IGNORED

WHO SHOULD WE SIGN?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That'd be by me.  Was really impressed with him in the three games against Coventry last season. 

At the Ricoh, there was spell in the second half, during which they scored, where him and Barton (Adam not Joey) took real control of the game.

At home in the JPT he was again very effective as Coventry knocked it about really well in the first half, luckily without creating much.

And finally in the game we drew 0-0, he was one if the the better players on the pitch.

My only doubt is that when City were in their stride during each of those games, he didn't work quite so hard if the ball.  That could've been instruction, i.e. just find yourself some space for when we do have the ball.

He's 28, but I think would be a good addition to a young squad.  I think he could play in any of the current three's positions (Pack, Smith, Freeman) giving us flexibility.

Can't imagine he'd cost much either....2 year contract runs out this summer (source: Wikipedia)

Like O'Brien and if we are gonna have a punt on L1 players we could do a lot worse

You touch on his work rate off the ball Davefevs and having watched him a few times with interest I would totally agree with your comment - not sure he's that disciplined positionaly and thus you would have to consider where / how to play him

on what I've seen of him he would be most suited to Luke Freemans position and Luke or Jim OBrien it's Luke for me , although he's had a mixed season to date , ages and future potential being the real decider for me

So although I rate him it would ultimately be a no for me unless as cover for LF and then if that's the case you're saying Bobby Reid is not up to it 

Somebody who's watched O'Brien over numerous games might suggest he could do Packs job but on the amount I've seen I'm not sure that he's disciplined enough (positionaly)

7 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Adam Armstrong, Daniel Bentley and Bradley dack are all must buys tbh. All from lower league so value and wages not astronomical but all young and have quality to progress.

couple that with signing Moore, Bennett and baker on permanents, that would be good business.

Would also cancel the loan of cox and robinson and sign matt smith to compete with kodjia, wilbs and Agard as him and flint together at set pieces are destructive

Isn't Adam Armstrong a Newcastle player or am I getting him confused with someone else?

The biggest gaping hole in our squad before the season started was central midfield.

It still is!  We don't need new centre forwards, new wing-backs, new centre backs.  We simply need a good, experienced, pacey central midfielder.  9M can buy that!

I'd allow the "experienced" part to be give up if we can find a lower league (or French!) young gem.

If we don't recruit someone for midfield in January, I'd seriously look at Keith Burt's P45.

And yes, I'd rather spend 9M on the midfielder than a centre forward.

12 minutes ago, Chivs said:

The biggest gaping hole in our squad before the season started was central midfield.

It still is!  We don't need new centre forwards, new wing-backs, new centre backs.  We simply need a good, experienced, pacey central midfielder.  9M can buy that!

I'd allow the "experienced" part to be give up if we can find a lower league (or French!) young gem.

If we don't recruit someone for midfield in January, I'd seriously look at Keith Burt's P45.

And yes, I'd rather spend 9M on the midfielder than a centre forward.

Oh yes we do.

If its even remotely possible to still have 9m available then i wouldve thought we could be buying:

Hourrihane, Dack, Smith, Bennett, Baker and Bentley for less than that in total. 

Depends how we can persuade the players or not as SL seemed to indicate yesterday no wages were insurmountable over the summer and that it was simply not being able to get these over the line. 

Whilst those names are mainly L1 players i think that would seriously bolster the squad. 

What with SL saying we now have European, French and Spanish scouts, lets hope theres maybe a couple of 'Kodjia's' on the way in too. 

23 hours ago, swindon fan said:

He's been very good for us. Would imagine most fans would jump at the chance of swapping him for Kasim.

Doesn't this sum up the unpredictability of the game. Last season we were thinking we'd never have a chance of signing Kasim because bigger clubs would be after him - and we'd have paid you to have El-Abd!!

@BobBobSuperBob Good comments.  I think he would provide depth to our midfield.  You're right in what you say, but if we were to pick up an injury or suspension then he could come in....and who knows, make the position his.  He's good on the ball, plays with his head up and I think would benefit from playing with better posters than he's used to at Coventry.

I know Cotts has said we will only bring in players to improve the eleven, but I don't think we can necessarily bring those payers in, especially in Jan (sellers market).  We could do a lot worse IMHO.

