IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

What is wrong with some of you. Blaming Baldock and JET. These two have given us half a chance of staying up this season.

Sure Baldock should be better at 1 on 1's but he will get 20 goals this season.

And JET is a bit lazy and has the odd off game.

But put even a reasonable midfield and defence together behind them and we would be in the top 6.

Be careful not to questions Baldock's finishing....if you do you might be considered not fit to support the club!

His lack of composure is what worries me. Rabbit it in the headlights.

However what equally worries me is that we are still conceding too many goals. Poor goals at that as well. We shouldn't be so reliant on scoring 3 goals every game to win. I've been critical of Baldock but for as poor as his finishing has been I feel he is under even more pressure due to us not keeping them out at the other end!!

Why would you measure a striker on assists you clown?

I measure a striker at the end of a season on goals. SB is on course for 20+ which would be a phenomenal return given that we are looking at the real possibility of a relegation battle.

What would you measure someone who plays off of the striker ie jet, as a phenomenal return in terms of goals and chances created/assists given that we are looking at the real possibility of a relegation battle??

So it wasn't the non existent defending for the two goals that cost us today? We shouldn't have to rely on scoring three to win, especially at home.

We could've been 3 up inside 20 with the chances we had, If we scored 2 or 3 the game would've been out of sight and the defence wouldn't of been under as much pressure

Take the chances when you have them as more times than not it'll bite you on your arse as witnessed today

So today yes I feel JET and Baldock have lost us two valuable points for missing at crucial times of the game, Which has been a story of our season so far

Ok, so yes, Baldocks scored 15 this season which is very good BUT he could have had so many more. I think why alot of people are miffed at he is because he misses decent chances at important points in games ie when were on top or misses 1 or 2 good chances then we go 1 - 0.

Thing is baldock, could with a little training sort out his problem with one on ones. Problem is when he's through on goal he makes a bee-line STRAIGHT at the keeper, so all the keeper needs to do is run staright at him and spread himself. He doesn't shift the ball to change his angle on goal so the keeper can't run straight at him so easily or open up more area of the goal to shoot at. Hell he doesn't even try and round the keeper! THAT is his problem, he's not doing anywhere near enough to give him a good chance of converting them. Thing is this is basic stuff! Even strikers from league 2 and some even lower do this.

If baldock wants to be playing at a higher level he needs to sort this out for himself not just bristol city. Lucky for him, if he puts his mind to it he can change this part of his game, he's already got the talent. Its not something that can't be fixed with some coaching.

If Baldock takes his chances today it's a different game altogether - as it could have been on Wednesday v Watford.

If city could defend it would be a different season all together

To blame a striker who is scoring 1 in 2 games for the postion we are in or for dropped point is frankly moronic

The problem is no bite in midfield and a poor centre back who god.......we........sod spent a shit load of money on

To blame a striker who is scoring 1 in 2 games for the postion we are in or for dropped point is frankly moronic

The problem is no bite in midfield and a poor centre back who god.......we........sod spent a shit load of money on

******* hell, nobody is disputing that his goals return is bad, what were saying is if he takes his easy chances the games will be different, I guarantee if you spoke to SB he would more than likely agree he should be on more goals with the chances he's had.

The defence is an issue but for a completely different thread, just because they have been awful it should not excuse the chances SB has missed and I'm unsure why you would try and use the defence as a justification for this?

Let me be clear here, I like SB, he's hard working and seems a decent level headed bloke, I just think he should be putting away more of the chances he's had.

It's the same argument as "Well at least he's trying", it doesn't stick at all, 22 1 on 1s and to score 0 any player in any division at any level is shocking

I haven't read the rest yet, but are you just plucking numbers out your back side?

Where do you get 22 missed one on ones? Have you kept count?

How can you say he's scored 0?

There's some absolute garbage being spouted in this thread!

I haven't read the rest yet, but are you just plucking numbers out your back side?

Where do you get 22 missed one on ones? Have you kept count?

How can you say he's scored 0?

There's some absolute garbage being spouted in this thread!

That's the figure going round, I've seen most games and it certainly feels like he's missed 22, even more. He's certainly missed more than he's scored, that's for sure

I think you should check the record books on the money spent on Flint and what Sean thought of the amount; moreover, he was not the money man. Idle chatter can place anyone in a bad light on a particular subject when it is unwarranted.

