IGNORED

Liam Kelly

You Do The Dziekanowski

I'd prefer Kelly to Pack covering the defence. A place might be made for Pack a bit more centrally, where he can pass forward.

Of course, this is wish list stuff. He's been out a long time, might be very rusty and not game fit, and we don't even know he will return in January.

IMO our season would have looked a lot healthier if we'd been able to deploy Kelly from the start.

Wasn't really sure what his role in midfield is, he said he was a box to box scoring midfielder when he first joined, but was sitting in front of the back four when he was playing..

Him and Reid in midfield would be a great partnership

He was odd last season, Didn't set the world a light but did the dirty work well, Hopefully the trio I mentioned play well and Kelly has time to return to full fitness and isn't rushed in to the starting XI

Reid and Kelly sounds like a dangerous partnership, Reid is box to box but more expressive and dangerous going forward, Kelly is box to box (basically runs around a lot) but prefers to sit deeper more

Really can't understand the "love in" on this forum for Liam Kelly.

I have not seen anything from him and he was one of the reasons we were so poor last season, for a central midfielder he never looks to get on the ball and can go missing for long periods.

Described as a box to box scoring midfielder, I don't think so.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I it hard to believe I've just read that.  One of the reasons we were so poor last season?  Never looks to get on the ball?  Really?

I have not seen anything from him and he was one of the reasons we were so poor last season, for a central midfielder he never looks to get on the ball and can go missing for long periods.

In fact, once he joined the club the defence were much more settled and we stopped shipping as many goals.

Guest BCFCBristolRed

Yawn........

Here we go.....

Love in? FFS, why is it whenever anyone says anything positive on this forum its a love in?!

I happen to rate Kelly on what Ive seen, but a 'love in'? Do me a favour.

I didn't see anything in Kelly to be honest, he looked like another average player to me and looks to be a squad player not an automatic first teamer in my opinion. Mind you, for the most part, he was playing alongside a few players who had no guts or pride which didn't help him.

I hope the kid makes a full recovery and gets 100% fit but I don't think he's a player who will make a tangible difference to the team based upon what I've seen of him.  

I thought he was ok last season, but this pre-season he was stepping it up a level. He was a driving force in midfield all of the  games i witnessed. I am fairly certain he would have been named captain had he been fit and would have led by example. That is certainly something we could have done with the first half of the season imo

• Admin

It's the old syndrome of the longer a certain player is out of the starting line-up the better he gets. Simon Clist was the biggest beneficiary of this peculiarity during my time as a City fan.

I'm not saying Liam Kelly wouldn't be beneficial to our cause, I'm not saying we wouldn't be (slightly) higher up the table with him in our side but in my mind there is no doubt that he has benefited from not playing in this season's team.

It's the old syndrome of the longer a certain player is out of the starting line-up the better he gets. Simon Clist was the biggest beneficiary of this peculiarity during my time as a City fan.

I'm not saying Liam Kelly wouldn't be beneficial to our cause, I'm not saying we wouldn't be (slightly) higher up the table with him in our side but in my mind there is no doubt that he has benefited from not playing in this season's team.

There are certain exceptions, but I'd don't think many footballers think they benefit from having career threatening injuries that at the very least put back their development by a year, regardless of who they'd be playing for.

I'd like to see him back, but in this case no news whilst being no news doesn't sound encouraging. Hope he is at least progessing and will be fit to play again.

Guest Woolford's Hairband

Has anything been officially said about his return date? Just seen a lot of speculation on this thread that he nearly ready for a return, either that or I have completely missed it in which case I should be a lot more attentive!

Will be interesting to see what he can bring to the team on his return though. 

I haven't seen anything recently, I just remember the club said he'll be back around Christmas, He's off his crutches and has been doing light training (mainly working on leg muscles) that's the last I heard

I think that was in the Bounty Hunters interview with SoD

That was an early comment from the club to say he'd be out until at least Christmas, as a very minimum. Basically they had no idea at that stage.

Even if the operation, recovery and fitness build up went perfectly January would be an extremely early return to first team contention after such an injury.

He'd be doing well if we see him in action before March imo.

Guest alwaysbelieve

I haven't seen anything recently, I just remember the club said he'll be back around Christmas, He's off his crutches and has been doing light training (mainly working on leg muscles) that's the last I heard

I think that was in the Bounty Hunters interview with SoD

You heard wrong didn't you, I am Liam Kelly himself

Archived