IGNORED

Baldock

Guest NailseaRedTwo

top work Poirot

What a kind response to a newbie starting their first topic. I'm sure that NailseaRedTwo and other newbies will think twice before bothering to start topics if that's the welcome they receive. Perhaps they could be spared sarcasm from the off?

Keep posting NailseaRedTwo

What a kind response to a newbie starting their first topic. I'm sure that NailseaRedTwo and other newbies will think twice before bothering to start topics if that's the welcome they receive. Perhaps they could be spared sarcasm from the off?

Keep posting NailseaRedTwo

My sincere apologies old chap - maybe NailseaRedTwo could expand on his original message to get a debate started? Not much to work with...!

Guest ateyomike

and tbh he's not been getting the service that he deserves have we been lucky to keep on to him since we gone down I think he is as disappointed as any of us

First name on the team sheet for me. Has proved he can cut it. Hard working and despite what many fans think, is definate captain material. He's well respected within the squad, intelligent compared to many and he wouldn't be second top scorer in the league without the ability to be a goalscorer. Do not care about the one on ones as that has been and gone. He is one person we need to keep hold of as he will go on to bigger and better things be it with is or someone else

I don't think anyone can have any complaint with the effort Sam puts in. Sometimes his finishing has been a bit short and I have been critical of this but overall I think he has been the most consistant player of the season so far.

Keep up the hard work Sammy.

edit: atrotious spellin.

The only three players to score more league goals for us in a season in the last ten years were Brooker, Lita and Maynard and he's on track to beat two of those.

Still, not good enough for some!

And yet apparently he has only scored a third of the chances he 'should'.

Considering he'd be on 30+ goals right now with near a quarter of the season to go if that was really the case (something I've not seen a player do in years), me thinks some people have been watching too much Premier League and/or playing too much FiFA.

And yet apparently he has only scored a third of the chances he 'should'.

Considering he'd be on 30+ goals right now with near a quarter of the season to go if that was really the case (something I've not seen a player do in years), me thinks some people have been watching too much Premier League and/or playing too much FiFA.

So burying 4 one on ones in about 37 is a good return? The sitters at MK dons home and away spring to mind as well

Yes he's scored loads but he could easily of scored a tone more with simple chances

So burying 4 one on ones in about 37 is a good return? The sitters at MK dons home and away spring to mind as well

Yes he's scored loads but he could easily of scored a tone more with simple chances

The more you run into dangerous positions, the more "one-on-ones" you get. The fact is he buries enough to be the league number 2 hotshot, which is good enough for me.

Some of the "sure-fire" chances some people think he's fluffed have come when he's clearly off balance, having sprinted to try to get on the end of a ball that most wouldn't have a hope of meeting.

The more you run into dangerous positions, the more "one-on-ones" you get. The fact is he buries enough to be the league number 2 hotshot, which is good enough for me.

Some of the "sure-fire" chances some people think he's fluffed have come when he's clearly off balance, having sprinted to try to get on the end of a ball that most wouldn't have a hope of meeting.

The point is he could be clear at the top if he had more skill/composure in front of goal

The Header v MK home? Off Balance or running on?

The sitter last minute away to MK?

The point is he could be clear at the top if he had more skill/composure in front of goal

The Header v MK home? Off Balance or running on?

The sitter last minute away to MK?

I didn't say he was off balance ALL the time YDTD!

But you've got to be happy with what we've got. If he was able to convert every chance he'd be at a PL club and playing for England.

I didn't say he was off balance ALL the time YDTD!

But you've got to be happy with what we've got. If he was able to convert every chance he'd be at a PL club and playing for England.

You never been in an OTIB debate before? You said something and that has to apply for everything!! Not picking and choosing ;)

Yes I am happy with the goals he's scored only an idiot wouldn't be

I just feel with some of the chances he's had an extra 5 goals would really show his quality at this level

I think even he would say there have been times he been frustrated not to knock in a couple more. In both MK games he missed some, and scored two. There was a Tranmere miss last Saturday not far off the header Sammy missed from a couple of yards out arriving at the far post. It happens.

I have my own pet theory on this, Because so many of our games have been close, we (over)analyse a few key moments - misses or mistakes. If we had drawn at Orient I suspect we would be talking about Moores effort on their first a lot more. However, the fact we won means we are more forgiving of those. Maybe quite rightly.

If we had won both MK games 2-0 we would be talking about his good finishes, and how many chances he got on the end of.

I worry when we have strikers seemingly playing the whole game not getting a sniff. With a few exceptions, he has avoided that, and also got his fair share of genuine assists.

If we go down, I do feel it will have been inspite of him, not because of him.

Last time I ran the stats Suarez, Sturridge and Baldock had roughly similar goals to attempts ratios.

People seem to think any good striker buries all their clear chances but even the very best don't.

Messi stabbed wide last night when it was easier to score.

If Baldock had put away all the chances that the experts on here say he 'should have' if he was a decent striker, he'd be on about 47.

I have the same debate about Akinbiyi.

I personally think that was average at best and his career wod bear that out. My friends remind about our relegation season and what a feat it was to score those goals , yet having seen all home games that year and a lot of away, I maintain that a good striker would gave scored 10 more at least given the service and chances. Rather lime the season, we had some good player s going fkrward and sadly it was our defence and the way we shipped goals that let us down.

For what its worth I think we will stay up and Baldock will be top goal scorer next year.

I have the same debate about Akinbiyi.

I personally think that was average at best and his career wod bear that out. My friends remind about our relegation season and what a feat it was to score those goals , yet having seen all home games that year and a lot of away, I maintain that a good striker would gave scored 10 more at least given the service and chances. Rather lime the season, we had some good player s going fkrward and sadly it was our defence and the way we shipped goals that let us down.

