IGNORED

The Official Champions V Leeds United Match Day Thread

havanatopia

All bar the goalie were here last year at the end.

Not entirely sure it is the squad as such, although better players help, or even the system. Its a balance, but seems we are to ambitious, and far to open to the break. Confidence also comes in to it, and today must help that.

The problem isn't with the players we have, I think we have a very talented squad, even at this level. It's unfair on them how mismanaged our dealings off the pitch have been. We should have strengthened by now, instead we're weaker. Hopefully we can remedy that quickly, starting with Gray.

MarcusX and whichever other clown said game over, have some of that. Support your bloody team.

Yep, I fully accept I was wrong.

Great end to the game and proved me wrong. It was VERY difficult not to go wild in Billy's, I'd probably be in an ambulance if I had.

Stats from tonight really prove my point about our defending. Fantastic offensive formation but three chances conceded and two of those resulted in goals. Both of which stemmed from getting caught out making poor decisions.

Absolutely buzzing though. Really feels like a win and a big confidence boost going into a really rough away game.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Feel sorry for sc ... Not been backed enough as of yet !!!! Clearly knows the areas to stenghthen but not paying enough ... Last year burns and Reid were not good enough , but now in the league above he has to include them . He does his work very early pre season and was not given the tools to do it this !!!!

You couldn't have been there. Based on Burns so far and Reid for his cameo he's no pauper.

Stats from tonight really prove my point about our defending. Fantastic offensive formation but three chances conceded and two of those resulted in goals. Both of which stemmed from getting caught out making poor decisions.

Absolutely buzzing though. Really feels like a win and a big confidence boost going into a really rough away game.

image.jpg

Ian would say those stats are wrong.
  • Like 1

Guest Thatchers and City

We can moan about formations or lack of signings but one thing we have learnt tonight is the players are fully behind Cotterill. 2 late goals after losing three games before that obviously the spirit is still high

What, the one saying we need 3/4 signings and that a point tonight doesn't change that? How is that wrong? He praised the players we do have out there, just spoke about our poor pre-season. I share exactly the same thoughts.

He contradicted himself once maybe twice, talked sense then drivel and a bit of sense.. about in that order. Most times i find that bloke alright. Tonight he was all over the place.

Fact is he was allowed to go on and on. Rad Briz at its best of course.

He contradicted himself once maybe twice, talked sense then drivel and a bit of sense.. about in that order. Most times i find that bloke alright. Tonight he was all over the place.

Fact is he was allowed to go on and on. Rad Briz at its best of course.

I only caught the last few minutes but what he was saying seemed completely sensible to me.

Good on ya.

In fact il go one better, alchohol clearly clouded my judgement of the game because I didn't realise quite how much we dominated possession and chances (according to the stats on sky).

In my defence, when you are 2-0 down in a bar full of Leeds scum, you need to drink a LOT to get through it.

I still have concerns over the 3-5-2 in this league, but it's clear to see the fight and team spirit exists, and that's worth a lot!

Steve says we battered them.. thought he might.. sounded like we did.

Ref made an error, we made an error. . both goals.

Fantastic spirit of the players.

Deservedly got something but not what we deserved.

When we correct small errors we will be a force to be reckoned with in this league.

We snapped out of the penalty decision after 5 minutes.

He watched the replay at HT. Hamer never touched him.

Very abrupt about Gray: "nothing to talk about thanks"

Then he faded away... why?... because more of it coming pre Boro.

In fact il go one better, alchohol clearly clouded my judgement of the game because I didn't realise quite how much we dominated possession and chances (according to the stats on sky).

In my defence, when you are 2-0 down in a bar full of Leeds scum, you need to drink a LOT to get through it.

I still have concerns over the 3-5-2 in this league, but it's clear to see the fight and team spirit exists, and that's worth a lot!

It is obviously frustrating being two down with no time left, and I was with you!

Listening, what was most frustrating was it just seemed so easy for Leeds. We were on top for long periods, and then we were murdered on a break. Repeat.

Hopefully, just a case of getting the balance right. I honestly think it is that as much as signing x number of players.

Edited by cityexile

I didn't half get some funny looks sat. listening, on my headphones, in the bar of my hotel in Osterode, Germany when that 2nd goal went in!! :P

Well done City.

Haha! I'm sat in a hotel bar in deepest, darkest Worcestershire whilst working away. Dunno if anyone saw the fist-pump and faintly audible '******g get in' when I saw the full time score.

Assuming it's the usual 'Ian' who rings into Radio Bristol, then he's 'Bristol Boy', formerly of this parish.

