IGNORED

"we May Have To Sell Jet" - Sod

Red Ferret

Glos ob, you are realy annoying me with your constant pathetic o dreary remarks, the blo, yod can do no right for you! you basically gloat about not going to games ! when we we're loosing you were on his back, now were unbeaten in 4 you still grab at any excuse to knock him ! you never offer anything constructive you just moan moan moan! you don't even watch the club ffs you've got a sad pathetic agenda against the manager,and I repeat again you don't even watch the club ! why don't you **** off to kingsholm or fgr or wherever, and stop commenting about a club thst you've got no interest in, apart from making nasty sarcastic remarks about! ffs for the third time !you don't even watch us you sad sack !

Glos ob, you are realy annoying me with your constant pathetic o dreary remarks, the blo, yod can do no right for you! you basically gloat about not going to games ! when we we're loosing you were on his back, now were unbeaten in 4 you still grab at any excuse to knock him ! you never offer anything constructive you just moan moan moan! you don't even watch the club ffs you've got a sad pathetic agenda against the manager,and I repeat again you don't even watch the club ! why don't you **** off to kingsholm or fgr or wherever, and stop commenting about a club thst you've got no interest in, apart from making nasty sarcastic remarks about! ffs for the third time !you don't even watch us you sad sack !

Close but;

1) Love my club,

2) Don't rate manager,

3) Watched Gas game, and have seen every goal against and for us, I have in fact seen more home games over the past 10yrs than I have missed, been to Wembley and Mill Std several times

4)Read all reports from fans and min by min reports of every game,

5) Had an "interest" in my club since late 60`s early 70`s and 80`s when I went to all home and most away games,( in fact been to most "old school" grounds.)

6)Had a season ticket for the first 3yrs after the Dolman was built

PLEASE DONT INSULT ME  BY SAYING I HAVE NO INTEREST IN MY CLUB,  

I don't rate our present manager he in my opinion is to dreary, that is because I do care about my club and is my opinion.

If you don't agree that's fine but please you no nothing about me.

The club is very lucky to have fans like some of you guys. In what other branch of the entertainment industry would the departure of the star turn be greeted with a shrug of the shoulders? 

The only thing that might attract fans to the Gate at the moment is JET. After several seasons of dross City finally have a player with some semblance of star quality. If the approach of the club really is to sell off all the crowd pleasing assets to repay Lansdown's self-inflicted debt then it will be a very long time before the crowds start to build again.

Having personally blown the best chance in decades this club has had to establish itself at a decent standard in English football I'm amazed that SL gets as much support as he does.

Guest Mr Wendall

I think SOD is alluding to using JET in a Bale/Spurs situation (obviously not to the same extent) - having to sell our best player so that the overall squad can improve, who can argue if we sell him if we get 2 or 3 good players in with the money? This is the ethos of what we are doing now, buy young sell for a profit then with the money buy young and sell for a profit .... Repeat.

This is the way out club should have been run for the last few years, we've lost money on all our big signings until now, I'm glad that we are taking this sensible approach.

I think SOD is alluding to using JET in a Bale/Spurs situation (obviously not to the same extent) - having to sell our best player so that the overall squad can improve, who can argue if we sell him if we get 2 or 3 good players in with the money? This is the ethos of what we are doing now, buy young sell for a profit then with the money buy young and sell for a profit .... Repeat.

This is the way out club should have been run for the last few years, we've lost money on all our big signings until now, I'm glad that we are taking this sensible approach.

I agree. Though he is going to have to find someone who can score goals at JET's rate, or 2 who score the equivalent number.

Baldock don't make me laugh.

He was at West Ham but was behind the likes of Carlton Cole, Vaz Te and Micky Naymard.

Couldn't get in west ham for a reason, much like he has struggled to get in ours.

Over-rated and just not good enough, see how much we can flog him for in Jan I saw and let's keep hold of the jet.

