IGNORED

SOD

Super

1 minute ago, jambodinho said:

Cotterill's next job? dean smith was successful with them using 3-5-2 early in the season. Maybe Cotts could get them back playing like that

Interesting suggestion.. They're not out of the race by any means, perhaps SC even on a 2 month contract to try and boost them into the auto places would be a good move.

He's completely screwed up their season. When he arrived they were in a great position to get promotion. Then his double speak started, saying they were in a false position. Their posession stats looked impressive, unfortunately most of their posession was in their own half and usually a sideways ball.....seems all too familiar

Depressing bloke, depressing attitude, depressing demeanour. Made being a city fan thoroughly un-enjoyable while he was manager here.

If I recall correctly one of the first quotes he made when appointed was "There are only two guarantees in football, losing possession and losing games." How inspiring,

Stupid question.

Why on earth did Dean Smith leave in the first place?

He was clearly doing an excellent job at Walsall; must have really needed the money moving club must have given him, as Brentford look like becomig the next Charlton, if the rumours are to be believed.

Also, a bit of food for thought for those saying LJ has only continued what was happening before; SO'D is an experienced manager who went into a club in very decent form, yet couldn't just keep things ticking along, so maybe there is more to it than just not changing stuff.

38 minutes ago, samo II said:

He was clearly doing an excellent job at Walsall; must have really needed the money moving club must have given him, as Brentford look like becomig the next Charlton, if the rumours are to be believed.

Also, a bit of food for thought for those saying LJ has only continued what was happening before; SO'D is an experienced manager who went into a club in very decent form, yet couldn't just keep things ticking along, so maybe there is more to it than just not changing stuff.

To be fair Brentford were in with a chance of the play offs and had made them last year. They've got a new ground on the way too.  Sadly Smith has had most of his decent players flogged off on top of Gray who went early doors as we all know. Walsall probably never going to get huge crowds or funding given geographic location. 

9 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

To be fair Brentford were in with a chance of the play offs and had made them last year. They've got a new ground on the way too.  Sadly Smith has had most of his decent players flogged off on top of Gray who went early doors as we all know. Walsall probably never going to get huge crowds or funding given geographic location. 

Good points all.  Just think Smith maybe missed an opportunity to top off a decent period at Walsall with promotion, and like SC with us; think taking them up, even if they struggled at the next level, would have looked better than jumping ship to oversee a period of decline at Brentford (just lost their last two against Rotherham an Charlton, just two wins in 2016, and a number of their fans genuinely concerned about a last min relegation fight).

That said; maybe Smith could see that Walsall wouldn't sustain their momentum and jumped ship, perhaps before the issues that have led to their falling away reached the surface.  We will likely never know.

Don't fancy Smith to be at Brentford next year unless he drastically reverses their terrible form, and being only six points ahead of us just now, I wonder if we might finish level or above them, consisting our contrasting runs recently.

2 minutes ago, roe said:

Whatever you think of O'Driscoll and how he managed when he was here, only giving him 16 games is pathetic and makes you wonder why they gave him the job in the first place.

Yeah, I do :) 

Early reports I read were that it was more than results and that his polarising demeanour played no small part. 

1 hour ago, samo II said:

My guess is Walsall's sub 4000 crowds convinced Smith that it was a thankless task.

As for SOD what an absolute bluffer he is, all that bollocks about processes and outcomes, whereas his successor just concentrated on winning (a lot).

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is Walsall's sub 4000 crowds convinced Smith that it was a thankless task.

As for SOD what an absolute bluffer he is, all that bollocks about processes and outcomes, whereas his successor just concentrated on winning (a lot).

Yeah, I don't doubt the lack of space for growth at Walsall perhaps had him keen to move when at the peak of his powers, and Brentford may have looked a half decent proposition after last season.

I guess my surprise is that he chose Brentford after they so swiftly axed his predecessor, and the system there seems to give him so little latitude to impose himself, compared to the likely broad control he exercised at Walsall.

Brentford have a much poorer squad than last year, and really failed to build on the momentum Warburton gave them, and unless something suddenly changes, I really cannot see doing much better next year.

They might be bigger than Walsall, but with a 12k stadium and a very strict 'buy em cheap & sell em quick' model, I don't see them doing better than what they are now in the near future, so just wonder on Smith's thinking.

