IGNORED

The Mem

The Joker

Sadly this is yet another example of the ineptitude of Bristol and Bristolians. We seem to lack so many things in my opinion. The nerve, desire, drive, ambition, to go that extra bit in getting what we want. We have leaders in business and local authority who are complacent, naieve, over confident, who constantly get held up in their plans because they don't have that hard edge needed to succeed. Our own Mr Lansdown has probably been swept along by his bullish partner to make their business what it is.

The place is a backwater with a distant memory of past pioneers, we are living  in a modern world with a slow moving apathetic city. Most of our more influential people are not from these parts as shown by those opposing any new proposal, and their extra drive wins the day. I sometimes wonder if we are an experiment taking place on how much shyte a local population will take before rising up, god knows the city has had enough kicks in the tabs, with funding for this or that being taken away right at the death.

Because of our apathy, we've ended up with that prat in red trousers doing his best to close down the city.

So until we're willing to go that extra bit for what we want, (I know I've tried) we'll get what we deserve, sweet FA. And with that sweet FA we'll have some extra green party activists who are going to be getting those extra jobs created by winning the green capital bid. Mark my words there'll be even more of them shortly, still a tiny minority but with more fight and desire than the locals. 

I think nimbys should be banned from Bristol.,.... and I don't care where they go.....as long as its not my backyard!

Typical. You don't care where they go as long as it's not your back yard. I don't want them in my neighbourhood either, all they do is leave their rubbish around and lower the property values.

Typical. You don't care where they go as long as it's not your back yard. I don't want them in my neighbourhood either, all they do is leave their rubbish around and lower the property values.

Yes, and they seem to have a lot of friends in high places.......and I'm not talking window cleaners!

Some absoloute classic comments on their forum

rasrovers, on 15 Nov 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:snapback.png

This is the end of the football club

Unfortunately I think you're right. But don't worry, Miss Radice has watched England' women's team at the Olympics so she obviously cares.           

Sadly this is yet another example of the ineptitude of Bristol and Bristolians. We seem to lack so many things in my opinion. The nerve, desire, drive, ambition, to go that extra bit in getting what we want. We have leaders in business and local authority who are complacent, naieve, over confident, who constantly get held up in their plans because they don't have that hard edge needed to succeed. Our own Mr Lansdown has probably been swept along by his bullish partner to make their business what it is.

The place is a backwater with a distant memory of past pioneers, we are living  in a modern world with a slow moving apathetic city. Most of our more influential people are not from these parts as shown by those opposing any new proposal, and their extra drive wins the day. I sometimes wonder if we are an experiment taking place on how much shyte a local population will take before rising up, god knows the city has had enough kicks in the tabs, with funding for this or that being taken away right at the death.

Because of our apathy, we've ended up with that prat in red trousers doing his best to close down the city.

So until we're willing to go that extra bit for what we want, (I know I've tried) we'll get what we deserve, sweet FA. And with that sweet FA we'll have some extra green party activists who are going to be getting those extra jobs created by winning the green capital bid. Mark my words there'll be even more of them shortly, still a tiny minority but with more fight and desire than the locals. 

Think you're being massively negative, Bristol is a wonderful, vibrant place to live.

Dont think we should wallow in any piss take about what has happened at the Gas.

Still believe it will happen for them even if it takes a little longer.

For us though it seems totally dead and buried.

As many others has said developing the Gate will not produce a third of the income a brand new stadium would.

Dont think we should wallow in any piss take about what has happened at the Gas.

Still believe it will happen for them even if it takes a little longer.

For us though it seems totally dead and buried.

As many others has said developing the Gate will not produce a third of the income a brand new stadium would.

Don't know where you or anyone else got that from Arn, it's just not true.

It's been stated many times that a redeveloped AG would produce 80% of the maximum income Ashton Vale could achieve.

It will be by far the best stadium in the Bristol area even if Rovers eventually get the go ahead for their shockingly tedious and characterless bowl..

rasrovers, on 15 Nov 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Unfortunately I think you're right. But don't worry, Miss Radice has watched England' women's team at the Olympics so she obviously cares.

This last bit totally sums her up, minority interest sport, yes, one that the (working) masses actually go and watch, no.

It's been stated many times that a redeveloped AG would produce 80% of the maximum income Ashton Vale could achieve.

