IGNORED

Mr John Lansdown.....stay Strong?

Guest harvey

Mr L

you are no doubt as concerned the latest results are by no means favourable. I am not going to ramble on about that I really do believe SOD will get it right. the whole club is currently going through massive changes both on and off the field. we are in debt to the tune of millions things needed to change for the long term. 

I believe SOD is the man to get us on track for the long term. so the time is for you  to stay strong and hold your nerve. You will feel the wrath of fans . like Tinnion and Millen before, but changing managers is not the answer.

SOD will get it right be patient, stay strong it's way to early to even think of replacing the manager.

Guest citynut54

Exactly!! It's changing managers every five minutes that's got us into this mess. The moaneres have to realise that this is real life and nor an X Box game. You can't reboot just because things aren't going how you want.

and some of you need to realise that we are entitled to be frustrated and vent it ... who knows what a new manager could bring? no one so niether party is right , a win may see some attitudes change who knows but to sit there and say that your opinion is worth more than anyone elses is rather foolish .. I for one have changed ships and think if we dont win one of next three its time for sod to go .. my beliefs are no more valid than yours but to me are correct so stop preaching that ur way is the right way

Let's be fair It's changing managers every five minutes and not selecting the right man that's got us into this mess, let's hope stubbornness for things to happen that may not does not take over if this poor run of results continues and I really want the team to turn the corner and for us to do well, but I can understand 21 without a league win fans will be sharpening the knives (fans have been patient enough) , we really can't drop down another league just for looking to the future, people of the present want to be entertained.

Testing times ahead.

Exactly!! It's changing managers every five minutes that's got us into this mess. The moaneres have to realise that this is real life and nor an X Box game. You can't reboot just because things aren't going how you want.

If something i have is not working as it should i will get rid.

I did not employ the managers.

The board made the mistakes.It is the paying moaners that have a right to voice their opinions whether they are right or wrong is another thing.

It would be good just to see a performance with a win or some kind of improvement.

The same players in the team are there week after week without results, so it has to be down to, those players are just not good enough OR the manager does not know what to do next.

He is trying to get his system to work, surely he should have other tricks up his sleeve to try out.

As someone else has mentioned one win could make the difference, but other teams see the way we play and make things harder.

Dont fix if its not broke, this looks broke, so...

if you bring in someone else, they will still have the same, players, five pillars, less money as we will have to pay off odriscoll which will eat in to the transfer kitty?

I saw a quote on facebook it read as,  if you cant support when we lose, don't support us when we draw or win !!

O'Driscoll will take us down - no doubt in my mind.  But it is the board and the owner who are culpable for the massive mismanagement of Bristol City FC and have overseen the biggest debt the club has ever witnessed.  

For me, it is so bad that I think it will take another 1982 to rectify it - that's how I feel.

Lansdown, even for all the money he's "invested" (which we now owe to him), has presided over the club's biggest fall from grace since 1980 and this will not end until he and his muppet board are removed.

if you bring in someone else, they will still have the same, players, five pillars, less money as we will have to pay off odriscoll which will eat in to the transfer kitty?

I saw a quote on facebook it read as,  if you cant support when we lose, don't support us when we draw or win !!

So you can't support the team and be critical? That's ridiculous.

We don't have a team of world beaters, but they are better than 24th in league 1. Something is wrong.

When money is tight and we have to stick to the 5 pillars, that's when you really need a manager that can work with it and have that extra spark to motivate what we've got. I'm not seeing this with SOD. They club are doing the right things and making the right noises, but we have the wrong man at the helm.

SOD has a style of play which appears the players are not picking up that well, forest fans will say the same, don't get me wrong I hope it clicks with the team and there have been glimpses of a city passing game and playing well but it does not put points on the board in a day and age of money/results business, time is your enemy (no consistency)

So just how long do you give things to work? SOD may have to change tactics to get us out this mess, after all he signed these players to fit the clubs profile and play his way? some don't seem to be doing it??,, So is it money restrictions stopping him buying the best tools to do the job? if he came in just after Johnson he would have a bigger purse to sign what he really wanted,, i'm concerned he is the right man at the wrong time with what he really wants to do??.