I think you should check the record books on the money spent on Flint and what Sean thought of the amount; moreover, he was not the money man. Idle chatter can place anyone in a bad light on a particular subject when it is unwarranted.

And if you check the record book the money spent on Baldock...

Guest SaltfordRed

Baldock frustrates the **** out of me. Looks like he's got the ability to do it, but consistently misses guilt edged chances. First half MK played with a ridiculously high line, leading us to get Baldock in behind on numerous occasions- he should of had us 3-0 up in the first 10 minutes, which would have killed the game. Second half MK didn't play so high, therefore we couldn't get Sam in behind as often.

The chances that Baldock's had this season, he could've scored 30 already, and if he had done we'd be sat in a much better position.

Baldock score 2 misses 3,4, so bloody what,the bloke gets into positions because he's good.

I think it's more of what we have in midfield, is the problem.

Come on then you Baldock bashers, who would you bring in to do a better job.

Baldock score 2 misses 3,4, so bloody what,the bloke gets into positions because he's good.

I wouldn't exactly say "so what" to him missing open goals and countless 1 on 1s but I get your point

If Baldock was to leave this window I'd be gutted, at the end of the day there isn't much out there who's better that would join this club

******* hell, nobody is disputing that his goals return is bad, what were saying is if he takes his easy chances the games will be different, I guarantee if you spoke to SB he would more than likely agree he should be on more goals with the chances he's had.

The defence is an issue but for a completely different thread, just because they have been awful it should not excuse the chances SB has missed and I'm unsure why you would try and use the defence as a justification for this?

Let me be clear here, I like SB, he's hard working and seems a decent level headed bloke, I just think he should be putting away more of the chances he's had.

no there is a 6 page thread because idiots like you bowie and taylor10 are making him a scapegoat like you always do

first it was Johnson then Elliot, fontaine now its baldock its as if city fans want to destroy players simply because they are jealous of them and their ability

Problem with 1 on 1 with Baldock is that he always does the same thing - belt it low and hard and that's why he's missed so many. He never tries to dink the keeper or go around him. Too predictable.

As for his close range heading.........

Yep seems like a plan, hound another good player out of the club, and then we can reflect at leisure how much better we would if he was still here.

manMaynard

Brilliant, you can't criticise no one on this forum without hounding them out of the club and making them a scape goat

No it wasn't, it was your bum chums lack of finishing that cost us. Hence why Baldock has got a 6 page thread where as Flint has 2.

Baldock is average average average.

Are you 5 years old? I mean really? My "bum chum"? 

Get a life mate.

Let's hope we can get some more average players on board to get ~20 league goals

Are you 5 years old? I mean really? My "bum chum"?

Get a life mate.

Let's hope we can get some more average players on board to get ~20 league goals

Corleone

Straight out of the playground. Bumchum giggle giggle snigger snigger. Lets have a fag around the back of the bike sheds.

I do wonder the mentality of some people. Unless of course I am doung him a disservice and he is between 11 and 15 years of age.

Corleone

Straight out of the playground. Bumchum giggle giggle snigger snigger. Lets have a fag around the back of the bike sheds.

I do wonder the mentality of some people. Unless of course I am doung him a disservice and he is between 11 and 15 years of age.

The same guy who said something along the lines of Walcott deserving to have his legs broken for a bit of banter with the crowd.

Enough said methinks.

The same guy who said something along the lines of Walcott deserving to have his legs broken for a bit of banter with the crowd.

Enough said methinks.

Ah right. Says a lot about someones mentality.

no there is a 6 page thread because idiots like you bowie and taylor10 are making him a scapegoat like you always do

first it was Johnson then Elliot, fontaine now its baldock its as if city fans want to destroy players simply because they are jealous of them and their ability

Edit - been a decent thread so far so not rising to you.

At the end of the day, if Baldock stayed away from injury last season he would have got 20+ goals. This season he's getting a lot more chances but for some reason isn't being as clinical goals to chances ratio wise as he was last season, but is still on course for more than 20 goals which I'm sure he'll get. 

Jet is a completely different matter, he can turn it on whenever he wants to, but Baldock has to work hard to score his goals, some of the runs he makes are very clever and on occasions defenders can't get near him. He doesn't have the natural ability of Jet but he works his socks off for the team, which is why him and Jet compliment each other as a strike partnership. 