It will be by far the best stadium in the Bristol area even if Rovers eventually get the go ahead for their shockingly tedious and characterless bowl..

Sorry Nogbad But i think Arn has got it spot on.

I believe the low figures that were quoted were the scare tactics figures.

You're spot on Noggers, it wont generate the same as the Vale obviously, but it wont be far off.

But do you really believe that? Who said it - an independent commission or the club spin doctors?

Let's be clear about this. Ashton Vale would blow Ashton Gate out of the water, which was the whole reason for going there. I'd be amazed if a redeveloped Gate hits as high as 60% the turnover of AV.

But do you really believe that? Who said it - an independent commission or the club spin doctors?

Let's be clear about this. Ashton Vale would blow Ashton Gate out of the water, which was the whole reason for going there. I'd be amazed if a redeveloped Gate hits as high as 60% the turnover of AV.

Yes.The executive boxes, restaurants, conference facilities etc. will all be there, as will a capacity only about 3,000 below AV.

Ashton Vale was never going to blow a redeveloped AG out of the water - that's where the exaggeration and spin was in the first place.

Is that the same spin doctors who said that staying at the gate was not viable and the only option was to move but now it is fine to stay?

These was so much bull spread about the move I see it is still working.

Yes.The executive boxes, restaurants, conference facilities etc. will all be there, as will a capacity only about 3,000 below AV.

Ashton Vale was never going to blow a redeveloped AG out of the water - that's where the exaggeration and spin was in the first place.

I can't agree with that.

No doubt AG will packed full of as much conferencing/corporate hospitality as can be squashed in there, particularly the new williams stand.

But there's still no room elsewhere. Remember that that AV also had the ability to expand much further still. Space is all important, not just for capacity, but to be able to maximize match day sales from that capacity. It's not ideal having a bar in the stand which can only house a very limited number, and serve an equally limited number before match and at half time.

Ashton vale had a huge concourse, and being that little but further from north st means many more fans would drink there. Don't underestimate this.

AV would have been much more marketable, in terms of naming rights, as well as attracting businesses.

Imagine a leaflet or a web page...one has ashton gate, a cramped mishmash, minimal parking, ugly tower blocks looming over head...

The other a gleaming iconic red state of the art beacon, sat on a trunk road next to a park and ride, with a hotel on site.

One would beat off competition from the city centre, and possibly even cardiff, the other wouldn't.

I can't agree with that.

No doubt AG will packed full of as much conferencing/corporate hospitality as can be squashed in there, particularly the new williams stand.

But there's still no room elsewhere. Remember that that AV also had the ability to expand much further still. Space is all important, not just for capacity, but to be able to maximize match day sales from that capacity. It's not ideal having a bar in the stand which can only house a very limited number, and serve an equally limited number before match and at half time.

Ashton vale had a huge concourse, and being that little but further from north st means many more fans would drink there. Don't underestimate this.

AV would have been much more marketable, in terms of naming rights, as well as attracting businesses.

Imagine a leaflet or a web page...one has ashton gate, a cramped mishmash, minimal parking, ugly tower blocks looming over head...

The other a gleaming iconic red state of the art beacon, sat on a trunk road next to a park and ride, with a hotel on site.

One would beat off competition from the city centre, and possibly even cardiff, the other wouldn't.

You can agree or not - 80% is the figure given by the club.

Your description of AG doesn't ring true with me - it's a fantastic traditional ground in a wonderful majestic setting with the park, pubs etc., and very much part of the local community. The plans for the redeveloped Gate will be it's next natural progression giving modern facilities, new income streams and increasing capacity whilst remaining on the footprint most of us are proud to call 'home'. Long may those local pubs thrive.

Your enthusiasm for AV with the 'trunk road, the park and ride and the hotel'  makes me feel a bit sick.

Long live Ashton Gate.

In terms of the stadium AG might produce 80% of the revenue, but does it take in the hotel, fast food and pub leasing income? I doubt it, also the Arena was due to be on the site producing even more leasing income/ car parking revenue.

AG is our home but it is definitely a poor second in terms of revenue.

In terms of the stadium AG might produce 80% of the revenue, but does it take in the hotel, fast food and pub leasing income? I doubt it, also the Arena was due to be on the site producing even more leasing income/ car parking revenue.