The longer in or near the bottom 4 nearer Christmas you just know your in for a scrap

O'Driscoll will take us down - no doubt in my mind.  But it is the board and the owner who are culpable for the massive mismanagament of Bristol City FC and have overseen the biggest debt the club has ever witnessed.  

For me, it is so bad that I think it will take another 1982 to rectify it - that's how I feel.

Lansdown, even for all the money he's "invested" (which we now owe to him), has presided over the club's biggest fall from grace since 1980 and this will not end until he and his muppet board are removed.

WOW.....

Now that's set the bar....!!!!

Back in the day I remember getting slated after SL took control & vented my support for the Davidson/Neale regime..

But while I do believe SL had the club's interest at heart with his millions, much was focused on the fact that he wanted a 'play thing' to help pump his dosh into..

Many mistakes have happened along the way, starting with the appointment of Pulis when we could have had Moyes.

But we are we're we are and with hindsight SL said he wouldn't have done certain things...

We can't change the past, and while I do tend to agree with your words.. We have to try and stay positive in light of where SL and the board have seen us end up...

Mr L

you are no doubt as concerned the latest results are by no means favourable. I am not going to ramble on about that I really do believe SOD will get it right. the whole club is currently going through massive changes both on and off the field. we are in debt to the tune of millions things needed to change for the long term. 

I believe SOD is the man to get us on track for the long term. so the time is for you  to stay strong and hold your nerve. You will feel the wrath of fans . like Tinnion and Millen before, but changing managers is not the answer.

SOD will get it right be patient, stay strong it's way to early to even think of replacing the manager.

The first thing to point out is that it is not John Lansdown who is in charge.  Keith Dawe is the Chairman, and I guess would have the final say in such matters (on the proviso that most of the board members and owner feel enough pressure to make a change).

So you should be asking "The Board" to stay strong, not specifically JL.

Anyway, I've stayed pretty silent on the matter over the last few weeks but I'll tell you where I am.

I want SOD to be a success.  I honestly believe he is the right man to take this club where it ultimately wants to be.  However, I am not blind to the fact that it's a results business.  SOD is also not blind to that fact and has been quoted as such many times.  The Board are also not blind to that fact.

If there is evidence of improvement (even if that be slow and steady) then there is always an argument to stick to your guns.  For the most part of this season I personally have seen signs of improvement in certain aspects of our game.  There are still deficiencies in other parts though, so I'm not coming from an 'everything is rosy' perspective.

Results are of course the be all and end all (whether rightly or wrongly), but the "performances" we hear so much about can keep you in a job if these are heading in the right direction.  For me, the performances have generally been ok, but there have been some poor shows in the last 2 outings at Wycombe & Crewe, so there has to be an element of concern there.

I feel as though the Head Coach has been gaining some success in implementing his vision, but has been let down by a number of "senior" or more "experienced" players at crucial times.  Fielding v Bradford.  Fonts v Cov.  Baldock v Gills.  Baldock v MK Dons.  Shorey v Shrews.  Baldock v Colch.  Flint v Vale.  Wagstaff v Crewe.

These mistakes could easily have seen us have an extra 12-14 points on the board and things would be very different.

As I said though, I am not blind to the fact that results rule, and we haven't been getting them.  How long can this go on?  I don't know.  But what I would say is that if the performances begin to become unacceptable as well as the results, then change may very well happen.

The Wycombe & Crewe performances have NOT been good enough.  If we see another poor performance v Brentford then I dread to think what might start to get into motion!

I want SOD to be a success.  I honestly believe he is the right man to take this club where it ultimately wants to be.  However, I am not blind to the fact that it's a results business.  SOD is also not blind to that fact and has been quoted as such many times.  The Board are also not blind to that fact.