23 minutes ago, samo II said:

Yeah, I don't doubt the lack of space for growth at Walsall perhaps had him keen to move when at the peak of his powers, and Brentford may have looked a half decent proposition after last season.

I guess my surprise is that he chose Brentford after they so swiftly axed his predecessor, and the system there seems to give him so little latitude to impose himself, compared to the likely broad control he exercised at Walsall.

Brentford have a much poorer squad than last year, and really failed to build on the momentum Warburton gave them, and unless something suddenly changes, I really cannot see doing much better next year.

They might be bigger than Walsall, but with a 12k stadium and a very strict 'buy em cheap & sell em quick' model, I don't see them doing better than what they are now in the near future, so just wonder on Smith's thinking.

Given the short-termism in football I think it's probably as much a case of bag the next contract you can whilst you can. And if he fails there, like SC did here, he's still going (or ought) to be attractive to clubs in League One. 

Guest wheatus59
3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You knew him personally?

Didn't have too , what a miserable boring man he was .

Lifted from the Walsall forum....

Great news. Miserable, dour, clueless dinosaur him.

He sucked every bit of confidence out of the players and every bit of quality out if the style of play. In the short time he was here he also did his best to ruin our best players - Sawyers went from one of the best in the league, Bradshaw became a 5 foot target man and pretty much every player regressed. He even did his best to hold Rico back. Any other manager would have raved about quality like Rico but he barely had a good word to say. Wouldn't be surprised if the players had a say in this as the smiles have been missing for a while and they obviously don't want to play for him.

I just hope his legacy hasn't fudge everything up for good.

The highlighted bit sounds all too familiar...

4 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Surely unemployable now? 

image.png

Sample quote from their forum:

Yesterday was toxic and caused by odriscoll. Good riddance.

Which anybody that had inside knowledge of his time at Ashton Gate would testify to. Even Lansdown recognized that.

Guest Saddler

Hi Saddler in peace. Thought I'd have a poke around at SODs previous clubs to see the reaction to us sacking him. I think you all know how bad he is with the media. To refer to the club that employ you as "they" says it all really. The bloke is as you say above a bluffer. Some have said that it is a knee jerk reaction. I can honestly say that Walsall don't do knee jerk reactions of any kind. Dean Smith went 16 games without a win and the football was rubbish and we still stood by him. That must tell you how bad SOD s reign was. We went from free flowing passing to knock it up the channels and hope for the best. I would love to see Cotterill at Walsall but he will want too much money for us. That team you had last season were fabulous to watch, even if you did wipe the floor with us !! Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Hopefully see you in the Championship next 

31 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Sample quote from their forum:

Yesterday was toxic and caused by odriscoll. Good riddance.

Which anybody that had inside knowledge of his time at Ashton Gate would testify to. Even Lansdown recognized that.

OK ,now he's a bad coach but what does everyone mean by him being toxic and why would he undermine his own post ?

I thought he'd be a great fit for Walsall .

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

OK ,now he's a bad coach but what does everyone mean by him being toxic and why would he undermine his own post ?

He was a sacking waiting to happen.....

24 minutes ago, Saddler said:

Hi Saddler in peace. Thought I'd have a poke around at SODs previous clubs to see the reaction to us sacking him. I think you all know how bad he is with the media. To refer to the club that employ you as "they" says it all really. The bloke is as you say above a bluffer. Some have said that it is a knee jerk reaction. I can honestly say that Walsall don't do knee jerk reactions of any kind. Dean Smith went 16 games without a win and the football was rubbish and we still stood by him. That must tell you how bad SOD s reign was. We went from free flowing passing to knock it up the channels and hope for the best. I would love to see Cotterill at Walsall but he will want too much money for us. That team you had last season were fabulous to watch, even if you did wipe the floor with us !! Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Hopefully see you in the Championship next 

.... for this reason.

Ashton Gate was doom and gloomsville under SOD and evidently Walsall too.

33 minutes ago, Saddler said:

Crazy how he got the job in the first place, a thoroughly dour, depressing excuse for a head coach. Notice he had a go at your fans, deja vu, did the same here. Ended up having a paddy at the press too. The football was also long ball, negative, turgid rubbish.

He talked about us trying to emulate how Shrewsbury play, Shrewsbury ffs!! Your club would do better with mike basset in charge.

