is he still has a lot to offer and has shown glimpses of this already. I do hope he turns up for us this season as I would love to see him do well here.

No I rate him a lot, he'll just be expensive for the division and if we can get a half-decent offer for him I think we should sell cos he's not so outstanding you'd be desperate to keep him. Same with Baldock although at least Baldock looks fit and that he does care. Sometimes Davies' body language does him no favours when he's got great ability.

If we sell Davies and/or baldock we will be very light up front, we need a striker as it is!

Guest RedZoneJim

If we sell Davies and/or baldock we will be very light up front, we need a striker as it is!

Yeah I'm not suggesting flogging one and not replacing them.....

Am I the only one who thought he didn't look fit at all against Rangers?? Whether he's lost a couple of pounds or not he's still not athletic! I think you're right he will score goals but if we can flog him and bring in someone cheaper that fits the new young and hungry bill I'd rather we did that. There has got to be some gems out there capable of scoring the same number of goals but without being so bloody frustrating. The ball just kept bouncing off him on Saturday. If we're going to play more possession based football him not constantly giving the ball away's going to be quite important! Davies has got so much ability but looks like he can't be arsed half the time. And getting 35+ games out of him's a bit optimistic I think.

He played in 37 league games last season

I like Davies. Very skilful and intelligent player which in my book would make him an O'Driscoll type player. If he had shed some weight then great. If things haven't clicked for him so far then I'm sure it will. He will get goals in this league especially if given a regular run in the team and JET can work his magic.

My only concern would be that if he wasn't getting stuck in in the friendlies this is because he doesn't want to risk injuring himself and jepoardising a move. I have absolutely no basis for this thinking other than the fact most professionals want to play at the highest level they can. His role is persuading Fielding to come here suggests he's happy and committed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Davies left for a championship side (pretty much any of them) if they came in for him. However, clubs weren't tripping over themselves to sign him when he had his falling-out with Clough, in fact, Ipswich appeared to have a clear run at it until they had to, ultimately, admit that they couldn't afford him, and Del stepped in. Did he enhance his reputation with us last season? well, his scoring record was 'decent' but fitness appeared to be an issue. If he really wants to give this SO'D / div 1 thing a go, I'd love him to stay.

Guest Anglia Red

we should not sale - who are we going to get for £500,000. A fit Davies will score plenty at this level. Why would he go to Millwall and fight another relegation battle with them? This is what it will be. Unless we have got someone with a decent scoring record lined up we should not even be contemplating this.

I doubt it, its just recycled rubbish from here thats been going round and round since january,

anyway I don't think there will be any transfers in and out (albert aside) until the team come back from spain

So it wasn't true then?

Guest Evander SnowyField

we should not sale - who are we going to get for £500,000. A fit Davies will score plenty at this level. Why would he go to Millwall and fight another relegation battle with them? This is what it will be. Unless we have got someone with a decent scoring record lined up we should not even be contemplating this.

True. I would've thought he'd be better off with us once you take goal bonuses etc into account? Not really sure what I'm on about but millwall look doomed!

The article relating to Millwall's interest says "2 verbal bids" Surely "verbal bisd" don't happen nowadays..?!

Surely if a club is interested in another clubs player, then they may sound them out for interest via an agent, but surely any contact between the 2 clubs would be by way of an offial club email/fax, laying out the full details of their bit for the selling club to consider.

I find it hard to believe that someone from Millwall has called someone at City saying "hello mate, fancy selling us SD for £xxxx?"

then after that conversation resulted is a "no, your alright mate, but how was you holiday..?" from City's end, that the person from Millwall would then ring back again saying "oh come on! ok, tell you what then, I'll give you £xxxx for him. Come on, you know you don't want the fat lump anyway..?"

I would fully expect official transfer bids to be conducted in a far more proffesional format than that!

I think the sooner we get rid of him the better tbh. He didn't look interested in any of the pre season games i've seen him in, he didn't look interested at the end of last season and in general I think he's a lazy git. What's more if JET is going to be our luxury player this season then I don't think we can really afford to have both of them in the same team.

We'd massively regret it if we let Davies go. Pitman situation.