18 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Some of JK's mates at Angers !

Who are doing really well in Ligue 1. I really feel it would help his integration if we had a French, or better, bilingual player in the squad. I watched him carefully yesterday; due to the language barrier he doesn't appear to be as close with his teammates. For example, at the end of the game he walks off much quicker than they do.

Thats not a criticism as it's inevitable due to language, so having someone bilingual would be a real asset I think.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That'd be by me.  Was really impressed with him in the three games against Coventry last season. 

At the Ricoh, there was spell in the second half, during which they scored, where him and Barton (Adam not Joey) took real control of the game.

At home in the JPT he was again very effective as Coventry knocked it about really well in the first half, luckily without creating much.

And finally in the game we drew 0-0, he was one if the the better players on the pitch.

My only doubt is that when City were in their stride during each of those games, he didn't work quite so hard if the ball.  That could've been instruction, i.e. just find yourself some space for when we do have the ball.

He's 28, but I think would be a good addition to a young squad.  I think he could play in any of the current three's positions (Pack, Smith, Freeman) giving us flexibility.

Can't imagine he'd cost much either....2 year contract runs out this summer (source: Wikipedia)

He caught my eye at the Ricoh as well and then I looked out for him in the 2 games at the gate. He is very good on the ball but is quite one paced. Jogs around a lot making himself available but I can see the same criticisms being thrown at him as they are at Pack e.g. The never passes forward myth.

Regarding your concern if that is the case then he's just gonna end up with sections of the crowd on his back ala Jet. If that episode has taught me anything it's that lots of fans regard work rate as more important than technical ability.

On 12/19/2015 at 14:48, jambodinho said:

We all knew about him from playing them 5 times last season and he'd be great competition for Freeman. Sam Morsy from Chesterfield, Jamie Allen from Rochdale, Matty Done from Sheffield Utd, Tom Bradshaw from Walsall, Daniel Bentley from Southend, Conor Washington and Marcus Maddison from Peterborough all seem to catch the headlines. When we signed Marvin Elliott many had never heard of him even though we'd played against him twice in league 1 the season before. What a signing he turned out to be in that first season in the championship. Maybe there is another diamond in the rough waiting for someone to take a chance on him. 

Many of those players may very well be playing the Championship next season with their respective clubs.

On 12/19/2015 at 16:46, GrahamC said:

Saw in the tabloids a few weeks ago that Kermorgant has just bought a new top of the range Porsche 911, he certainly didn't buy that on £2k a week, did he?

One of those ugly beetle fart machines are about £800-£1000 a month on lease... not exactly a dent for a 2k a weeker.

On 12/19/2015 at 20:31, pongo88 said:

"Who should we sign?" is only half of the question. The other important part is "when should we sign them?" If we sign players at the end of January, it could be the middle of February before they are match fit and / or integrated into the team. This could be far too late and we will be doomed. We need players to be signed at the beginning of the window, but I'm not confident that this will happen. 

Unless of course they are already regulars for their respective teams in which case one would think they are already fit. There is an argument, should we be looking at lower leaguers, that our only window is January at least for those who are coming up to the Championship with their clubs.

2 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Some of JK's mates at Angers !

Indeed and thereabouts and Spain.

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

SL thinks we need a GK, midfielder and a striker: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XawcfYS3Gj0. Defense is ok though...

-17 suggests otherwise; its not all Fieldings fault is it?

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Many of those players may very well be playing the Championship next season with their respective clubs.

One of those ugly beetle fart machines are about £800-£1000 a month on lease... not exactly a dent for a 2k a weeker.

Unless of course they are already regulars for their respective teams in which case one would think they are already fit. There is an argument, should we be looking at lower leaguers, that our only window is January at least for those who are coming up to the Championship with their clubs.

Indeed and thereabouts and Spain.

-17 suggests otherwise; its not all Fieldings fault is it?

Did Kermorgant came on as sub for Bournemouth yesterday? 

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Did Kermorgant came on as sub for Bournemouth yesterday? 

Yes.

I was being facetious when I mentioned £2k, by the way, he is apparently on £15k a week at "little" Bournemouth (you clearly don't get to have a wage bill that is around 170% of your turnover by paying only £2k a week).

if we needed a defender Lamine Kone at Lorient is a beast.