Guest Saddler

He got the job cos he is mates with Dean Smith and Richard O Kelly and they recommended him apparently. Didn't take long for the fans to see through him. Each opponent was better than us and we were always punching above our weight in press interviews. Played our best players out of position. Left arguably our best young player out of the starting 11. This is a player who has been scouted by several premiership sides but can't get a game for us!!! The bloke as you say is dour, useless and I think a footballing dinosaur 

13 minutes ago, Saddler said:

He got the job cos he is mates with Dean Smith and Richard O Kelly and they recommended him apparently. Didn't take long for the fans to see through him. Each opponent was better than us and we were always punching above our weight in press interviews. Played our best players out of position. Left arguably our best young player out of the starting 11. This is a player who has been scouted by several premiership sides but can't get a game for us!!! The bloke as you say is dour, useless and I think a footballing dinosaur 

He told us he never looked at the league table, well it was a good job he never did, he would have been even more depressing to listen to.

Guest Redrobbin

One  of two professions you get highly rewarded for failure. Football management, and banking. Oh can I add a third; politics!

13 hours ago, bend it like brian said:

Just wondering when you thought he was a good coach???

Promotion with Bournemouth on a shoestring playing good football.

Promotion with Doncaster , again on a shoestring budget and punching above their weight in the Championship.

Afterwards i have to admit , either he's totally lost the plot or he's made a series of very bad décisions .

14 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Also felt Walsall was as near perfect for him as possible..he does seem to have a facet to his personality that alienates him.not ideal for a football manager.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Starring once more in the 'emperors new clothes' he is so misunderstood and so obviously achieving something at Walsall that only the 'chosen few' could see once more just like at BCFC.

No doubt Walsall was awash with people he didn't know what their jobs were, or he had no respect for...

Analysis: BBC WM 95.6's Richard Wilford

"It's a decisive move from Walsall to relieve Sean O'Driscoll of his duties only three months in. But it really wasn't working out.

"Also the Saddlers are making the change when there's still a chance of promotion - even automatic isn't out of question.

"We could well see existing coaching staff carrying the club forward for rest of season under the canny eye of John Ward."

He seems to do this for a living, maybe he engineers the sackings so he can jump in? :)

33 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

So if the SOD fan club had a row with the COTTS cheerleading squad, who would cry the most salty tears?

Neither; they'd put their heads together and realise it is all Lee Johnson's fault...

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2016/03/07/joe-masi-walsall-comment-the-cv-was-right-the-fit-was-not/

There were many times I came away from press conferences embarrassed because of the way he spoke to me. He made me feel small in roomicon1.png of colleagues.

And it wasn’t just me, it always seemed someone came away from a meeting with him feeling belittled.

O’Driscoll seemed to feel he could do everyone’s job better than they could.

And the whole time it left me wondering, if he is like this with the media – what is he like with the players?

I remember when he came out after we beat the South Gloucestershire canine sperm collectors sneering at us for celebrating a win against our oldest rivals. 

He lost me from then on it showed he really did not understand the club at all, rather pretending he was some kind of footballing prophet thinking he knew better than everyone else.

then there was the infamous moment the local rag had the audacity to question his stomach for a scrap after yet another pathetic home defeat.

he owns all of Bristol city's unwanted losing records 

you knew things were rotten when he was lauded on here for 'turning a corner' for drawing at home to Leyton ******* Orient, how bad were those times? 

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Steve Cotterill

sorry this turned into a rant, it wasn't meant to be. That pototo headed **** has that effect on me 

14 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I remember when he came out after we beat the South Gloucestershire canine sperm collectors sneering at us for celebrating a win against our oldest rivals. 

He lost me from then on it showed he really did not understand the club at all, rather pretending he was some kind of footballing prophet thinking he knew better than everyone else.

then there was the infamous moment the local rag had the audacity to question his stomach for a scrap after yet another pathetic home defeat.

you knew things were rotten when he was lauded on here for 'turning a corner' for drawing at home to Leyton ******* Orient, how bad were those times? 

sorry this turned into a rant, it wasn't meant to be. That pototo headed **** has that effect on me 

He's up there with the most depressing times under Pulis. On both occasions a huge sense of relief when relieved of their duties 

13 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'll be honest I thought the LO game WAS a turning point, we'll never know. However I think on the balance of evidence now, probably not.

20 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I'll be honest I thought the LO game WAS a turning point, we'll never know. However I think on the balance of evidence now, probably not.