Not the same as Pitman. Pitman wanted to play for us, but wasn't rated by the manager at Championship level. Davies has proved he can score goals at Championship level, and may want to still play at that level. If he doesn't want to play in League One and a Championship club wants him, then there is little we can do but get the best possible deal for him.

We all saw the damage Brett did in League 1 last year. Davies isn't as good as Brett (in my opinion) but he isn't far off finishing-wise and could easily get 15 goals with the right service. I'd expect the club to want at least 750k for a proven Championship goalscorer (strikers don't come cheap) and I really hope the club has learned from its previous mistake in not utilising a player like Pitman, or now in this case possibly Davies. The front three of Baldock, Davies and Emmanuel-Thomas is probably our biggest asset in the squad aside from Cunningham, it'd be crazy to allow any to leave unless we get a ridiculous offer.

The prospect of selling Davies and replacing him with Harewood is the stuff of nightmares.

Anyway, I'm sure Millwall or even Ipswich if they are interested also could afford to spend a lot of money?

Guest bcfcrobin1

Think it would be a good idea if he played against fg on Saturday that way he could get an eye for goal

Would need to get at least a mill for Davies

As stupid comments go on otib this has to be right up there.

At least a million for a player we paid £650k for and who started only half our games?

Some on here have absolutely no idea where we are at present.

Here's a few facts, we have already shelled out £500k in transfer fees this summer and are yet to get even 1p back in return.

Lansdown made it clear that he isn't going to continue to fund signings as he did in the past and Davies is one of our highest earners (and I'm guessing here) I'm not convinced O'Driscoll rates him anyway.

If Millwall offer in excess of £400k he'll be gone.

As stupid comments go on otib this has to be right up there.

At least a million for a player we paid £650k for and who started only half our games?

Some on here have absolutely no idea where we are at present.

Here's a few facts, we have already shelled out £500k in transfer fees this summer and are yet to get even 1p back in return.

Lansdown made it clear that he isn't going to continue to fund signings as he did in the past and Davies is one of our highest earners (and I'm guessing here) I'm not convinced O'Driscoll rates him anyway.

If Millwall offer in excess of £400k he'll be gone.

Hahhahaha

The article relating to Millwall's interest says "2 verbal bids" Surely "verbal bisd" don't happen nowadays..?!

Surely if a club is interested in another clubs player, then they may sound them out for interest via an agent, but surely any contact between the 2 clubs would be by way of an offial club email/fax, laying out the full details of their bit for the selling club to consider.

I find it hard to believe that someone from Millwall has called someone at City saying "hello mate, fancy selling us SD for £xxxx?"

then after that conversation resulted is a "no, your alright mate, but how was you holiday..?" from City's end, that the person from Millwall would then ring back again saying "oh come on! ok, tell you what then, I'll give you £xxxx for him. Come on, you know you don't want the fat lump anyway..?"

I would fully expect official transfer bids to be conducted in a far more proffesional format than that!

There's a good scene in the film Moneyball involving player transfers. Yeah it's in Baseball but it's very very good.

Technically a good player but on many occasions last season his attitude stunk the place out.

21 starts last season and a high number of sub appearances because for large parts of the season he was unfit, fair enough if he's carrying knocks, but generally based on comments out of the club from SoD and McInnes he wasn't a player who looked after himself.

Rumours of personal problems off the field have dogged him at Derby and down here.

Most importantly for me though is his attitude, not a player to get stuck in when the going gets tough, that in addition to his no doubt large wages,

I'd have no problem seeing the back of him ASAP.

I fear for our front line if Davies goes ! deadball situations we dont have anyone better, technically very good.

i would play him as a no10, he is not a traditional (steady) style striker and will not work hard, as someone else posted, him and jet in the same squad mmmm :punish:

Baldock with all the hype surrounding his arrival has not inspired me at all, i hope im proved wrong but he just seems like a sick note and has his head up his own arse - prove us wrong please, step up to the plate !

Taylor - i quite like as a hard working striker, not a goal scoring machine but works hard and the ball does stick.

Burns - looked amazing for his sub role with Reid at the end of last season - then he has flat lined somewhat, hope he can pick his game up, he has loads of pace and imo will come good.

I hope and pray SOD gets it right, we are going through such a transition period and from what i have seen so far, one word sums up performances for me so far - confused.