So for those saying drop Jet or Baldock, be careful what you wish for. We have a strike partnership that is in the top three in this league, and without either of those two starting regularly I think we'll begin to struggle. One thing I would say however is take the armband off Baldock and see what happens. He doesn't strike me as a leader if I'm honest, and maybe it is that extra bit of pressure that is preventing him from scoring the majority of these missed chances.

Also, stop bloody insulting each other and keep this discussion about football. 

Oh, and for what it's worth, according to the stats Baldock has scored 20.6% of his shots this season.

In comparison to the top premier league scorers, Aguero is a wee bit more clinical at 28%, whereas Suarez is 25.9%. Not exactly ground breaking is it. Looks like they both have plenty of efforts that don't result in goals too, the difference is their teams are challenging for the premier league whilst we are languishing at the bottom of division 3. No one would be talking about this if we had conceded fewer and got more points on the board.

Not interested in the Premier League?

How about our own league then. Let's look at those who have scored more than Baldock:

Ryan Lowe - 42%

Britt Assombalonga - 23.2%

Sam Baldock - 20.6%

Leon Clarke - 20%

Nakhi Wells - 19.2%

Callum Wilson - 18.9%

Patrick Bamford - 16.9%

Clayton Donaldson - 16.8%

What does this tell us? Lowe (bit of a freak stat, that one) is well ahead of the trend in terms of clinical finishing, but of the others, only Assombalonga has been more clinical than Baldock this season.

Funnily enough, Patrick Bamford and Nakhi Wells - both mentioned in this thread as prolific strikers and both transferred to a higher league - have been less prolific than Baldock this season.

Don't know about Lowe, does he take penalties, have Tranmere had a lot of them? He's had an incredibly low number of shots compared to others.

Oh, and for what it's worth, according to the stats Baldock has scored 20.6% of his shots this season.

In comparison to the top premier league scorers, Aguero is a wee bit more clinical at 28%, whereas Suarez is 25.9%. Not exactly ground breaking is it. Looks like they both have plenty of efforts that don't result in goals too, the difference is their teams are challenging for the premier league whilst we are languishing at the bottom of division 3. No one would be talking about this if we had conceded fewer and got more points on the board.

Not interested in the Premier League?

How about our own league then. Let's look at those who have scored more than Baldock:

Ryan Lowe - 42%

Britt Assombalonga - 23.2%

Sam Baldock - 20.6%

Leon Clarke - 20%

Nakhi Wells - 19.2%

Callum Wilson - 18.9%

Patrick Bamford - 16.9%

Clayton Donaldson - 16.8%

What does this tell us? Lowe (bit of a freak stat, that one) is well ahead of the trend in terms of clinical finishing, but of the others, only Assombalonga has been more clinical than Baldock this season.

Funnily enough, Patrick Bamford and Nakhi Wells - both mentioned in this thread as prolific strikers and both transferred to a higher league - have been less prolific than Baldock this season.

Oh bugger don't go all factual on peoples asses. That will result in name calling.

Now this 22 one on ones missed. Still waiting for proof from those saying it is so.

Oh bugger don't go all factual on peoples asses. That will result in name calling.

Now this 22 one on ones missed. Still waiting for proof from those saying it is so.

It's just funny isn't it. People jump on the "unclinical" bandwagon, and he's been one of the most clinical in the league.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way, they don't mean anything.

It's just funny isn't it. People jump on the "unclinical" bandwagon, and he's been one of the most clinical in the league.

You surley have seen the same games as me, the ones where SB has missed very easy chances he should have scored??

Indeed. He misses chances, so do many others. But only Bristol City would he be moaned at and called shit. I wonder what Peterborough and Bradford fans were saying abouttheirtop goal scorers? Wells shit drop him assongalonga spl shit drop him.

You surley have seen the same games as me, the ones where SB has missed very easy chances he should have scored??

I don't disagree that he's missed chances that he should have done better at.

But the stats don't lie, he's one of the most clinical finishers in the league in terms of goals to chances.

What that does show is that the other "top strikers" that everyone gushes over - Bamford, Wells, Donaldson etc miss a greater proportion of their attempts than Baldock does.

So do other teams top marksman. You reckon they get the bile and even booing Baldock has got?

To think we sacrificed 1.5 million for him.

Clearly that was a very poor piece of business.

How? He's the joint 7th top scorer in the league, he's only 24.