I'm probably more astounded at the number of people to whom this came as a surprise!

The second the board knew we were Division 1 bound, then this was always going to be their "brave new world" (apologies to Adolus). Until we become financially more stable (end of next season), become almost self-sufficient as a football entity, then nothing will change.

Did some of you NOT expect JET to be off after his current upswing in form?

He really is the L1 standout player atm. People have always known he COULD be a good player, he's now showing it.

Reid, Bryan and Wynter are all earmarked for the same fate IMHO.

Lets be real here - if these lads come on, and they have all shown signs of being above average players, the who on this very forum, would not have taken the following offer?

Its July 2013 - do we keep Reid,Bryan,Wynter and Jet or accept 5 million for the 4?  99% would snatch it.

Just because they are showing what we hoped they could be, how does that change the equation in November?

We could pay some bills and buy 20 players with that money.

He's already sold - its just to who and how much.

I'm having a sneaky thought that Stoke City will come in for him @ 750k - that would probably be enough for a player who has just shown the first consistent batch of form of his career - playing for a team in financial tatters. Someone needs to have a word with young Bryan - he's getting noticed too!

For him though, I would hope, in time and if he continues to thrive and learn, that 750K would just be his deposit payment.

This is how small clubs survive. That's what we are folks - a small club. And until we get to the Prem and stay there, that's all we will ever be.

You all knew this when you signed on!

He doesn't seem to be a Mark Hughes type of player, nor a Stoke one. While SOD can allow him the luxury of strolling around because of his goals at this level. I've said elsewhere that he would be high risk for a Championship club given his track record at that level, much more so for a Prem club. Remember all the talk of Albert going to Swansea or whoever? Perhaps JET will join him at Boro?

The club is very lucky to have fans like some of you guys. In what other branch of the entertainment industry would the departure of the star turn be greeted with a shrug of the shoulders? 

The only thing that might attract fans to the Gate at the moment is JET. After several seasons of dross City finally have a player with some semblance of star quality. If the approach of the club really is to sell off all the crowd pleasing assets to repay Lansdown's self-inflicted debt then it will be a very long time before the crowds start to build again.

Having personally blown the best chance in decades this club has had to establish itself at a decent standard in English football I'm amazed that SL gets as much support as he does.

I agree yet in the current OTIB fanzine five out of six fans polled had Waggy as best player only one other, Alex, voting for JET while in the season player ratings he's down in an incredible 10th !  Maybe he just isn't as popular as some of us think ?

I agree yet in the current OTIB fanzine five out of six fans polled had Waggy as best player only one other, Alex, voting for JET while in the season player ratings he's down in an incredible 10th !  Maybe he just isn't as popular as some of us think ?

Or 5 out of 6 fans (not a very representative sample) are wrong, maybe?

What would generate more money?

Going for promotion with JET, But selling him if we miss out

Or

Selling JET in January and risking trying to buy another striker who can produce the same goals/game ratio

I say keep him and go for it, If we do go up it'll take a huge offer to take him away from us, At this rate he'll score 25-30 this season :o

Guest bcfcboy96

I don't know why everyone's blaming Sean. He's just being honest. Managers don't get as much say, about who's sold and at what price, than most people think. If JET does leave, then the board should be accountable. To me it sounds like Sean is trying to prepare us for the harsh realities, so that he doesn't take everybody's anger come January.
Anyone that thinks we won't get any bids is deluded. Anyone who thinks we wouldn't listen to a good offer is deluded. Anyone who thinks a "good offer" is upward of 4 million is deluded (Unlike Jordan Rhodes, JET has already blotted his Championship copy, so between 2-3 million will be a "good offer").

The true measure of SO'D's management will not be whether JET stays or goes, but in whether he has identified a good replacement and whether we are robust enough to continue the revival after the jolt of losing JET.

