IGNORED

Transfer Policy

Guest Thatchers and City

Guest Thatchers and City

Hi all,

This is my first post, please go easy!!!

I was thinking why have we not bought some of the best young division one players as we would have a good advantage of seeing them the last two seasons.

For example at the gate last year Rochdale and Chesterfield to name two had some decent players, which would cost less bit of a gamble yes but at least we would still have young hungry squad?

It's a good point, dude.

This may have been in the transfer equation back in the summer, but now Cotts has most likely seen our L1 players of last season aren't as good as he/we thought in this div - or at least look a little wet behind the ears so far (out-thought, out-muscled, outplayed for the most part of the 180 mins to now) - so now players with proven Champ experience may first and foremost be the new order of the day.

As ever, and as a fan of some near-40 years standing I say this with authority, City lurch from one extreme to another: buy old & experienced (couple of years ago) ... no, buy young! Buy for sell-on potential, no buy established (eg Gayle, if, as unlikely as it now seems, we were ever actually interested in him, or were we just hoodwinked by his people/agent [ans: yes]). Nurture homegrown...no, buy foreign! (This last maybe a little harsh, but I'm in no mood, I'm still reeling from yesterday and the wipe-out of our feelgood factor from the past 12 months).

Buying any C'field, Roch etc players is potentially more of a gamble than established Champ players. Perhaps at least the latter will work through any initial lack of form to regain what they showed for other clubs at this level; L1 players may never attain that standard and just be that - L1 players.

Truth is, without being on the inside we cannot know, here on the outside. But then, that's what a forum is for - wild speculation, everyone adding their twopenneth (eg me) and an awful lot of guessing. With the emphasis on awful.

And guessing.

Good luck with future posting!

Guest Thatchers and City

Good point Enclosuresurge I guess now it's proven players or nothing, I think we will have a struggle on our hands but it just takes a few good results and things can change quickly.

Is our team good enough to stay up. IMO yes. Next season they will all have a championship season under their belts and will be able to push on. This is why I feel bringing in the best of L1 and young Prem cast offs (like Williams) and blooding them within a championship experienced team next season.

Sorry to disagree with you, but after three matches I am beginning to have real doubts as to whether the team of last year is good enough to survive in the Championship but what I find ever more difficult to believe is that we have a manager who is good enough for the Championship.  His performance since the end of last season has been shocking.  He has clearly got the transfer market completely wrong, and his performance in the post-match interview on Saturday was embarrassing.  Now he is quoted in the Post this morning blaming the market, the prices, implying criticism of the Board for not giving him enough money, and raising doubts as to whether he will be able to bring anyone in at all.  The one person he doesn't criticize, typically, is himself.  I have been very impressed by the way Karl Robinson has gone about his business since the end of last season, and there is every sign that MK Dons and Preston have built squads that will be able to survive in the Championship.  We are far from that, and my fear is that we are already too far behind other clubs, in terms of building our squad, to be able to keep up. 

We have lost Freeman for Wednesday and have no adequate replacement.  Fredericks and Robinson so far look average at best.  Kodjia looks exciting but naive and frustrating.  It is difficult to see us getting anything out of the Leeds match, and then we are at Middlesbrough on Saturday.  We could be looking at being anchored to the bottom of the table after only four games, with no points, and a mountain to climb. 

Cotterill needs to stop moaning and get his act together NOW before it is too late.  If he does not, I think we are faced with a long hard season, and I don't see Cotterill being in charge at Christmas.

Sorry to disagree with you, but after three matches I am beginning to have real doubts as to whether the team of last year is good enough to survive in the Championship but what I find ever more difficult to believe is that we have a manager who is good enough for the Championship. His performance since the end of last season has been shocking. He has clearly got the transfer market completely wrong, and his performance in the post-match interview on Saturday was embarrassing. Now he is quoted in the Post this morning blaming the market, the prices, implying criticism of the Board for not giving him enough money, and raising doubts as to whether he will be able to bring anyone in at all. The one person he doesn't criticize, typically, is himself. I have been very impressed by the way Karl Robinson has gone about his business since the end of last season, and there is every sign that MK Dons and Preston have built squads that will be able to survive in the Championship. We are far from that, and my fear is that we are already too far behind other clubs, in terms of building our squad, to be able to keep up.

We have lost Freeman for Wednesday and have no adequate replacement. Fredericks and Robinson so far look average at best. Kodjia looks exciting but naive and frustrating. It is difficult to see us getting anything out of the Leeds match, and then we are at Middlesbrough on Saturday. We could be looking at being anchored to the bottom of the table after only four games, with no points, and a mountain to climb.

Cotterill needs to stop moaning and get his act together NOW before it is too late. If he does not, I think we are faced with a long hard season, and I don't see Cotterill being in charge at Christmas.

How can you say fredericks and Robinson look average at best the lads have hardly played any competitive football let alone with a new bunch of lads give them a chance, MK Dons and Preston IMO still have a worse starting 11 than we have!! Can see you have hit the panic button a tad early, if we are still in the position of without any points and no new signings come 1st September that's the time to worry, until then just sit back and cheer the lads on!!

How can you say fredericks and Robinson look average at best the lads have hardly played any competitive football let alone with a new bunch of lads give them a chance, MK Dons and Preston IMO still have a worse starting 11 than we have!! Can see you have hit the panic button a tad early, if we are still in the position of without any points and no new signings come 1st September that's the time to worry, until then just sit back and cheer the lads on!!

Fair points Tom, but if we have no new signings by September 1st it will be too late to worry!

Fredericks and Robinson are good footballers.

But, like most of our squad, they have almost zero experience at this level. We need two or three 27/30 year olds to hold us together and allow the rest to come to terms with this very tough league.

They will cost fees and wages outside of our current limits but unless we do such recruitment now, I fear that the season will end in the unthinkable.

The only thing wrong with the policy this year is we are running a little late, OK maybe a lack of alternatives.

We will never know what exactly has gone on behind the scenes between, SC, the Board, scouts,agents etc.

But the bid for Gale was accepted (not out of our grasp then), Gale understandably wanted to see his options but, could end up with no club/first team football. Just say this as different advice and the deal may have been done.

Whether the team is good enough is all conjecture at the moment, I think they would be, but with a couple of good additions it could be easier.

We have 90% of the squad stepping up and most of the rest bedding in, early doors as they say.

Saturday showed only that it's easier to play with 10 men in D1, that said if we were clinical we would have had something from the game.

My only problem from Saturday was, why did Wilbs stay on in midfield ?? 

A man down, and needing to cover more space with fewer men we play a very square peg in a round hole, strange.

Archived