IGNORED

If Not "him", Then Who ?

slartibartfast

So much negativity about who "we" don't want (re Cotterill,Skelletor, Colin) then who would you WANT ?

Realistics please, no Wengers or Special Ones .

Not sure if this is realistic or not.  As we want a head coach, who's sole responsibility is to train and make the first team tactically aware, I would like Mike Phelan.  That was his job under AF for years.  He probably wouldn't be interested, but you never know

But not knowing his personality, and the fact in these roles as a coach you are pally with the players usually, I am never so sure how well that goes when it is your responsibility to pick the team.

The title head coach does not sit well with me, because you do more than that.

if Hoddle was available and interested (again maybe maybe not realistic,I would like him.  Yes he went off on one with his beliefs, but I do think he is a cracking coach/manager.  Likewise probablly not interested

So much negativity about who "we" don't want (re Cotterill,Skelletor, Colin) then who would you WANT ?

Realistics please, no Wengers or Special Ones .

we really should be talking about 'who' is our next manager or head coach........ no, not the one that gets appointed but the one after that!

Guest S. Bristol Born & Red

Phelan will go to a Premier League club (rumoured to be Norwich if Houghton goes), or a Championship club at least. We are League One relagation material at the moment, is it a case of beggars can't be choosers?

Phelan will go to a Premier League club (rumoured to be Norwich if Houghton goes), or a Championship club at least. We are League One relagation material at the moment, is it a case of beggars can't be choosers?

Quite likely, but if you don't ask you don't get

• Admin

He said in an interview with Setanta Sports in Ireland last week that he's not too proud to field offers from club's below the Championship, he just keen to get his managerial career started.

It seems to me that over recent seasons fans don't want who ever has been the current City manager.

Perhaps some need to learn that the grass is not always greener.........?

I think this is the first time we've sacked a manager when the OTIB polls have continually chosen the option of giving him more time. I'm obviously not saying that OTIB is the fount of all wisdom, far from it.

However, given that OTIB tends to be more critical than the general fan base, that suggests that a lot of people will be very unhappy.

I think this is the first time we've sacked a manager when the OTIB polls have continually chosen the option of giving him more time. I'm obviously not saying that OTIB is the fount of all wisdom, far from it.

However, given that OTIB tends to be more critical than the general fan base, that suggests that a lot of people will be very unhappy.

Splitter....... as in the best 'Python' manor :)

The list of available managers is truly shocking - that's probably why they are available.

I'd suggest that someone like Tisdale is the most likely to continue with the long term strategy, but I suppose if I had a choice of the available list, I'd take a punt on Hoddle.

• Admin

The list of available managers is truly shocking - that's probably why they are available.

I'd suggest that someone like Tisdale is the most likely to continue with the long term strategy, but I suppose if I had a choice of the available list, I'd take a punt on Hoddle.

With Hoddle I'd fear another Coppell situation. I'm not against him for his ability but he's been out of the game some time and I think our board would be a culture shock to him.

With Hoddle I'd fear another Coppell situation. I'm not against him for his ability but he's been out of the game some time and I think our board would be a culture shock to him.

Granted, he has been out of management for a while, but he's been active within the game itself.  I'm sure he's moved with the times in regard to his Academy, so he won't be all about old school methods, but will have developed himself as a coach over the years.

You're right though, sadly our board wouldn't be able to work with him!

Culture Shock? Don't you mean competency shock?  It's not like we speak a different lingo

The only one that seems to fit our ethos that immediately sticks out is Uwe Rosler, done reasonably well at Brentford om a low budget, seem to play decent football, has experience of this league, I'm not sure about youth though??

As the English list is limited any decent foreign coaches around??

Rosler is a brilliant choice but he stands a great chance of gettting Brentford promoted this season I can easily see him being offered a Championship job within a year or two.  However way you spin it, leaving one of the best sides in League One to join a team which is  struggling and some way off being competitive would be a backward step.  I can't see him taking it.

Obviously I'll ultimately back whoever gets the job but none of the options presented really inspire me.  There seem to be lower league managers who'll never manage beyond the lower leagues and former Premier League managers who's recent careers suggest their best days are behind them plus a few young, promising managers who could probably afford to set their heights a bit higher than Bristol City.

The bottom line is that any experienced manager who wants to take over a struggling League One club would be doing so either because they've proved they can't manage at a higher level or because they once could manage a higher level but their stock has fallen - probably for good reason.  I think we absolutely have to give someone their first managerial job.  You could say it's a massive risk but I can't see a single manager in the names suggested so far who isn't a massive risk and the only safe option is to appoint someone like Cotterill and know we're going to mediocre and uninspiring, which is a risk in itself.

The club have said that the new man will be expected to buy into the five pillars and work with Kieth Burt and the existing coaching structure.

That probably counts out most of the "names" who have been mentioned as they are used to bringing their own staff and setting a club up in their own way.

This club is always accused of doing things on the cheap, (sometimes unfairly) but you'd have to say that given the constraints he (or she...HP?) :-( will be working under, it can only realistically be a young up and comer...

Personally I think it could be largely irrelevant, who ever it is probably won't be here long either.

Archived