IGNORED

Sports Bar

Red Army 87

• Admin

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Is it wise, or even possible to book a table in the sports bar pre match? I'm thinking of going in there for the first time in Saturday so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Personally speaking unless you are planning on getting there by 12, I would book a table / booth

I got there 12:20 at was one of the last people to get in, after that it is one in one out.

I do wonder what happens if you have a table booked, but are not at the front of the queue - how you prove you have a table etc??

Speak to @KevP he's the expert when it come to the Sports and Grill Bar......

Utter rubbish TM. I don't enjoy the hospitalities that you and your "Bushwacker" chums do mixing it with the high and mighty. I am not priviliged to come from a Royal Town like you and your pals. I wouldn't get past "security", I don't know how you do with your shorts and 1 and only black T shirt. Unless.......;)

If you like quails eggs and a cherry tomato with a quarter slice of toast and a bean (or two if you're lucky).

Try the burgers - that'll fill you up...

No I am looking for a proper english fry up! No american hash browns, proper fried potato. And fried bread on the same plate, not on a separate plate, which I have been getting lately. None of this posh small portion shit!

Fully booked for this weekend. I tried on Tuesday and they were all gone.

It's a ridiculous system anyway. Should be first come first served.

We went in there for the Forest game. Got there at 5pm and it was more or less empty. Asked for a table and were told they were all reserved

Over half the tables were still empty at 6.45pm.

You had the elderly, and disabled people forced to stand even when there were over a dozen tables empty!

Surely if you're prepared to get there early and spend your money you should get priority over someone that waltzes in an hour before kick off, stays for half hour then leaves!

The whole thing is a bit of a joke anyway. You can't get a table unless you book. You can't go upstairs on the mezz as it's members only, which just leaves standing only, unless you're lucky enough to get one of the approx 20 spots on the bench.

• Admin

No I am looking for a proper english fry up! No american hash browns, proper fried potato. And fried bread on the same plate, not on a separate plate, which I have been getting lately. None of this posh small portion shit!

Al's Tikka grill is the place for you then !

Haven't been in the Sports Bar but interested to know why people might prefer going there to the many pubs available nearby.

Bigger screens and perhaps more salubrious, but better booze/food/atmosphere? Cheaper? More comfortable? 

Apart from being on site, what's the attraction?

My preference would always be a local pub, guaranteed a good pre and post match atmosphere and I want these pubs to thrive, as well as BCFC.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Been in there twice.

Until they sort it out so that there are no reservations for tables (why have tables empty for hours just waiting for someone to waltz up when they feel like it), and until they sort out the silly us and them regarding the top level, and until they start serving proper grub instead of that poncy tapas rubbish, and until they sort out the big screen so its reliable (both times I've been in there its broken down), I'll be using the pubs.

Its not good in my opinion but each to his/her own.

The big screen worked fine for the Cardiff game.  And there was "proper" food.  I had a Wedlock burger (lamb and mint).  Very nice.

Give it another try.  You might be surprised.

3 hours ago, cynic said:

Been in there twice.

Until they sort it out so that there are no reservations for tables (why have tables empty for hours just waiting for someone to waltz up when they feel like it), and until they sort out the silly us and them regarding the top level, and until they start serving proper grub instead of that poncy tapas rubbish, and until they sort out the big screen so its reliable (both times I've been in there its broken down), I'll be using the pubs.

Its not good in my opinion but each to his/her own.

Well said chief - the cliquey, divisive 'only certain people can go upstairs' rubbish is particularly annoying...we are all fans and some I know, who don't pay at least £2 to join a 'select' group, go to most away games yet can't stand upstairs with the 'real ones.' Crazy situation.

Anyway, from what I've heard it's not as good as a proper local boozer so I'll continue to support those businesses where I can stand where I want and where I'd get a two word answer if I asked for a table to be reserved for me exclusively until I choose to make an entrance around 1.30pm...

My reading of the situation is the tables/booths are reserved for those eating. On the stadium forum i questioned how they were using and attracting people to the bar on non match days, and food whilst you watch the televised sport on those occasions will bring some people in. Probably on those occasions booking an table to dine is not needed most of the time but like any restaurant it needs to be an option.

However on a match day (certainly at the moment whilst people habits are set) i don't believe that many people go in there to eat, thus making the booking of tables pointless. Myself and friends probably spend £120+ prior to a match. More than a family of four eating in. So the club are shooting themselves in the foot. Don't get me wrong, we've managed to pre book a table on a few occasions (not tomorrow unfortunately) but i feel before a game, when capacity is already cut short due to upstairs being off limits, they should make it first come first served with perhaps a minimum amount of people (5/6 perhaps) allowed to occupy the booths. 

Personally speaking, i'd rather give my money to the club, the drinks are cheaper than most pubs, you get proper glasses, a good atmosphere and (when it works) a bloody big screen. But if people can't sit down people won't stay. They need to realise a football crowd 2 hours before kick off need to be catered for slightly differently to that of normal sports bar/restaurant. 

54 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

At the moment I much prefer the local pubs. The sports bar lacks, well anything sport related apart from a big screen. Bland and plastic.

If some sporting memorabilia was added to the walls then I think the aesthetic would change for the better.

I'm a tad torn between the Coopers and the Sports bar. As a SC&T member I can use upstairs in the Sports Bar but with the bar down stairs it's a pain in the arse everytime you want a refill. Upstairs is also an area for the WAGS which adds a little bit of decoration. It's almost impossible to find a seat but that's the same as the Coopers or other local pubs. 

The SC&T bar is temporary arrangement until the new stand opens and hopefully the new SC&T bar will ready for next season. 

I think I'll go back to old routine today. Coopers early on and then wander up to the Sports Bar nearer ko.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm a tad torn between the Coopers and the Sports bar. As a SC&T member I can use upstairs in the Sports Bar but with the bar down stairs it's a pain in the arse everytime you want a refill. Upstairs is also an area for the WAGS which adds a little bit of decoration. It's almost impossible to find a seat but that's the same as the Coopers or other local pubs. 

The SC&T bar is temporary arrangement until the new stand opens and hopefully the new SC&T bar will ready for next season. 

I think I'll go back to old routine today. Coopers early on and then wander up to the Sports Bar nearer ko.

Was just about to ask that question, so thanks for clearing that up.

This will obviously help with the seating issues next season, at the moment it's almost impossible to get a seat without booking.

I do like the fact you can have a pint in a proper glass, rather than those plastic efforts that they use on the concourse, which change shape every 3 seconds as you are holding them.

Ate in there on Monday night and the food was really good. Burger and chips was £8.95, which at first glance seemed a tad expensive, but the quality was certainly there.

The one thing they really need to look at though, is the glass partition on the top floor. Sitting down watching the big screen, there is a major sight line issue, as the top of the partition runs right through the centre of the screen. They'd be better off making it a couple of feet higher.

Archived