IGNORED

Sin-Bin Replacing Yellow Cards?

Super

Good idea, IMO - this will make sure that the team on the receiving end of the 'offence' will be the ones to benefit. I have the same opinion of Platini as many, but just because he said it doesn't mean it's a load of bolleaux, as they say en France. 

Worth a shout - but what constitutes a sin bin.... every yellow card offence?

That is the worry. Taking your shirt off or kicking the ball away should not mean a spell in the bin.

Worth a shout - but what constitutes a sin bin.... every yellow card offence?

Exactly what I was thinking. It could get ridiculous as teams would end up with 7 players on the pitch every other game.

Platini talks of the punishment being against the team that the foul was committed. Well they already have a free kick and the offending player cannot make another dubious challenge that game... this is without being sin binned..... He then goes on to talk about excessive punishment... You couldn't make it up!!! (although I agree with the goalkeeper bit).

The ban for yellow cards is due persistent rule breaking- not the offence in one particular game.

That is the worry. Taking your shirt off or kicking the ball away should not mean a spell in the bin.

For reasons I don't understand taking your shirt off is an automatic booking but still people do it, get booked and eventually suspended. Thick or what? Maybe the threat of a more immediate punishment will encourage people not do it, or kick the ball away, time waste, hassle the ref. etc. Worth a shot?

It would never work.

Compare the average of yellows in a rugby match to that of a football match, there would be hardly any players on the field in football!

Agree Lewis. I think this is a dreadful idea. Sin bins are great in rugby because really cynical offences are punished properly without spoiling the game. It just wouldn't work in football.

It's a significant change. It is, in effect, a temporary sending off. A yellow card normally has no effect on the game in question.

Will make the game even less of a contact sport and will encourage simulation imo.

Why don't they just survey a few thousand fans to see what rule changes they want.

A great idea, and works in Rugby. Players would certainly think twice about a cynical challenge if it meant 10 minutes in the bin.

One thing I've always felt was unfair was that the current system of yellow cards rolling up into a suspension favours those teams with bigger squads, who simple 'rest' the player.

My only concern is what the sanction would be for slightly lesser offences - ones that merit a stronger sanction than a free kick, but doesn't really deserve 10 minutes in the bin.

In rugby, the award of a penalty has a much bigger impact than the award of a free kick. Maybe refs could give an informal warning for a minor offence in addition to a free kick, and then give a yellow card for 'persistent fouling' if he makes another infringement?

For reasons I don't understand taking your shirt off is an automatic booking but still people do it, get booked and eventually suspended. Thick or what? Maybe the threat of a more immediate punishment will encourage people not do it, or kick the ball away, time waste, hassle the ref. etc. Worth a shot?

Taking your shirt off is about the only PG rule in the game.

The thing is with comparing football to rugby is the number of yellow cards. In a rugby game, 2 yellow cards is not very common. But in football there could be 4 yellow cards in 10 minutes leaving it at 7 v 11 or 9 v 9? Also in rugby, a yellow card can come for punching someone in the face, rather worse than just being a bit rubbish at tackling. Not for me. Think of the derby days. Old Firm matches would be mental

Good idea, IMO, but what happens when a player gets a yellow in the last minute? Does it carry over?

No, the player has to sit in the bin, whilst everybody clears off, and finish his allotted time. Just think how lonely he'll feel when everybody has gone and the floodlights are turned out. That'll learn 'em.

Guest Hotwells Red

Awful idea, as someone said earlier there are more yellow card offences in football than rugby.

In Wednesday's  8 premiership games there was a total of 29 yellow cards dished out, some great games to watch last night could of been ruined and farcical.

What happens if the keeper gets yellow carded ? Does he go off or an outfield player instead ? Maybe rush goalie for 10 mins ?

Its a joke and Platini is a joke.

How about 1000 lines for a yellow card........

"I will not take my shirt off after scoring a goal again"

To be submitted to the FA within 48 hours of the offence, and then to be published in the match day programme the following week.

Not only would this prove a massive deterant but the original copies could be auctioned on eBay to raise funds to build a rocket to the sun for the upper hierarchy of FIFA.

It's a winner!

if we are going to embrace this rugby system of justice, we need to go the whole hog and have a far more robust retrospective system and not a pathetic get out of jail free card for the i.e. 'the ref dealt with it at the time' when it's obvious that the referee didn't see exactly what occurred and certainly for cheating which for all of the rhetoric is still not being dealt with.

