IGNORED

Ronaldo

Super

4 minutes ago, City169 said:

But he acts unprofessional so often, he has a hissy fit if he isn't passed to and is all about his own ego. Oh and don't think about trying to tackle him, because you might disturb his hair, so to prevent this he feigns contact and pretends you foul him.

Messi is similar but less about his own ego. Don't like the worship of either tbh, both are outstanding players, but the praise they get relentlessy in a poor league is ott, though ronaldo did a job in the prem beforehand.

My statement was more in line with his dedication to his profession.  Can agree with the petulant spats he has from time to time don't do his pr any good.

i do hope that messi goes and plies his trade in a different country or he'll always be questioned if he was all that because of loyalty to Barca and failure to prove himself in a different league.

Yeah at least we know Ronald's has done it in the prem and decided using his ability was better than diving around.

messi wouldn't fare quite so well I don't think. He wouldn't last a regular bettering from the defenders and midfielders over here and his constant subsequent going to ground to win free kicks wouldn't make him popular. Shame messi won't test himself in a tougher league but why would he when he has it so easy

14 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Is he wrong though.  As much as people don't like him he is one hell of a professional.

quite funny he came out with that statement after they lost when he missed most of the chances. 

15 minutes ago, City169 said:

But he acts unprofessional so often, he has a hissy fit if he isn't passed to and is all about his own ego. Oh and don't think about trying to tackle him, because you might disturb his hair, so to prevent this he feigns contact and pretends you foul him.

Messi is similar but less about his own ego. Don't like the worship of either tbh, both are outstanding players, but the praise they get relentlessy in a poor league is ott, though ronaldo did a job in the prem beforehand.

15 minutes ago, City169 said:

Poor league isn't entirely true currently. LA liga may not be back where it was in the early 2000s but last few years has seen a sharp improvement. Moyes was a resounding success out there, but that aside Spanish teams are highly consistent and comfortable in European competition...

1 hour ago, City169 said:

"a poor league"?!  If the Spanish league is poor then how bad is our ££££ league!  

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Poor league isn't entirely true currently. LA liga may not be back where it was in the early 2000s but last few years has seen a sharp improvement. Moyes was a resounding success out there, but that aside Spanish teams are highly consistent and comfortable in European competition...

While I agree to an extent, La Liga to me in generally poor. The top 3 are top teams and can go far in the champions league. Then they have another 3 or 4 that could do well in Europa league but the bottom 12 or so are quite poor. All 20 teams in the premier league would stay up in that league quite easily. 

The premier league is strong from top to bottom(ok maybe not so much with Villa). The physicality is the big thing though. Barca can find success in the odd match versus Arsenal or Man City but could they do it after a Saturday at  Stoke, a Tuesday against Palace then again on Saturday at Liverpool? I have my doubts. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

While I agree to an extent, La Liga to me in generally poor. The top 3 are top teams and can go far in the champions league. Then they have another 3 or 4 that could do well in Europa league but the bottom 12 or so are quite poor. All 20 teams in the premier league would stay up in that league quite easily. 

The premier league is strong from top to bottom(ok maybe not so much with Villa). The physicality is the big thing though. Barca can find success in the odd match versus Arsenal or Man City but could they do it after a Saturday at  Stoke, a Tuesday against Palace then again on Saturday at Liverpool? I have my doubts. 

Are you serious ? 3-4  of Stoke's team are ex Barcelona players who weren't good enough for them. The Spanish league is far superior to our top league. There is quality throughout La Liga, the bottom teams struggle against the top teams yes, but it's the same with OUR 'top' teams who struggle against the exact same teams! 

16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Are you serious ? 3-4  of Stoke's team are ex Barcelona players who weren't good enough for them. The Spanish league is far superior to our top league. There is quality throughout La Liga, the bottom teams struggle against the top teams yes, but it's the same with OUR 'top' teams who struggle against the exact same teams! 

I'm not saying Barca wouldn't win the premier league. I'm saying they wouldn't run all over it like they do in La Liga. It's all opinions though. It's just mine that a combination of fixture congestion, physicality and higher standard of the bottom teams would mean Barca would have a struggle here and there and the front 3 wouldn't score 90 league goals between them. 

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Our league is poor too, but the Spanish league is worse overall. Barca and Real are superior to our best teams, but we have 5-6 competetive teams not 2. You won't get a team doing "a leicester' in La Liga next season. 

Credit to Seville for their Europe success in recent years, but at the same time, they were never going to win the league, never going to win the Copa del Ray, so they could go all out for it without it negatively affecting any other competitions they are in. 

