IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion Match Day Thread

havanatopia

As results stand we stay 8 points from the drop zone, with MK Dons unable to jump above us despite playing most of a half against ten men.

If things stay as they are, yes; goal difference taking a bad hit is not good, but nothing has really changed - really was a 'free' game.

Also; looks like Forest may head into our game having lost two on the bounce - if we can get a reaction to tonight, may be a good time to play them.

Terrible result, but maybe not a bad night over all.

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

One poor scoreline (not even a result) and these sort of posts have started again already.

4 wins in 6, a 7 point gap to the drop zone as things stand, and no sign of the bottom three finding the form they would need to overtake us.

Get a grip.

29 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

One poor scoreline (not even a result) and these sort of posts have started again already.

4 wins in 6, a 7 point gap to the drop zone as things stand, and no sign of the bottom three finding the form they would need to overtake us.

Get a grip.

Not at all, I finished last season on a massive high, with expectations to match. 

Im not happy that we messed up the summer transfer window, brought in a manager with no championship experience and we haven't got a striker, if we keep aiming low we will get there.

i want my club to be successful and to do that you need to seize your opportunities as they are few and far between, I'm not delighted that were better than 3 other teams at the moment, I don't need to get a grip, I'm just sick of seeing the same old cheap options being made.

this season has been bollocks both on and off it, we should stay up (?) but I don't see the decisions being made by the board at the moment as progressive, if SC can't attract players to Bristol then I have little hope that LJ will have much luck either.

i thought we'd finish about 15th, and build let's see but as I said before, I'm sick of seeing the cheap option made, especially on a 3.5 year contract.

Sorry for not having the same outlook as you but leave the get a grip bit out.

• Like 1

I can't ever quite get my head around professional ball kickers not hitting the target. Anywho...

Lets get all the bad luck out the way in one match. I wouldn't have been surprised before the game to lose. Goal difference not ideal, but that's more than helped by other results again. 

Onwards and hopefully, upwards. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Not at all, I finished last season on a massive high, with expectations to match. 

Im not happy that we messed up the summer transfer window, brought in a manager with no championship experience and we haven't got a striker, if we keep aiming low we will get there.

i want my club to be successful and to do that you need to seize your opportunities as they are few and far between, I'm not delighted that were better than 3 other teams at the moment, I don't need to get a grip, I'm just sick of seeing the same old cheap options being made.

this season has been bollocks both on and off it, we should stay up (?) but I don't see the decisions being made by the board at the moment as progressive, if SC can't attract players to Bristol then I have little hope that LJ will have much luck either.

i thought we'd finish about 15th, and build let's see but as I said before, I'm sick of seeing the cheap option made, especially on a 3.5 year contract.

The problem was your post showed absolutely no recognition of our very significant improvement in recent weeks and appeared to be entirely reactionary based solely on tonight's performance.

You have already moderated your opinion from "not signing a striker will see us relegated" to "we should survive" within half an hour, which proves my point.

• Like 4

We don't know if LJ is a cheap option as we don't know his salary

What we do know is that he is committed but has not had the benefit of a transfer window and has to go with what he's got, and not helped by two injuries.

We also know that one defeat tells us little as did two victories

We all know why we are in the position we are in and it has nothing to do with LJ

Perhaps if more fans had been prepared to ask for SC's removal in October The Board might have been persuaded to act sooner - but that's history

All we fans can do is to keep positive and if we go down, which I doubt will be the case, then LJ can begin to plan for the long haul back

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Judging a player on being Championship standard by a missed penalty? Ridiculous. 

He's shown more than once that he can cause heaps of problems against good Championship defences when he's on form. 

I agree with you, but although the game was lost very unprofessional to not allow the designated penalty taker to take the penalty, incredibly unprofessional and LJ needs to nip that behaviour in the bud.

6 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

The cheap option wasn't made though. Whether LJ proved to be the right option or not, the simple fact is getting a manager under contract from another club who, though a division below, are of a comparative size to us, paying compensation and increasing his wages isn't the cheap option.  You're entitled to your opinion, which I happen to disagree with, but it seems a bit daft to back it up with assertions that are factually and demonstrably untrue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Judging a player on being Championship standard by a missed penalty? Ridiculous. 

He's shown more than once that he can cause heaps of problems against good Championship defences when he's on form. 

You think i made that judgement on one penalty miss? You are a fruit.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with you, but although the game was lost very unprofessional to not allow the designated penalty taker to take the penalty, incredibly unprofessional and LJ needs to nip that behaviour in the bud.

Indeed. Surely the captain should be calling the shots. 

1 hour ago, Red Army 87 said:

Brighton have played us really, LJ was expecting a possession game from them and they've gone counter attack. Problem now is the more we push forward the more likely they are to score again. Tough job now.

Couldn't be there tonight due to work but is this true?!

Did we really think they'd play a possession game and then we were unable to adapt when that turned out to be incorrect?!

I was player manager of a local team for 12 years and we changed our tactics instantaneously if we'd obviously got it wrong from the  off.

Are you telling me that a professional football team didn't realise that they'd got it wrong and couldn't adapt?!

That is worrying...

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

For sure, if Agard did take the ball off the designated penalty taker, then he needs a firm talking to. If not a slap round the back of the head. 

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it seems that Wilbraham did make that decision, but surely that should not need a decision, the penalty taker is or should be nominated and he was still on the pitch.

Yes, my point being he should have enforced the nominated taker. 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The problem was your post showed absolutely no recognition of our very significant improvement in recent weeks and appeared to be entirely reactionary based solely on tonight's performance.

