IGNORED

Sorry To Pee On Peoples Cornflakes...

Bar BS3

Having just listened to SC's first interview on Player, I like what I hear....

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding, but several myth's were dispelled and certain aspects were addressed that make me feel a little bit more positive.

Highlights include

Not a personal friend of Keith Dawe (so this was obviously petty shit stirring from some on here)

Focus on how WE play and not be dictated by what the opposition do.

Play at a high tempo and look to pass the ball. "zip the ball around"

Keen to give youth a chance and reels off an impressive list of players that he gave the "big break" too.

Mix youth with experience to help them learn.

Keep to the long term plan.

Will be moving to Bristol because he likes to work long hours and get stuck into the job.

Describes himself as "hard working, honest, knowledgable, discaplined.

Focus on winning games and getting results.

I know that words mean little, but these are all the things that I wanted to hear - so go for it SC and hopefully prove many on here wrong. This would include myself, but now is the time to be positive and SUPPORT!!

Not a personal friend of Keith Dawe (so this was obviously petty shit stirring from some on here)

That was taken from local journalist Chris Spittles on twitter who stated:

@ChrisSpittles Cotterill has a good relationship with City chairman Keith Dawe, who has championed him in the boardroom for some time

Unsure if 'personal friend' but they certainly know eachother...

As much as I'll get behind the appointment these first interviews are a well trodden path. You can pretty much script them. He forgot to mention putting more meat in the half time pies.

As I say not overwhelmed, but hey ho, we've had worse.

As I also said earlier, don't worry Mr Cotterill because BCFC fans are fair minded and even handed what ever happens this season will not count because this is not your team or mess, so you can start your particular 'transition' at the start of next season and you can be judged after 18 games just like your predecessor was, fairs fair.

PS:- Save us from relegation first.

Talk is cheap. Any muppet can have a look through the threads on here and see what we do and don't want from a manager then say the right things.

The views of the forest fans suggest either many forest fans are lying about the way he likes his teams to play, or he is!

He - as any new manager does - will have my support. All I want this season is to stay up. That's depressing in its own right.

As much as I'll get behind the appointment these first interviews are a well trodden path. You can pretty much script them. He forgot to mention putting more meat in the half time pies.

Of course. I'm not naive enough to think it was likely to be a negative interview, but he specifically commented on most if not all of the main aspects for concern at his appointment - which is what I wanted from him.

If this turns out to be nothig more than lip service (over a reasonable period of time. I'm not expecting miracles) then I, along with many others will turn against him, but for starters he has commited to provinding the main things that we need, so at this point in time he has my full backing.

Talk is cheap. Any muppet can have a look through the threads on here and see what we do and don't want from a manager then say the right things.

The views of the forest fans suggest either many forest fans are lying about the way he likes his teams to play, or he is!

He - as any new manager does - will have my support. All I want this season is to stay up. That's depressing in its own right.

Yes but in hindsight that is all SOD really did, was talk a good game.

if his self confidance and belief can rub off on the players we may start winning games,

Performances have to be set aside winning is whats important, winning breeds confidance with confidance comes performances, SoD was too concirned with performances and not winning which was his ulitmate downfall

He also said... we will have a short term plan... again ffs :facepalm:

And that the board have always wanted him, before other managers we've employed, but he hasn't come, because he's been employed at other Clubs.

got to be better then sod's long term plan, your boyfriend has taken us to 22nd in the league 4 points a drift from safety with 2 wins in 27 games...................................

if his self confidance and belief can rub off on the players we may start winning games,

Performances have to be set aside winning is whats important, winning breeds confidance with confidance comes performances, SoD was too concirned with performances and not winning which was his ulitmate downfall

This

Monkeh...stop being a ****... and have some sensible debate for a change :facepalm:

Mate you're the whatever you called Monkeh, we are in the shit, we need a short term plan to get us out of the shit, that is the serious/only debate at BCFC at present, the long term plan continues with the academy, if you cannot see that you need serious help.

Monkeh...stop being a ****... and have some sensible debate for a change :facepalm:

I will once people stop slitting their wrists,

I see you chose to ignore the post I made about confidance breeds performances in order to have yet another swip at people who think its a good call to get rid of a head coach who has just 6 wins in 38 games............

Mind you why does it bother you so much you won't be going  to the games and supporting the team like others will

Mate you're the whatever you called Monkeh, we are in the shit, we need a short term plan to get us out of the shit, that is the serious/only debate at BCFC at present, the long term plan continues with the academy, if you cannot see that you need serious help.