I don't think the problem is SOD but in the fact that many of the players are not good enough for this division. The league table doesn't lie. I this respect, I can't see that sacking SOD will make much difference.

Players are good enough they need someone who can get them going now not telling them it okay to loose if they play well

if they lose because of a mistake they need to get destroyed

odriscoll said scott wagstaff will not of slept well last night and he didnt have to say anything......

bollocks if i mess up at work and cost my company money accident or not i get told and if i do it again im out too many mistake tell me the players arent learning and they need to fast

Guest Pickled Onion

The first thing to point out is that it is not John Lansdown who is in charge. Keith Dawe is the Chairman, and I guess would have the final say in such matters (on the proviso that most of the board members and owner feel enough pressure to make a change).

Anyway, I've stayed pretty silent on the matter over the last few weeks but I'll tell you where I am.

I want SOD to be a success. I honestly believe he is the right man to take this club where it ultimately wants to be. However, I am not blind to the fact that it's a results business. SOD is also not blind to that fact and has been quoted as such many times. The Board are also not blind to that fact.

If there is evidence of improvement (even if that be slow and steady) then there is always an argument to stick to your guns. For the most part of this season I personally have seen signs of improvement in certain aspects of our game. There are still deficiencies in other parts though, so I'm not coming from an 'everything is rosy' perspective.

Results are of course the be all and end all (whether rightly or wrongly), but the "performances" we hear so much about can keep you in a job if these are heading in the right direction. For me, the performances have generally been ok, but there have been some poor shows in the last 2 outings at Wycombe & Crewe, so there has to be an element of concern there.

I feel as though the Head Coach has been gaining some success in implementing his vision, but has been let down by a number of "senior" or more "experienced" players at crucial times. Fielding v Bradford. Fonts v Cov. Baldock v Gills. Baldock v MK Dons. Shorey v Shrews. Baldock v Colch. Flint v Vale. Wagstaff v Crewe.

These mistakes could easily have seen us have an extra 12-14 points on the board and things would be very different.

As I said though, I am not blind to the fact that results rule, and we haven't been getting them. How long can this go on? I don't know. But what I would say is that if the performances begin to become unacceptable as well as the results, then change may very well happen.

The Wycombe & Crewe performances have NOT been good enough. If we see another poor performance v Brentford then I dread to think what might start to get into motion!

Great summary and logic - exactly where I am Harry.

So you can't support the team and be critical? That's ridiculous.

We don't have a team of world beaters, but they are better than 24th in league 1. Something is wrong.

When money is tight and we have to stick to the 5 pillars, that's when you really need a manager that can work with it and have that extra spark to motivate what we've got. I'm not seeing this with SOD. They club are doing the right things and making the right noises, but we have the wrong man at the helm.

I understand what you mean. SoD is rapidly losing the faith of fans with each and every defeat. Fans have wanted him to succeed but he just hasnt got that rapport that ultimately makes you ,for want of a better word, believe.

For me, Bristol City are my club and they are dying at the moment. Sean O'Driscoll and Bristol City are 2 separate things. If you have to lose one to save the other....my head says not to sack him keep the long term plan in place as we surely can't again find ourselves looking to change manager, staff and players. But my heart is beginning to say otherwise as my love is for the club. All good looking into the future but if our grasp is faltering now then then something must change before it's too late. Maybe a few loan signings for a change of formation, but something has to be done.

I understand what you mean. SoD is rapidly losing the faith of fans with each and every defeat. Fans have wanted him to succeed but he just hasnt got that rapport that ultimately makes you ,for want of a better word, believe.