Guest Pembrokeshire's Finest

If we do sell JET I really do not know who we are going to replace him with, hopefully a player like Billy Sharp. But then again if he goes will we even replace him? Reckon it's Burn's time to shine?

What's the problem? He didn't even say those words in effect but even so he has to acknowledge reality.

People seriously need to wake up. JET is way way too good for L1 and us for that matter. We are not where we used to be.....let it go! Whilst we can still hold out for a good fee if a large offer came in we would simply have to sell.

Who knows, perhaps clubs might not even come in for him in jan? For him to be as effective elsewhere as he is here you have to more or less build the team around him and let him do what he wants. Are there many championship clubs that could afford him and would do that?

Also he might actually want to stay and play for us under SOD. Wishful thinking but we shall see. Let's just enjoy JET while he's here. The blokes different class.

If it was me I would do all I could to offload Baldock instead. That said we wouldn't get anything like what we would for JET.

• Admin

I don't quite agree with those who say he failed at Championship level. Any manager worth his salt will do a bit of research and note in his two spells in the Championship, he had one at Doncaster where he played in between midfield & attack and impressed & one at Ipswich where they stuck him out the way on the wing & by-and-large he failed to impress.

Back in his correct position, playing between midfield & attack, he is now showing exactly what he can do & I think it's naive to think there isn't a lot of Championship clubs that could accommodate him in a 451 or as a deep lying striker in a 442. If they sign him to stick him on the wing then they deserve the P45 that will one day come their way.

Guest bcfcboy96

Tis the only way forward for a small club like ours.

Think of Southampton ,there is the model,did n't hurt them too much did it?

I'm not sure I'd call Southampton a selling club. They have a good youth system, which has produced players of far higher quality than their league status has been appropriate for. Whilst they have sold some of these youth products, they haven't sold the players that they actually bought. We've bought JET, why sell him 5 months later. Where would Southampton be if they sold all of their best buys when they were stuck in League One, like L****ert, Lallana and Schneiderlin?

Sorry if the point's been already made - it's already a five pager over about 2 spoken quotes - but how about we wait and see what happens and cross the bridge then?

Nothing like conjecture, conspiracy and all round fanny attacks to keep things interesting, though, eh?

I know, it's a forum, it's what we do.

Could this possibility be SO'D letting clubs know we haven't got megabucks to spend? I think we all know the squad will need further strengthening in Jan but by saying it's possible we may need to sell JET clubs will be more reasonable when we come in with an offer. Up until now selling clubs look at Steve Lansdown and think "Lets stick another 20/25% on he's loaded" I think we can all see the club needs to cut outgoings and transfer fees are probably the second highest expenditure after wages. Could we be tempted to cash in on JET of course we could are we likely to I don't think so unless a terrific offer comes in. The thought of a second relegation will sent shivers down the spine of SL and the board and going down after selling the prize asset would be financial suicide. Just how many people would give up their season ticket in response to that scenario? No I think an extended contract for JET is more likely thus increasing his value. That's how I see I anyway.

I've not read all the posts on here, so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

JET may not want to leave.

He came here because SoD built a team around him and allowed him to play how he likes.

JET struggled in the Championship.

Maybe if he has his head on, he's only 22... what about staying with City and trying to get them promoted next season...after all SoD has given him a lifeline.

It could all go Pete tong again if he moves...better the devil you know if you get my drify.

I suppose it all depends what's written in his contract and if City want to let him go for a fee.

But it has to be agreed by both parties...

I agree with semblar. We're on a winner either way. However it depends on what the club do next.

- If JET wants to stay - offer him a new contract NOW.

- If JET leaves for a fee, let that fee be invested by way of recruiting decent players.

Otherwise, we'll have a Albert Adomah situation where we lose our best player and we don't reinvest the money.

If Jet goes, he goes. All players do eventually. Neither here or there really as to what happens if Im honest

PS Lay off G.O.B mind, pack mentality on here is horrendous, we're all Bristol City Fans, we all support the club in our own unique way and have our own views on things, there's no need for the rest of it. 