AG is our home but it is definitely a poor second in terms of revenue.

A poor second, as in 20% less revenue, the lack of an hotel accounting no doubt for a large portion of that 20%.

The figure of 80% of the revenue came in a statement from a member of the board.

Out of interest, where exactly has your contrary information come from?

Oh, you've gone Purple Paul.

Perhaps you could answer when you get back from the Rovers/Bury game?

Your enthusiasm for AV with the 'trunk road, the park and ride and the hotel' makes me feel a bit sick.

Exactly, the club. Not an independent commission. They can say whatever they want though, can't they, whenever it suits... I'm surprised you are willing to take it as gospel. I am certainly not.

You misunderstand me regarding AG. I love the place. My earlier post was purely regarding revenue comparison between the two options, not fan experience/preference. I was talking from a potential business/conferencing view, which is why I mentioned leaflets and web pages.

I am a big fan of Ashton Gate's traditional form and location, in amongst the houses and the pubs.

I look forward to the redevelopment, am ready to embrace it whole heartedly. But will it be as lucrative as the vale, or as equally effective as a springboard for the club going forward, I think not.

Your description of AG doesn't ring true with me - it's a fantastic traditional ground in a wonderful majestic setting with the park, pubs etc., and very much part of the local community. The plans for the redeveloped Gate will be it's next natural progression giving modern facilities, new income streams and increasing capacity whilst remaining on the footprint most of us are proud to call 'home'. Long may those local pubs thrive.

Your enthusiasm for AV with the 'trunk road, the park and ride and the hotel'  makes me feel a bit sick.

Long live Ashton Gate.

Your points and opinion are well presented Nogbad.

Ashton Gate, to all City fans will always be a special place. 

But, like or loathe it, modern football is moving on, and if we want to keep pace, we have to move with the times.

Redeveloping Ashton Gate pulls at the heart strings, agreed, but will it give us the best chance of future success? Limited space inevitably means limited opportunities.

Making do or Moving on?

With a heavy heart I have to choose the Ashton Vale option. 

I've read this 80% figure before from you Nogbad and I have no idea if it is accurate or not.

My point is you seem to be quoting it as a positive, but I see it as the opposite.

I wonder what SL would think of a 20% drop in his private income.

According to the Rovers forum even the Bury Firm turned up to have a go at them today?!

Yes, they arrived at the Vic 10 mins before kick off, when it was practically empty!

Still, I'm sure that the nimbys prefer to see a scuffle on the street, rather than the sight of people carrying those awful Sainsburys carrier bags. 

P.S. Did anybody know that Bury actually had a firm?? 

Yes, they arrived at the Vic 10 mins before kick off, when it was practically empty!

Still, I'm sure that the nimbys prefer to see a scuffle on the street, rather than the sight of people carrying those awful Sainsburys carrier bags. 

Yes, they are called the Neville Neville crew, they are all well groomed I understand.

Masters of Ecky-thump, mate. You should see them wielding g a five-pound black pudding :o

No, Horace. It means excited, lively punters, with a spring in their step. And a song in their heart. And a bit more leg room (or *****le room). I think AV might mean more in the way of circus gimmicks and razamatazz.

And have you told "daddy" that you borrowed his phone to twit that geoff twentytwelveman?

I let Horace use my phone between five and six on Saturday, but only to twit 20person. He's not allowed to use it at any other time since he ordered 50 kilos of slugs instead of 50 grams.

Mind you, I took 6 litres of cider to a party recently without realising that it was 11 pints. Bloody foreign money :grr:

Didn't realise they had fans let alone a firm.

All jokes aside about this Bury thing but, according to the sag forum, a bloke walking to the game with his son was bottled and the son belted. That's scum of the highest order IMO. If like minded idiots wanted a ruck then so be it but innocent families?

I hope the r*vers fans are ok (tin hat one).

All jokes aside about this Bury thing but, according to the sag forum, a bloke walking to the game with his son was bottled and the son belted. That's scum of the highest order IMO. If like minded idiots wanted a ruck then so be it but innocent families?

I hope the r*vers fans are ok (tin hat one).

No tin hat required there mate. If it's true that's disgusting. My Uncle takes my 2 young cousins to The Mem and I'd hate for that to happen around them.