For me, Bristol City are my club and they are dying at the moment. Sean O'Driscoll and Bristol City are 2 separate things. If you have to lose one to save the other....my head says not to sack him keep the long term plan in place as we surely can't again find ourselves looking to change manager, staff and players. But my heart is beginning to say otherwise as my love is for the club. All good looking into the future but if our grasp is faltering now then then something must change before it's too late. Maybe a few loan signings for a change of formation, but something has to be done.

I agree with much of that especially the last sentence, I have felt that the lack of a striker has hit us hard, for a year now it has been obvious that Baldock cannot fulfill the loan striker role in fact we do not possess such a striker, but as it seems that SOD is not for turning I cannot see a way out of this at the moment, Harewood has been a poor signing as many thought he would be and Carey has carried his last seasons sick note over to this season, with a threadbare squad it dosen't help.

I agree with much of that especially the last sentence, I have felt that the lack of a striker has hit us hard, for a year now it has been obvious that Baldock cannot fulfill the loan striker role in fact we do not possess such a striker, but as it seems that SOD is not for turning I cannot see a way out of this at the moment, Harewood has been a poor signing as many thought he would be and Carey has carried his last seasons sick note over to this season, with a threadbare squad it dosen't help.

Yup. We need to be using the players we have got with better effect or if we want to persist with SoD's plan we need to bring different players in. Financially obviously it would be more prudent to make what we have work, but as you say that will mean SoD having to rethink. I wonder what will yield first?

I'm wondering if Harewood and Taylor will get some game time together soon. Hardly a chance of a goal between them but they might rough defenders up a bit allowing others to score, stranger things have happened.

As for Carey, I was staggered his contract was renewed again after last season. I couldn't care less how fantastic he is in the dressing room, really shows doesn't it. More worrying is that people are suggesting him for a spell in (temporary) charge with Murray! He has been a great servant yes I totally agree but Bristol City have served him well too. He has been here 2 seasons too long, he might be on a very low wage but a wage is a wage.

Ultimately if we have to change manager yet again soon it will be seen as a failure by Bristol City, and I hate failing at anything.

The first thing to point out is that it is not John Lansdown who is in charge.  Keith Dawe is the Chairman, and I guess would have the final say in such matters (on the proviso that most of the board members and owner feel enough pressure to make a change).

If there is evidence of improvement (even if that be slow and steady) then there is always an argument to stick to your guns.  For the most part of this season I personally have seen signs of improvement in certain aspects of our game.  There are still deficiencies in other parts though, so I'm not coming from an 'everything is rosy' perspective.

Results are of course the be all and end all (whether rightly or wrongly), but the "performances" we hear so much about can keep you in a job if these are heading in the right direction.  For me, the performances have generally been ok, but there have been some poor shows in the last 2 outings at Wycombe & Crewe, so there has to be an element of concern there.

I feel as though the Head Coach has been gaining some success in implementing his vision, but has been let down by a number of "senior" or more "experienced" players at crucial times.  Fielding v Bradford.  Fonts v Cov.  Baldock v Gills.  Baldock v MK Dons.  Shorey v Shrews.  Baldock v Colch.  Flint v Vale.  Wagstaff v Crewe.

As I said though, I am not blind to the fact that results rule, and we haven't been getting them.  How long can this go on?  I don't know.  But what I would say is that if the performances begin to become unacceptable as well as the results, then change may very well happen.

The Wycombe & Crewe performances have NOT been good enough.  If we see another poor performance v Brentford then I dread to think what might start to get into motion!

Good post. I didnt see the Wycombe game, but that sounded dire. I did go yesterday, and although its wasnt great, I did feel that some credit should be given to Crewe. Maybe its becasue they play a passing game too that they had an effective plan to make it more difficult for us. What they did well was to push up into our half even when we had the ball. This meant that

a) we were pasing across a very deep back four - so often going back to the keeper

b) even when our midfield dropped deep to pick up some passes they were being marked tight

c) our full backs were starting from deep all the time and therefore we were less effective going forward out wide.

