IGNORED

Comparisons With A Team Of The Past.

Port Said Red

Now I don't want to get carried away or overstate this, but I am seeing comparisons between this team and the most successful post war side, the 70's team that reached the 1st division.

That team was very young, even younger than the current side, with an average of 21. The average age of this team is dragged up by Wilbs and Elliot, but apart from them it is a youthful group.

I believe I am right in saying that in our 75-76 promotion season we only used 13 players, this current team is a very small squad for modern football.

The 70's team was famous for it's close knit group and camaraderie, this team is showing and talking about the same feeling.

As for the players, we have a Gerry Gow like midfield driving force in Korey Smith, Tainton like skill and tenacity in Freeman and the words "lazy" and "genius" that are being used about JET were often used about Keith Fear.

Maybe others can see other similarities?

Like the team of the 70's this team has a chance to make people sit up and notice by beating top level opposition in the cup, I hope they can do what that team did to Leeds all those years ago.

Now I don't want to get carried away or overstate this, but I am seeing comparisons between this team and the most successful post war side, the 70's team that reached the 1st division.

That team was very young, even younger than the current side, with an average of 21. The average age of this team is dragged up by Wilbs and Elliot, but apart from them it is a youthful group.

I believe I am right in saying that in our 75-76 promotion season we only used 13 players, this current team is a very small squad for modern football.

The 70's team was famous for it's close knit group and camaraderie, this team is showing and talking about the same feeling.

As for the players, we have a Gerry Gow like midfield driving force in Korey Smith, Tainton like skill and tenacity in Freeman and the words "lazy" and "genius" that are being used about JET were often used about Keith Fear.

Like the team of the 70's this team has a chance to make people sit up and notice by beating top level opposition in the cup, I hope they can do what that team did to Leeds all those years ago.

Guest dandare 1966

Yes I agree that was a very good team , dare I say it this one may be better perhaps the proof in the pudding will be when we beat the hammers !

I like this thread and I really don't mean to piss on peoples cornflakes, however, I think (as good as they are) this current crop have some way to go yet to emulate a team that got promoted and survived in the Top flight of English football and beat arguably the best team of that generation in the cup, Away!

Hopefully the comparisons snowball and become an accurate likeness of our team from the mid-late 70's, but not yet, IMO.

I like this thread and I really don't mean to piss on peoples cornflakes, however, I think (as good as they are) this current crop have some way to go yet to emulate a team that got promoted and survived in the Top flight of English football and beat arguably the best team of that generation in the cup, Away!

Hopefully the comparisons snowball and become an accurate likeness of our team from the mid-late 70's, but not yet, IMO.

I, sort of, share your sentiment; but was it really the same team that 'got promoted and survived in the Top flight of English football' and beat arguably the best team of that generation in the cup, Away! I am assuming that, in the latter case, you are referring to the Don Gillies Leeds match.

Archived