IGNORED

Our Manager

Super

What a job he has done. We are now seeing a team full of confidence with some great attacking football. It really could of been double figures tonight. Not seen much of the hoofball in fact we saw much more under SOD. Fair play to him.

Still waiting for those who claimed our previous boss was the tactical genius just about to turn it around, admitting it might just be that we have someone better in charge of us now....

Still waiting for those who claimed our previous boss was the tactical genius just about to turn it around, admitting it might just be that we have someone better in charge of us now....

I will put my hand up to that, was just saying tonight that when SC came in i was not happy at all. but fair play i was wrong...

Already looking forward to next season and a full term of SC

Guest Norwegian Red

Christmas or this time next year maybe a more reasonable point to consider this?

Delighted with tonights result.

Getting to the age where I try and keep bad defeats and good wins in perspective. He is starting to put a nice run together, and that is the most pleasing thing for me. Lets take the long view and not get all suicidal if we get toasted on Saturday!

The next two games might spoil this, but that must be, or close to, play off form now?

Last 6 matches (overall)

P W D L GF GA Dif Pts 1 Rotherham 6 4 2 0 13 1 +12 14 2 Bristol City 6 4 2 0 14 6 +8 14 3 Wolverhampton 6 4 1 1 14 5 +9 13 4 Brentford 6 4 1 1 8 4 +4 13 5 Sheffield Utd 6 4 1 1 6 2 +4 13

Last 10 matches (overall)

P W D L GF GA Dif Pts 1 Wolverhampton 10 8 1 1 24 5 +19 25 2 Sheffield Utd 10 8 1 1 13 2 +11 25 3 Rotherham 10 7 3 0 22 7 +15 24 4 Brentford 10 6 2 2 15 10 +5 20 5 Bristol City 10 5 4 1 20 13 +7 19

it will be a cold day in hell before that happens...cotterill will destroy this club we were told, and hope we are all enjoying cotterillball.

Has a bit of an ego based on post match interview where he says 'I couldn't have have done it without chairman, etc'

Not sure that's such a bad thing.

GJ had a bit of an ego too

It's been done to death mate,let sleeping dogs lie for we'll never know .

We can just say "Thank you and well done " to SC and to the board for loosening the purse strings to bring in some quality .

It's been done to death mate,let sleeping dogs lie for we'll never know .

We can just say "Thank you and well done " to SC and to the board for loosening the purse strings to bring in some quality .

purse strings were already loose SoD just didn't use it effectivly,

I for one am enjoying the hoofball on show at the moment :)

to be honest it reminds me of when Johnson came in, and if he can recreate what he acheved great,

the summers going to be intresting, he's putting the foundations in place just needs to keep us up (very likely now) and push on

purse strings were already loose SoD just didn't use it effectivly,

Fielding and JET were SOD signings so that is a bit harsh given how important they have been to our recent form.

The SC signings that have made the biggest difference IMHO have been Noseworthy who has added much needed experience and assurance at the back and Patterson who has provided threat and shape at the front. They're both loan signings so fingers crossed we can keep them next season. El Bad looks like a mistake but it's early to judge.

The big difference SC has made has been passion and aggression - he seems to have really shaken that "couldn't give a toss" attitude out of the players.

I was surprised and slightly disappointed when he came in, mainly because the timing was strange (SOD seemed to be turning things around and we were on an unbeaten run) but I always said I would judge him on results. He is doing an excellent job it seems. Whether he is the man for the long term I don't know. Fingers crossed he carries on in the same vein...

Sat behind him in Williams. Nice to see someone with aggression and passion and the players clearly responded well to him.

If you're putting any success at the door of shouting from the sidelines I think you do SC a massive disservice, added to the fact people assume for no reason that it improves your quality of management.

If you're putting any success at the door of shouting from the sidelines I think you do SC a massive disservice, added to the fact people assume for no reason that it improves your quality of management.

I imagine the players got the hair dryer treatment after the Sheffield Utd debacle and that was the big turning point. I think that passion and aggression has been critical wherever it's been applied.

I imagine the players got the hair dryer treatment after the Sheffield Utd debacle and that was the big turning point. I think that passion and aggression has been critical wherever it's been applied.

Every manager we've had has given them a bollocking at some point, SOD did it at half time up at Carlisle and it worked. His downfall wasn't not shouting from the touch line, though.

Fielding and JET were SOD signings so that is a bit harsh given how important they have been to our recent form.

The SC signings that have made the biggest difference IMHO have been Noseworthy who has added much needed experience and assurance at the back and Patterson who has provided threat and shape at the front. They're both loan signings so fingers crossed we can keep them next season. El Bad looks like a mistake but it's early to judge.