Short term plan to give an at best average manager a 42 month contract?

Short term plan to give an at best average manager a 42 month contract?

Can you predict the future, if so win the euro millions and buy the club,

He could fail but there is just as much a chance of him doing what Gary Johnson did to us there is no way to predict it,

The thing a 3 and a half deal does bring is a bit of stibility,

Yes its a gamble but not as much as bringing in say Warnock (some one I wanted) who would want to change all the coaching staff,

At least with cotts we have some one who is use to working with alot of the coaching staff we have put in place over the last year,

He would of worked with peberton and burt at forest and that for me is an important issue, its brings a bit of continuality to the club, lets just give him a chance,

if it doesn't work it doesn't work but something had to change we were limping to relegation again just like last season

Openly holding my hands up as being one of the main protestors against his appointment, but was actually nice to hear a manager with some passion (who referred to himelf as a manager) and saying the right things. He's honest, he acknowledges that he has been known to play hoofball but that was due to the sides he was managing and their lack of footballing ability, and says he will get involved.

How about we start showing the sort of stability that we want from our club and back the man that's been given a chance. I for one hope he proves me wrong, gets us moving up that table and sees out the entirety of his contract and more.

Onwards and upwards, COYR!

Can you predict the future, if so win the euro millions and buy the club,

He could fail but there is just as much a chance of him doing what Gary Johnson did to us there is no way to predict it,

The thing a 3 and a half deal does bring is a bit of stibility,

Yes its a gamble but not as much as bringing in say Warnock (some one I wanted) who would want to change all the coaching staff,

At least with cotts we have some one who is use to working with alot of the coaching staff we have put in place over the last year,

He would of worked with peberton and burt at forest and that for me is an important issue, its brings a bit of continuality to the club, lets just give him a chance,

if it doesn't work it doesn't work but something had to change we were limping to relegation again just like last season

How does a 3.5 yr contact give us stability? At best it gives us a little bit of compo if he works miracles and moves on, at worst if we get relegated we will be stuck with him or face ANOTHER massive pay off (you know, the type that the board lied to us and said were things of the past)

Contracts don't mean shit, the only one who benefits from a long contract is SC if we sack him.

Focus on the contract value not length. At the moment we don't know what this is so how can you work out I its value for money?

Unless he's on 3.5x less than SOD it's a stupid move. We don't know his salary obviously but he ain't working for nothing.

It's a reckless move and smacks of desperation to get him. And unless he manages to do what 99% of our managers fail to do (avoid the sack) we will have to pay him off to get shot.

If you can come up with a convincing argument to give ANY manager a 3.5 yr contract in our position, I applaud you.

Unless he's on 3.5x less than SOD it's a stupid move. We don't know his salary obviously but he ain't working for nothing.

It's a reckless move and smacks of desperation to get him. And unless he manages to do what 99% of our managers fail to do (avoid the sack) we will have to pay him off to get shot.

If you can come up with a convincing argument to give ANY manager a 3.5 yr contract in our position, I applaud you.

+1

Lessons of 1982 not learned or forgotten :(

we are desprate tho' dispite the large budget and over 14 new signings we are in the relegation zone,

We aren't attractive we are going to get the calibre of managers us long suffering fans deserve that is sadly a fact,

All we can do is show up and get behind the team, that wasn't happening under SoD people were staying away in droves you only had to look round the gate to relise this,

we are desprate tho' dispite the large budget and over 14 new signings we are in the relegation zone,

We aren't attractive we are going to get the calibre of managers us long suffering fans deserve that is sadly a fact,

All we can do is show up and get behind the team, that wasn't happening under SoD people were staying away in droves you only had to look round the gate to relise this,

If we were going to sack SOD what we needed was someone in for the short term with the sole aim of keeping us a League One club, then over the summer we could have taken stock of where we were with regards to our manager and started again if necessary.

So put another way, what happens if we go down? Because make no mistake if we go down it's Cotterills doing because there is a long long way to go yet.

So we then face a massive pay off to get rid of him, or sticking with the manager that took us to L2 for the first time in my lifetime.

3.5 year contract for ANYONE when we are propping up league one is shambolic

He also said... we will have a short term plan... again ffs :facepalm:

And that the board have always wanted him, before other managers we've employed, but he hasn't come, because he's been employed at other Clubs.