So, not good enough, and certainly not as good as Port Vale, but frustrating more than poor I'd say. Like you say, how we do Tuesday night will be interesting. Can't help worrying that 24 hours of torrential rain isnt going to help us.

Harry, I do see where you are coming from, however I keep hearing about the passing game but then in commentary and from eye witness reports keep hearing about lumping long aimless balls (ludicrously when Baldock is on his own up front) the commentator made many a mention of this yesterday and too be honest in an almost mocking way, so where does the truth actually lie? because let's be honest much of the problems of the past 3 years are still with us, opposition tend just waltz from their 18 yard box through to our 18 yard box almost totally unmolested and our defending/marking certainly for goals conceded is appalling and we have a 3rd manager who is trying to get us to play with 1 upfront when clearly we do not possess either the midfield or striker to accomplish this.

Being blunt, the major issue at the moment is that we're not getting results.  Up until now I've backed what SOD has been doing - and I'd still maintain that we're not that far away from being a decent team - but there comes a point when the team lacks the belief to get results and continually commits Hari Kari in the last moments of games where you have to question whether the manager is getting things right with the players psychologically.

I'm still willing to give O'Driscoll a bit more time but it's getting harder and harder to make a case for him and, over the next six weeks, performances need to improve significantly from the Wycombe and Crewe games AND points have to start appearing on the board or else his position will be untenable.

Where I do want the board to stay strong though is - even if there is a change of manager - persisting with the policies of buying young and attempting to build passing football and keeping things as stable as possible - ideally keeping hold of as many of Keith Burton, John Pemberton and the youth development staff as possible and going for a manager who wants to tweak things rather than tear everything up and start again yet again.  Partly because that'll set us back another six months and partly because I honestly believe we're not that far away - even if I'm starting to doubt if O'Driscoll is the man who can get us there.

Harry, I do see where you are coming from, however I keep hearing about the passing game but then in commentary and from eye witness reports keep hearing about lumping long aimless balls (ludicrously when Baldock is on his own up front) the commentator made many a mention of this yesterday and too be honest in an almost mocking way, so where does the truth actually lie? because let's be honest much of the problems of the past 3 years are still with us, opposition tend just waltz from their 18 yard box through to our 18 yard box almost totally unmolested and our defending/marking certainly for goals conceded is appalling and we have a 3rd manager who is trying to get us to play with 1 upfront when clearly we do not possess either the midfield or striker to accomplish this.

Es.  The passing game HAS been happening at times.  Not all the time, but sometimes.  Yesterday it didn't seem to work and longer balls were forced, but in general, in most games so far, we've kept the ball well and mostly played decent football.

I can't be bothered to dig it up but I did post something a few weeks back with some analysis on our game (I think it might have been v Colchester?)  Someone on here suggested we'd played long balls up to Baldock all day and I countered that in fact we didn't hit ONE SINGLE long ball in the first half and only a couple in the 2nd half.  I argued that people seem to see what they want to see to suit their own argument.

I'm not sure how many games you get to, but don't be swayed by too much of what gets said on here.  Some on here are very quick to criticise us playing long balls, when in actual fact this doesn't always happen - they probably see one or two and then say we did it all day.

Also, re your comments on the waltzing through the midfield, I again posted some factual analysis on here a couple of weeks ago which clearly showed that in the first 9 or 10 games we very very rarely conceded any chances through the middle.  In complete contrast to last season we weren't being "waltzed" through the middle, and the majority of goals and chances we were conceding were from wide area's.  Again, some people are quick to blame someone or something when in actual fact, we hardly conceded a chance through the middle of the field (aside from speculative efforts from distance).  This was based on actually reviewing the games and factually discovering that we weren't being sliced open through the middle.

The message I guess is this - don't believe all that you read on here buddy!!

As I said earlier, the performances may possibly be saving Sod his job up until now, but with the last 2 games seemingly dropping off in performance levels, I dread to think what Tuesday might bring with a 3rd poor performance in a row.  I sense the board may begin to get an itchy trigger finger if the performances are poor as well as the results.