The big difference SC has made has been passion and aggression - he seems to have really shaken that "couldn't give a toss" attitude out of the players.

I wasn't suggesting all of SoD's signings were bad, what I meant was he added lots of youth and little experiance that with negitive tactics is what saw us in the slump we found ourselves in,

SC came in and indentified (very quickly to his credit) what was wrong with the squad and set about sorting it out, its no coincedence that our fortunes begain to rise when he added experiance to a young all be it talented squad,

He added two strikers for compatiotion he added experiance at the back and he added a holding and creative midfielder,

the only thing he hasn't done is get the best out of JeT on a consistant basis, JeT is a lazy player no doubting that and you have to put up with his preceved lack of effort because he can win a game on his own, always the same for flair players Jacki was the same as was Noble and Trundle,

Well it's one of those things where you just can't be certain. An upturn in form in the second half of the season may have happened under any manager as the players grew accustomed to each other, learnt from their mistakes and gained in confidence. There's simply no way to say that wouldn't have happened under O'Driscoll, only that it was showing very few signs of doing so.

The short term is definitely looking up with Cotterill in charge. As I've said before it doesn't have to be at the expense of the long term but I think the O'Driscoll supporters fear it might be. On the whole City fans seem to prefer short term success over long term, which is understandable as the long term cannot be forseen. Nevertheless, we preferred Danny Wilson to Tony Pulis, even though Pulis has gone on to be a successful Premier League manager and Wilson has rattled ineffectually around the lower leagues. We don't know that Pulis would have brought success, and the signs at City were of quite the opposite, but he's certainly managed to be a success elsewhere.

The point I am making, in a roundabout sort of way, is that there's a fear we're selling the possibility of greater long term success along the lines of Southampton or Swansea in exchange for another Gary Johnson style adventure lasting a few years. Personally, I don't think it has to be a case of either-or and that the short term is always important, but I think that's where people are coming from, rather than any particular reverence for O'Driscoll.

Well it's one of those things where you just can't be certain. An upturn in form in the second half of the season may have happened under any manager as the players grew accustomed to each other, learnt from their mistakes and gained in confidence. There's simply no way to say that wouldn't have happened under O'Driscoll, only that it was showing very few signs of doing so.

The short term is definitely looking up with Cotterill in charge. As I've said before it doesn't have to be at the expense of the long term but I think the O'Driscoll supporters fear it might be. On the whole City fans seem to prefer short term success over long term, which is understandable as the long term cannot be forseen. Nevertheless, we preferred Danny Wilson to Tony Pulis, even though Pulis has gone on to be a successful Premier League manager and Wilson has rattled ineffectually around the lower leagues. We don't know that Pulis would have brought success, and the signs at City were of quite the opposite, but he's certainly managed to be a success elsewhere.

The point I am making, in a roundabout sort of way, is that there's a fear we're selling the possibility of greater long term success along the lines of Southampton or Swansea in exchange for another Gary Johnson style adventure lasting a few years. Personally, I don't think it has to be a case of either-or and that the short term is always important, but I think that's where people are coming from, rather than any particular reverence for O'Driscoll.

Very well put there sir!

That was why I was gutted when SC was appointed.  I like everybody else was massively disappointed with SO'D's time here, not just because of the results and dire performances, but because it shattered the dream of the club having a new beginning and ground-up rebuild.  I viewed the appointment of SC as the complete opposite to that and was certainly critical of the club for apparently going back on everything in a single appointment.

I'm more than happy to say that thanks to SC, I actually look forward to football again.  What a great feeling to be jumping up and down off the seat as we actually witness exciting, attacking football at last, as I'd forgotten how entertaining football could actually be.  I really don't know how much more of the glued to the seat, boring dross I could have taken under SO'D tbh

Things may look very different in a few months time, but as it stands it appears that, contrary to the views of the vast majority of our fans, Steve Cotterill's appointment may just have been a masterstroke.  Let's hope this is one of those occasions where a manager turns out to be a perfect fit for the club.

We can't get carried away, as we had these false dawns before, when first Keith Millen and then Derek McInness saved us from relegation, only to follow that up with dire relegation struggles the next season.  

Barring a massive loss of form now, we should now be a League 1 side again next season and that was looking very unlikely a few months ago.  That will do for me and I'm more than happy to say on here that I eat my words and the appointment of SC was what we needed at that time.  If it hadn't happened, my gut feeling is we'd be a League 2 team next season. 

While you can't be certain, coming into BCFC and working with someone else's team is a job I don't think Cotterill has been given much credit for; because we had found some average form in the last days of SOD he was almost expected to just keep it up. He adapted to O'Driscoll's team a lot quicker than SOD did himself.