As you say, I hope he's alright.

Well guys, I think however we look at it, as amusing as it may be after all the "banter" and dare I say vitriol from the blue few after our setbacks on AV, this is still bad news in the long run for us - and I'll explain my opinion.

The building of new stadia for both clubs would have given Bristol the best chance of getting football befitting of the cities standing in the country.

This would mean in the long term the standard of football would more than likely improve with the new stadium effect (attracting more new "fans") to begin with, and then hopefully with the increased revenue and bigger crowd effect, this would push the clubs foward (maybe us a top half/playoff chasing championship club, and the sags the same in league one) on a consistant basis.

This in turn would increase national exposure to Bristol football and decent players would be far happier and more likely to come here to ply their trade. Instead, as is the case now, we have (in the past and who knows in the near future) had to pay way over the odds to attract "quality" players.

Again in turn, this would then have the chance - in the medium term to start, to make us into a least a prem/championship yo-yo club, and the sags a championship/league one recipricating club. Long term Who knows?

Now I know that we have the fair play financial handicap to contend with, and therefore we are signing alot of younger, cheaper players, but believe me if we continue to have a standing in the league table as bad as we do now, the board will panic, and how long will this last? Maybe in the future if this doesn't improve we'll end up with just less more expensive players, that mean we operate a threadbare squad? Therefore we need to increase are revenue if we are to progress.

The TWO football clubs in Bristol desperately need new facilities, I'm yet to be convinced that either club will have sufficient benefits to warrant upgrading their existing sites - both have increadably poor access, parking and infrastructure in place.

Yes it's very satisfying to gloat over the sags current strifes (and god knows they deserve our mockery after all the dog walking jibes I'm sure we've all recieved), and I'll be doing it the same as the next city fan, but long term believe me none of us will be laughing!

This is no more a good decision for Bristol City then the Ashton Vale fiasco, missed opertunity really doesn't begin to describe these decisions!!

I've read this 80% figure before from you Nogbad and I have no idea if it is accurate or not.

My point is you seem to be quoting it as a positive, but I see it as the opposite.

I wonder what SL would think of a 20% drop in his private income.

It's been stated many times ( no, not just by me!) and this has been gone through on this forum on numerous occasions.

In fact at a recent Fans Parliament meeting MG - Martin Griffiths? - stated that 'AG can produce as much income as a new stadium at Ashton Vale'

.http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/154642-ashton-vale-v-ashton-gate/

As for what SL would think of a 20% drop in his private income, well perhaps he'd factor it against the 52m saved by redeveloping AG instead of building Ashton Vale.

Your points and opinion are well presented Nogbad.

Ashton Gate, to all City fans will always be a special place. 

But, like or loathe it, modern football is moving on, and if we want to keep pace, we have to move with the times.

Redeveloping Ashton Gate pulls at the heart strings, agreed, but will it give us the best chance of future success? Limited space inevitably means limited opportunities.

Making do or Moving on?

With a heavy heart I have to choose the Ashton Vale option. 

If the redevelopment of AG gets the go ahead, and the dreadful spectre of Ashton Gate being obliterated and built on is lifted, I suspect your spirits will soar.

Hope so, anyway, on both counts. :thumbsup:

Think you're being massively negative, Bristol is a wonderful, vibrant place to live.

As a youngster in school, I used to look at the map on the back of my excersise book and make comparisons with other cities in the UK, I would also take an intersest in all major planning applications for the city and surrounding area. Over the years I've seen hundreds of things fail to come to fruition, or been lost when we already had them. For example here are just a few that spring to mind: Exhibition centre, lost. Grand prix boat racing ,lost. Shipwreck centre, lost. ATA metro, lost. numerous other transport schemes lost. Centre for the performing arts, lost. numerous arena plans down the drain. Ring road never completed. Stadiums held up/lost. International/ large swimming pool, 50 years to build. Ice rink lost. I'm sure there are many more.

And that's not to mention our second/third/fourth rate sporting representatives. 