He knows his stuff but very much fits the category of 'frustrated football manager'. I remember him saying on here years back that he would have got Danny Wilson's League 1 squad promoted if he was in charge.

Edited by Northern Red

Guest BCFC You Reds!

To people who went to the game, how did we play overall? Obviously the stats show us dominating and caught on the break twice

To people who went to the game, how did we play overall? Obviously the stats show us dominating and caught on the break twice

Mate who was at the game said we were naive at times, especially leading to both Leeds goals. He said that Fredericks & Williams were at fault for the goals by giving the ball away (if that's correct or not) 

Such a shame we didn't convert one of those early chances in the first half. We'd have won for sure... 

Dominated the first half without really testing their keeper. Only chances we conceded were of our own making.

Overall performance was worthy of three points and it's not because of Leeds ability that we didn't get them. If we can cut out the silly defensive errors we can stop giving ourselves a mountain to climb.

Very much could and should have been all three points. On to Saturday now, a big test. Boro will be considerably more of a threat going forwards than Leeds were.

• Like 1

I couldn't see from the ss if it was a penalty but hammer seemed to rush out and then put his arms out for the player whether he dived or not but he s got to be a lot wiser .

The 2nd goal was us once again getting caught on the break and not blaming flint soley but he was he nowhere land. I can't but think he would be better suited with Someone alongside him ie in a back four rather then back 3 where we are so stretched .

We got a point because we went for broke and Leeds Sat back , Leeds weren't anything special . Also we need to cut out cross field balls to our wingbacks . Which we did mostly 2nd half.

Having said that if Kodjia took his first half chance in first few mins or made it 1-1 just before half time. Didn't have a bad game but had no service 2nd half .

Been to meet the new Girlfriends parents this evening, her Dad being a massive Leeds fan, even had it tattooed in his Lip didn't exactly give me the goodbye I was expecting coming into the 88th minute.

Her dad has Leeds tattooed inside his lip? Oooh. Sounds like a keeper!

• Like 1

Been to meet the new Girlfriends parents this evening, her Dad being a massive Leeds fan, even had it tattooed in his Lip didn't exactly give me the goodbye I was expecting coming into the 88th minute.

Kinnel...sounds like an episode of Jeremy Kyle...you sure you wanna be going out with a girl who's father has Leeds tattood on his lips? Did his knuckles drag too?

She maybe a lovely girl...but really? ;-) My mother always warned me against such types ;-) Just saying.... :-)

• Like 1

Dominated the first half without really testing their keeper. Only chances we conceded were of our own making.

Overall performance was worthy of three points and it's not because of Leeds ability that we didn't get them. If we can cut out the silly defensive errors we can stop giving ourselves a mountain to climb.

Very much could and should have been all three points. On to Saturday now, a big test. Boro will be considerably more of a threat going forwards than Leeds were.

we need players for sure, 3 or 4 coming in in the next 11,12 days.

But from the commentary it sounded like those div 4 standard players, [reid,burns] from coming on against a leeds team that had shut up shop at 2/0 up did pretty well.

Augers well for the future yes?

It's spelt Agard, and he is ready now based on this evening's cameo performance.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. I don't think we dominated at all. It was clear where we're lacking players. A central defender and someone that can hold the ball up in midfield are 2 must positions for me. It was an extremely satisfying point tonight and some players really stood up to the mark, but it looks like they are playing in a formation they aren't entirely comfortable with yet. I hope the manner in which we drew the game will kick start the season and the belief that the players need.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. I don't think we dominated at all. It was clear where we're lacking players. A central defender and someone that can hold the ball up in midfield are 2 must positions for me. It was an extremely satisfying point tonight and some players really stood up to the mark, but it looks like they are playing in a formation they aren't entirely comfortable with yet. I hope the manner in which we drew the game will kick start the season and the belief that the players need.

Assuming it's the usual 'Ian' who rings into Radio Bristol, then he's 'Bristol Boy', formerly of this parish.

He knows his stuff but very much fits the category of 'frustrated football manager'. I remember him saying on here years back that he would have got Danny Wilson's League 1 squad promoted if he was in charge.

Horace would have got that squad promoted. He'd have played Lita in the final.

64% possession to Leeds 36.

18 shots to 7

11 on target to 3

8 corners to 3 kinda says otherwise.

Dominated the first half and should have been free and clear by half time. 2 mistakes (the 2nd one was either the ref or Hamer) for the first goal.

