IGNORED

WHO SHOULD WE SIGN?

22 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

It'll depend on how much he's still got in his legs. 

agree totally - although would have always viewed him as a ball winning sitting midfielder rather than a box to box

Would be ideal alongside Korey , no disrespect to Marlon but he should in theory be a big improvement in there and bring experience

Wouldnt have a clue what he's on and havnt seen him play for a while so difficult to judge

Coming from Stoke you'd have to think he would be 'do-able' wages wise if SC wanted him

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you're right, and if we do bring in the odd experienced player, they aren't sat here on big wages on a 3 or 4 year contract.

Going back to Wade, didn't we get him on loan in second half of 13/14, then offer him a year contract.  

That kind of deal is great for us as a club, but you won't always attract the right player with that short term a deal, when a lot are looking for that final deal to set them up.

Indeed...finding right player is essential.

I think SC has been very astute at finding that type of player.

Wilbs and Wade, apart from good players, also have the right attitude to compliment the younger players.

He's not so old...but he seems to have the right attitude and older head on his shoulders...but Matt Smith would be ideal to replace Wilbs up front with Kodijia imho. Although his injury is one of concern. In saying that...he would if given a 3 year contract most likely decrease in value.

Finding the right player, of that ilk...again...is easier said than done.

Largely agree worth both  both you and DaveFevs, Spud 

but the dilemma is the 

long term plan v short term action (survival in Champ)

IF we are relying on our signings in January to make an impact and improve us and help us to safety I'd suggest it's experience we want right now or a young proven player who can hit the ground running (and I'm not sure who of that ilk we could get)

If I was SC I'd want to be totally sure in my own mind that if a sign a young promising player from L1 for example, that they are ready to pretty quickly contributing and can cope and deliver in Championship ((Would say this also applies to young loanees from premier with an exception maybe for a young striker)

I know experienced doesn't fit in with our plan which I'm behind but it also depends what your priority right now

Solution if possible I'd suggest is experience on loan if we can with a permanent signing of U24 if they can make a immediate improvement or we can accept and can afford that they may not deliver this season

Dont think we can afford too many gambles and possible flops in January , loan or permanent (We all know every signing is a gamble to some degree) - think we need to be getting our calls right this time 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wilbs and Wade, apart from good players, also have the right attitude to compliment the younger players.

He's not so old...but he seems to have the right attitude and older head on his shoulders...but Matt Smith would be ideal to replace Wilbs up front with Kodijia imho. Although his injury is one of concern. In saying that...he would if given a 3 year contract most likely decrease in value.

it is an impossibility that every player signed will actually increase in value and I also suspect that if at sometime the dream of prem football comes to fruition, would being a selling club be viable?.

and as far as I am aware Smith has had the one injury since leaving us and it was quite a long term injury.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Matt Smith would def be on my list

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Largely agree worth both  both you and DaveFevs, Spud 

but the dilemma is the 

long term plan v short term action (survival in Champ)

IF we are relying on our signings in January to make an impact and improve us and help us to safety I'd suggest it's experience we want right now or a young proven player who can hit the ground running (and I'm not sure who of that ilk we could get)

If I was SC I'd want to be totally sure in my own mind that if a sign a young promising player from L1 for example, that they are ready to pretty quickly contributing and can cope and deliver in Championship ((Would say this also applies to young loanees from premier with an exception maybe for a young striker)

I know experienced doesn't fit in with our plan which I'm behind but it also depends what your priority right now

Solution if possible I'd suggest is experience on loan if we can with a permanent signing of U24 if they can make a immediate improvement or we can accept and can afford that they may not deliver this season

Dont think we can afford too many gambles and possible flops in January , loan or permanent (We all know every signing is a gamble to some degree) - think we need to be getting our calls right this time 

We can only hope SC has lined up the right type of players in January...like he did in the past with Matt and Wade.

I believe we are limiting our options, by having to find players that will also fit in with our style of play. It's not widely used and takes a little getting used to.

Any new player will take time to get used to it.

January is a massive month for us. You are spot on mate.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it is an impossibility that every player signed will actually increase in value and I also suspect that if at sometime the dream of prem football comes to fruition, would being a selling club be viable?.

and as far as I am aware Smith has had the one injury since leaving us and it was quite a long term injury.

True indeed...but the Clubs philosophy is a good one.

Get 4/5 years out of a player....then sell on at his highest worth. That final 4 years they usually decrease in value. It's Wengers strategy as well.