Goalkeeper Remy Riou at Nantes, technically very good, brave and commands the box.

Midfielders Alain Traore at Lorient (was on loan at Monaco), this guy really has it all when he is fully fit, but fitness has been a problem for several years.

Didier N’dong at Lorient young, raw but a real talent.

Striker Benjamin Moukandjo again at Lorient, maybe similar to Kodjia.

Famara Diedhiou at Sochaux (on loan at Clermont Foot) top ligue 2 goalscorer young, hungry and powerful. Sochaux are struggling in the same league, Clermont are 3rd (seems a strange loan) might need money relegated from ligue 1 the season before last.

Traore would be a risk because of fitness but would either be cheap or free, is in the last year of his contract, but 2/3 years before an injury at the African cup of nations he had the world at his feet with Arsenal sniffing around, can score spectacular goals.

N’dong and Moukandjo were only signed this season and would cost a bit I suspect, but Lorient are definitely a selling club.

Riou is the Nantes captain, I am unsure of his contract status but suspect he may have be out of contract in the summer or have a year left.

Lorient do have some real talent on their books Raphael Guerrireo is a great young Portuguese left back who along with Moukandjo Sunderland have been sniffing around, if we wanted an older midfielder Walid Mesloub might fit the bill.

6 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

SL thinks we need a GK, midfielder and a strikerhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XawcfYS3Gj0. Defense is ok though...

I reckon a blind dog could work that one out !! The vast majority of our defensive problems arise from our midfield being weak, with the exception of Smith, most weeks. Derby was a perfect example of a decent Manager knowing where our problems lie and exposing them ruthlessly.

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Goalkeeper Remy Riou at Nantes, technically very good, brave and commands the box.

Midfielders Alain Traore at Lorient (was on loan at Monaco), this guy really has it all when he is fully fit, but fitness has been a problem for several years.

Famara Diedhiou at Sochaux (on loan at Clermont Foot) top ligue 2 goalscorer young, hungry and powerful. Sochaux are struggling in the same league, Clermont are 3rd (seems a strange loan) might need money relegated from ligue 1 the season before last.

Traore would be a risk because of fitness but would either be cheap or free, is in the last year of his contract, but 2/3 years before an injury at the African cup of nations he had the world at his feet with Arsenal sniffing around, can score spectacular goals.

N’dong and Moukandjo were only signed this season and would cost a bit I suspect, but Lorient are definitely a selling club.

Riou is the Nantes captain, I am unsure of his contract status but suspect he may have be out of contract in the summer or have a year left.

Lorient do have some real talent on their books Raphael Guerrireo is a great young Portuguese left back who along with Moukandjo Sunderland have been sniffing around, if we wanted an older midfielder Walid Mesloub might fit the bill.

Email these to the club Es. 

I personally think we're lacking creativity in the wide areas of the team, we haven't got an out and out winger who can beat his man. Bennett and Williams aren't quick enough and are not natural wingers! A player like Albert would be ideal.

But I've seen Wigan's Yanic Wildschut a few times on Sky and the lad looks class. On loan from Boro I think?

Only problem is,  would he fit into our formation because he's an attacking winger by trade. We could play him in the middle three maybe? 

36 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I personally think we're lacking creativity in the wide areas of the team, we haven't got an out and out winger who can beat his man. Bennett and Williams aren't quick enough and are not natural wingers! A player like Albert would be ideal.

But I've seen Wigan's Yanic Wildschut a few times on Sky and the lad looks class. On loan from Boro I think?

Only problem is,  would he fit into our formation because he's an attacking winger by trade. We could play him in the middle three maybe? 

Bennett is quick and played a winger basically his entire career. What he lacks is the creativity you mention that players like Adomah, Zaha, Bolasie, Mahrez etc all have - he's much more of a 'traditional' winger in that respect; or atleast that's how he's being instructed to play, I've only ever watched him play for us where he's just been a wingback. 

I agree though, we need more players that can run at players and take risks, there must be plenty of these abroad too we can look at relatively cheaply.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bennett is quick and played a winger basically his entire career. What he lacks is the creativity you mention that players like Adomah, Zaha, Bolasie, Mahrez etc all have - he's much more of a 'traditional' winger in that respect; or atleast that's how he's being instructed to play, I've only ever watched him play for us where he's just been a wingback. 

