IGNORED

Sl On Radio Briz (Merged)

REDOXO

A really good interview with the major shareholder this afternoon!

I'm sure there will be a link put up soon, however the main points!

Bristol City costs a huge amount of money, SL makes up the shortfall

He does get upset about some of the (undue) criticism

He has felt like walking away at times, but will not as he is commited to Bristol City FC and the new stadium 

AG redevelopment is most likely but AV not ruled out

Bristol Rugby will be played at AG/AV

Money is available to SC and he will back his manager

Invited people to come down to speak with the club if they have a genuine concern rather than post faceless comments on this and other internet forums

Bloke sounded very passionate and intent on shutting a few people up! Hope it Works!

Also fully explained the recruitment of SC and 5 pillars etc etc etc.

Great interview with no punches pulled from SL or the interviewer.

Should shut up a few gobs.

I've no issues with SL, I have major issues with his Son and Dawe.

I've no issues with SL, I have major issues with his Son and Dawe.

Exactly and if you did go down there, as TRL says they do not reply to letters, you would probably not have a cat in hells chance of speaking to Ghost or Jon.

What is more are they gonna lay on 1000+ cups of tea to those who have expressed the same views?.. you do not need to go down to the ground to express the views of thousands but what you do need to do is actually come out and give us an answer to all of the baffling things that happened during the manager change.

And now I have another one.. if you are going to back Cotts with money why did you not do the same with Sean?.. Or do we not believe a damn thing he, the media and the web site have been telling us for the past 9 months? Baffling.

Perhaps he/the club should arrange a drop-in session. It's blooming rich him to say something like posting on a faceless forum when we don't particularly have much other option. Yes we had a meet with the manager but it is with him and the board most people would like to meet. Why not have over the next few weeks for a few hours pre game 15 minute slots where you can sign up and meet a member of the board?

The club, in my experience, do not respond to letters and correspondence so I wholeheartedly disagree with where he has come from on that point, and maybe highlights he's out of touch.

Also it is nice to know he feels criticism is unjust. Unfortunately mr lansdown just because you believe it to be so does not make it.

Agree 29AR.

As many other have said many times as have I - the day he left the UK was the day the clubs forward trajectory ended.. and he knows it. 

I can understand why people become non-resident and all of the reasons behind it. In his case I simply disagree with his arguments. Anyway, his club is paying the price big time because of that decision because the people he has put in charge are, without a doubt, clueless. So, if SL feels like walking away, and this is the first time I have come out and said this, then so be it. We are in about the same place we were when we he took over only probably in more debt. He gave it a good crack.

oh and its now Hoof 0 Rotherham 2

Guest Redrobbin

They don't even turn up to a press conference when a new manager is appointed. So what chance has a poor city fan of having his voice heard?

Guest Redrobbin

They don't even turn up to a press conference when a new manager is appointed. So what chance has a poor city fan got in having his voice heard ?!

Still at least he has his priorities right...tens of millions in debt, hemorrhaging fans at an alarming right, club falling like a stone BUT people on a forum the club has nothing to do with can come down for chat chat.

Of course there was a facility to ask questions directly on here many moons ago, but even that proved too hard.

They don't even turn up to a press conference when a new manager is appointed. So what chance has a poor city fan got in having his voice heard ?!

SL just answered that, when sod got the sack the board were given stick by the press, so they decided not to turn up of the signing of the new boss,which SL backed!

Sounds like SL has the club still in his heart.

took no responsibility for anything, and blamed everyone else including the players.

peeved because the media don't swallow his shitty (and hypocritical, contradictory)  PR

sounded like a petulant rich man who doesn't understand why he isn't loved

SL just answered that, when sod got the sack the board were given stick by the press, so they decided not to turn up of the signing of the new boss,which SL backed!

well, what a grown up and rational approach!

the phrase 'toys out of the pram' springs to  mind

What is more are they gonna lay on 1000+ cups of tea to those who have expressed the same views?

There are not 1000+ fans expressing the same views! There are 1000+ fans expressing 1000+ views. Theres a difference! That's why it's almost pointless trying to appease fans by trying to listen to 1000's of incoherent rants from people like you! They are much better off speaking to the manager, coaching staff, players etc. Than people like me and you, who only think we know better than the experts!

He admitted he was hurt by people being critical of him...and his family, part of the no show at

the press conference was as he didn't want to put them up to be slaughtered by the press.

He also defended the comments re the boards inexperience and got quite heated reiterating

what he saw as the boards experience.

I read that as the comments about his son's lack of experience and competence has really hurt.

After all it would have been JL normally at the PC, as Dawe never speaks and SL is not a board member, plus

the(lack of)  experience remarks can only refer to JL.

Also said Bristol City is a successful football club.