I love my city and will fight for it. I want my city to be better, I don't want a collective of mediocre things, which I admit do make for a very good city compared to others, I want top quality things for my city as well. Instead we get a Mayor who's doing his best for all the minority groups while ignoring the masses, a Mayor who's concentrating on stopping car use and bringing in a congestion charge, in some sort of attempt to quell those commuting into the city. Installing RPZs (paid parking zones). Instead of decent transport we have, the promotion of cycling, which might suit those in the flatlands of central Bristol but, does nothing for the people living within the boundaries up the hill and miles away, those  who struggle to commute through or around the city because of the restrictions imposed on road use in the last decade and before.

Not massively negative, just totally peed right off with it all.

Maybe the NIMBYS would support a move to demolish their own homes, reinstating the woodland that would have been there in years gone by. They'd never have permitted the building of of their own place if they'd been around at the time.

Morning Nogs

My understanding was the new Ashton Vale to have shops, bars, restustants,perhaps leisure facilities such as ax swimming pool, bowling etc etc

The whole idea was the arena to have things that would be used 7 days of the week and not just on matchdays

The stadium of light is typical if what City were trying to build

Ashton Gate new ground would be nothing like that hence no where near the same amount if revenue produced

As a youngster in school, I used to look at the map on the back of my excersise book and make comparisons with other cities in the UK, I would also take an intersest in all major planning applications for the city and surrounding area. Over the years I've seen hundreds of things fail to come to fruition, or been lost when we already had them. For example here are just a few that spring to mind: Exhibition centre, lost. Grand prix boat racing ,lost. Shipwreck centre, lost. ATA metro, lost. numerous other transport schemes lost. Centre for the performing arts, lost. numerous arena plans down the drain. Ring road never completed. Stadiums held up/lost. International/ large swimming pool, 50 years to build. Ice rink lost. I'm sure there are many more.

And that's not to mention our second/third/fourth rate sporting representatives.

I love my city and will fight for it. I want my city to be better, I don't want a collective of mediocre things, which I admit do make for a very good city compared to others, I want top quality things for my city as well. Instead we get a Mayor who's doing his best for all the minority groups while ignoring the masses, a Mayor who's concentrating on stopping car use and bringing in a congestion charge, in some sort of attempt to quell those commuting into the city. Installing RPZs (paid parking zones). Instead of decent transport we have, the promotion of cycling, which might suit those in the flatlands of central Bristol but, does nothing for the people living within the boundaries up the hill and miles away, those who struggle to commute through or around the city because of the restrictions imposed on road use in the last decade and before.

Not massively negative, just totally peed right off with it all.

The area doesn't need a Sainsburys, the sole purpose of the idea is to benefit share-holders, nothing more.

Plus I believe the flattening of the site is wrong on every level. Plus I hate Bristol R*vers.

The unfavour of the month -the green counci- deserve credit if supposed progress is denighed in this instance.

As for AG/AV - I was never for a move. The identity and tradition of our club would be further up in smoke. Let's emulate Norwich or West Brom, not souless bores like Reading.

Rather be at AG in league1 than play in a different colour, be called City Robins or play in a shopping mall.

Rather be at AG in league1 than play in a different colour, be called City Robins or play in a shopping mall.

Fully understand what you're saying. Of course we all love the spiritual home of our club.......but! I'm not sure of your personal circumstances but parking at the gate is absolutely horrendous, even at the moment with small crowds!

Can you imagine what this would be like if we were getting 20,000 + crowds regularly?

To be honest, it would probably stop alot of folks comming eventually, stifling the club yet again.

Morning Nogs

My understanding was the new Ashton Vale to have shops, bars, restustants,perhaps leisure facilities such as ax swimming pool, bowling etc etc

The whole idea was the arena to have things that would be used 7 days of the week and not just on matchdays

The stadium of light is typical if what City were trying to build

Ashton Gate new ground would be nothing like that hence no where near the same amount if revenue produced

The point is though Arn as the likes of Nick J pointed out at the time, it was never clarified how much of the revenue generated at AV would be going to the club. A drive thru restaurant was proposed at AV for example, and there's no way McDonalds/KFC/Burger King would've been giving their profits made to City! Therefore, the fact there is no drive thru restaurant proposed as part of the AG redevelopment is no loss whatsoever.

For the record AV proposed ONE shop, a drive thru, conference facilities and NOT leisure facilities.

Personally, the 80% figure quoted sounds believable to me.

Fully understand what you're saying. Of course we all love the spiritual home of our club.......but! I'm not sure of your personal circumstances but parking at the gate is absolutely horrendous, even at the moment with small crowds!