Steady on - Pack's mentality isn't that bad.  Personally I think it has improved the last couple of games...

I've not read all the posts on here, so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

JET may not want to leave.

He came here because SoD built a team around him and allowed him to play how he likes.

JET struggled in the Championship.

Maybe if he has his head on, he's only 22... what about staying with City and trying to get them promoted next season...after all SoD has given him a lifeline.

It could all go Pete tong again if he moves...better the devil you know if you get my drify.

I suppose it all depends what's written in his contract and if City want to let him go for a fee.

But it has to be agreed by both parties...

I understand where you are coming from and of course you are correct, as we know players have all of the power in transfers these days, the club has little or no power.

But far too many footballers unfortunately don't usually think that way, for far too many it's all about money, our own Mr Killkenny is testament to that, he never joined us because we are a bigger club than Leeds or that we were going to offer him a higher standard of football, he signed for us because we offered him an amount of money that Leeds simply didn't believe his skills set were commensurate with and the rest is history.

However lets hope JET is different, it would certainly add to his 'legend' if he signed a longer contract (if offered) or just said no I want to stay, but as many have said at the right price it could be win/win.

It makes no sense and is a load of rubbish imo, since City for the last year you could argue have been trying to get the club back into shape financially why would they have bought JET in the first place and paid him a high salary? I would say they bought him knowing his talent and what he can give us for the future. Maybe Baldock I could agree with but as JET is a recent summer purchase under SO'D and Jon Lansdown I can't imagine they didn't think about the financial side of it?  

I agree with semblar. We're on a winner either way. However it depends on what the club do next.

- If JET wants to stay - offer him a new contract NOW.

- If JET leaves for a fee, let that fee be invested by way of recruiting decent players.

Otherwise, we'll have a Albert Adomah situation where we lose our best player and we don't reinvest the money.

Did n't we reinvest the money on,amongst others,JET or am i dreaming ?

They've had to print a retraction this morning and admitted SOD didn't say that at all.

"Although at no time did he confirm the forward would definitely be sold"

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/articles/news/article/20059087

Back tracking or what!

The original quote is still online. There's no clarification/retraction to the article. At least not the one I'm looking at.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-forced-sell-star-player-Jay-Emmanuel/story-20057977-detail/story.html

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/story-20057977-detail/story.html?

Does that mean that to get players in we have to sell and that Steve Lansdown is no longer putting his money in,in that case as we get to like a player he will be gone ?

Yep, exactly that. That's where the club are at this present time and for at least 2/3 seasons to come. We can no longer expect to hang onto our 'best' players. We are effectively a 'selling club'. We are in Div 3 afterall and trying to balance the books. 

Did n't we reinvest the money on,amongst others,JET or am i dreaming ?

You're dreaming. The wage budget has been cut considerably this season. We spent a total of around 400K on Flint and Fielding of which Steven Davies fee paid for. JET was on a swap deal for Anderson (who was a free agent).

Therefore that 1 million we got from Adomah went... where?

You're dreaming. The wage budget has been cut considerably this season. We spent a total of around 400K on Flint and Fielding of which Steven Davies fee paid for. JET was on a swap deal for Anderson (who was a free agent).

Therefore that 1 million we got from Adomah went... where?

Paid off a small bit of our outstanding debt as will the 500k plus we get for JET in January.  

I for one am totally pissed off with this statement.

Our Manager is a complete PR liability to our club !!

SOD, please in future keep your mouth well and truly shut

Would that help when Schlockhausen makes it up anyway. Apparently the Post is printing a retraction, probably at the bottom of page 27 under the adverts for massage parlours.

Paid off a small bit of our outstanding debt as will the 500k plus we get for JET in January.

I'd like to think we'd get a great deal more than 500k! He could easily get 20+ by Xmas. Look at the rumoured fees for Bradford's Wells or how much Peterborough paid for the comparatively unproven Assombalonga.