Spudski I don't know if you listened to the whole interview? But what he actually said is that the club has a long term plan, but you also have to have a short term one in order for that to take place. In other words we need to start winning matches or a long term plan means naff all! Give the guy a break, its not his fault sod was sacked in confusing circumstances (timing wise, not results wise!) and he has been appointed as his replacement. If he can get us playing WINNING football, however that may come- then that's all that matters.

In response to EMB... yes we are in the shit now we've employed SC.

It's a farce to say we are in the shit... we have 27 games left to play this season... only 6 points off mid table.

Talk about panic... you and monkeh are as bad as the board. If we had 10 games left and 6 points off mid table we'd still not be in the shit.... total over reaction by yourselves and the board.

Now we have to give SC more time to find his way of playing and who he prefers... do more wheeling and dealing in January.

How can you not see that this is a joke.

Do you honestly think he's going to find a better way of grinding out a result with the personnel  he has at his disposal?

Can't believe people on here are willing to take one step forward and two steps back all the time.

Even respected football writers are tweeting at this moment that we are a 'joke club' for giving SC a 3 and a half year deal... this Club is run for the boys who are idiots... the sooner you realise this the better.

However... Regardless of results SC wasn't brought in to rectify SoD's 'mistakes'... he was brought in because he is a 'lapdog' manager that can work with the board to their ways and liking... unlike SoD. It is as simple as that...

JL says "Jump!" - SC says "How high?". Just what we need - the ignorant leading the willing :(

What incentive has SC to perform? He's got 3.5 years' money guaranteed and he doesn't have to make the difficult decisions - if it all goes pear-shaped he can blame the board.

I would have thought that we, of all clubs, would know the dangers of over-long contracts.

Oh my face, oh my palm :facepalm:

I applaud you for knowing the DETAILS of SCs contract. How on earth do you know whether compensation is in there or not? How do you know if it is under what circumstances? Is it tied to meeting certain objectives?

He's only been here less than 3 hours.

Cue TRL to turn this thread into yet another anti-board thread.

When did I say I know details? We know he's on 3.5 years and of course we will have to pay him off if we wish to terminate it before that.

Not sure what your point is?

Allegedly one of our pillars of sand is financial prudence and yet we've handed out a 3.5 year contract to a manager when were propping up the third division.

Tell me how that's anything but reckless.

Board are playing Russian roulette hoping this works out, and taking a big risk in my book.

A 12 month rolling contract would have been good for all parties.

Focus on how WE play and not be dictated by what the opposition do.

This stands out for me. S O'D was a negative manager, always worrying about the opposition and how we had to play to counter them, and in my view this held us back. Too much of our play this season has been in front of teams and we've made ourselves easy to defend against. Hopefully Cotterill will be positive and we will try to take the game to the opposition. You only need to watch the Football League Show to see how bad defences are in this league when teams get in behind them and put them under pressure. 

When did I say I know details? We know he's on 3.5 years and of course we will have to pay him off if we wish to terminate it before that.

Allegedly one of our pillars of sand is financial prudence and yet we've handed out a 3.5 year contract to a manager when were propping up the third division.

Board are playing Russian roulette hoping this works out, and taking a big risk in my book.

the about contracts is both sides have to agree it for it to get signed, its a risk yes but every single contract is, when we were flying high under johnson and offered him a 5 year deal it seemed like a good idea at the time, or when we sign hunt and stewart seem like good signings at the time,

the fact is we just don't know without out the benifit of a crystal ball,

There could be a hell of a lot of humble pie on this forum in a years time

the about contracts is both sides have to agree it for it to get signed, its a risk yes but every single contract is, when we were flying high under johnson and offered him a 5 year deal it seemed like a good idea at the time, or when we sign hunt and stewart seem like good signings at the time,

the fact is we just don't know without out the benifit of a crystal ball,

There could be a hell of a lot of humble pie on this forum in a years time

No humble pie from me, 3.5 years right now for anyone is ludicrous however it's dressed up.

I've never said SC will not succeed, in fact I desperately hope he does! I - like most people - only want what's best for my club. But to me it seems the board are playing double or quits and going back on almost everything that they laid down during the summer to get the idiots like me in who swallowed it.

To Billywedlock...  I really don't think the majority of fans would have abused the board for sticking with the manager.

The board are not getting stick so much for appointing Sc, but for not sticking by their previous manager...

We have 27 games left to play this season.

If SC fails and we go down... who are you going to blame then?

Do we keep changing managers everytime we are near or in the relegation zone?

Especially with 27 games left to go... mental.

We need stability... how can people not see that changing managers every few years doesn't work.

6 managers in 7 years... it's nuts.