Injuries to footballers is always an unknown part of the game...massive gamble.

I don't know why I'm not convinced by Matt Smith at Championship level.  His record for Leeds and Fulham is perfectly decent, and his record for us in the league below would probably be one that would prompt people to think he's worth a good look at.

Is it a bit of snobbery about the route he took to get the Championship?

Is it that he's a big lump of a player?

Is it that I don't think we played such attractive football with him in the team last season? (Was it more the Smith/JET combo....what would a Smith/Kodjia combo be like)

Is it that he is the right player, but the price is too much?  (Weren't we quoted £3m before he even started scoring for us?)

I don't know?  I think the last point is the crucial one for me...how much would be cost.  £1m, I'd say go for it...but I suspect Fulham may want a lot more?  I think £1m on Smith would be much better business than £1m on Bradshaw.

As a result, my thoughts are more, could we persuade Kyle Lafferty?  If Afobe goes to Norwich could that help?  Wouldn't he want to play regularly ahead of the Euros?

I am talking myself round to Matt Smith though being the "Wilbs minus 10 years" model.  By the time the window opens, I might be completely convinced.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don't know why I'm not convinced by Matt Smith at Championship level.  His record for Leeds and Fulham is perfectly decent, and his record for us in the league below would probably be one that would prompt people to think he's worth a good look at.

Is it that I don't think we played such attractive football with him in the team last season? (Was it more the Smith/JET combo....what would a Smith/Kodjia combo be like)

Is it that he is the right player, but the price is too much?  (Weren't we quoted £3m before he even started scoring for us?)

I don't know?  I think the last point is the crucial one for me...how much would be cost.  £1m, I'd say go for it...but I suspect Fulham may want a lot more?  I think £1m on Smith would be much better business than £1m on Bradshaw.

As a result, my thoughts are more, could we persuade Kyle Lafferty?  If Afobe goes to Norwich could that help?  Wouldn't he want to play regularly ahead of the Euros?

I am talking myself round to Matt Smith though being the "Wilbs minus 10 years" model.  By the time the window opens, I might be completely convinced.

He wouldn't be my choice either but can't think of many realistic targetmen, big bonus is he knows the club already and how we play.

Another positive is set plays; I don't have the stats but I'm sure his arrival coincided with Flint being more prolific. I reckon this is because you've suddenly got two lanky gits to mark instead of just one. Helps us defensively from set plays too. Goals like that will be crucial, if we can score 20% more goals from free kicks and corners due to Smith from January it may well provide 6/9 more points by itself.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the very fact that at times he doesn't look like a Championship player is actually a plus for me Dave

Hes unusual, a real unusual player in this day and age - how many big target men can we name between us currently in a side 

I know the game has changed and the ideal 'target man' is now a Drogba / Benteke type, far more mobile than Matt Smith but we are talking a different league in terms of fees wages and ability

I still think that if used correctly Matt Smith can cause sides a real problem and one they don't see much off

Chris Martin at Derby has decent technique , slightly better than MS but also has no pace and he copes fine in Champ

(Smith prob better in the air)

Also think JK might,like Matt Smith if he can learn to play off him

Added bonus would be he fans like him already and he seems to like the club and definitely seems to get on with the current squad so no settling in needed

I agree about the price but unless we have something well researched and lined up He'd definitely be high in my thoughts

First football rumours submission of the Jan window for us..

22 Dec 2015 06:57:58
Bristol City January Transfer Targets

Bradley Dack of Gillingham

Tom Bradshaw of Walsall

Matty Taylor of Bristol Rovers

Nathan Baker of Aston Villa (already on loan) 

Yaser Kasim of Swindon Town 

Conor Washington of Peterborough Utd

Josh Windass of Accrington Stanley.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

First football rumours submission of the Jan window for us..

22 Dec 2015 06:57:58
Bristol City January Transfer Targets

Bradley Dack of Gillingham

Tom Bradshaw of Walsall

Matty Taylor of Bristol Rovers

Nathan Baker of Aston Villa (already on loan) 

Yaser Kasim of Swindon Town 

Conor Washington of Peterborough Utd

Josh Windass of Accrington Stanley.

Where that from PF ?

Sounds like somebody who's read this thread !!!!!!!

Whoever we throw around bet there's one or two or more we don't think of !

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Where that from PF ?

Sounds like somebody who's read this thread !!!!!!!

Whoever we throw around bet there's one or two or more we don't think of !