No Steve Norwich, Swansea, Southampton (all recently in L1) are successful.

We are not successful !

I take it SL is referring to myself as well as others.

I would be happy to discuss my concerns with you Steve (if you are reading this), namely about the ownership of Ashton Gate by Bristol City Holdings and Bristol rugby belief that they have equal rights to AG, even though they are not owned by or have anything to do with Bristol City holdings. 

As such either we BCFC or them BRFC are being lied to by the major shareholder......which is it?

Sound very petulant.

I've no problem with Steve, however his son is a idiot with zero business Expereince and is running the club into the ground.

The longer he leaves his son in control, the worse the situation will get I feel.

Time for the Lansdown's to write off the financial damage they have done to the club and let someone else take control.

Sound very petulant.

I've no problem with Steve, however his son is a idiot with zero business Expereince and is running the club into the ground.

The longer he leaves his son in control, the worse the situation will get I feel.

Time for the Lansdown's to write off the financial damage they have done to the club and let someone else take control.

There is no way we should be in this mess, the chairman of the club should do Juniors work.

As SL said "he has been close to packing it in"

I personally thought he came over really badly.

My two personal favourites were admitting that the board didn't volunteer for interviews at the unveiling of Cotterill because of criticism they'd received from the press and that people 'make too much of the 5 pillars'.

Now I'm only an occasional reader of the post, but I must have missed it's hard hitting journalism. If the criticism the board received after the SO'D sacking was enough to make them play the 'fine we wont talk to you' card then I really do despair. I would suggest they go and find a job in a company slightly less in the spotlight if they cannot deal with criticism from the press. Imagine the stick a manager would get if he refused to talk to the media because they criticised his team selection the week before. Pretty embarrassing from grown adults in all honesty. Gary Johnson's response to the Post after the Orr/Brooker/Partridge/Brown incident was spot on and entirely called for in my opinion, this however is nothing but pathetic.

As for people 'making too much of the 5 pillars', well he better tell his son because he keeps emailing me about them! I actually agree with his base point in that all they actually are is a guide to how a club should be run and I do think that some fans are guilty of making too much of them (comments such as 'would the new manager buy into the 5 pillars'). But this has only happened because the only things we hear from the board are banging on about the bloody things. Following this up with 'maybe we've been too open with the fans' was beyond belief.

At one point he tried to assure everyone that he has 'thick skin' but some of his petulant responses to the criticism aimed at him and/or the board would suggest he has anything but.

All in all the icing on a pretty s*** day. 

Sound very petulant.

Someone in mind or waiting in the wings that you know of?....I heard there was an Arab in the stand today!

Thought it strange when he said SC wants to be involved with all elements of the club... Surely he should be told NO... How can the manager/head coach be interchangeable if he is dictating the academies style of play or getting involved in other matters.. I thought the whole idea was to create a club that creates a support system for the first team.. But is also at arms length and beyond the interference / whims / of the first team coach/manager.

Anyway nice to hear him speak and see he still had some fire in him.

Guest Redrobbin

Phone up and ask, give you the number if you want, as he said been to enough question and answer nights.

Yes red I do appreciate what Steve has done for us. And no doubt will continue to do. But I do feel he has gone missing since he stepped down as chairman. And when he did so he did say he wanted to take a "back seat". But his son is not comfortable in front of the media and the "Chairman" is a ghost who no one sees or hears.

And they have made a fatal mistake, IMO sacking SOD. Just look at the performance today they were flying around like headless chickens again. Back to square one I say!

Yes red I do appreciate what Steve has done for us. And no doubt will continue to do. But I do feel he has gone missing since he stepped down as chairman. And when he did so he did say he wanted to take a "back seat". But his son is not comfortable in front of the media and the "Chairman" is a ghost who no one sees or hears.

And they have made a fatal mistake, mistake IMO sacking SOD. Just look at the performance today they were flying around like headless chickens again. Back to square one I say!

i agree with you that he has gone missing since stepping down, but i also think that the manager is there to pick a team that will compete, SOD never gave any impression of this, so he had to go. Results count, so i will see how wrong or right the board were in a few weeks time! I believe that a few of the players starting today will slowly disappear. Well at the mo we can only hope things improve. 

Wow, it has hardly universal stick the board were getting was it?

I for one was all for them getting rid of that joker of a manager we had in last. That guy will be the reason we go down again.

Guest Redrobbin

Wow, it has hardly universal stick the board were getting was it?

I for one was all for them getting rid of that joker of a manager we had in last. That guy will be the reason we go down again.

So if we go down is Sods fault not cottrell's?

Guest Redrobbin

i agree with you that he has gone missing since stepping down, but i also think that the manager is there to pick a team that will compete, SOD never gave any impression of this, so he had to go. Results count, so i will see how wrong or right the board were in a few weeks time! I believe that a few of the players starting today will slowly disappear. Well at the mo we can only hope things improve.