It's not that easy, SC obviously wanted a slightly different style of play and he's got the players buying into it well. We've looked so potent since he's been here and if you want a comparison, look at Rotherham in November to Port Vale last night. The pace of play is generally very good and I think it's only one or two games we've not scored in during that whole period. I was more than sceptical about SC's appointment and I still think his quotes are a bit cringeworthy at times, but it's a lot more endearing when you're getting the results he is.

At the time SOD left I think anyone who said we would be in with a decent shout of a top-half finish with seven games to go would have had their hand bitten off, it speaks volumes.

While you can't be certain, coming into BCFC and working with someone else's team is a job I don't think Cotterill has been given much credit for; because we had found some average form in the last days of SOD he was almost expected to just keep it up. He adapted to O'Driscoll's team a lot quicker than SOD did himself.

It's not that easy, SC obviously wanted a slightly different style of play and he's got the players buying into it well. We've looked so potent since he's been here and if you want a comparison, look at Rotherham in November to Port Vale last night. The pace of play is generally very good and I think it's only one or two games we've not scored in during that whole period. I was more than sceptical about SC's appointment and I still think his quotes are a bit cringeworthy at times, but it's a lot more endearing when you're getting the results he is.

At the time SOD left I think anyone who said we would be in with a decent shout of a top-half finish with seven games to go would have had their hand bitten off, it speaks volumes.

I think he's been given a lot of credit! Reluctantly from some but credit nonetheless

I think he's been given a lot of credit! Reluctantly from some but credit nonetheless

Generally he has, but because SOD could have theoretically masterminded a turnaround it's seem as less of an achievement in some quarters, despite the challenge of coming into a new team and inheriting someone else's players.

Must be really painful to see SC do so well, whilst SOD sits waiting for that coaching job call from Arsenal and Liverpool, who admire him so much.

On the contrary, I'm as pleased as the next person to see our upturn in performance, but that is not the point I was making. The only word you missed at the end of your post was 'fact'.

I was surprised and slightly disappointed when he came in, mainly because the timing was strange (SOD seemed to be turning things around and we were on an unbeaten run) but I always said I would judge him on results. He is doing an excellent job it seems. Whether he is the man for the long term I don't know. Fingers crossed he carries on in the same vein...

Of 1 game?  :thumbsup:

This is why we should stop all these boring and divisive threads and say SOD tried his best,it did n't work out and now Cotts is here and it is much better results wise.

Thanks to them both .

Much more than just results wise ATB, the football is far more entertaining under Cotterill, and it's actually enjoyable to attend AG again.

Everything - results, style of football, atmosphere in the ground - was bloody awful and depressing under SO'D.

If you insist on thanking SO'D it's very clear you didn't get over much from France to watch his team while he was in charge.

Much more than just results wise ATB, the football is far more entertaining under Cotterill, and it's actually enjoyable to attend AG again.

Everything - results, style of football, atmosphere in the ground - was bloody awful and depressing under SO'D.

If you insist on thanking SO'D it's very clear you didn't get over much from France to watch his team while he was in charge.

3 games aside (Wolves, Brentford Sheff Utd) we've looked like taking somthing I didn't think this under the previous emcombant infact I haven't felt that since Johnson was here,

SC will fail at some point and people will crawl out of the woodwork to say I told you so, just look at Robbo and Johnson it took 5 years for him to be proven right, I'm hoping it will take longer then 5 years for others to be proven right about SC

3 games aside (Wolves, Brentford Sheff Utd) we've looked like taking somthing I didn't think this under the previous emcombant infact I haven't felt that since Johnson was here,

SC will fail at some point and people will crawl out of the woodwork to say I told you so, just look at Robbo and Johnson it took 5 years for him to be proven right, I'm hoping it will take longer then 5 years for others to be proven right about SC

Absolutely correct, but I will add a rider and that is when that decline begins the board need to recognise it and act before allowing the influx of overpaid wasters on long contracts, when the manager goes into panic mode, which is actually where most of our woes of the past 5 years actually stem from and every manager from GJ up to SC has fallen into that trap and added to the problem.

Of course you are right,.SOD failed ,that is clear ,he's no longer at the club.

However ,we don't know all the ins and outs and we certainly can't compare then with now.There are no constants.

I think SOD was the right man at the wrong time ,a bad fit sadly and for that i blame the board.We must give credit to all who have been before because it is through their efforts,victories and defeats that make us where we are now .

So yes "Thank you " to our ex-coach and "thank you " to all the current guardians of our club .

However ,we don't know all the ins and outs and we certainly can't compare then with now.There are no constants.

