IGNORED

simon cox.... im sorry!

Spoons

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think of the 'media team' as being important people at the club all, and there's no reason for them to have any particular inside information.

The media team is an integral and important part of any organisation who will know everything that is going on so they can prepare both proactive and reactive external messaging on all issues affecting the organisation and its stakeholders. So they will definitely be privy to all 'inside information.'

Two seasons ago SC used this window to keep us up, he has to do the same again if we're going to progress as a team..

The Gashead in the Sun yesterday already has us relegated and themselves promoted, laugh my head off if they messed it up...

7 hours ago, rockinredrobin said:

Was told this afternoon by somebody who works for BCFC that Cox came overweight and unfit butbas SC and KB both had worked with him believed they could get him fit and firing it became apparent that they couldnt and he lacked the necessary drive to get himself fit enough hence he goes -nothing more to it than that

This sounds to me like by far the most likely explanation to me. Unfortunately people would rather believe something that gives them another stick with which to beat the club/manager.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Simon Cox has an average of 7 goals per season in the last 3 Championship seasons.

21 goals in 110 games. Goal ratio less than 1:5.

So if he had played 21 games for us he might have scored 4 goals.

He's not a great finisher at this level by any stretch of the imagination.

You over rate him, hugely.

So the best record of any of the strikers at the club then

7 hours ago, rockinredrobin said:

Was told this afternoon by somebody who works for BCFC that Cox came overweight and unfit butbas SC and KB both had worked with him believed they could get him fit and firing it became apparent that they couldnt and he lacked the necessary drive to get himself fit enough hence he goes -nothing more to it than that

Yeah, because a player on the verge of going to a major international tournament this summer isn't looking to get himself fit and in the squad for the Euro's

good one

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think of the 'media team' as being important people at the club all, and there's no reason for them to have any particular inside information.

The media team are with the players every day, and will be friendlier with some more then others

off course the could be privy to this information, or indeed opinion 

12 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I really hate this

Somebody apologising on behalf of others

Its not our fault the way he has been treated so no need for us fans to apologise

Exactly and its not like he wasn't paid so why apologise perhaps he liked the fact he was getting paid for doing nothing .

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This sounds to me like by far the most likely explanation to me. Unfortunately people would rather believe something that gives them another stick with which to beat the club/manager.

That's interesting - not sure if I'm reassured by that or not. I'd hate for us to be in a situation where we bring in players the manager doesn't want as that never ends well.

On the other hand though, surely it's a huge risk and pretty negligent to bring in a player we knew wasn't ready for games when we desperately needed some quality and experience in the squad.

Simon cox is a player who is on verge of getting picked to represent his national team in euro 2016. To say he is/was unfit is laughable. He might have lacked match sharpness but you only get that from playing. He wanted to come here and score goals to cement place in Ireland squad. Unfortunately we didn't give him chance. Now we move on and hope we get some January signings Tha can keep us up.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Simon cox is a player who is on verge of getting picked to represent his national team in euro 2016. To say he is/was unfit is laughable. He might have lacked match sharpness but you only get that from playing. He wanted to come here and score goals to cement place in Ireland squad. Unfortunately we didn't give him chance. Now we move on and hope we get some January signings Tha can keep us up.

What says he's on the verge of going to Euro 2016? Not played an international since June 2014. 

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

How do you know anything about his fitness? Just because he's played for Ireland in the past doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Gazza played in Euro 96 on a diet of alcohol and kebabs from what I could tell.

Regardless of what has been, it will be interesting to see what happens now Cox has gone back to Reading; he's never played for McDermott, who has already made noises about not having the funds to sign many.

So, if he is fit, and has the quality and desire people are saying he does, he'll likely appear for them, or indeed get moved on, and then we can see how he does when given games.

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How do you know anything about his fitness? Just because he's played for Ireland in the past doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Gazza played in Euro 96 on a diet of alcohol and kebabs from what I could tell.

gazza wasn't a bad player though was he! Look I'm over debating Simon cox. Time to move on.

and I'm.not comparing cox to gazza. Simon cox isn't worthy of lacing gazzas boots!

Simon Cox was not fit, when he did come on he was leggy and overweight. Begs the question why he was brought in, but I suspect it was to make up the numbers as Agard is not fit and lots of work was being done by Wilbs and Kodja. Cox will go back to Reading and will probably warm the bench again until another loan move.  The building of the squad has been shambolic such that we have had to bring in makeweights just to give us numbers. That, I am afraid is the responsibility of the Board and the Director of Football. Cannot keep blaming the manager when he does not have control and plainly he does not. 

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

What says he's on the verge of going to Euro 2016? Not played an international since June 2014. 

because he was picked in a 39 man squad for euro play offs. Didn't make the 30 but if martin o Neil picks him in that squad he is in his thinking for the euros. Surely you understand that. If he has a good 2nd half of the season score a few goals hes got a decent chance.

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

because he was picked in a 39 man squad for euro play offs. Didn't make the 30 but if martin o Neil picks him in that squad he is in his thinking for the euros. Surely you understand that. If he has a good 2nd half of the season score a few goals hes got a decent chance.