The game onlychanged after the second goal, to be fair Leeds looked to have us sussed. Broke really quickly with numbers and looked dangerous.  The attacking centre halves need to be reined in, there was 30 yards between them regularly, ton of space for Leeds to break into.

When teams build against us they look ok, but on the break we look all at sea.

The long diagonal ball was over used, massively . must have been told to do it but the full back had it covered easily.

Kodjia looks promising, even allowing for the bad miss,  needs to get used to the team and vice versa. He was looking for the ball behind the defence , that never came. 

Stupid statement warning..... If you ignore the results , I think we look pretty good. Certainly nothing to worry about.

IF  and that's a big if,  :P Gray signs he could have a field day.

EDIT: Just watched the goals and I can't see how SC says Hammer didn't touch the lad. He may not have done but not clear from the footage. So Hamer's mistake.

Edited by 1960maaan

I thought Leeds were very poor tonight offered nothing really, we gifted them 2 goals. We started well and should have scored really but we were so sloppy after the first 20 minutes and there was no urgency. JK's miss was clearly a save by the way saw it clear as day from the SS. Where that Agard goal came from I will never know but the Gate was buzzing from that moment on and a fantastic finish to the game in which a draw was easily deserved. The sound of the crowd at the end was so loud, shows that all the rubbish about acoustics in the new stands is nonsense, if 14k cheer and sing it's going to be loud! Hopefully this is something they can build on!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 2

Probably not a hot bed of City Support here in southern Galicia but pretty sure the roar that greeted aidan's equaliser by my son Alex and myself was heard across the Minho in Portugal . My friends will testify I 've a loud voice but that's the first international communication thus far !

• Like 1

Leeds were shit.  Absolutely shit.  We had to make two mistakes in a row to give them a four on one and they still needed a dive and a penalty to turn it into a goal.  They scored their only other chance whilst we were down to ten men.  Both were our own naivete more than anything Leeds actually did.  

Getting two goals at the end of the game was psychologically nice especially given the obnoxious opposition but in truth we created enough to get three points handily and on another night would have.  Kodjia is threatening and when he finds his feet will score at a good rate, Robinson looked effective and Bryan again delivered a lot of quality from the left.  

Defensively we need to wise up and realise that last year we could go adventuring up the pitch safe in the knowledge that most mistakes weren't capitalised on - at this level we can't.  Once we do that, and with a few key signings (two midfielders, two centre halves) we'll be fairly competitive I think.

• Like 2

They weren't shit. They were very very defensive. And it nearly worked.

I disagree, they were shit.  The only time they had the ball was when we gave it to them and they lost it pretty quickly every time.  If we'd played like that I'd have been fuming.  It was only defensive due to ineptitude.

• Like 1

It was a relief when Flinty got the equaliser but overall it was two points lost against a very average looking Leeds side who were there for the taking. Our vulnerability to counter attacks, missed chances and poor decision making at times are things to work on.

Leeds were shit.  Absolutely shit.  We had to make two mistakes in a row to give them a four on one and they still needed a dive and a penalty to turn it into a goal.  They scored their only other chance whilst we were down to ten men.  Both were our own naivete more than anything Leeds actually did.  

Getting two goals at the end of the game was psychologically nice especially given the obnoxious opposition but in truth we created enough to get three points handily and on another night would have.  Kodjia is threatening and when he finds his feet will score at a good rate, Robinson looked effective and Bryan again delivered a lot of quality from the left.  

Defensively we need to wise up and realise that last year we could go adventuring up the pitch safe in the knowledge that most mistakes weren't capitalised on - at this level we can't.  Once we do that, and with a few key signings (two midfielders, two centre halves) we'll be fairly competitive I think.

I thought Bryan was excellent in possession, but he needs to choose a better final ball. Easily the weakest point of his game.

Plus performances for me:

Ayling and Smith - top games from these two tonight

Better than average:

Kodjia, Robinson, Flint, Bryan

Average:

Wilbraham, Pack

Not at their best:

Hamer, Fredericks, Williams

The three subs all contributed. Reid - nice and neat and tidy and made good use of ball in advanced position. Did well under pressure to get the ball if for KA to score.

KA looked much sharper, and also seemed to have the ball under better control than sometimes he does.

Still, two points dropped IMHO. Leeds were a poor team, but I hope we've turned a corner.

Great play by City...looked good in the video.

Anyone else think the Disabled section in the SS looks awful? Just a mass of concrete. Wonder is anything can be done to disguise it, or blend it in with the crowd somehow...it's quite an eyesore imho.

They will be putting up similar billboards to the ones in the Atyeo WC areas.

• Like 1