I hope we keep him personally as I believe he's the most exciting player I've seen at City for years!

I believe the floodlights are more than adequate for League One. Shall we move on from "floodlights" and thinly veiled references to "irregularities" and other related "shenanigans."

I've made a note of your name, "Tansley." Consider yourself on a "yellow card."

Good grief, but I do believe that his Leslieship is suffering from his monthly periodic table !

My own personal opinion...the reality is, that he'll most likely go in January.

Perhaps the idea of getting used to it now, rather than later, so that it doesn't come as such a blow, is better.

I read a quote from JET today in one of the national papers...can't remember which one, where he said something along the lines of not getting many games at Arsenal and he'd like to prove himself at a higher level again.

Stockhausen also spoke of it again in todays BP... where he said Baldock would come into his own when JET is gone and him and Taylor would provide goals at this level... not sure I agree with that though.

Why is anyone surprised?  If I was JET, I'd want to move forward with a career that stalled at Ipswich having promised so much

If we get a handsome return on him, then happy days - we can use that money for other players, etc.

Read "Why England Lose" about how Lyons achieved success - they used "moneyball" principles: get in a player who is undervalued, bring him on, and sell him as soon as anyone offers you more than you think he's worth.  Use the money to buy more players, etc. etc.

My own personal opinion...the reality is, that he'll most likely go in January.

Perhaps the idea of getting used to it now, rather than later, so that it doesn't come as such a blow, is better.

I read a quote from JET today in one of the national papers...can't remember which one, where he said something along the lines of not getting many games at Arsenal and he'd like to prove himself at a higher level again.

Stockhausen also spoke of it again in todays BP... where he said Baldock would come into his own when JET is gone and him and Taylor would provide goals at this level... not sure I agree with that though.

After only half a season with us ? Am hoping that other clubs would want to see how he fares over a full season before taking a punt on him.

We all knew before he arrived that this was a second stepping stone chance if you like, for JET.

He's well and truly taken it so I'm just going to enjoy it, while he is a BCFC player still. And when he looks back at his career, I think he will have City in high regard because we've pretty much brought is career back on track. SO'D aswell.

Just enjoy him guys and gals, it's certainly a pleasure having him here.

cant imagine who at a higher level is going to pay the price ..he is at this club for reasons,and one of those he doesnt see enough of the ball in the higher standard and when he does get it the players opposing him are,well,more able to shut him out.pie in the sky and a strange thing even for this guy to come out with. 

Seems a bizarre comment to make IMO. Wouldnt make me feel particularly wanted if I was JET and think it sends the wrong impression to the dressing room and fans. Poor timing just as the feel good factor was starting to come back kind of rains on our parade a bit.

Smart piece of management IMO.

• Telling JET we may have to sell him is basically saying "if you keep playing like this you'll be going to a big club" The effect is JET keeps banging them in, we establish a good league position and we sell him for a decent bit of cash.
  • For our front line, it's basically saying "once JETs gone, we're going to need to fill that gap. If you start playing well, it's yours." The effect is they start banging them in.
  • For the fans it's managing expectations ie: "Don't be surprised if he does go but we'll get good cash for him" or, if he doesn't go "I've managed to convince him to stay and we have a player that big league clubs are desperate for - get behind us"

Smart piece of management IMO.

• Telling JET we may have to sell him is basically saying "if you keep playing like this you'll be going to a big club" The effect is JET keeps banging them in, we establish a good league position and we sell him for a decent bit of cash.
  • For our front line, it's basically saying "once JETs gone, we're going to need to fill that gap. If you start playing well, it's yours." The effect is they start banging them in.
  • For the fans it's managing expectations ie: "Don't be surprised if he does go but we'll get good cash for him" or, if he doesn't go "I've managed to convince him to stay and we have a player that big league clubs are desperate for - get behind us"

This

Archived