If we had a good defence we'd fly up the league, he scored 2 yesterday, yes he missed a few but it wasn't his fault we conceded 2.

So do other teams top marksman. You reckon they get the bile and even booing Baldock has got?

Booing? Where have you heard that? I've not heard it at Ashton Gate.

Plenty of "******* hell Baldock" shouts but no booing.

If we had a good defence we'd fly up the league, he scored 2 yesterday, yes he missed a few but it wasn't his fault we conceded 2.

Don't waste your breath, it's like talking to a piece of plywood.

Clearly he has a personal agenda, because the stats have killed his argument dead in the water, yet it continues...

A lot of ironic chants, sarcastic comments around me in the Atyeo

It must make you wonder what goes through his head.

Joint club top scorer in the league, one of the highest (and most clinical) scorers in the division overall - despite playing in a team looking like relegation material for much of the season - and you hear people booing you off?

People talk about a confidence issue...I wonder what the cause of that could be?!

Ui had a look at his goals. There is only 1 game (Coventry) where his goals haven't got us a point or 3. So we can argue that his misses have cost us pounts. But the goals he has scored have helped keep us in contention for a chance of getting out of relegation.

He has set up a fair few as well. I haven't looked at those stats. But goals scored he has got us about 16 points

Yet no champ clubs in for him. says it all.

A true league 1 footballer....wonder how many other clubs in this league spent that kind of money on average league 1 players.

It says that championship clubs spent lots of money on strikers less clinical than the one you hate that plays for the club you allegedly support.

In what way is he average? Seriously, quantify that statement.

He is up amongst the best in the league so far in terms of goals scored and chance conversion.

I wonder how many of our defenders are amongst the top in their bracket for interceptions, key tackles, or our midfielders for assists, pass completion etc?

Yet no champ clubs in for him. says it all.

A true league 1 footballer....wonder how many other clubs in this league spent that kind of money on average league 1 players.

West Ham signed him......

Charlton were in for him when we signed him too.

No club would sign him 6 months after us, same as when we got relegated, they would want to see how he got on in this league. So it's only now, or end of this season they will properly look.

It's been 19 days of the tranfer window opened, how'd you know no championship clubs haven't been in for him?

first it was Johnson then Elliot, fontaine now its baldock its as if city fans want to destroy players simply because they are jealous of them and their ability

Haha you really are simple aren't you? Are you not intelligent enough to realise that people can have a different opinion to you? Or are you unable to debate that without getting touchy over your boyfriend?

Whenever I have expressed my disappointment in Baldock it has been constructive and I am always prepared to offer a reasonable debate. How on earth is that making a scapegoat of him? In that case you are making a scapegoat of Flint are you not?

Why should I not express my opinion because of the forum know it all like you, who actually knows **** all doesn't agree with it? I can have my opinion all day pal. If you don't like it don't come on here. Pretty simple to follow.

For the record as well you cretin, if you want to call me an idiot because I have a difference of opinion to you why don't you meet me for a pint to discuss it rather than snipe over a keyboard?

West Ham signed him......

Charlton were in for him when we signed him too.

No club would sign him 6 months after us, same as when we got relegated, they would want to see how he got on in this league. So it's only now, or end of this season they will properly look.

It's been 19 days of the tranfer window opened, how'd you know no championship clubs haven't been in for him?

He doesn't know that, but it wouldn't fit his hate campaign to say otherwise.

I don't hate Baldock I just think he is very very average.

Despite the stats proving that he is one of the best in the league at what he does?

And as for your nonsense claim that the reason we are in the drop zone is because of his missed chances, and not our leaky defence...allow me to shatter another illusion of yours, if I may.

Preston are 4th, and we score more per game on average than they do.

In fact, only 8 clubs in the league score more per game than we do, on average. However only 6 clubs concede more per game than us, and that's why we are where we are.

Taxi.

I don't hate Baldock I just think he is very very average.

How is being the 7th top scorer, and scoring 1 goal in every 3 games in league one average??

Scored goals for fun for west ham didn't he....o no big sam quickly dropped him and sold him, surprise surprise.

No club would sign him? What like Steve Davies who went to Blackpool?

Taxi.

He scored 1 every 4 games for West Ham, West Ham also quickly shipped out Maynard.

Steve Davies was a proven Championship striker, Baldock isn't as he's only played a handful of games for West Ham, but did do well with us there for 1 season.