No, the player has to sit in the bin, whilst everybody clears off, and finish his allotted time. Just think how lonely he'll feel when everybody has gone and the floodlights are turned out. That'll learn 'em.

And the bath would be cold :)

if we are going to embrace this rugby system of justice, we need to go the whole hog and have a far more robust retrospective system and not a pathetic get out of jail free card for the i.e. 'the ref dealt with it at the time' when it's obvious that the referee didn't see exactly what occurred and certainly for cheating which for all of the rhetoric is still not being dealt with.

If the authorities were really concerned about stamping out things like diving and racism then they'd retrospectively review incidents (regardless of whether the referee dealt with it or not) and they'd mic up the refs. It'll never happen because, for all their bluster, they're not remotely interested in eradicating these things from the game.

Do this and you'd get much less bile towards the refs and diving would all but cease, with players knowing that they risk suspension on video evidence.

If the authorities were really concerned about stamping out things like diving and racism then they'd retrospectively review incidents (regardless of whether the referee dealt with it or not) and they'd mic up the refs. It'll never happen because, for all their bluster, they're not remotely interested in eradicating these things from the game.

Do this and you'd get much less bile towards the refs and diving would all but cease, with players knowing that they risk suspension on video evidence.

I watched a french game last night and there was a midfield tangle and as the players hit the ground the home player clearly tried to kick his opponent in the head, the ref who was virtually standing over the incident, rightly sent him off and yellow carded the original offender in the tangle, 5 minutes later a home player was again rightly sent off for a cynical chop from behind in the penalty area with the attacker one on one with the goalkeeper, both times even though the referee was 100% correct he was surrounded and jostled by home team players and again at the end of the game.

At a time when managers are bleating about apologies from referees, what about apologies to referees when they are clearly right, of course Mourinho would have to be exempt he is is the special one.

PRO's:

1. Would provide discipline for players that are happy to pick up tactical yellow cards. Players would be letting the team down if they are off the pitch for a period of time.
  2. Players would be allowed back on after alloted time so it would not affect flow of game and make it unbalanced for long periods of time unless a red card was awarded.
  3. may provide more entertainment as a team that is performing well could then be on the back foot due to a player being in the sin bin. This would make players more 'foul play aware' meaning games would flow better.
  4. would potentially mean that the decision on what a 'foul' is, is more clear cut and defined in comparison to some pathetic decisions currently being given. as it would make such a difference to a game for a short period, referees would have to think hard about making such a decision rather than easily giving out yellow cards.

CONS:

1. games could end up 5 vs 7 potentially for periods of time if you consider the amount of cards given out nowadays.
  2. a team winning could end up losing as having a sin binned player could dramatically change the game. Referees would get it in the neck even more.
  3. could be hard to keep track of whos in the sin bin and for how long if it occurs many times during a game.

I am on the fence with this otion but it is used to good effect in rugby and like referee microphone, I think it is something that should be trialed to see how it works.

I think it would be a bad idea as there are so many yellows in today's game and referees are soft so that half the team would be off the pitch after being sin binned!

With the sin bin rule, referees would have to be more careful about showing a yellow card. Silly offences like removing your shirt after scoring a goal could be written off.

Refs would also have to be 100% certain that they had the right player and that the offence was harsh enough to warrant a spell in the bin. The punishment rules would need to be reviewed and that has to be a good thing. We so many silly yellows cards these days it's laughable.

I have felt for years that the yellow & red cards system needs updating.

In the old days you used to have to pretty much punch someone square on the nose to get a booking. Nowadays you get one for pretty much nothing.

I think it is long overdue that perhaps an "orange card" was introduced which would possibly be met with a period in the sin bin, for those offenses that are slightly worse than a Yellow card, but not quite requiring a red.

With the way the game has changed, i think that this just gives referees a bit more option on how to punish different fouls. imo.

i can never understand why players take their shirts off or kick the ball away. They know they'll get a yellow card so they should be fined by their club. If the sin bin rule applied and they carried on doing this it's their own fault for being stupid.

I think the key thing about the sin bin is that it punishes those clubs who don't care about a suspension, because they have a stack of internationals in their reserves and don't care about the risk of two yellow cards, because they substitute the offender with another international before he can get a second.

It also benefits the team that's sinned against, unlike a 5-yellow suspension.

Instead of a sin bin the offending player should be paraded around the perimeter of the pitch on an open caddy (similar to the ones used by the physios sometimes ) and be gently pelted by rotten tomatos or pies sold within the ground.