I agree though, we need more players that can run at players and take risks, there must be plenty of these abroad too we can look at relatively cheaply.

Bennett Little Bryan Burns Williams are a sound five. Although finding a left sided centre back could be important in the summer. One who is comfortable on the ball, a left footed Ayling would be perfect. 

8 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Maybe we should just buy Lorient then and have them as our feeder club. Stranger things have happened.

They are of course related to our Celtic brethren of Cornwall who have a fierce strong headed independence.. good traits for footballers and Brittany is a hot bed of Ligue 1 football talent with 4 teams, Guingamp, Rennes, Nantes and Lorient. 

In fact I would not be surprised if the region is a frequent stop off for our French scout(s).

People have (rightfully) mentioned Alan Armstrong at Coventry, due to his form this season, but if we were going down the route of young forwards with promise, I'd certainly say Tom Nichols of Exeter is worth a look.

Shown this year and last that he has goals in him, and scores them for a team that can't claim to be the most creative either.  Still only just 22, and relatively local, plus will not cost or be on money that will be anywhere close to breaking our wage structure.  

Would probably be one for the future though, and right now I'd be hoping our focus would be more on bolstering our options in the middle of the park.

As they say; all things fall apart if the centre will not hold, and despite the efforts of Korey, Luke and Marlon, only really having Bobby Reid to step in if we need a chance doesn't look great.

13 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Quality knowledge.

Let's hope we do bring in another French player next month.

9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Maybe we should just buy Lorient then and have them as our feeder club. Stranger things have happened.

They are of course related to our Celtic brethren of Cornwall who have a fierce strong headed independence.. good traits for footballers and Brittany is a hot bed of Ligue 1 football talent with 4 teams, Guingamp, Rennes, Nantes and Lorient. 

In fact I would not be surprised if the region is a frequent stop off for our French scout(s).

Nantes is no longer in Brittany it's in Loire Atlantique.

Brittany as a region is split into 4 departments, ille et Villaine = Rennes less than 1 hour away, Cotes d'armor = Guingamp just over 1 hour away, Morbihan = Lorient 45 minutes away all at present in ligue 1, Brest a bout 3 hours away who were in ligue 1 until 2 years ago are now in ligue 2 are from the Finestere department.

Nantes is about an hour away, Angers is just over an hour, Caen about 2 hours and Bordeaux about 3 hours from where I live.

I have to say Kodjia was off of the radar for some reason for ligue 1 teams, although I suspect knowing how Lorient operate, had Jordan Ayew not engineered a late transfer to Villa at which time he had signed for us, he would almost certainly have been a sort of player they might have looked at, Moukandjo was brought in as a replacement.

Tom Bradshaw could be a little pricey cause he's banging them in left right and centre at the moment, maybe only £1'million or a little more, pricey for a non proven Championship striker I don't know? Could be worth the risk though. Also without reverting to the past what's Matt Smith doing at Fulham these days?

50 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Tom Bradshaw could be a little pricey cause he's banging them in left right and centre at the moment, maybe only £1'million or a little more, pricey for a non proven Championship striker I don't know? Could be worth the risk though. Also without reverting to the past what's Matt Smith doing at Fulham these days?

Not so, yes he has scored a few but he has been injured for 3 weeks, at least his 2nd significant injury already this season.

5 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

If Bradshaw goes anywhere it will probably be Brentford provided he meets the moneyball criteria. I expect Smith will want him and they haven`t exactly got loads of strikers on the books.

41 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I see Lamine Kone is already being linked with Premiership clubs so we can scratch him off the list.

Not so, Kone has been linked to premiership clubs loads of time, as far as i'm aware no bids ever made.

Traore linked to Arsenal before his injury woes.

Moukandjo and Guerrireo have been linked to Sunderland.

Means nothing without a bid, acceptance of that bid and acceptance by the player, as Kodjia proved.

Matt Smith must play - Dembele/McCormack is like 1 forward
« on: Today at 06:03:04 PM »
I cannot for the life of me understand what successive managers seem to have against Matt Smith.

He is a veritable COLOSUS at 6 feet 8 inches, sturdily built and knows how to use his frame considerably, but Stuart Gray is the latest Fulham coach to leave him on the bench.

