IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

havanatopia

FT 2-0...did not play well as a team, Freeman tried hard but lost the ball more times that I can remember him ever doing last season. Wilbs/Kodger never got in the game. We got a bit overrun in midfield. A reminder overall that we will get less time & space in this league... Burns played well after replacing Joe.

Have to remember that if we had scored from our 1st corner instead of it being a goal-line clearance it could have ended so differently. No need to panic just yet, just pick ourselves up and regroup.

Have to agree with you completely my biggest concern was that without Kieran Agard harrying defenders Wilbs/ Kodger looked static  and Fredericks did not seem to drive on like Little - still early days .

Did anyone honestly think that our first game in a higher division, away to a big team was going to be easy?

Like many, I was disappointed with every aspect of our pre-season - but we still have time to bring people in and get this side working together.

You simply cannot judge what this season is going to be like from one game.

Early last season, I watched us get knocked out the League Cup at Ashton Gate by a side that was bottom of L2. And we put out a side that was 8/11 of our first choice XI too. The bloke who sits behind me said: "That's it! We're going to go down again!"

Do not be that man!! Do not prematurely evaluate!

As others have said, one positive to take is that Wes seemed comfortable in the role he was called on to play. I've long said that MF is maybe the way forward for him.

Agree. Especially in such an un-predictable league as the Championship anything is possible, making snap judgements is naive. Still a very very long way to go..

I thought we looked good when playing the ball to feet, SW closed down space very well and then we seemed to play it long which will never work in this league..

Disappointing result but not seasons end, I do think we need to replace Pack in midfield and bring him on to help him develop as he will be a Champ player given time.

Early days for the new signings but lets hope we can bring in 2 or 3 quality players before the window shuts..

Were not a bad side, I was at the Brighton match last night and thought we showed a lot more in patches than either them or Forest, we will be ok.

Pretty ridiculous reactions on here. First half fairly even but we had little penetration (58% possession).

Kodjia looks a bit lost as yet, but that will come. We got overrun in the second half and Wednesday produced some good stuff, but we certainly weren't outclassed throughout. The second goal was dreadful defending when we were overcommitted, and like last season we were a bit gung-ho; it's more risky against stronger teams.

The next game could be completely different.

• Like 1

Midfield was always going to be a problem, even in some game last season, our midfield didn't dominate or control, think we need a disruptive Paul Hartley type player.

Smith did well, and Pack hit some good balls (though went 'Hollywood' too much for me), but Wednesday effectively isolated and held Freeman at arm's length for much of the game.

Needed someone who would retrieve possession from the back line AND step out with it; not much connective tissue there just now, and made us go long too many times.

Won't happen and not suggesting the exact player, but a 'Barton-type', who'd dig us out from our own half wouldn't have gone amiss there.

Simply that SL and Cotts had said as much earlier ino the day and that there was work to be done before the end of the month.

I'm still not clear what was said. Could you/somebody clarify please? Adam saying there is work to be done is stating the bleeding obvious. Did anybody actually say 2 or 3 signings are on the way or merely that we are hoping for that?

Oh come on!! Who didn't know this was coming, we signed hardly anyone this summer and go into the first game away with a very depleted squad. Let's just hope that we make some decent signings soon and quickly as this can be a punishing league if you don't get off to the best start. Just enjoy the day, ashes (tick), sun (tick), football back (tick)!!

It seemed to me that he was simply saying that he wasn't particularly looking forward to the two home games as he was still thinking about the game he had lost today - and he hates losing. Understandable really less than an hour after the match.

• Like 1

Might be a blessing in disguise losing today. Put to bed any of that 'we'll continue where we let off' rubbish. It's not going to be that easy and this will have been a big wake up call as to how we need to adapt to suit.

Quite. We have a bottom 6 budget. Doesn't mean that is where we will finish but it's a reasonable guide to what our expectations should be, including getting used to losing a lot more.

Edited by chinapig

Felt we were the better side? What?

Bcfctweets says this comment from him

@bcfctweets: SC: "We didn't have enough thrust in our game in the final third. We've got lessons to learn."

And a strange one

@bcfctweets: SC: "We need to get Mark Little back fit and Kieran Agard back fully fit. Then at least we'd have our League 1 team of last year available."

Pack imho was the weak link last season and he's had a stinker today. Its early days yet and he did finish the season on a high, improving greatly, I'm not fighting him off yet bit on todays performance he looked way out of his depth, the squad looked a little thin and the biggest worry which I highlighted at the start of pre season was our distinct lack of plan b.

Onwards and upwards, early days yet!