As said, I think we have made a fatal mistake. Sod would I believe would have kept us up.

Judging by our disjointed performance today, and I know we have to give him time. But at this moment in time Cottrell has not impressed!

Guest Swindon8er

Can't believe he admitted the board didn't show at the press conference to basically duck any awkward questions on SOD's departure.

SL is a long way down the road to being one of the worst things to happen at BCFC.

He has stripped assets from the club and has left it void of direction and a completely uninvestible entity.

NickJ has it spot on. Last season relegation was almost welcomed by some to purge the club of some absolute carp. Sometimes I wonder what would be acceptable to purge the club of the lansdown's. Are they the better of two evils?

I don't care if he is insulted that I think his son is a pillock. I'm sure JL is a perfectly nice bloke, but his lack of creds makes me extremely unforgiving. The fact only his old man has employed him makes me certain he is a silver-spooned, incompetent heir.

We should have heeded Scott Davidson's warning at the time! SL is here to make a legacy. Once he realised he made an incredible ballsup of it he has spread his wings further (rugby club).

The only legacy he's set to create here is contempt.

Guest GoingUp

Sorry mr sl but you sound like a parent who disagrees with a teachers bad report and unfavourable opinion about your boy.face up to the fact that your boy is taking us to the basement division and if you dont put him out of his misery (he appears more totally lost and pissed of every time he appears on tv) we'll be there in 5 short months time.a man of your business acumen must know youve made a mistake so do what you have to do knowing you can set the boy up in any other business you like with your wherewithal.nepotism in business matters very rarely works.

Could you lead me to this 'personal abuse' you speak of?

Sound very petulant.

Is not calling someone an idiot not personal abuse?

On what basis does the poster define JL as an idiot?

Has he had personal dealings with him. If not you cannot make that assumption.

JL is not Chairman how come he personally responsible for all the supposed ills at the club?

Just asking.

I wish people would stop attacking the best thing that has happened to Bristol City for years STEVE LANSDOWN,he has given us all his time and his money for years giving us promotion play-off final and many great memory's to look back on and in the future a new stadium so please back the guy don't knock him.  

Just beat me to it, BS3 _ Red.Thanks for trying Steve but you have failed. Put the club up for sale, then do what you have to do. I for one would be happy to see us go down again.If it meant we had a new Chairman and board, and could start with a clean slate.

I find it amazing how the board bottled the press conference for 'Cotts' because they'd received a bit of stick for sacking SOD.

Nothing like sticking to your guns, eh!  Backing your decision, fronting up.

Of all the things going wrong at this club over the last few years, this is the one I find most laughable, and most unacceptable.

Dawe - Harman - J Lansdown - Arathoon : YOU made the decision to sack SOD.  YOU made the decision to appoint 'Cotts'.  YOU should be bold enough to stand by your decisions, not wimp out and hope it all goes away.  Have courage in your convictions.

This is the most yellow-bellied action yet from this as yet unproven group of men.  I'm appalled by this, I really am.

SL has said he will never call the debt in and will write it off at some point, I believe him.

SL said 'mark my words that ground will be built'. SL said when he went to Guernsey and left the board that he'd not let the club suffer.

I don't for one believe anything he says and what is more I have no reason to believe him.

If he could write off the debt and hand the club, with the stadium, to AN Other I would be utterly thrilled.

I wish people would stop attacking the best thing that has happened to Bristol City for years STEVE LANSDOWN,he has given us all his time and his money for years giving us promotion play-off final and many great memory's to look back on and in the future a new stadium so please back the guy don't knock him.

SL is leading us into the gutters. The new stadium is in fact a vastly, hideously overpriced refurb.

As for the good times those were delivered by a man who came in, saw the rotten culture at the club WHICH DEVELOPED UNDER SL'S HELM, stripped it back and brought in hard working professionals who performed 110% for the shirt - see Byfield. SL's wild pursuit of the prem which was, albeit a one season wonder, highly unattainable raised expectations to what would only be a disastrous level.

Since then he has pulled the plug and is signing off cheques and taking no intervention at a point when what this club needs most is intervention. Someone to come in at board level and say 'what the effing hell have you cretins been playing at?'.

SL is no hero. He wanted his name to go down in history. He's realised the task in hand here after trying to make the club run before it could walk and in turn turning it into a crawling disaster and set his sights on the rugby club - an easier win.

I predict in years to come we will see the ground which rightfully belongs to our club belonging to the Rugby club once their fans continue to believe in his messiah status - maybe when they are premier league and the darling of the region and we are league two or even worse which is where we are currently heading.