It was alarming, 2-1 down to lowly Notlob when Gray preferred the "headless" Cauley Woodrow when Fulham needed a striker who could frighten the opposition.  This was also remarked upon by "Gentleman Jim".

Mousa Dembele only gives 50% these days, a wantaway striker waiting for the January transfer window.  He has talent and pace but what he actually shows is nowhere near the hype he's received from media circles touting him.  One wonders if it's gone to his head and he believes he doesn't have to try anymore.

Ross McCormack is like an attacking midfielder to me, drifting all around and very deep at times.  When those two are paired it's as though Fulham are playing a 1 forward system in practise rather than what it appears to Gray on paper.

As someone else on this forum pointed out, Fulham need to put pressure on their defence, not allow them to steadily build an attack which puts even greater burden on Stearman and Burns/Ream.

I would opt for all three forwards in truth, start on one's front foot rather than wait to be a goal behind before we respond positively.

Also Ryan Fredericks must start - he is the fastest footballer in the lower leagues and a great attacking full (wing) back.  

We do have the team to do far better than our position shows, the question is when Stuart Gray will see what is staring him in the face.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:05:03 PM by Nick Bateman »     Logged
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"
Neil D
Graham Leggat

Re: Matt Smith must play - Dembele/McCormack is like 1 forward
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:19:00 PM »
I don't disagree with your assessment of Dembele - we need to start preparing for post-Dembele Fulham by getting valuable game time for Woodrow and Smith.  I also favour the latter but, when I asked myself this same question on Saturday afternoon (why isn't Smith on?), I decided it was because we weren't making a lot of progress on the wings.  Smith is at his most lethal when given the opportunity for crosses and most of our attacks were coming through the middle where he is less effective.
H4usuallysitting
Legend

Re: Matt Smith must play - Dembele/McCormack is like 1 forward
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:33:00 PM »
If we're defending from the front, then we should start Cayley with Ross

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is Ian Henderson at Rochdale too old? 40 odd goals in around 100 games...he's played up front, in midfield and as a winger.

A little versatility coupled with a decent scoring record never harmed anyone!

The other fella, Vincenti, is he still there. Impressed me at AG last season, should have had three.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep he's still there, he's scored 30 odd goals in 90 games, good shout!

I can only think that his performance against us was higher than his normal level otherwise I'm amazed he's still there. He was excellent against us, especially at their place.

3 minutes ago, ciderup said:

I can only think that his performance against us was higher than his normal level otherwise I'm amazed he's still there. He was excellent against us, especially at their place.

He obviously raised his game against the 'massive club' !!!!

That always makes me chuckle, the sad gas reckon we all think we're a massive club but I don't know anyone amongst our fans who thinks that although I obviously don't know all our fans personally! 

Still, they took our insulting nickname for them and claimed it as their own and even print it on merchandise! Wahey!

Perhaps we should rename ourselves 'The South Bristol Massive' just to annoy 'em!

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He obviously raised his game against the 'massive club' !!!!

That always makes me chuckle, the sad gas reckon we all think we're a massive club but I don't know anyone amongst our fans who thinks that although I obviously don't know all our fans personally! 

Still, they took our insulting nickname for them and claimed it as their own and even print it on merchandise! Wahey!

Perhaps we should rename ourselves 'The South Bristol Massive' just to annoy 'em!

They know their place even if some won't admit it and their jealousy must be gnawing away at them seeing the likes of Kodjia arriving and the stunning West stand rising.  I had a few beers with a couple of, usually, decent sags at the weekend and even they seem to think our relegation and their promotion are nailed on. I did mention did they really want to play us and they went very, very quiet!

As for Vincenti, he would cost a few quid, no doubt, and at 29 he wouldn't really fit SL's criteria plus as an attacking midfielder, he's not really what we need IMHO. Good player regardless.

2 minutes ago, ciderup said:

They know their place even if some won't admit it and their jealousy must be gnawing away at them seeing the likes of Kodjia arriving and the stunning West stand rising.  I had a few beers with a couple of, usually, decent sags at the weekend and even they seem to think our relegation and their promotion are nailed on. I did mention did they really want to play us and they went very, very quiet!