We thought the same against Watford early on in his tenure, didn't we? Before the relegation at a whimper, and going 21 league games without a win (Jesus Christ I forgot it was that many).

Reading this thread is very depressing.  

We have had some truly horrible seasons.

Here's really hoping we are starting to turn the corner.

What we need is some stability.

We don't need highs and lows for a bit just steady progress

Trust Lee and the others to deliver this

COYR and keep BOUNCING 

He's never been the same since being sacked by Forest when they were in a reasonable position, maybe realised he was never going to make the big time. Up until that point he'd been successful but probably saw joining us as a step down from what he'd been used to.

Having said that I still say he gave Cotts a decent platform to start from, having signed the likes of Pack, Fielding, Flint, Williams, Wagstaff in the only transfer window he was with us, and also gave Bobby Reid his chance in the first team. He also helped set up the recruitment system with Keith Burt who he knew from his Forest days. If he wants another job though must come across as more positive with the media, from memory I think he wasn't as bad on that side before he joined us.

34 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

He's never been the same since being sacked by Forest when they were in a reasonable position, maybe realised he was never going to make the big time. Up until that point he'd been successful but probably saw joining us as a step down from what he'd been used to.

He kept saying we were the right fit for him, that it felt right.

I know a couple of Walsall fans, all the ******* bollocks they spouted last year before Wembley, and again before the 8-2, about how shit City are, only top because of the budget etc etc I can't help but laugh at this

I told them that SoD was completely the wrong choice, oh, how they laughed 'done it at this level before' etc etc. Now they both want Cotts.....the bloke who can only work on a massive budget

**** off

On saying that, I have a soft spot for Walsall, seen some great battles down the years and I'd love to see them come up, with Burton. Personally think Cotts would do a great job there too....but my two mates can still **** off though

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Before your heart bleeds for him he walked out on Crawley to join Notts Forest - hardly a glam point in his career pre- Forest so I can't agree with 'step down' - and before he even managed a game for Crawley. Arguably he got shown as much loyalty at Forest as he demonstrated to his previous employers... 

Having said that I still say he gave Cotts a decent platform to start from, having signed the likes of Pack, Fielding, Flint, Williams, Wagstaff in the only transfer window he was with us, and also gave Bobby Reid his chance in the first team. He also helped set up the recruitment system with Keith Burt who he knew from his Forest days. If he wants another job though must come across as more positive with the media, from memory I think he wasn't as bad on that side before he joined us.

And dropped Fielding, and said he wouldn't have bought Flint for the amount we paid, and the others looked rather poor until he left and a manager who knew how to use them came in...

16 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Fair play to you for lasting that long. I was lost on that fateful day at Wolves in the relegation season. 1 nil up at half time and Wolves having used all 3 subs, including the keeper, and Mr Personality stood there with his arms folded all second half, while Wolves took more and more control of the game.

Then decides to make changes only after we'd gone 2-1 behind!! Muppet.

I think SO'D is probably a shy man, socially awkward, never "one of the lads," a pessimist, and a bit of a loner. His apparent arrogance, in the dismissive way he treated local media types, for example, suggest to me an introvert forced out of his comfort zone, into the realm of the extrovert, where the likes of Harry Redknapp, Gary Johnson or Barry Fry excell. He knew he was crap at that part of the job.

When able to be more in control of the communication side of the job, ie, writing programme notes, or even meeting fans for q & a's, he was much much better. He liked talking "shop," talking about coaching. But he hated simplistic, are you up for the fight Ron Manager nonsense.

The "I don't look at the league table" made sense from a sports psychology perspective, but it was foolish to expect that to be taken any other way than badly when a club is staring relegation in the face.

I think he hated almost everything about the job apart from coaching up at Failand, "educating" us football plebs through writing his programme notes and the renumeration. I think he even hated games and matchday. So, to me, coaching the England U19s was the perfect job for him.

Why he went back into club football, I can only think it was the money, although the boost to the ego of working at Liverpool would've been attractive too.

The end of 2012/13 and the L1 season that followed up to and including the Sheff Utd game was truly depressing. Everyone was unhappy. Even "Mr Happy" as Sean was known at Fulham. We all needed putting out of our misery.

Any club employing SO'D to do any more than coach the players hasn't done their homework and they're asking for trouble.

Archived