FFS QPR for all of their signings got dicked 2-0 as well, big deal and JET back at home on the bench.

On the bright side John Joe O'Toole scored the winner for Northampton against the gas.

Yep and Sheffield Utd lost 4-0 in division 3!

No team wins every game, we need to lighten up and have fun!

Pompey are in division 4 but 17,000 of them turned out today!

There's some seriously horrible things happening in the world, and a 2-0 defeat ain't one of them.

Let's get behind our boys and have fun!

Pack imho was the weak link last season and he's had a stinker today. Its early days yet and he did finish the season on a high, improving greatly, I'm not fighting him off yet bit on todays performance he looked way out of his depth, the squad looked a little thin and the biggest worry which I highlighted at the start of pre season was our distinct lack of plan b.

Onwards and upwards, early days yet!

I like Pack but he does make a lot of bad choices in dangerous areas, his radar was a bit off today and gave it away too much.

I'm not too worried about losing today 1st games of the season are Always nervy and sometimes won by teams who have had a better pre season.

It's interesting to see in match stats we had 58% possession.I would of thought that was mostly from passing back and forth between the midfield and defence .

Wednesday were organised and were quick to put us under pressure once we entered there half.although in the first half they edged it we had no real clear cut chances until the burns chance.

Today we knew who would play in the midfield and have no pressure on there places all summer . You do have to wonder if this played a factor today . There seemed to be not many players making runs other than our strikers+ Freeman . Using our wing backs a lot becoming very predict able .

I would of liked to have seen Cotterill be bold and try 3 up front as we only had a chance with burns due to a set play .

• Like 1

I like Pack but he does make a lot of bad choices in dangerous areas, his radar was a bit off today and gave it away too much.

This.

Not writing him off at all, but seemed too casual when he should have been cautious at times today, and as mentioned; hit some stunning balls, but also attempted these at other times when easier ones were available.

Think he might be the victim of not quite fitting the role he is asked to played sometimes i.e. turning over play to the likes of Freeman and the wing backs, rather than looking for the pass to the forwards.

That said; was puzzled why neither of Jo or Wilbs dropped deeper in order to shake their markers or mix it up there, but sure their understanding will build.

Wasn't woeful, but wasn't assured at all; kinks will get worked on, I'm sure.

I was surprised as usual that when we lose cotts always mentions the state of the pitch!

Mentioned at h/t in the match thread that SW seemed to be only watering one end of the pitch during the break - the end we were defending 2nd half.

• Like 1

I think that we lost the match on the midfield zone: Fredericks joined the team only two days ago, so he was'nt able to connect properly with his team-mates on the pitch, whereas Burns was very good in attack, but lacked something in the defensive work; Freeman was left alone too many times, Pack and Smith didn't play well.

Wilbraham and Kodjia had a negative performance too, but the main cause, IMO, was the amount of passing errors by the midfielders.

I found the defensive trio quite good; unfortunately, I cant' say the same about Frankie.

To me, the main aspect the team should increase is the attacking play.

We still need to sign a few players but we needed that before today and we would have needed that if we had won 4-0 today. Wake-up call to the championship today. Always thought it would be a tough game and those in cuckoo land need to get there feet in the ground. Next game Luton!

Experienced players would be the best option, IMO, especially for the midfield.

Edited by Dan Robin

Felt we were the better side, game changed after first goal, felt Sheffield had something to sit back on. Felt that the mistakes we made today had been made in league one.

Now the unconvincing part:

"are you looking forward to two home games now Steve?"

"um...probably... "

Wtf?

It worries me that SC genuinely thought we we were the better side until the goal. We were so plainly not. Does he really believe that? I hope he doesn't.

@alidurdenBBC: Owner Steve Lansdown admits #BristolCity taken aback by demands of clubs and players this summer. Still "2-3 players light at this stage."

Don't think it was 2-3 on the way, more like 2-3 more short at the moment.

We are coming across as somewhat naive - God help us if we get anywhere near the prem circus

Seems to have 4 options

Run with what we've got

Loans

Sign players judged as inferior

Pay the market rate

No one os going to take pity on us !

• Like 1

It worries me that SC genuinely thought we we were the better side until the goal. We were so plainly not. Does he really believe that? I hope he doesn't.

I think it is obvious there is a difference between what he thinks and what he says..

guys get a grip of yourselves.

More inclined to do that when we win. (Sorry couldn't help it!)

Can't take too much from the first game or two of a season (which is why I never start betting until a few games in). SW may walk away with the title and this result not look too bad, or it may turn out that we're one of few teams to come away with at least a point from them.