Despite Maynard gobbing off Bristolians he is 5 times the player of Baldock.

Shipped out of West Ham and Cardiff really quick, scored less goals at West Ham than Baldock......

How many of these other chances have you seen Bristol86? Did the other players miss several free headers in the 6 yard box, countless one on ones...? It's not factual, it's an ambiguous statistic. Do you know how many of those chances were clear cut? Do you ****.

Open your eyes and see that we have been making more clear cut chances this season than for many years. Partly down to Baldock's very good workrate and movement, it's a shame his finishing in positions of great potential is so shoddy.

How many of these other chances have you seen Bristol86? Did the other players miss several free headers in the 6 yard box, countless one on ones...? It's not factual, it's an ambiguous statistic. Do you know how many of those chances were clear cut? Do you ****.

Open your eyes and see that we have been making more clear cut chances this season than for many years. Partly down to Baldock's very good workrate and movement, it's a shame his finishing in positions of great potential is so shoddy.

I probably know as much as you the composition of the competitors chances, but it doesn't make the statistic any less telling.

Goals conceded is still the number one problem. Revisit the stats I posted on average goals scored vs conceded and how that stacks up to the rest of the league.

I probably know as much as you the composition of the competitors chances, but it doesn't make the statistic any less telling.

Goals conceded is still the number one problem. Revisit the stats I posted on average goals scored vs conceded and how that stacks up to the rest of the league.

Oh it absolutely does. If Clarke is starved for service and shooting through a packed box from 20 yards, would you expect the same quality of finishing than from any of the three golden opportunities unmarked Baldock had yesterday? No.

You're as bad as those putting our league position only at Baldock's door. The defence have to share the culpability but Baldock must too.

Oh it absolutely does. If Clarke is starved for service and shooting through a packed box from 20 yards, would you expect the same quality of finishing than from any of the three golden opportunities unmarked Baldock had yesterday? No.

You're as bad as those putting our league position only at Baldock's door. The defence have to share the culpability but Baldock must too.

Well I have no intention of trawling through hundreds of goal attempts to see it's make up, but after nearly 30 games I would be surprised if the composition of goal attempts isn't reasonably similar enough across all of the candidates to be able to make meaningful comparisons.

I've said all I care to on the subject, so I'll just leave with this from my earlier post:

In fact, only 8 clubs in the league score more per game than we do, on average. However only 6 clubs concede more per game than us, and that's why we are where we are.

If that doesn't make you see that it's the goals against - rather than the goals for - that put us in the drop zone, I don't know what else to say that will make you understand.

Well I have no intention of trawling through hundreds of goal attempts to see it's make up, but after nearly 30 games I would be surprised if the composition of goal attempts isn't reasonably similar enough across all of the candidates to be able to make meaningful comparisons.

I've said all I care to on the subject, so I'll just leave with this from my earlier post:

If that doesn't make you see that it's the goals against - rather than the goals for - that put us in the drop zone, I don't know what else to say that will make you understand.

That doesn't make sense? How can we be in the relegation zone and have 6 teams concede less per game and only have 4 teams score more per game?

Doesn't add up as surely those teams who concede more can't all score more per game, You see my point?

That doesn't make sense? How can we be in the relegation zone and have 6 teams concede less per game and only have 4 teams score more per game?

Doesn't add up as surely those teams who concede more can't all score more per game, You see my point?

None of what you said matches what I wrote, have you been at the cider? :)

They may loose by bigger margins, but win by smaller margins

None of what you said matches what I wrote, have you been at the cider? :)

No just need my glasses ;)

Tins has cleared it up for me, I got confused by what you meant, Thinking that if we Score more per game than the teams around us and presumably concede less per game than a few around us how are we in the relegation zone

I think that is a key point, though and one that a lot of Baldock's detractors are missing.

Yes, he misses a lot of chances but much of the reason he scores a lot is because he makes himself available for chances in a way many strikers struggle with.  Maynard was a great player of us when on form and a more clinical finisher than Baldock but I don't think he was great at getting himself inside the box and available for the ball and I don't think we'd be creating anywhere near as many chances if we still had Maynard in the side as we do with Baldock.  I suspect the number of goals Maynard would get would still be similar as he'd put more of the chances he did get away but I don't reckon Maynard would be out of sight by now on number of goals scored simply because I don't think Maynard would have had anywhere near as many opportunities.

Archived