IGNORED

How Good Is It To Read This.

Super

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/m-committed-making-great-entertainers-says/story-23037537-detail/story.html

"We are going to be open, we are going to be expansive and we are going to attack," said Cotterill, whose in-form side have netted three goals in each of their last four outings.

"That is the DNA of our team and that is what I want Bristol City to be known for.

"We could be compact and kick it long, but the one thing I want to do is play good football.

its nice to watch, but we do need to learn to shut up shop as well, after giving away 2 goal leads in our last 2 games,

Still lets enjoy it while we can :)

I'm never sure about this idea of "shutting up shop".

If we have a 2 goal lead , especially if we haven't conceded, perhaps it might be a better form of defence to keep doing what we had been doing to get in that position.

Too many of our recent managers seemed top concentrate more on countering the opposition than playing to our strengths. Cotterill does seem to use tactics designed to get the best out of our players,  and given our current form I suspect most opposition teams are setting up to counter our strengths. If so, then perhaps it might work to keep presenting those problems for the whole 90 minutes and we might see 2 goal leads becoming 3 or 4 and much easier to hold on to.

If we have a 2 goal lead , especially if we haven't conceded, perhaps it might be a better form of defence to keep doing what we had been doing to get in that position.

Too many of our recent managers seemed top concentrate more on countering the opposition than playing to our strengths. Cotterill does seem to use tactics designed to get the best out of our players,  and given our current form I suspect most opposition teams are setting up to counter our strengths. If so, then perhaps it might work to keep presenting those problems for the whole 90 minutes and we might see 2 goal leads becoming 3 or 4 and much easier to hold on to.

Agree. I always look at it that you have done something right to be 2 goals ahead why change it.

Too many of our recent managers seemed top concentrate more on countering the opposition than playing to our strengths. Cotterill does seem to use tactics designed to get the best out of our players, and given our current form I suspect most opposition teams are setting up to counter our strengths. If so, then perhaps it might work to keep presenting those problems for the whole 90 minutes and we might see 2 goal leads becoming 3 or 4 and much easier to hold on to.

Attack, as has been noted many times before, is the best form of defence.

If the ball's in your opponent's half you won't have to worry about conceding any goals.

Attack, attack, attack and the defence will look after itself. The fans love goals, the players love goals, so go for it and let the opposition worry about how they will get into the game rather than us inviting them in.

We've been too soft in the past, now we seem to have determination, belief and confidence without being a hard or dirty team. Firm but fair, and the best football I've seen in ages over the past few games.

Agree. I always look at it that you have done something right to be 2 goals ahead why change it.

I don't think it's as black and white as that, or something that can necessarily be decided beforehand. The mentality which you into that two goal lead has changed, as it has for the opposition. Suddenly they need to force the issue, and it might no longer be possible for us to attack as we had been able to previously.

Of course managers do their homework/research, and equip players with basic knowledge and instruction for hypothetical scenarios, but these aren't always executable in real time.

If we try to protect a lead and fail, we all say should've kept attacking. If we keep attacking and fail, we all say should have shut up shop.

The manager has to respond to the dynamics of the game as it's happening, and make the decisions which take into account many factors. That's where really earns his crust imo.

its nice to watch, but we do need to learn to shut up shop as well, after giving away 2 goal leads in our last 2 games,

Shutting up shop is exactly what Johnson did and look how many times City dropped points through a late equaliser or winner.

Is hate to see Cotterill doing that.

Attack, as has been noted many times before, is the best form of defence.

If the ball's in your opponent's half you won't have to worry about conceding any goals.

Just as long as nobody tries to back pass it to Frankie  :doh:

Shutting up shop is exactly what Johnson did and look how many times City dropped points through a late equaliser or winner.

play-off final.....promotion Yea I'd try and emulate Johnsons sucess here

play-off final.....promotion Yea I'd try and emulate Johnsons sucess here

Like you I'd like Cotterill to 'emulate' what Johnson did but with two different elements, 1) playing attacking and attractive football. 2) actually winning automatic promotion.

Personally I can do without the pray-offs.

Like you I'd like Cotterill to 'emulate' what Johnson did but with two different elements, 1) playing attacking and attractive football. 2) actually winning automatic promotion.

Personally I can do without the pray-offs.

How did beating Rotherham 3-1 to finish second not win us automatic promotion Mr Robborred?

Broken record. It's getting to be like having an annoying yappy dog in the room

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/m-committed-making-great-entertainers-says/story-23037537-detail/story.html

"We are going to be open, we are going to be expansive and we are going to attack," said Cotterill, whose in-form side have netted three goals in each of their last four outings.

"That is the DNA of our team and that is what I want Bristol City to be known for.

"We could be compact and kick it long, but the one thing I want to do is play good football.

More good bluffing from SC :)

Surprised some of our fans have bought it as well tho!

I think we are at our best when playing offensive.

Lets play to our strengths.

Keep looking to score.

When we've sat back we've conceded.

Would rather be two up and concede two looking to score a third, than be two up and concede two sitting back.

Keep the ball...keep in in their half...press high...

Never understood letting teams come at you...

It's annoying me that all of a sudden our defence is 'suspect'?  We conceeded 4 goals in the first 8 games..hardly score more than the opposition.

We tried to shut up shop in the first 10 mins of the second half against MK, didn't work! Just attack and win by 8!

Its not like you to bring any topic discussion back to your pal Johnson is it?  

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/123167-supporters-club-v-gary-johnson/

He's right though. Pity because GJs City side could play good attacking football. If we were 2-0 down we use to play like a different team - remember the fightback at Cheltenham, the snowy game at home to Wolves and we nearly pulled it off at home to Brum and that fateful game away to Stoke. Wasn't just Johnson though - Millen and McInnes were the same. 

Archived