Time will allow the team to bond and provide a recognised style of play, something we are not seeing at the moment and if the rumours about Harewood are true then as long as he puts a shift in every 90-minutes on a Saturday afternoon and scores a few i couldnt give a monkeys ....

if Davies is sold then surely SOD will have to fill the gap with another striker whoever it maybe

I've thought all summer that will lose at least one of Baldock or Davies and, for me anyway, Davies would be a much greater loss.

He isn't the most athletic player in the world and he won't spend all afternoon chasing lost causes, but he is a talent and someone that could be superb for us in this league if we manage to get the best out of him.

His style of play will always lead to some arguing that he doesn't care or that his heart isn't in it, but I wouldn't agree with those statements. I actually thought that the times he was asked to play as 'number 9' he gave it his best shot, but his obvious weaknesses paired with our hopeless style of play meant he could never really fulfil that role. As I said, he won't be someone running the channels or chasing aimless passes, but I would actually prefer it if our most talented players were allowed the freedom to do the things that potentially win us games. We've surely all seen enough marathon runners attempt to be footballers that we would all prefer watching footballers being footballers?

I also struggle to see where people get this 'doesn't want to be here' stuff. I am of course probably reading far too much into it, but in the Ashton and Backwell game he was constantly trying to advise and help the younger players. A couple of times Bobby Reid attempted a pass and just over hit it and Davies was going out of his way to encourage him to keep trying it. That doesn't strike me as the actions of someone who isn't interested and wants out as soon as possible. His comments to, by all accounts his good mate, Fielding would also be considered strange for someone who can't wait to get away...

Throughout last season I suggested that we should have attempted to play him in a similar role to the one David Noble played most of his football for us in. He has an excellent first touch, can pick a pass and is dangerous from outside the box. As much as I rate him, it was really a silly signing form McInnes as once again we signed a talented forward player without any real idea or plan on how we would get the best out of him or how we could even fit him in the team at times. If we play the style of football this season under SO'D that most expect us to then I feel Davies could be fantastic for us. If we are playing the ball on the floor and have plenty of movement and get players around him, he could do a good job at playing up front alone (or with a partner). If we plan on sending hopeless balls up the field and leaving him isolated then of course his talents will be wasted and weaknesses will be magnified, just like so many of our recent strikers.

As a few other people have mentioned, in the two games I've seen him in pre season (he was utterly hopeless against Rangers in fairness) he does seem to look much more athletic now than he did last season and if he stays I do hold high hopes for him in the season coming.

The problem is for O'Driscoll that we have a wage cap and he has to manage it and build the best squad possible within those constraints. Unlike on this forum where it seems people believe that building a squad is as simple as 'get rid of x,y and z, keep a, b and c and sign m, n and o' in the real world we can only offload players that are other clubs are interested, and the sad reality is (excluding Foster) other teams only usually want your better players. If SO'D believes that the fee and the loss of Davies' obviously relatively high wages can be better spent elsewhere then we will have to trust him, but in an ideal world I would love for us to keep him.

Surely he would not want to join Millwall?

I think 500k would be hard to turn down but my main concern would be who would we get in to replace him? I have no doubt SoD would work his magic again mind, but I think Davies could be exceptional for us next season. I said earlier in the thread if he plays 35+ games he will score at least 20 next season.

SoD will use him right and he will be extremely lethal at this level if he can stay fit!

Guest Tauntons Finest

Can't see where Harewood would fit in with SOD's so called philosophy.

Hope this isn't true

Someone said Pitman is better than Davies. Hilarious.

How so?

Better finisher, better link up play, I'd go as far as saying better work-rate even though it's one of Brett's negative points (to an extent). Pitman scored more for Bournemouth last season (20) than Davies has ever scored in a single season in his career (13). Ask Bournemouth if they'd swap Pitman for Davies, it'd be a negative response. Before it's said Pitman's goals last year were in L1, well Davies scored 5 goals in 60 games for Tranmere if I recall correctly and Pitman also scored 13 goals in the Championship when called upon with less starts.

Similar players but Pitman edges it for me.

Edit - Sorry for going off-topic, I've made my stance on the Harewood/Davies situation clear already.

Archived