You have already moderated your opinion from "not signing a striker will see us relegated" to "we should survive" within half an hour, which proves my point.

Improvement came under Pemberton originally, he's still here thank god.

im not really bothered about moderating my posts, I've got more important things to do, plus if you knew anything about me you'd be impressed I can even write. 

Jesus Christ, it's borderline opinion, signing a quality striker would definitely have kept us up, so without one and the form of two of the bottom 3, WE SHOULD SURVIVE.

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We don't know if LJ is a cheap option as we don't know his salary

What we do know is that he is committed but has not had the benefit of a transfer window and has to go with what he's got, and not helped by two injuries.

We also know that one defeat tells us little as did two victories

We all know why we are in the position we are in and it has nothing to do with LJ

Perhaps if more fans had been prepared to ask for SC's removal in October The Board might have been persuaded to act sooner - but that's history

All we fans can do is to keep positive and if we go down, which I doubt will be the case, then LJ can begin to plan for the long haul back

Very true but the board and everybody else involved did have the transfer window and still managed to fail to sign a striker and everybody has injuries.

5 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Not entirely sure why you need to throw insults around? I was challenging your post, not you personally. So you're saying, penalty miss aside, that he's not up to playing at his level? 

I don't agree. 

Fruit, ridiculous? Come on.

For insult read ridicule.

both are personal chum.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Not quite? Try never. 

Terrible excuse for a pro footballer. 

Stealing the ball off of Tomlin was shocking. Cheerio in the summer Kieron. 

If he did take the ball off Tomlin, then yes that was foolish and needs looking into for sure, but to call him a 'terrible excuse for a pro footballer' is frankly stupid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Improvement came under Pemberton originally, he's still here thank god.

im not really bothered about moderating my posts, I've got more important things to do, plus if you knew anything about me you'd be impressed I can even write. 

Jesus Christ, it's borderline opinion, signing a quality striker would definitely have kept us up, so without one and the form of two of the bottom 3, WE SHOULD SURVIVE.

There are 3 sides worse than us. That should keep us up. 8 points clear still, one game less to play. None of those below us have games in hand. Brighton are better than us. We have lost too many defenders. Sleep well

• Like 1

Bottom line is tonight has happened. The score line's not nice but it's over and results elsewhere mean - goal difference aside - we've pretty much emerged unscathed in terms of the table. We can sit and analyse what went wrong - I'm sure fans on here will and the team will too - but what really matters is how the team respond. LJ needs to make sure the team get it out their system, draw a line under it and don't let it undo our good work over the last month. If he can do that, we'll be fine and tonight will be forgotten.

• Like 5

I dont blame Agard for snatching the ball i blame the captain for letting it happen but most people think Agard is not good enough and on a pretty long stint with us i think we have enough evidence to support that.

Of course for those who are content with lower quartile in this league he just about qualifies as good enough. To be challenging at the right end he is nowhere near the quality of Andre Gray and the City board seem to be aware of that too.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Agree with Esmond Million's Bung but as you say these problems lie with The Board and SC and can't be laid at LJ's door

As for injuries that relates to the lack of numbers,again taking us back to the summer

Sadly he added to the belief that we would be looking to sign a striker in the emergency window, something that was clearly nonsense.

I have no view either way about LJ, but like every BCFC manager I want him to succeed, Saturday will give us a better idea of what sort of manager we have got ourselves.

His post match interview seemed very honest to be fair, he didn't sound overly happy with the performance after going one down.

We lost, so did most the teams below us, we are not aiming for promotion, yes we are aiming for as many points as possible till the end of the season, but chill, Brighton should go up, they are a class act and a team to look up to, they also let in 4 on Saturday and look what they did tonight! We're Bristol City, we always believe.. So hopefully we can learn from this and get our shit back together for Saturday

Gobsmacked by that.

Thought that the days of being completEly turned over at home were over when Cotterill left.

I don't blame people for being negative after paying money to watch that crap but imho, there's no point dwelling on it. We are going to stay up this season and if results like this are a learning curve for Johnson and some of our younger players then so be it. I'm sure LJ will be analysing tonight for days and make sure that our fans do not have to put up with this shite again.

On a personal level, this result really hurts BC I ******* detest Brighton.

Oh well, only MK who gained on us tonight, 1 point. Thought it was the wrong choice to take off Bryan, he'd put some marvellous balls into the box and having Wilbraham upfront with 2 wingers who cut inside rather than cross was slightly strange. Need Baker and Ayling back asap imo 

• Like 1

4 goals from 3 shots on target does suggest a bit of a freak result but I did think Brighton were good value for the win. Very sharp up front with their movement and good pressing. We looked very static in comparison when going forwards.

That said, at least 3 if their goals came out of nothing/silly defensive errors and on another night we might of come out the game with something despite them being a sharper team. 

2 minutes ago, RedSA said:

4 goals from 3 shots on target does suggest a bit of a freak result but I did think Brighton were good value for the win. Very sharp up front with their movement and good pressing. We looked very static in comparison when going forwards.

That said, at least 3 if their goals came out of nothing/silly defensive errors and on another night we might of come out the game with something despite them being a sharper team. 

Also ******* Baldock has scored 3 goals all season 2 against us.

Feel strangely content with tonight's games. One downer is that it was a home game for us and tricky away games for the bottom 3. 

39 points to play for. To reach the claimed magic 46 for survival the bottom teams need roughly 7 wins from 13. Or 6 wins 3 draws and only 4 defeats. 

We need 4 wins. Or more likely 3 wins 3 draws 7 defeats. 

I do still think that shows we are in a good position. I think we can get those points probably. The bottom 3 would need a remarkable run of form.