Hopefully, it will mean that SL will ensure the necessary cash is available to strengthen if he wasn't already....

@alidurdenBBC: Owner Steve Lansdown admits #BristolCity taken aback by demands of clubs and players this summer. Still "2-3 players light at this stage."

Don't think it was 2-3 on the way, more like 2-3 more short at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying. If we were taken aback it suggests that we didn't do much research. Given we were promoted in good time we should have been well prepared for the transfer window. Instead we seem to have been taken by surprise, with no guarantee we wil get the 2 or 3 we need. It amounts to saying "We had no idea what wages and fees were paid in the Championship". Surprised Steve admitted as much, as it belies the slick professional approach to recruitment we thought was now in place.

• Like 1

Wow! I knew Pack was going to become a scapegoat for most people this season, in fact most had written him off before a ball was kicked, but my god, what a ridiculous overreaction to him today. Didn't think he'd be singled out quite this quickly.

All of the team were poor today if compared with the performances we know they are capable of. No one came out with any credit besides maybe (just) Flint.

Pack got tackled in his own half once in the first half and once in the second. He took a booking for the team rather than letting a man run free (just the same as Fredericks did, but he's not copped any flack for that), he made a couple of poor passes in the first half but spread the ball well in the second including a few passes threaded through to the strikers / wingbacks.

In comparison Korey Smith did pretty much f-all all game, apart from giving the ball away numerous times more than Pack did, including one where he gifted the ball to Lopez on the edge of the box which should have been a goal.

If you watched that game not having seen any of our team play before, you'd say Smith was our weakest midfielder.

I'm not saying he is, nor slagging him off, but he was much worse than Pack today, yet the scapegoat goes to Pack.

For what it's worth, I thought Fielding obviously made a cock-up, Bryan (whilst on) and Fredericks were completely ineffective wingbacks, Smith was terrible, Freeman disappeared second half, and the front 2, Wilb & Kodge were absolutely dire.

Williams was horrible defensively and had a mare against Wallace & Hunt, and Ayling got caught out a number of times down his side too, and susceptible to a ball over the top once or twice as well.

Pack, for me, was probably better than all bar Flint today. He made a couple of bad forward passes, and got tackled twice. Bloody hell. I can sense young Marlon being in a very long season with most of you lot. Ludicrous opinions (that's my opinion).

On first showing, our new signings will need some time to bed in. Kodjia looked very poor I have to say, and Fred looked scared. I'm willing to give them both time to settle in a new team and challenging league, but seems most of you lot have written off Pack on the back of a bad team performance in which he was nowhere near our worst midfielder, let alone worst player.

• Like 2

Not surprised, promoted and add just 3 players, none with much experience at this level, hardly inspires confidence. No panic button yet, but a few worrying signs. Still, Bath City won and Steve Phillips had an excellent game, terrific signing at that level.

• Like 1

Wow! I knew Pack was going to become a scapegoat for most people this season, in fact most had written him off before a ball was kicked, but my god, what a ridiculous overreaction to him today. Didn't think he'd be singled out quite this quickly.

All of the team were poor today if compared with the performances we know they are capable of. No one came out with any credit besides maybe (just) Flint.

Pack got tackled in his own half once in the first half and once in the second. He took a booking for the team rather than letting a man run free (just the same as Fredericks did, but he's not copped any flack for that), he made a couple of poor passes in the first half but spread the ball well in the second including a few passes threaded through to the strikers / wingbacks.

In comparison Korey Smith did pretty much f-all all game, apart from giving the ball away numerous times more than Pack did, including one where he gifted the ball to Lopez on the edge of the box which should have been a goal.

If you watched that game not having seen any of our team play before, you'd say Smith was our weakest midfielder.

I'm not saying he is, nor slagging him off, but he was much worse than Pack today, yet the scapegoat goes to Pack.

For what it's worth, I thought Fielding obviously made a cock-up, Bryan (whilst on) and Fredericks were completely ineffective wingbacks, Smith was terrible, Freeman disappeared second half, and the front 2, Wilb & Kodge were absolutely dire.

Williams was horrible defensively and had a mare against Wallace & Hunt, and Ayling got caught out a number of times down his side too, and susceptible to a ball over the top once or twice as well.

Pack, for me, was probably better than all bar Flint today. He made a couple of bad forward passes, and got tackled twice. Bloody hell. I can sense young Marlon being in a very long season with most of you lot. Ludicrous opinions (that's my opinion).

