IGNORED

Piierluigi Collina

Super

Brilliant programme on SKY last night being repeated now on the art of refereeing. Well worth a watch. You can see why he was one of the best refs and a class above the jokers on show these days.

I certainly rated him as one of the best refs I have seen.  Whenever I watched a game he was refereeing, I knew it would be a well refereed fair game.  He certainly seems to be able to spot the dives and play acting and will not stand for it.

He also seems to allow play to continue when appropriate too rather than blowing up for every physical challenge that is no more than a fair tackle.

Yes, he is human and makes mistakes - with everything happening on a football field and god knows how many players trying to con him, that's always going to happen occasionally - but he gets it right more times than most.

• Admin

His own biggest fan though, don't think Everton fans rate him much

Was going to say that a mate of mine absolutely detests Colina.

Great referee but towards the end of his career it seemed the game was more about him than the two sides playing.

To me the best referees are the ones you don't notice

He was brilliant. Probably get demoted to non-league or something knowing UEFA these days, they have no backbone when it comes to simulation and stamping out cheating, timewasting and general unsportsmanlike play.

Got compulsorily retired due to age, although seem to remember most involved in football wanted the age limit extended so he could continue.

His own biggest fan though, don't think Everton fans rate him much

He maybe, but he could do the job, remember Uriah Rennie, he had a good couple of seasons, an it went to his head, and he turned into a big headed **** and his performances got worse, Collina, rarely had a bad game, and he really could control the prima donnas.Awesome Ref in a era of divers and cheats.  We will be lucky to se ea ref of his type again any time soon.

Archived