Your quote suggested he was close and "on the verge".

Not making the 30 suggests he isn't. Not featuring at all since June 2014 suggests he isn't.

There were 5 keepers in the 39, hard to suggest the 5th keeper is anywhere near selection.

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Your quote suggested he was close and "on the verge".

Not making the 30 suggests he isn't. Not featuring at all since June 2014 suggests he isn't.

There were 5 keepers in the 39, hard to suggest the 5th keeper is anywhere near selection.

are you SC in disguise?? You seem like you wanted him to fail just as much as SC. Maybe you could be caretaker after SC gets the sack after the Middlesbrough game!

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

are you SC in disguise?? You seem like you wanted him to fail just as much as SC. Maybe you could be caretaker after SC gets the sack after the Middlesbrough game!

Er.... what?

No, I'm not SC. No, I didn't "want him to fail". Just looking at the facts (no game since June 2014 says a lot in my opinion) and establishing my own opinion. I have mine, you have yours. 

Attack the post, not the poster. 

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Er.... what?

No, I'm not SC. No, I didn't "want him to fail". Just looking at the facts (no game since June 2014 says a lot in my opinion) and establishing my own opinion. I have mine, you have yours. 

Attack the post, not the poster. 

we will agree to disagree!!

Personally I don't see how loaning a player in and not playing him is any more disrespectful than buying and not playing them. Some signings work out, some don't.

People saying that clubs won't loan us players? With players like Cox it is usually as the clubs don't want to be paying all their wages when they are not starting for them. I'm not convinced reading will be too bothered if he was starting for us or not. Especially as we are competing against them- it's not like he is a youngster after minutes for experience. 

Again I don't know. but maybe Robinson just isn't good enough for this level. Maybe he was always out partying with grealish to often for cotts likening. Why does it have to be a conspiracy? 

However then look at our successful loans. Matt Smith showed up here unfit. He left with sky high confidence, fully fit and scored goals that lifted Fulham away from danger. Bennett is doing well and Baker has been doing really well apart from a daft sending off.

Signing any player is a gamble as you can't 100 % know if it will work out.  I'm not saying that the rumours aren't true but how come when a player doesn't work out here this place goes into meltdown when the reason could be as simple as the gamble didn't pay off.

2 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Personally I don't see how loaning a player in and not playing him is any more disrespectful than buying and not playing them. Some signings work out, some don't.

People saying that clubs won't loan us players? With players like Cox it is usually as the clubs don't want to be paying all their wages when they are not starting for them. I'm not convinced reading will be too bothered if he was starting for us or not. Especially as we are competing against them- it's not like he is a youngster after minutes for experience. 

Again I don't know. but maybe Robinson just isn't good enough for this level. Maybe he was always out partying with grealish to often for cotts likening. Why does it have to be a conspiracy? 

However then look at our successful loans. Matt Smith showed up here unfit. He left with sky high confidence, fully fit and scored goals that lifted Fulham away from danger. Bennett is doing well and Baker has been doing really well apart from a daft sending off.

Signing any player is a gamble as you can't 100 % know if it will work out.  I'm not saying that the rumours aren't true but how come when a player doesn't work out here this place goes into meltdown when the reason could be as simple as the gamble didn't pay off.

in my opinion when we are in bottom 3 playing poorly and struggling to put the ball in the net its not right we've got a decent striker on the bench who played aprox 40 mins in 23ish games. Doesn't matter if loan or permanent signing still deserve a chance especially in our situation

18 hours ago, Spoons said:

_

16 hours ago, OddBallJim said:
15 hours ago, Spoons said:
4 hours ago, Spoons said:

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Spoons, still interested to see your observations on post #8 below.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

Absolutely spot on most loans are for cover end of, my prediction is Cox will end up in league 1 probably along with Robinson and Moore probably not as good as he and some others actually think that he is, a fully fit Nathan Baker is a far better player, that is my opinion.

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

in my opinion when we are in bottom 3 playing poorly and struggling to put the ball in the net its not right we've got a decent striker on the bench who played aprox 40 mins in 23ish games. Doesn't matter if loan or permanent signing still deserve a chance especially in our situation

But why did he deserve a chance? What did you see from him that warranted him to be given a chance? Just because he was here?

Perhaps what he showed in training meant he didn't deserve a chance?

I don't know and you don't know either.

My point was that just because he wasn't being played doesn't mean there was any sort of conspiracy and doesn't mean any disrespect was shown to him. 

9 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

But why did he deserve a chance? What did you see from him that warranted him to be given a chance? Just because he was here?

Perhaps what he showed in training meant he didn't deserve a chance?

I don't know and you don't know either.

My point was that just because he wasn't being played doesn't mean there was any sort of conspiracy and doesn't mean any disrespect was shown to him. 

why did we sign someone in the calibre of Simon cox then, surely we signed him because we thought he was better than what we had and could improve the team. For that reason alone he deserved a chance. A hell of a lot of wages and loan fee wasted on Simon cox. All very strange. I'm just hoping for a better transfer window this time round.