Can you imagine what this would be like if we were getting 20,000 + crowds regularly?

To be honest, it would probably stop alot of folks comming eventually, stifling the club yet again.

parking at a new AV will be just as bad. Theres isnt going to magically be thousands of parking spaces. I think the plan for AV had spaces for 1000 cars which is just a few hundred more than AG.

As beaverface says; parking seems like a bit of a red herring. It's an issue a more compitent council would deal with re public transport. Secondly, what's AG's record attendance? 30 000ish? and we managed then. Also, the last time I went to the hellhole that is the Madjedski stadium it took an hour to escape after. We could also build a multi-story car park around AG.

Not being a $azy bastard, I

The point is though Arn as the likes of Nick J pointed out at the time, it was never clarified how much of the revenue generated at AV would be going to the club. A drive thru restaurant was proposed at AV for example, and there's no way McDonalds/KFC/Burger King would've been giving their profits made to City! Therefore, the fact there is no drive thru restaurant proposed as part of the AG redevelopment is no loss whatsoever.

For the record AV proposed ONE shop, a drive thru, conference facilities and NOT leisure facilities.

Just to add to that, AV proposed 5,500 sq m of conference/exhibition facilities. AG as existing has 1,500 sq m (Dolman) and as part of the new Wedlocks and Williams Stand will add a further 4,000 sq m of space...so will propose exactly the same as AV.

18 exec boxes proposed at AG, 24 at AV...

Buses, then walk.

Or park centrally and bus or walk. Which is what we do (walk from the centre).

Or train, then bus or walk.

Parking at the ground should be for those unable to walk far.

Exactly. Bus Pub-Crawl has been my traditional mode of transport.

Exactly. Bus Pub-Crawl has been my traditional mode of transport.

Lucky you! and what about the significant amount of folks who have to work on Saturday morning (myself included) who don't have time to turn a matchday into a day long piss-up?

Footy is a working class sport, so threfore an awfull lot iof fans will be in my position.

I hear what you all are saying about AV parking tho' - I don't know the site proposed personally, is it really as bad as the gate? ?

If so thats carp! Bloody double yellows and cones everywhere. :(

Lucky you! and what about the significant amount of folks who have to work on Saturday morning (myself included) who don't have time to turn a matchday into a day long piss-up?

Footy is a working class sport, so threfore an awfull lot iof fans will be in my position.

I hear what you all are saying about AV parking tho' - I don't know the site proposed personally, is it really as bad as the gate? ?

That's what needs to be taken up with the council/mayor. On the Cumberland basin, we had cars parking there for many many years and I didn't see one problem attached to it, but the PC brigade come along and double line everything saying it's unsafe.

Sure I can understand circumstances where fire engines can't get around a bend for instance, so leave the double yellows just for these areas, not blitz the entire carriageways.

Fair play K I T R

I think the "proposed" bit was what was said to get things up and running. I know for a fact that some of Citys top brass went to The Stadium of Light to see how they done their stuff.

Very impressive was the word going around. Im also sure that things would have been added over the years to make it into a profitable business

Off work at 1, straight onto a bus then a pintt in town/hotwells then BS3 if time. Done it many times, have even been known to cycle bloody hippie that Ip am.

I appreciate that's not possible for everyone but don't see parking as a major issue in this debate either.

That's what needs to be taken up with the council/mayor. On the Cumberland basin, we had cars parking there for many many years and I didn't see one problem attached to it, but the PC brigade come along and double line everything saying it's unsafe.

Sure I can understand circumstances where fire engines can't get around a bend for instance, so leave the double yellows just for these areas, not blitz the entire carriageways.

The report into putting double yellow lines said that were fewer accidents on match days than on non match days and the reason they gave was that drivers were more careful, but they still went ahead and put double yellows down.

Did I hear the City fans at Tranmere singing -

'Judicial review, judicial review

You took the piss Gas

Now you got one too'

Great song, I've had months and months of how great their stadium will be, how we missed out on ours through our own incompetence etc etc, and the best of all this little beauty 'when we get our new ground we will be top dogs in Bristol'.