On first showing, our new signings will need some time to bed in. Kodjia looked very poor I have to say, and Fred looked scared. I'm willing to give them both time to settle in a new team and challenging league, but seems most of you lot have written off Pack on the back of a bad team performance in which he was nowhere near our worst midfielder, let alone worst player.

I had Pack ( along with Ayling) down as our most impressive player after 34 mins. on the match thread.

Only my opinion of course but very surprised at the volume of disagreement against MP.

I've never been either a convinced advocate of Pack or a detractor, I'll form my opinion on what I see as his career progresses.

I thought he did fine for the most part today - far from being a clear weak link - but unfortunately it seems many others have made an irrevocable decision that they don't rate him.

• Like 1

Think we were a bit too spread at the back. Williams and Ayling looked to me almost fullbacks at times and when we lost possession, it was a quick over the top ball into space and their pace was a bit much for Ayling and Williams. I'm sure we'll be fine but it was a rough start. Sure the lads will want to do better at home. They'll be ready for Brentford.

Guest ioncetalkedtotrevortainton

I hope you don't mind a Wednesday fan barging in.  I spent much of my childhood in Bristol and sometimes stood in the Enclosure to watch City in Division one.  (A 3-2 against Leeds comes to mind.  And names!  Merrick!  Drysdale! Sweeney!  Fear!  And - heartbreaking - Paul Cheeseley).  Subsequently have always kept an eye on their results.

I  can't comment about individual players: it was bad enough trying to identify our own.  But:

• I was struck looking at the programme by how small the squad seems to be.  Obviously that's not an issue that bears on today, but you guys really are going to need more bodies.  
  • It really is a big step up.  When we came up in 2012 we had had an immense run from mid-Jan, and I really thought we would be competitive.  Not so.  So take a goal like our second: you can say it was a nice quick punchy counter, and you can say that City's defending was naive, and both are true.  But: the point is you seldom have to cope with anything like that in the lower league.  At the most general level, I would say that players who looked  fine  in league one can often just look slow and clumsy in the championship
  • Until the first goal, I thought it was a reasonable well-organised defensive performance was City, esp in the middle.  From time to time you were ripped apart down the flanks, but to be honest Mattias, Wallace and Hunt (all making debuts) are more challenging than you'll normally face.  
  • The main worry would be a lack of creativity and a lack of strength upfront.  I couldn't quite see where the goals were coming from.  Tho' possibly you should have had the penalty near the end: I thought not, but both my kids thought it was.  But the upcoming home matches will be the better test.

I wouldn't by any means think of pressing panic buttons, and unquestionably you'll learn.  But Mr L does I think need to authorise some spend..

People may just be judging Pack on what they've seen of him , not just today but in his career to date , incl with us in L1 Harry

Just a point to ponder

Don't think people are judging him on today's performance alone and to infer so is naive

Biggest thing for me is zero pace over 5 or 20 yes and you have to be some player to be competitive in a midfield role in Champ to make it without it

I enjoy reading your posts but others are entitled to their opinions (There are a number who saw today's game who disagree with a number of your points) the same as you are to yours

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2

Poor game from our perspective. I don't think Sheff Wed will be a top side so to be beaten so comfortably was disappointing.

First half we did OK in possession but didn't really hurt them. They should have scored with two great chances.

Second half is when we started to fall apart. Most things came down the side that Bryan had vacated and was being filled by Fredericks. Worrying that Bryan might be out and that Fredericks looked so poor. 

We looked solid from set pieces apart from the one that undid us. Very unlike us.

The only chance we had of note was Flint's header off the line and then they went and scored on the counter. Horrible mistake by Fielding - is he up to it at this level...question marks for me.

Burns did well and looked unlucky not to win a penalty late in the game. Freeman a good first half but then easily stopped in the 2nd - again a concern if teams work him out.

Derek Williams looked pretty poor today and not convinced if Pack can be a effective starter (his forward passing was very poor today). Korey, Flint and Ayling looked OK.

Upfront - passes through to Kodjia were poor and Wilbraham worked hard but didnt cause them many problems.

As has been said a million times, the squad is threadbare and even I would question if some of the first 11 are up to it let alone the subs.

It is hard not to be down after that but it is only one game and after last season, we know this group can come back and produce much better. We need a confidence booster at Luton and a player or two before Brentford home.

• Like 6

just got back to the batcave and the journey home was full of reflection of the game today.

The cider i was drinking in the horse and jockey up the hill from the stadium is out of my system now and there were things i was saying at the end of the game which i would not be saying now. This is the kick up the arse that the club (both on and off the field) need, and a major wake up call as to what the Championship is all about.