I think SOD was the right man at the wrong time ,a bad fit sadly and for that i blame the board.We must give credit to all who have been before because it is through their efforts,victories and defeats that make us where we are now .

So yes "Thank you " to our ex-coach and "thank you " to all the current guardians of our club .

I'm confused, should we give credit to Steve Coppell???

i'm confused as well, if SOD was the right man at the wrong time and you believe the board should have recognised that, who was the right man in your opinion SC per chance?

I'm confused, should we give credit to Steve Coppell???

90% of the credit has to go to SC he's got under achieveing players on the path for a second relegation finally believing in theirselfs and their ability,

SoD couldn't man manage a good coach but not a manager

SC can man manager and he's more tactically aware then SoD, Sod had a plan A thats it, SC adapts to a devloping situation and comes out and explains things to the fans instead of treating us like idiots,

he's rightly staking plaudits for the quick turn around in fortunes at this club

Its whether he can do it next season is the question that needs to be answered

90% of the credit has to go to SC he's got under achieveing players on the path for a second relegation finally believing in theirselfs and their ability,

SoD couldn't man manage a good coach but not a manager

SC can man manager and he's more tactically aware then SoD, Sod had a plan A thats it, SC adapts to a devloping situation and comes out and explains things to the fans instead of treating us like idiots,

he's rightly staking plaudits for the quick turn around in fortunes at this club

Its whether he can do it next season is the question that needs to be answered

Errr I suggest you read my post more slowly

Christmas or this time next year maybe a more reasonable point to consider this?

He's done a fantastic job over the last month. Long may it continue.

There's still a few of the SOD fan club there....struggling to admit they were wrong.

I cannot recall someone with such a poor record as manager of our club being held in such high regard by some...baffling!

Cotts deserves huge credit for the turnaround.

i'm confused as well, if SOD was the right man at the wrong time and you believe the board should have recognised that, who was the right man in your opinion SC per chance?

i think that the board hired SOD on his coaching abilities and overlooked his personality which clearly clashed with Steve Lansdown's ,amongst others.

This made it difficult for SOD and Lansdown to work together and the rest of course is history.

If you don't fail then you have n't tried something worthwhile .

I think in theory, from afarSO'D could have been seen as the right man. Now, after experience of employing him, we know for sure that in practice he could never be the right man.

Far too negative, both in personality and tactics, forever talking up the opposition, incapable of forming a rapport with the majority of fans, sidelining and discouraging our most talented young player to the extent he was considering his future at the club, stubbornly unbending in his failing ways despite atrocious results, killing the enthusiasm of even the most diehard supporters.

Not one thing about O'Driscoll was a good fit BCFC, or augured well for the future.

There would never have been a good time to employ him, his time at the club was nothing short of a complete disaster, and we can only be grateful the club made the decision to put us all out of our misery and sack him when they did.

It's not a case of right man, wrong time, like Del imo, it was simply a case of the wrong man, full stop.

Guest Bedminster Born And Red

Absolutely correct, but I will add a rider and that is when that decline begins the board need to recognise it and act before allowing the influx of overpaid wasters on long contracts, when the manager goes into panic mode, which is actually where most of our woes of the past 5 years actually stem from and every manager from GJ up to SC has fallen into that trap and added to the problem.

The Board need to have a word with Cotterill the moment we are mathematically safe and get him to focus on pre-season (although I'm sure he is fully aware of that himself to be fair). That sets the tone for the next season and our pre-seasons have been woeful in recent years in terms of recruitment, fitness and performances. Get that right and we might start to make an impression. And might see us avoid a scenario where we see a bunch of failed loan signings at the club. Lets get the players we need signed on, integrated into the Managers ways and use loans to add quality where it's needed not plug numerous gaps that always appear.

i think that the board hired SOD on his coaching abilities and overlooked his personality which clearly clashed with Steve Lansdown's ,amongst others.

This made it difficult for SOD and Lansdown to work together and the rest of course is history.

If you don't fail then you have n't tried something worthwhile .

Not forgetting most of the fan base, apart of course those of you who were the ones who saw the emperors new clothes.

But in case you have forgotten anybody.

This is why we should stop all these boring and divisive threads and say SOD tried his best,it did n't work out and now Cotts is here and it is much better results wise.

Thanks to them both .

Yes thanks for taking us down without a fight and the 2 wins from 18 this season.

No I don't thank him. He made us a complete laughing stock.

Of course you shouldn't thank SOD for the things he DID get right. That would involve the hideous effort of thinking, and that would never do...

In fairness, the club seem to be much improved on this. I think Millen was the last one to get away with signing crap players on massive wages ie Kilkenny. El Bad the only recent bollock that has been dropped that I can think of. Fielding was looking like one until recently.

Archived