For what its worth I think we will stay up and Baldock will be top goal scorer next year.

I loved Akinbiyi during his time here. Absolute machine!

I loved Akinbiyi during his time here. Absolute machine!

He would have been good at Leicester too, but the idiots decided to sell Guppy as soon as the signed him.  What did Ade like best, the ball swung into him, or in front of him, who was the best at doing that in the prem after Beckham at the time... Guppy.  The manager needed his head bloody reading.  I swear Ade would have banged in a lot more goals there if he had had Steve Guppy supplying him.

Here here! Welcome NailseaRedTwo and ignore the snide comments from those with longer posting history, who think they are superior. You know the type, not only do they think they own the forum, but they probably think they own the coach on away trips and the seat in their local.

As for Sammy, there are some on here who think he's useless. Seventeen goals says he's not.

oh no-not the coach again??...think Baldock will truly flourish alongside a bona-fide centre forward,you know,a proper one. 

Yep. We've been propping up the league all season, and Baldock has scored one less than the league's top scorer.

He's also incredibly poor at finishing and should be moved on.

Welcome to OTIB :yes:

Absolutely 86. 

Move Baldock on, along with that other waste of space JET, bring in a couple of decent goal scorers and we would soon move up the table and to safety.

:whistle:  ;)

As you say, welcome to OTIB - the home of the rightful Bristol City manager.

I think the important thing to remember when judging Baldock is that he is still relatively young at 24 years old. He is a striker that will be entering his prime period soon and he still has his best years ahead of him in my opinion. I think if he continues to turn out for us there is a strong possibility that he could score a lot of goals over the next few years and go down in Bristol City folklore as one of our best ever strikers!! As it stands his goals per game record is better than Maynard and just behind Thorpe.

1 year left on his deal. Clubs will now be in for him.

Can we afford to keep him on? No doubt his best mate Karl Robinson, will be spaffing himself silly

This is one of the biggest problems with how disappointing this season has been, and one of the damaging aspects of the rapid turnaround in management over the last several seasons, not just this.  

Any player who has shown any promise and might be useful once we've stabilised (ideally in this division...) will not be keen on signing on for any more time, as who is to say they'll be guaranteed games or a place in the squad, if the current gaffer gets the chop?

JET, Baldock, Pack and even Moloney are players who when the summer hits and they've just a year left on their deal I could see us getting interest in.  And unless we accelerate away from the bottom half of the table, it isn't just Championship teams that might come in for them.

He would have been good at Leicester too, but the idiots decided to sell Guppy as soon as the signed him. What did Ade like best, the ball swung into him, or in front of him, who was the best at doing that in the prem after Beckham at the time... Guppy. The manager needed his head bloody reading. I swear Ade would have banged in a lot more goals there if he had had Steve Guppy supplying him.

Completely agree TRL.

I felt as if though Ade was very harshly treated during his time at Leicester. Selling Guppy was just plain stupid. Especially when a team like Leicester wouldn't have had the resources to get in someone better. There is absolutely no doubt Akinbiyi would have benefited from Guppy staying at the club.

Akinbiyi was the victim of a high transfer fee which unfortunately totally masked the fact that other strikers, such as Dean Sturridge and Trevor Benjamin got away with contributing absolutely nothing.

Completely agree TRL.

I felt as if though Ade was very harshly treated during his time at Leicester. Selling Guppy was just plain stupid. Especially when a team like Leicester wouldn't have had the resources to get in someone better. There is absolutely no doubt Akinbiyi would have benefited from Guppy staying at the club.

Akinbiyi was the victim of a high transfer fee which unfortunately totally masked the fact that other strikers, such as Dean Sturridge and Trevor Benjamin got away with contributing absolutely nothing.

'Trevor Benjamin', bloody hell; I remember him (just)!  

Was meant to be the next Emile Heskey; not sure that worked out...

Ade Akinbyi was a great player; could do with his type of forward right now.

'Trevor Benjamin', bloody hell; I remember him (just)!

Was meant to be the next Emile Heskey; not sure that worked out...

Ade Akinbyi was a great player; could do with his type of forward right now.

Benjamin was very poor.

Akinbiyi was quality and could definitely do with that type right now.

Benjamin was very poor.

Akinbiyi was quality and could definitely do with that type right now.

I remember how unbelievably ponderous he was for a 'well-known' footballer at the time; could never believe how bad he looked on MotD.

And Akinbiyi was a nightmare for opposition players; mobile (though not really fast), strong and (at least while at Gillingham, us and Wolves) incredibly sharp in front of goal for a 'big man'.

Other than Steve Brooker, we've not had a similar forward to his type for quite some time.

I remember how unbelievably ponderous he was for a 'well-known' footballer at the time; could never believe how bad he looked on MotD.

And Akinbiyi was a nightmare for opposition players; mobile (though not really fast), strong and (at least while at Gillingham, us and Wolves) incredibly sharp in front of goal for a 'big man'.

Other than Steve Brooker, we've not had a similar forward to his type for quite some time.

Agreed.

Ade wasn't lightening quick but he was a very powerful and mobile runner. I miss the likes of Akinbiyi and Brooker.

I feel your being harsh on baldock here, yes the arguments been had many times about the 1 on 1s he missed, but you have to take into account that his movement helps create all those chances and another striker may not/won't create as many. Also he's the 2nd top scorer in the division, if that's 'distinctly average' then I would like a whole team of average players at city, because the league table is currently showing us to be below average in league 1

I'm also sure I saw on another thread that some had the conversion ration of shots to goals of baldock and suarez and that they were very similar, if that really is the case then there's not really anything to complain about is there?

I was being sarcastic, in light of the delightful irony of one of his biggest critics claiming that he'll be off soon.

Archived