Football Rumours.com - basically a bit of an infamous site because anyone can sign up and post rubbish! A few on that list I hope we're looking at though

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just looking at the clubs around us or in financial trouble, could we pick up the likes of:

- Nahki Wells (Hudds)

- Mark Davies (Bolton)

?????? 

In a full Championship season Wells got just 11 last year, this season he has the scored the same number of goals as Wilbraham....

He really isn't that good.

Davies is a decent player but has a horrible injury record.

Finding a decent central midfielder is very tough, in the past only Wade (admittedly short term), Hartley and arguably Tinnion (and then one level down) have dictated play from the middle of the pitch for us, though Marv, a much less technical player, also did so in a completely different way.

Having got to the halfway point with a very inexperienced trio giving it their best midfield has to be a top priority next month no matter how tricky it proves.

Fair points @GrahamC - I think it just goes to show there isn't much about unless we start looking a more pricey options or Prem loans.  Wells might not be cheap either.

I don't this is gonna be an easy window either.  Then again I don't think we need more than 3/4.  A goalkeeper, a midfielder or two and a striker.

Guest wheatus59
On 19 December 2015 at 10:39, Bar BS3 said:

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested Iberhe from Carlisle. 

Im not saying should sign him, but he's doing very well yet not been mentioned. 

Isn't he around 45 ?

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Interesting that Remi Garde is openly saying he wants to sell all the players who aren't playing. Libor Kozak would be a lovely partner for Kodjia. I've no idea what sort of wages he's on though. 

Where does that leave Nathan Baker do you think? Would he be one who could go?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

True indeed...but the Clubs philosophy is a good one.

Get 4/5 years out of a player....then sell on at his highest worth. That final 4 years they usually decrease in value. It's Wengers strategy as well.

Injuries to footballers is always an unknown part of the game...massive gamble.

of course it is a great philosophy but is an imprecise science, because you cannot predict what is around the corner in football, for instance how can we be sure that Joe Bryan didn't hit his peak last season? (that is not a prophecy by the way) some player lose their way or go stale like Cole  Skuse.

35 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

of course it is a great philosophy but is an imprecise science, because you cannot predict what is around the corner in football, for instance how can we be sure that Joe Bryan didn't hit his peak last season? (that is not a prophecy by the way) some player lose their way or go stale like Cole  Skuse.

Agreed...It's all about making an educated and informed decision...but anything can happen like you say.

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

A bid for Famara Diedhiou maybe ? Leading scorer French L2, 23 years old Sengalese , 17 goals, and Italian/Brazil midfielder Gustavo Campanharo also 23 2 goals 7 assists . I am pretty sure after our one excellent transfer success of the summer are looking hard at French L2. 

Always surprises me how these French teams unearth such players....Good Scouting network and giving players a chance.

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Having lived in Clermont, we have a good location to offer him 

As I said earlier in the thread, this guy is I believe on loan from Sochaux, which seems like a strange loan, Clermont are 3rd and Sochaux are struggling in ligue 2, but having dropped out of the top flight 2 seasons ago Sochaux might be in need of a bob or two.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

As I said earlier in the thread, this guy is I believe on loan from Sochaux, which seems like a strange loan, Clermont are 3rd and Sochaux are struggling in ligue 2, but having dropped out of the top flight 2 seasons ago Sochaux might be in need of a bob or two.

Well if the video is anything to go by, he looks a real talent and a good finisher...

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Could he be on loan there with a view to them buying him in January if Sochaux do need the dosh?

Given his imminent participation in the Euros, you would have thought Kyle Lafferty will be going out on loan as he isn't getting a game at Norwich. As he would need to be in decent nick for the finals, it's a no brainer  for me IF we could get him.

From that video,  Diedhiou looks some player!

17 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Given his imminent participation in the Euros, you would have thought Kyle Lafferty will be going out on loan as he isn't getting a game at Norwich. As he would need to be in decent nick for the finals, it's a no brainer  for me IF we could get him.

From that video,  Diedhiou looks some player!

Re Diedhiou....show him Bordeaux Quay, that'll make him feel at home!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Re Diedhiou....show him Bordeaux Quay, that'll make him feel at home!

My Sunday morning haunt...also seems a fav of Carol Vorderman and Boy George the major. Not seen our Jonny Kodijia there yet though.

Could see any Spanish signings settling in Bristol now though...loads here...and Pata Negra is a mighty fine Tapas bar. ;-)

Archived