But one thing still rings true from what i did say at the end of the game, and it appears some have beaten me to it. Marlon Pack.

An absolute waste of space, i have no idea what he has brought this club since he joined, yet some people see him as a Pirlo / Scholes-esque player. Laughable. A Cheltenham fan i know was happy to see the back of him when he left them to join us. We are in for a long hard season if he is going to be our first choice central midfielder all season. Smith was poor today but still had a bit of skill on the ball, a lot more movement and i think he was doing the job of 2 players in the midfield battle. The first player we should have bought in the summer was a central midfielder to replace Elliot, but we are where we are and we are only 3 points off top.

• Like 2

Poor game from our perspective. I don't think Sheff Wed will be a top side so to be beaten so comfortably was disappointing.

First half we did OK in possession but didn't really hurt them. They should have scored with two great chances.

Second half is when we started to fall apart. Most things came down the side that Bryan had vacated and was being filled by Fredericks. Worrying that Bryan might be out and that Fredericks looked so poor.

We looked solid from set pieces apart from the one that undid us. Very unlike us.

The only chance we had of note was Flint's header off the line and then they went and scored on the counter. Horrible mistake by Fielding - is he up to it at this level...question marks for me.

Burns did well and looked unlucky not to win a penalty late in the game. Freeman a good first half but then easily stopped in the 2nd - again a concern if teams work him out.

Derek Williams looked pretty poor today and not convinced if Pack can be a effective starter (his forward passing was very poor today). Korey, Flint and Ayling looked OK.

Upfront - passes through to Kodjia were poor and Wilbraham worked hard but didnt cause them many problems.

As has been said a million times, the squad is threadbare and even I would question if some of the first 11 are up to it let alone the subs.

It is hard not to be down after that but it is only one game and after last season, we know this group can come back and produce much better. We need a confidence booster at Luton and a player or two before Brentford home.

Alex. I pretty much agree with all of that apart from you saying Smith looked good? He was probably our poorest performer today with the exception of Williams.

Genuinely intrigued, but can you tell me what you saw in Korey's performance that I didn't?

Alex. I pretty much agree with all of that apart from you saying Smith looked good? He was probably our poorest performer today with the exception of Williams.

Genuinely intrigued, but can you tell me what you saw in Korey's performance that I didn't?

Smith looked OK not good I put!

Won a fair bit things and distributed the ball OK. 

I thought Smith did okay.

He was constantly outnumbered in the middle and Ayling acting particularly cavalier was dragging him here there and everywhere.

His job made even harder with Bryan going and the understanding he and Williams have developed iro covering each other noticeably absent.

From the 40 minute mark he handled an impossible task well, I thought. Two new wing backs, both out of position... Don't think anyone would say that's a platform for a holding midfielder.

Edited by Guest

Smith looked OK not good I put!

Won a fair bit things and distributed the ball OK.

Yep. Fair do's. His short 5 yard passing was fine, but pretty much everything he attempted as a forward-attacking pass was terrible. He lost the ball very easily a few times and 1 where he gifted Lopez what should've been a goal. He wasn't as tenacious as usual and was sloppy in possession, I thought.

By contrast, Pack found his range of passing much better in the 2nd half and was involved in penetrating the opposition with a number of forward or cross-field passes.

Sadly though, because he got tackled once he'll be everyone's boo boy.

Yep. Fair do's. His short 5 yard passing was fine, but pretty much everything he attempted as a forward-attacking pass was terrible. He lost the ball very easily a few times and 1 where he gifted Lopez what should've been a goal. He wasn't as tenacious as usual and was sloppy in possession, I thought.

By contrast, Pack found his range of passing much better in the 2nd half and was involved in penetrating the opposition with a number of forward or cross-field passes.

I thought Pack settled for sure and Korey I've never seen play as poorly. Usually no flash but solid and rarely giving up possession and winning it back. Just wasn't his normal performance but I'm sure it'll come in time.

I personally think we never play as well when Joe and Mark Little aren't our WBs. So Fredricks and anyone new will need a few matches to adjust(as it did Tavenier).

Any news on Joe?

Read my post #638 Harry please before you say another 'Sadly though, because he got tackled once he'll be everyone's boo boy'

Getting tiresome now tbh

• Like 1

Guest NorthernRobin

Thought pack was poor today however some of the comments on here are ridiculous, he had a great season last season and doesn't deserve to be slaughtered after one bad game.

Would like to see a new exciting centre mid brought in though, someone who can take hold of the game and carry us in games like today where we struggled to sequence attacking moves.