I actually think the Spanish league would be a great spectacle if it was for 2 things:

1. Allow tackling

2. Allow clubs that aren't called "Barcalona" or "Real Madrid" to get some money.

Edit- also look at the number of teams that Barca or Real beat by 5 or more goals each season. The lower end is dreadful.

We will have to disagree, in my view the Spanish league is far far superior in technique,nouse,and tactically. Even the lower teams have this in abundance. 

What you say about Sevilla is exactly the same for about 15 clubs in the Prem, so why can't one of them do this!  

You don't seem to be up to scratch on la Liga, Only today did A Madrid go to Real and beat them, leaving them 4 points above of there City rivals. Villarreal are closing in on Real Madrid as well. 

As for tackling, you don't have to have as much tackling when the emphasis is on passing round teams and a good first touch, probably the two reasons why we have more tackling in this country!  

There is no league in the world where there is 20 ( ish) teams of top quality, most leagues have 3-4 top teams, Spain have  3-4 and about 8 other teams that are just below, Which is more than any other league. 

If your looking for a league where the quality isn't as good but the bottom can beat the top, then look no further than the Championship, 

50 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

We will have to disagree, in my view the Spanish league is far far superior in technique,nouse,and tactically. Even the lower teams have this in abundance. 

What you say about Sevilla is exactly the same for about 15 clubs in the Prem, so why can't one of them do this!  

You don't seem to be up to scratch on la Liga, Only today did A Madrid go to Real and beat them, leaving them 4 points above of there City rivals. Villarreal are closing in on Real Madrid as well. 

As for tackling, you don't have to have as much tackling when the emphasis is on passing round teams and a good first touch, probably the two reasons why we have more tackling in this country!  

There is no league in the world where there is 20 ( ish) teams of top quality, most leagues have 3-4 top teams, Spain have  3-4 and about 8 other teams that are just below, Which is more than any other league. 

If your looking for a league where the quality isn't as good but the bottom can beat the top, then look no further than the Championship, 

You are right atletico did beat a Real Madrid without a manager,of course zidane is the face of the club now,I'm up to scratch on the Spanish league ,for your "you don't have to tackle much when you can pass it around them",you're right which is why the Spanish league is horse

7 hours ago, City169 said:

I'll agree to disagree.

my point about tackling was more to do with the amount of diving more than anything, and I think the difference in quality is far greater in La Liga from top to bottom. I'd wager a lot of their lower end sides would struggle to finish about mid table in The Championship.

The point about Seville doesn't quite ring true for teams over here, because their English equivalent does have a chance at winning a cup competition over here, whether the FA Cup or League Cup. See Wigan while they were getting relegated.

The Spanish teams take their cup seriously, they also take the Europe cup seriously.

Which in itself says shows they actually play there first teams a lot more than their English counterparts.

People talk about physicality, how come all the top teams in this country have Spanish players playing for them? They have zero problems playing in the English league. Does Silva etc struggle over here??. The problem comes when your 2nd touch is a slide tackle, the Spanish players don't have this problem, unfortunately most of our English players do!

7 hours ago, City169 said:
6 minutes ago, City169 said:

I'll agree with you on the mentality and the difference in style, physicality etc. But we do also often see good players fail over here, and for a lot of the top players it does take a year or so for them to adapt. 

I think I'd agree with what JoeAman said about if Barca were in the prem. Not convinced they'd win the title first season because of the difference in physicality, lack of a winter break, and an extra cup competition. But after a season or 2 they would be probably be as comfortable as they are in La Liga

Can you name me one Spanish player in the Premier League who has ever struggled with physicality ?

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Moyes a resounding success in Spain? 12 wins from 42 games says he wasn't.

15 hours ago, Super said:

Sure this will go down well with his team mates, what a bellend always has been.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35679497

Disagree that he is a bellend. The bloke has done so much for children's charities around the world through the years. I think he's a top fella. Selling his golden boot for 1.5m euros to help build schools in Gaza. Organising charity football matches to help flood victims in home town, helping reconstruct small towns in Indonesia after the Tsunami to name but a few. One of the best players to have played the game to boot. Class act.

10 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Disagree that he is a bellend. The bloke has done so much for children's charities around the world through the years. I think he's a top fella. Selling his golden boot for 1.5m euros to help build schools in Gaza. Organising charity football matches to help flood victims in home town, helping reconstruct small towns in Indonesia after the Tsunami to name but a few. One of the best players to have played the game to boot. Class act.

Many players do a lot for charity, everything is about him on the pitch, he hardly celebrates a goal unless he has scored it. He lacks class.

Archived