People keep glossing over the main issues with this Club. It's rotten to the core.

Why oh why are people so happy to keep giving another manager a go?

Where does it stop?

To Billywedlock...  I really don't think the majority of fans would have abused the board for sticking with the manager.

The board are not getting stick so much for appointing Sc, but for not sticking by their previous manager...

We have 27 games left to play this season.

If SC fails and we go down... who are you going to blame then?

Do we keep changing managers everytime we are near or in the relegation zone?

Especially with 27 games left to go... mental.

We need stability... how can people not see that changing managers every few years doesn't work.

6 managers in 7 years... it's nuts.

People keep glossing over the main issues with this Club. It's rotten to the core.

Why oh why are people so happy to keep giving another manager a go?

Where does it stop?

It doesn't.. its called modern day football where boards are more jumpy than the fans who seem to be by far the more patient these days... weird thought but largely true.

Do agree about contract length, but hey, who knows what clauses there are in it.

Main thing is, we have a new guy in charge, we are in a dire situation, and the club needs lifting. if we had given SOD until January, and found ourself in the same position, the board would have been abused for not acting earlier. Our last relegation, for some, me included, was also due to leaving McI in charge for too long . In the end , none of us can predict this. But do need to stop moaning, as it seems to me everything that happens these days just gets a stream of insults or moaning. We all need to do  better, or we risk talking ourselves into a self created depression. 

I was not keen on SC but then I wanted the last SC and look what that turned into. I just want like all for BCFC to regain some pride and stability and start working to the future with a proper academy, coaching and recruitment policy. We are a few years from bearing those fruits, but is Steve can give us some league stability in the short term then we have something to build on. A second relegation would be a total disaster. That is the one thing BCFC cannot afford to have.

Onwards and upwards

I would hope he'll be sacked if he doesn't keep us up.

My point is that you don't know the details of his contract. There could be many performance related clauses. Clause number one - if we go down he can be relieved without a pay off or he gets 3 months salary. Not difficult to tie contract termination conditions to personal objectives. In the same vein if he gets out out of this division and into the Championship he gets a big bonus.

You just don't know.

Re: exiledinwatford's post above that I can't quote for some reason:

Absolutely right.  We have no idea what a 3.5 year deal entails.  But hey, why not speculate and make all sorts of assumptions that it was bad business.

Amazing that everyone on OTIB is a football and employment contract expert and yet none of us own and run a football club.  What a lot of wasted talent.

In response to EMB... yes we are in the shit now we've employed SC.

It's a farce to say we are in the shit... we have 27 games left to play this season... only 6 points off mid table.

Talk about panic... you and monkeh are as bad as the board. If we had 10 games left and 6 points off mid table we'd still not be in the shit.... total over reaction by yourselves and the board.

Now we have to give SC more time to find his way of playing and who he prefers... do more wheeling and dealing in January.

How can you not see that this is a joke.

Do you honestly think he's going to find a better way of grinding out a result with the personnel  he has at his disposal?

Can't believe people on here are willing to take one step forward and two steps back all the time.

Even respected football writers are tweeting at this moment that we are a 'joke club' for giving SC a 3 and a half year deal... this Club is run for the boys who are idiots... the sooner you realise this the better.

However... Regardless of results SC wasn't brought in to rectify SoD's 'mistakes'... he was brought in because he is a 'lapdog' manager that can work with the board to their ways and liking... unlike SoD. It is as simple as that...

I unlike you and a few others I can see nothing, because there is nothing to see at the moment, well apart from the mess that he has been left and the personnel at his disposal well who signed them?.

Guest catcott_red1

I wasn't overly pleased or particularly inspired when it emerged that Steve Cotterill was the front runner for the job but after listening to his interview I'm quietly confident that he will prove me, and I hope he does, wrong.

He's acknowledged his faults in previous appointments where he hasn't played attractive football and said that was down other things such as the Forest owner dying etc and the financial difficulties at Pompey that are well publicised. He seems passionate and honest in his work and wants to stick to the pillars and give youth the chances that SOD gave them and reeled off some names of players that he gave a chance to prove what they could do. The longer contract is probably a positive if you think about it. It shows the fan base we are committed to backing managers and also says to the players this man is here to stay so start putting 100% in all the time or you'll be out the door.

This could be the catalyst to a change in fortunes that we desperately want and need. So whether you like it or not he is our manager and as supporters lets get behind him and give him a chance and keep backing the players as we have been and start moving up the table!

COYR

Archived