Where I do want the board to stay strong though is - even if there is a change of manager - persisting with the policies of buying young and attempting to build passing football and keeping things as stable as possible - ideally keeping hold of as many of Keith Burton, John Pemberton and the youth development staff as possible and going for a manager who wants to tweak things rather than tear everything up and start again yet again.  Partly because that'll set us back another six months and partly because I honestly believe we're not that far away - even if I'm starting to doubt if O'Driscoll is the man who can get us there.

I'm afraid though that this won't be easily achieved.  There aren't many managers out there who will be dictated to to come here and accept all of the parameters that will be thrown their way.  They will all want to put their own slant on things and we might very easily see a change to the policy.

Lets think about some of the names who will be in the frame  - Can you see someone like Warnock or Steve Cotterill coming in and playing ball, sticking with the philosophy?

Mr L

What utter nonsense, take you SOD tinted specs and get real.

I'm afraid though that this won't be easily achieved.  There aren't many managers out there who will be dictated to to come here and accept all of the parameters that will be thrown their way.  They will all want to put their own slant on things and we might very easily see a change to the policy.

Lets think about some of the names who will be in the frame  - Can you see someone like Warnock or Steve Cotterill coming in and playing ball, sticking with the philosophy?

No.  But I can't see Warnock or Cotterill coming in and being a success so I'm not too sure what we'd acheive by letting them tear things only for us to do things differently again six months later.  

If getting managers in who look good on paper and had done well elsewhere was all it took then O'Driscoll, Coppell and even McInnes would all have been much more successful than they have been.  The only 'name' candidate currently available I think could suit us Nigel Clough and I think he'd be a man for a long-term project but I'm not convinced he'd turn things round overnight and I'm not sure he's a lot better on paper than O'Driscoll either.

I also don't necessarily think we want or need a big-name manager who'll make major tweaks to the team - especially as there's not much money to tweak things.  I honestly think we've broadly got the personnel and that, if we just had someone who'll drill the defence as a unit and persuade the team to concentrate for 90 minutes, we'd be halfway up the table by now. 

No.  But I can't see Warnock or Cotterill coming in and being a success so I'm not too sure what we'd acheive by letting them tear things only for us to do things differently again six months later.  

If getting managers in who look good on paper and had done well elsewhere was all it took then O'Driscoll, Coppell and even McInnes would all have been much more successful than they have been.  The only 'name' candidate currently available I think could suit us Nigel Clough and I think he'd be a man for a long-term project but I'm not convinced he'd turn things round overnight and I'm not sure he's a lot better on paper than O'Driscoll either.

I also don't necessarily think we want or need a big-name manager who'll make major tweaks to the team - especially as there's not much money to tweak things.  I honestly think we've broadly got the personnel and that, if we just had someone who'll drill the defence as a unit and persuade the team to concentrate for 90 minutes, we'd be halfway up the table by now. 

That sounds just like this guy I've heard about. I think his name is Gary somebody

Well written Harry.

Red Goblin.... Remember that SOD signed most of the players so by definition, in your argument, the manager is, in fact, to blame.

Anyway... I am not for turning.

.....wasn't SOD required to buy players that would accept lower wages than those already here? By definition, they would be lower calibre players or else they'd be off to clubs that would pay more.

But you can change direction when you are driving off a cliff - which we are.

Mr L

Remember this ..seems like you didn't ;listen JL sacking him wont change. We needed to get the club stable now we have to start all over again...who's next  Olly would do a great job but will the politics of games past prevent that...warnock ..he's not really ever taken to the City... WHO's next ?

Mr L

His name is Jon.

And he's a "see you next Tuesday"

Sooner he ***** off to the Channel Islands with his dad the better, the imbeliece has destroyed his fathers work on and off the field for too long.

Archived