IGNORED

Motd

Super

Suarez is certainly red hot at the moment but he'd have to maintain his current form over several seasons to be compared with Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer.

Think he pretty much has kept this form for the past 4 or 5 years. 200 or so goals in about 320 appearences in the Dutch, English and world stage. Still only 26 I think he will massively surpass Shearer. Do well to surpass Henry as I don't see him getting the honours Henry got at international level (although his goal scoring record could easily beat Henry's)

That said I think his record is better than Henry's at the same age. As they say, sort out is odd moments when the brain doesn't engage, and the world is his lobster!

Thierry Henry averaged a goal every 1.45 games during his 8 year Arsenal career. Very impressive indeed and if Suarez gets near or betters that over the same period then we could confidently say that he was a better striker.

Firstly though he has to better Alan Shearers 1 in 2 goal ratio over his entire career including international games. That's also very impressive especially as Shearer only played in one successful season at Blackburn, the rest of his career he played for teams that were very average.

Henry on the other hand played in very successful Arsenal team over the entire 8'seasons.

Suarez is certainly red hot at the moment but he'd have to maintain his current form over several seasons to be compared with Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer.

Whatever, we can comfortably say that Luis Suarez is the best striker to have appeared at Ashton Gate in the last 30 years. I'm glad I didn't turn back when faced with the massive long queues prior to the City v Ajax game. Luis Suarez scored against us that evening !!!! :shifty:

Thierry Henry averaged a goal every 1.45 games during his 8 year Arsenal career. Very impressive indeed and if Suarez gets near or betters that over the same period then we could confidently say that he was a better striker.

Firstly though he has to better Alan Shearers 1 in 2 goal ratio over his entire career including international games. That's also very impressive especially as Shearer only played in one successful season at Blackburn, the rest of his career he played for teams that were very average.

Henry on the other hand played in very successful Arsenal team over the entire 8'seasons.

Yup. I think Suarez if his current goals to games ratio continues will fly past shearer (he already is bettering 1 in 2)

Henry developed later as well due to being converted to a winger and being a bit part in his early Arsenal Career. Suarez is already smacking both when it comes to goals to games ratio at national level and has already surpassed Shearer's national goal tally at the age of 26.

He he carries this form through to 30 he will eclipse both on the stats front I think. I think (Although a diffrrent type of player) he is already better than shearer at the same age.

Unless Uruguay suddenly become world beaters I can't see him eclipsing Henry's achivements. But stats wise I think he can.

Yup. I think Suarez if his current goals to games ratio continues will fly past shearer (he already is bettering 1 in 2)

Henry developed later as well due to being converted to a winger and being a bit part in his early Arsenal Career. Suarez is already smacking both when it comes to goals to games ratio at national level and has already surpassed Shearer's national goal tally at the age of 26.

He he carries this form through to 30 he will eclipse both on the stats front I think. I think (Although a diffrrent type of player) he is already better than shearer at the same age.

Unless Uruguay suddenly become world beaters I can't see him eclipsing Henry's achivements. But stats wise I think he can.

They don't come around often - players like Suarez - but Luis Suarez and Diego Forlan were instrumental in getting Uruguay to the Semis of the last world cup. Luis Suarez is a brilliant player - true world class - and he's only going to get better the way things stand. By the end of his career he'll be spoken of in the sames terms as Pele and Eusebio.

They don't come around often - players like Suarez - but Luis Suarez and Diego Forlan were instrumental in getting Uruguay to the Semis of the last world cup. Luis Suarez is a brilliant player - true world class - and he's only going to get better the way things stand. By the end of his career he'll be spoken of in the sames terms as Pele and Eusebio.

Same terms as Pele? Haha

Same terms as Pele? Haha

Why not?  Pele was great in his generation, but never played football outside of Brazil in league tournaments (apart from America i the twilight of his career)  He was great on the world stage in WCs in a very good Brazil team.  

You can only judge players in the era they played in.  We will never know if Pele could have adapted to playing in Europe.  We don't know if he would have played so well against today's goalies and defenders... not to mention the fitness levels. Likewise, would  Suarez live with lack of protection back then?  Maybe after all, Uruguay is one of the dirtiest leagues in the world, but maybe not.

You can only judge what is put in front of you when you play.  He has the potential.  

Personally, and I have mentioned this before, I think Ruud Gullit is the best payer ever.  Only player I know who could play in every single position (other than goal keeper) to a very high level.  May not have been the most technically gifted compared to your Cruyff's, Ronaldo's, Messi's and Pele's, but boy he was a player.

Whatever, we can comfortably say that Luis Suarez is the best striker to have appeared at Ashton Gate in the last 30 years. I'm glad I didn't turn back when faced with the massive long queues prior to the City v Ajax game. Luis Suarez scored against us that evening !!!! :shifty:

It's a close one but I say Samual Eto'o was the best player to play at the gate in recent times when he played for Mallorca. We have also had Ruud Gullit and he has won a European Champoinships.

Er.... Bas Savage?!?!

You shouldn't really include international goals in an assessment of a player- at major tournaments, perhaps, but both Shearer and Suarez will have scored goals against some terrible international teams

Suarez is a fantastic player- an odious human being, but a fantastic footballer. I don't think he'll be at Liverpool next season though (signs a new contract where his wages don't go up fully until next season? That's a team and player hedging their bets if ever I saw one) , so in the long term he'll not beat the records of Henry, Shearer, etc.

As for greatest ever, I don't think he's the greatest around at the minute, though he is the best player in the Premier League. I'd say Ronaldo, Messi and Iniesta are better footballers (the latter not really being a fair comparison) but he's not far off.

My all time faves are Cantona, Bergkamp, Platini and Van Basten. All technically gifted, all interesting characters and all thought about the game on a different level to those around them. I suspect a lot of that is rose tinted spectacles though

I don't think today's footballers will ever be thought of in the same terms as Pele, Eusebio, Pushkas or Di Stefano because modern footballers are recorded from every conceivable angle and stuck up on YouTube. Mystery still shrouds the talents of those men because we've seen so little of them playing

Barkley is looking a hell of a player. We have to start him at the world cup as he looks like a real gem for the future, good with both feet and can take on a player with ease. I bet Hodgson goes for Lampard/Gerrard instead though.

Barkley is looking a hell of a player. We have to start him at the world cup as he looks like a real gem for the future, good with both feet and can take on a player with ease. I bet Hodgson goes for Lampard/Gerrard instead though.

If they were flying out tomorrow Barkley and Henderson would be on the plane but you don't know if they will have as good a second half to the season.

Archived