I tell you what, the ground ownership issue is becoming more worrying as time goes on.

It certainly is. I'd say it is only a matter of time before it falls into the ownership of another sporting entity, hence why I hold the Lansdown's in such low regard and wish there was an alternative. Unfortunately the dirt he has created means that the alternative really isn't there. This is why I believe SL is no hero but indeed one of the worst things to happen to the club. Stuff the playoff final and all the good times - I'd trade the lot to own our own ground!

SL in talking shit shocker. The excuse for the non show of board members on cotterill's appointment is truly laughable.

Sums the gutless wonders up well. All backed up by perfect Steve "I'm a fan" lansdown

They need to stop plugging this 5 pillars thing. It's an embarrassment, claiming to have a unique strategy whereas in reality it's identical to every other professional club in the world.

Much of it just increases the chances of winning Bull**** Bingo on rainy afternoons at AG.

It certainly is. I'd say it is only a matter of time before it falls into the ownership of another sporting entity, hence why I hold the Lansdown's in such low regard and wish there was an alternative. Unfortunately the dirt he has created means that the alternative really isn't there. This is why I believe SL is no hero but indeed one of the worst things to happen to the club. Stuff the playoff final and all the good times - I'd trade the lot to own our own ground!

If he chooses to leave the best return will be to sell AG to someone independently of the club.

If he doesn't want to be vilified for eternity then when he sells up the ground has to be sold with the club.

My best guess is the debt will be written off, he'll be shot of BCFC and he'll keep the stadium. The Rugby club will be his toy then.

Here is my 5p worth. I have been loyally behind SL since the beginning and up until he left the country as an exile especially after his reasons for going were made known. I said then it was a mistake not for the tax saving benefits but for the cost it would have on the club; I had no idea it would be this bad mind. Any savings he may have made in tax have been royally blown away by our demise since his departure.

And when, recently, I frivolously called for the board to resign it was after SO'D was sacked and then replaced by a wholly underwhelming replacement. Not, in itself, because the former was doing badly or because the latter was not, personally, to my taste. No, I asked for that because they have started to lie to us and to duck away from us and treat us like we are all a bit thick. I suppose they can do what they jolly well like as they are in control but woe behold those you treat fans with on-going disdain and run a club so badly.

I hope Steve sticks around but clearly something needs to change pretty darn fast in the boardroom. I doubt it will happen but Steve, himself, announcing he is coming back to do crisis management would be a very good way of beginning the work to get the fans back on side. Right now i get the feeling my sentiments are fairly widespread.

When it comes to JL, let's drop the 'pillock' and 'idiot' stuff. Incompetent is the word.

It's not his fault that he's incompetent; he's trying to better himself, like we all do. I respect him for working way out of his comfort zone. But it's the people who place him there and fail to recognize that he's incompetent. JL is obviously out of his depth, and in any other company would've been given the boot months ago. He just wouldn't be there.

Steve needs to take a long hard look at himself. He knows what must be done, stop faffing.

This club does not have the time and patience to ease him down gently.

We are not interested in protecting your sons dignity, self confidence or cv. There are thousands of people suffering due to your poor decision s and nepotism. Sort it steve. NOW.

Here is my 5p worth. I have been loyally behind SL since the beginning and up until he left the country as an exile especially after his reasons for going were made known. I said then it was a mistake not for the tax saving benefits but for the cost it would have on the club; I had no idea it would be this bad mind. Any savings he may have made in tax have been royally blown away by our demise since his departure.

And when, recently, I frivolously called for the board to resign it was after SO'D was sacked and then replaced by a wholly underwhelming replacement. Not, in itself, because the former was doing badly or because the latter was not, personally, to my taste. No, I asked for that because they have started to lie to us and to duck away from us and treat us like we are all a bit thick. I suppose they can do what they jolly well like as they are in control but woe behold those you treat fans with on-going disdain and run a club so badly.

I hope Steve sticks around but clearly something needs to change pretty darn fast in the boardroom. I doubt it will happen but Steve, himself, announcing he is coming back to do crisis management would be a very good way of beginning the work to get the fans back on side. Right now i get the feeling my sentiments are fairly widespread.

i too think it might help if he could find time to get back in the office for a bit,maybe call in the slackers for bollockings when needed etc,give the whole outfit someone to look out for and respect for their leadership.

however,he could already be doing that for all i know but if that was the case,we really are in trouble

A superb post NickJ. However, I'd love for City to be more like Chelsea or Manchester City but that's dream land. We're the poor bottom of the third tier Ciderellas of English football with a $billionaire owner that knows jack shit about how to make this club successful on the pitch. We were doing far better with Scott Davidson at the helm.

How about buying some decent players for a change!

Until we get a manager who knows what they are doing with this we will always struggle.

Archived