Every ones a winner.

The caterers improve their profits,the crowd have some excitement and the players more incentive to behave.

What's not to like.?

We could perhaps test it out on Prat ini himself !

There'd be no bath, just an empty tub! They'd have to skulk home on the bus with muddy knees and their mum would have to wash their kit for them(cos they wouldn't know how).

with cameras ffs, we need to stop the cheats and the foulers, and the pretenders

maybe football should be watched two days later to weed out all that is corrupt, or do we just turn

up on the day and take it as it is......a friggin sport that we all seem to all enjoy....win or loose init

It would never work.

Compare the average of yellows in a rugby match to that of a football match, there would be hardly any players on the field in football!

Eh? The player would be off the pitch for 10 minutes. Or are you anticipating 10 more yellow card offences during those 10 minutes.

It will be a great thing to bring in imo.

It may possibly improve behaviour and cut some if the cheating.

The thing is with comparing football to rugby is the number of yellow cards. In a rugby game, 2 yellow cards is not very common. But in football there could be 4 yellow cards in 10 minutes leaving it at 7 v 11 or 9 v 9? Also in rugby, a yellow card can come for punching someone in the face, rather worse than just being a bit rubbish at tackling. Not for me. Think of the derby

days. Old Firm matches would be mental

The real comparison is that Rugby players ( most of the time) play to the rules and respect the referee.

Rugby players are more than capable of breaking rules,the reason they don't is because losing a player to the bin gives there team a big disadvantage.

Footballers will eventually wake up to this, instead of taking a yellow for the team, it will be to the detriment of the team.

Hopefully we may finally get rid of the cheats and the cynical side of our game.

Bring it on.

With the sin bin rule, referees would have to be more careful about showing a yellow card. Silly offences like removing your shirt after scoring a goal could be written off.

Refs would also have to be 100% certain that they had the right player and that the offence was harsh enough to warrant a spell in the bin. The punishment rules would need to be reviewed and that has to be a good thing. We so many silly yellows cards these days it's laughable.

That's very true, it's a good point... However I hope it doesn't make it so that things that should get a yellow go unpunished because the referee doesn't want to ruin the game or doesn't feel it worthy of 10 minutes off the pitch. And even if they did review it, I still feel that football is a game in which it is always going to be easier to get yellow cards than Rugby in which you are allowed to/trying to 'foul' the opposition players, so there isn't as much for a yellow card to be given for.

Good idea, IMO, but what happens when a player gets a yellow in the last minute? Does it carry over?

No but it means he cannot have a shower and has to go home and have one. 

As for the goalie getting sent off for last man down?..Thats a bit harsh and i agree with Platini on that one; the penalty is punishment enough but maybe an immediate sin bin.. meaning an outfield player has to go between the sticks for 15 minutes.. hey... I am on to something here chaps. ;)

Please explain how you have come to that conclusion.

Ok it was an exaggeration to say it would happen so frequently. 

But you are telling me you can't imagine a scenario where teams have 4 players in the sin bin at the same time? All it takes is for a player to make a challenge that the others disagree with and you could potentially have 5 players between  both teams sin binned in this one action of play. People will argue that it will stop players getting involved but as already mentioned we have seen players get sent off for second bookings for kicking the ball away and taking off their shirts in the current system so what makes them think this would work. Footballers as we all know are not known for being the brightest.

It also benefits the team that's sinned against, unlike a 5-yellow suspension.

But surely the 5 card suspension is the penalty for persistence rule breaking in numerous games? The penalty for the one booking is just that. You can't say that a player carrying a booking doesn't benefit the other team as that player can no longer get involved as strongly as before at the risk of getting sent off- They are less likely to contest 50-50 balls, pull players shirts etc

IMO we need a fine balance between the two. Possibly a sin bin for offences such as arguing with the ref or diving and a card system for unfair challenges etc Then you might get rid of the cheating/abusing refs but not turn football into a non contact sport.

I think its a great idea as would kick out problems then just discourage things Like

time wasting , petty fouls , or say nasty tackles that players do just because are out side the box, mouthing off at the ref .

You may get a few games where its mad but players would actually respect the ref more and you would then think refs might be a bit more leniant on things like shoulder barging ttwo players going for the same ball sliding in etc.

But even if didn't go with sin bin I think the main thing we should take from rugby is only the captains talking to the ref .

Archived