Time to get back in the shadow, :laugh:

Did I hear the City fans at Tranmere singing -

'Judicial review, judicial review

You took the piss Gas

Now you got one too'

Great song, I've had months and months of how great their stadium will be, how we missed out on ours through our own incompetence etc etc, and the best of all this little beauty 'when we get our new ground we will be top dogs in Bristol'.

Time to get back in the shadow, :laugh:

back in the shadow, sglos? 

I'm with you on all this, but when have they emerged from said shadow in the past, oooh (pick a number at random), 20 years?

I can appreciate from your name, mind, how difficult these past couple of years must have been for you, so more power to your elbow. And knee. And all joints between.

That all said - and it is a great song - are we getting carried away too much, having a judicial review doesn't mean their plans are in tatters does it? Don't get me wrong, I want them to pfaff up as much as the next man, but as much as they laughed at us when we were stalled by the dog-walkers, as much as we are laughing at them now, couldn't they be laughing again at us

The area doesn't need a Sainsburys, the sole purpose of the idea is to benefit share-holders, nothing more.

Plus I believe the flattening of the site is wrong on every level. Plus I hate Bristol R*vers.

The unfavour of the month -the green counci- deserve credit if supposed progress is denighed in this instance.

As for AG/AV - I was never for a move. The identity and tradition of our club would be further up in smoke. Let's emulate Norwich or West Brom, not souless bores like Reading.

You seem to be misunderstanding my post. I have never supported building a Sainsbury's at the Rugby Ground, I don't think it's needed, it will have a bigger negative impact on the local shops, it will make traffic worse but worse still, it will remove the memorial which was set in place for veterans of the first world war. Now then, there are some who will say that's hypocritical of me making those statements, given my history. This store is not replacing, relocating and increasing an existing store, it's not in a very good location regards roads and it's not unlocking anywhere near the level of investment in the local economy to warrant it's effect when compared to the one at AG.

My main point is about the lack of anything ever coming to fruition and providing a lasting legacy for the citizens of Bristol, most proposals end in abject failure.

That all said - and it is a great song - are we getting carried away too much, having a judicial review doesn't mean their plans are in tatters does it? Don't get me wrong, I want them to pfaff up as much as the next man, but as much as they laughed at us when we were stalled by the dog-walkers, as much as we are laughing at them now, couldn't they be laughing again at us

Exactly right,the full review will expose once and for all the frailties in trashes claims ( don't forget the cameron pressure on the deciding judges) and grant the gash permission to build the bowl.

back in the shadow, sglos? 

I'm with you on all this, but when have they emerged from said shadow in the past, oooh (pick a number at random), 20 years?

I can appreciate from your name, mind, how difficult these past couple of years must have been for you, so more power to your elbow. And knee. And all joints between.

I take on board what you are saying, I'm just not convinced they have the financial structures in place to be able to cope with long delays.

or equally it may expose the poor decision the council made?? A decision to build over a war memorial, a decision to put a supermarket in a area that really doesn't need a supermarket. Can you really tell me a Sainsburys is really needed considering there is a tesco, all the shops on glos road and a sainsburys 5 mins away at Stoke Gifford?? Even the most die hard sag head knows trash have a bloody good chance here and as I said previously it wouldn't surprise me if Tesco were their mystery backers and not just with money but Tesco are experts when it comes to planning law and finding loop holes.

At the final planning hearing for Sainsbury's at AG, one of the very highest order of our expert planners informed me that it was Tesco that paid for the traffic study, used by Basics (the opposition group), in their fight against Sainsbury's and the club. They just would not have been able to afford that study, without financial assistance from elsewhere.

Why don't sainsburys buy the land for the new stadium instead, giving rovers sufficient finance to redevelop the mem to 15k all seater or something, lets face it that's all they will ever need.

I would guess that Sainsbury's have chosen that site because of it's proximity to one of their main competitors (Tesco Golden Hill). They will have a similar catchment area, plus the passing trade that two main roads give them. I would hassard a guess that it would be a more profitable site than Golden Hill, ultimately they'll plan to take customers from Tesco. Plus and this probably answers your question, they already have a store there.

Why don't sainsburys buy the land for the new stadium instead, giving rovers sufficient finance to redevelop the mem to 15k all seater or something, lets face it that's all they will ever need.

Because they would then have two supermarkets next door to each other. There's already a Sainsburys near the UWE.

Archived