11 minutes ago, Spoons said:

why did we sign someone in the calibre of Simon cox then, surely we signed him because we thought he was better than what we had and could improve the team. For that reason alone he deserved a chance. A hell of a lot of wages and loan fee wasted on Simon cox. All very strange. I'm just hoping for a better transfer window this time round.

You talk about Cox as if he were Ronaldo.

We didn't necessarily sign him in the belief that he was better than what we had - we may have signed him in desperation as cover, with Agard unfit and Wilbraham aged 36.

Similarly we may have known about fitness issues and taken a chance anyway.

I don't know why you persist with this notion that he has somehow been disrespected, you don't know any more than we do what Cotterill saw on the training ground. There must have been reasons why other loanees such as Baker and Bennett feature regularly and he didn't.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You talk about Cox as if he were Ronaldo.

We didn't necessarily sign him in the belief that he was better than what we had - we may have signed him in desperation as cover, with Agard unfit and Wilbraham aged 36.

Similarly we may have known about fitness issues and taken a chance anyway.

I don't know why you persist with this notion that he has somehow been disrespected, you don't know any more than we do what Cotterill saw on the training ground. There must have been reasons why other loaners such as Baker and Bennett feature regularly and he didn't.

I would rather have Simon cox playing week in week out than wilbs or agard. He is no Ronaldo but at our level we can't afford to have a championship striker sat on the bench when we persist in playing a 36 year old week in week out. We are bottom 3 and we have consistently struggled to score goals from open play. Simon cox was a different player to wilbs and aggard and kodja. If things weren't working with wilbs and kodja why not try cox. Every city fan knows a big problem this season is the lack of partnership up front, cox might not have been the answer but not to try him when we are a struggling team is criminal. Last I'm saying on it. Lets hope for some transfer news soon to cheer us all up. Our squad is mighty thin now

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

"the calibre of Simon Cox"

A proven league one striker who has a top scoring season of 10 in the championship (average around 7or 8).

One goal in the Premiership.

He was signed on loan as cover - which, as it turns out, we either didn't need or he wasn't up to it. I don't know which and care even less tbh, but to persist with this Cox worship (ooh er matron) and portray him as some sort of international super striker is a bit obsessive.

ok question , if you were manger would you have kept on playing wilbs and kodja and not given cox a go?

my reason for bringing this point up is that lots of little points like this are the reason we are in bottom 3. His over loyalty to last seasons squad his persistent in playing Luke freeman and not giving bobby Reid a long run of games. All these small points add up to relegation I'm afraid. I hope to be proved wrong and I still thing a successful season I staying up but we must start winning games.

6 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Simon Cox was not fit, when he did come on he was leggy and overweight. 

But still looked better than the man he replaced v Fulham and made a positive contribution to our cause. 

If we were grinding out points and sitting in a position of safety then I could understand his lack of use. But we aren't. 

Guest baggie192

Depending on his his fitness and confidence. I'm surprised Cox didn't get a game. He was quite important in our Premier push, which granted is 6 years ago. Though Steve Clarke had played him and he scored at Reading this year, so, he couldn't of been that unfit.

22 hours ago, Just Red said:

Sounds the most plausible explanation so far. There is very clearly hostilities between management and the board. The only way to resolve this is to replace management before its too late.

Management pulled the rug out from under SC...he has kept the bottle on his true feelings pretty well but quietly seething away..can't say I blame him..

8 minutes ago, Spoons said:

ok question , if you were manger would you have kept on playing wilbs and kodja and not given cox a go?

my reason for bringing this point up is that lots of little points like this are the reason we are in bottom 3. His over loyalty to last seasons squad his persistent in playing Luke freeman and not giving bobby Reid a long run of games. All these small points add up to relegation I'm afraid. I hope to be proved wrong and I still thing a successful season I staying up but we must start winning games.

Reid will never be a regular in any championship side..

10 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Bennett has come in and replaced Little.

Baker has come in and replaced Williams/Bryan.

Kodjia is first choice over any of last season's strikers.

Freeman/Reid is the only situation I can think of where he could be accused of over-loyalty; and even then I'm not convinced that's the case. In all other cases the players are playing because of no credible alternatives.

Like I said many times already - a point you haven't acknowledged - there must be reasons why a man who saw him in training every day decided not to select him, when other loanees have featured regularly.

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Bennett has come in and replaced Little.

Baker has come in and replaced Williams/Bryan.

Kodjia is first choice over any of last season's strikers.

Freeman/Reid is the only situation I can think of where he could be accused of over-loyalty; and even then I'm not convinced that's the case. In all other cases the players are playing because of no credible alternatives.

Like I said many times already - a point you haven't acknowledged - there must be reasons why a man who saw him in training every day decided not to select him, when other loanees have featured regularly.

other loans like Moore, cox, Robinson haven't featured at all. Bennet came in for Fredericks not little. Oh and what happened there? Kodja takes jets space as hes not in our squad anymore. To be fair baker has been a good signing and has forced his way into team.

your point regarding cox in training etc and cotterill not picking him, well from what I was told cox could have performed like Ronaldo and he still wouldn't have been picked as cotterill wasn't happy with him signing for us.

Archived