IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

havanatopia

FFS get a grip. First game of the season. Fine lines, off the line at one end for 1-1 and straight up the other end and score. Pack could not foul or would have been sent off. Fielding needed to go for it and just failed to get a touch.

• Like 2

Let's be honest. It's not the romantic return to the championship we all desired, but it isn't quite the end of the world that some are making out.

Sheffield Wednesday are a decent outfit and we're away to them. Hardly an away banker.

Have faith. It'll come good.

• Like 4

We have not been that bad, just could not get Wilbs/ Kodger into the game, in hindsight would have been better with one up front and extra man in midfield I think.

Such as who?

Look at our bench, the unfit and not rated...

We have not been that bad, just could not get Wilbs/ Kodger into the game, in hindsight would have been better with one up front and extra man in midfield I think.

Not sure what game you're watching but we've been awful in general, in every area of the pitch we've been second best.

I'll give it a few games but anyone thinking our squad didn't need competition for places watch this game. Everyone looks a step below everyone on SW. Can definitely turn it around and I'm sure we will sharpen but most have been poor today. Get used to this because it's the "new" championship. Higher fees, higher wages and much better players. This is what can happen when you don't get players in early and don't want to compete with wages and fees. Will have to spend to be competitive. Can be smart spending but to get quality you'll have to pay for it which we have been willing to do yet.

I hate when people have this attitude, of course people are going to see this as a bad omen, we've looked outclassed in almost every area of the pitch and showed no signs of being able to adapt when outplayed.

I don't think this formation will work in this league, not without some very impressive central midfielders, we've got nothing in the middle.

Based on one game. Jeez our fans..

• Like 1

How quickly we realise the jump in quality between the divisions and adapt (those up to the task) will define our season

Sounds like a reality check

Afraid I've never seen enough in Pack to think he may cut it in Championship - looked 'ok' in a very good side at tail end of L1

It won't be the defeat that defines us but how we learn from them ( and quickly)

MK seem to have got to grips with it !!

MK Dons are playing arguably the weakest side in the division.

• Like 1

Based on one game. Jeez our fans..

One game? Yes but I've never seen them play this poorly(this main group). Hopefully this serves as a wake up to everyone that it's going to take a lot more this season to be even average. We are capable but this is going to be the kinds of team we play every week. Got to sharpen and toughen up

• Like 1

Guest Mickey Bells left foot

sheffield wednesday away is a tad different than rotherham away

reckon rotherham will be relegated this season

One game? Yes but I've never seen them play this poorly(this main group). Hopefully this serves as a wake up to everyone that it's going to take a lot more this season to be even average. We are capable but this is going to be the kinds of team we play every week. Got to sharpen and toughen up

No, it's fine you told me.

We can go into this with a squad of about 12, surely?

Burns has done well since coming on.. surprised how often Luke has lost the ball tbh.

Agard about to come on...

Doesn't surprise me. He is a good player but you need players playing with you to make space. I think his team mates and him need to wise up quickly.. The standard is much better you get less space less time and opposition positioning themselves better whole making better decisions.

Guest BCFC You Reds!

People saying panic in 5 games. no, this squad just isnt good enough for this league. The step up is bigger than most people think

I'm not trying to criticise our lads. Quite the opposite. I feel for them. I personally feel they have been let down by the clubs inability to sign players this summer.

It's a big jump up in standard and they needed help.

I agree a lot of work to do in the transfer market.

We had games where we played like this last year, difference is the standard is better...... much better.

Sheff W could turn out to be a very good side this year and anyway , they're no  mugs. 

Bryan's injury was a factor but, Fredericks looked good on the left,  and Wes has done OK. 

I think a  reality check was in order for some on here, it's a bloody hard League where we will need to be at or near our best.

No need to slash wrists just yet.

I certainly don't think we've played amazing, we've been getting caught on the Counter Attack way to much, I don't think playing 3 at the back is going to work out if the play is this fast as it has been this game. I feel like we're unprepared in areas. Seemed to have played better since going 2-0 down.

I know this is stronger opposition etc but we looked more together as a unit in the first game at Sheffield Utd last season than we do today.

Team spirit obviously couldn't last forever, but it's a vital component of a successful season. Hopefully the new lads can settle in quick

I have a feeling cotts interview may be slightly cringeworthy tonight. I sincerely hopes he admits they were beaten by the better team.

If I was him I'd be hard pressed not to mention my displeasure at the ref allowing Wednesday players to batter 3 of my team in the first half.

I'm sure he'll resist the temptation though.

I know this is stronger opposition etc but we looked more together as a unit in the first game at Sheffield Utd last season than we do today.

You're right.

It is stronger opposition.

Those who have posted this summer about the gap "not being great" are completely deluded.

The wake up call here is that every point at this level needs to be won and our summer recruitment (which virtually started on Thursday) has left us behind the rest.

• Like 1

No, it's fine you told me.

We can go into this with a squad of about 12, surely?

I may not be understanding you correctly but our squad is bigger than 12. Though I didn't mean we need more in terms of transfer(which we do but wasn't my point). I mean the lads need to dig a bit deeper into their abilities for this league. I think they're capable. It's most of their first games in this league. I think this will serve as a wake up to them all. And I'm very sure we will be much sharper next weekend on set pieces and counters. I saw I think Bradford score 2 set prices against us in a match last season. Can't recall many after. Also recall the other Sheffield counter us at the gate to the tune of 3-1. Don't recall many more after that. Cotts will straighten them out on that front.