As for Vincenti, he would cost a few quid, no doubt, and at 29 he wouldn't really fit SL's criteria plus as an attacking midfielder, he's not really what we need IMHO. Good player regardless.

I work with a few (what I call) 'reasonable gas' - they totally accept that they are a fourth div club with a not too bright future and we are light years ahead of them, but they still travel all over the country following their club so fair play.

The delusional ones are hilarious and so easy to wind up!

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is Ian Henderson at Rochdale too old? 40 odd goals in around 100 games...he's played up front, in midfield and as a winger.

A little versatility coupled with a decent scoring record never harmed anyone!

He's good technically too, but I'm not sure he's what we need up front presently.

56 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

My first choice midfielder from league 1 would be Conor Hourihane though.

I really think we need to be shopping in the championship ...if wages are not a problem then let's try for young championship players. Trouble is the names being mentioned from league 1 are un proven and possibly not good enough. And if they are potentially good enough, we may have to wait months for them to get use to the league. We bought the best players from league one 2 years ago and people moaning now.... Trouble is we are now a championship club and need to stop shopping at aldi for the reason that it's cheap .

1 hour ago, robin4ever said:

I really think we need to be shopping in the championship ...if wages are not a problem then let's try for young championship players. Trouble is the names being mentioned from league 1 are un proven and possibly not good enough. And if they are potentially good enough, we may have to wait months for them to get use to the league. We bought the best players from league one 2 years ago and people moaning now.... Trouble is we are now a championship club and need to stop shopping at aldi for the reason that it's cheap .

What?? By young championship clubs do you mean the very best (Will Hughes, Iorfa, Afobe) or unproven ones (equivalent of Burns here for example) - proven ones will cost millions and won't move and unproven ones are just as unproven as league one players you say we shouldn't be targeting!

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Interesting that Remi Garde is openly saying he wants to sell all the players who aren't playing. Libor Kozak would be a lovely partner for Kodjia. I've no idea what sort of wages he's on though. 

Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia can apparently leave. Either of them would provide experience and with N'Zogbia the 'French Connection'.

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia can apparently leave. Either of them would provide experience and with N'Zogbia the 'French Connection'.

He's on over 60k and agbonlahor a similar amount. IMO we shouldn't go for either

image.thumb.png.16eb12577cd30118556800eb

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Steve Sidwell been made available for permanent move by Stoke - 6 months left on his contract

Would take him on loan with a possible view to permanent but not sure I'd buy him now

In theory just the sort of experienced head in middle of park who can help us manage a game

It'll depend on how much he's still got in his legs. 

18 hours ago, robin4ever said:

We've done that before...there are a plethora of Championship players, going through the motions, on very good wages, doing the rounds, going from Club to Club...

The Clubs blueprint, to buy under 24's with potential, and have a few players of experience like Wilbs and Wade is a good one imho.

We need young hungry players who wish to develop. Players who will increase in value...who we can either sell on for profit...or keep as they improve.

Having a team full of experienced 28/29 yo's is a recipe for disaster in the long term.

14 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

He's on over 60k and agbonlahor a similar amount. IMO we shouldn't go for either

image.thumb.png.16eb12577cd30118556800eb

It'll depend on how much he's still got in his legs. 

I was going to edit my post and put in "without considering wages" but decided not to as thought that would be obvious! 

Of course they'd be on good money, like Baker is; and Kozak probably is too.

To come here and are both on 60k they'd have to take a 66% pay cut minimum but are two players that would definitely improve us.

Sidwell too, as mentioned above. Would improve our midfield no end.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

We've done that before...there are a plethora of Championship players, going through the motions, on very good wages, doing the rounds, going from Club to Club...

The Clubs blueprint, to buy under 24's with potential, and have a few players of experience like Wilbs and Wade is a good one imho.

We need young hungry players who wish to develop. Players who will increase in value...who we can either sell on for profit...or keep as they improve.

Having a team full of experienced 28/29 yo's is a recipe for disaster in the long term.

I think you're right, and if we do bring in the odd experienced player, they aren't sat here on big wages on a 3 or 4 year contract.

Going back to Wade, didn't we get him on loan in second half of 13/14, then offer him a year contract.  

That kind of deal is great for us as a club, but you won't always attract the right player with that short term a deal, when a lot are looking for that final deal to set them up.

Archived