IGNORED

One for the statto's.

Robbored

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bit of a time filler, I know but who was the last City midfielder to score 10+ goals over a season? 

Scott Murray doesn't apply - he was a winger in my book.

A winger is a midfielder in my book!

41 minutes ago, Red_Nine said:

20 odd years I've been going can't remember a centre mid/attacking mid ever get into double figures 

I can't remember any City midfielder getting 10+ in a season for as long as I've been going to AG and that's over 45 years. 

That said I've probably forgotten...........:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Was going to say Wilkshire. 

What about Noble? Edit - No!

Just gone through soccerbase and excluding wingers it would be Wilkshire. If we were then Murray got ten in 2005/06

24 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Do we count wingers - I can think of Murray, Walsh? Did Shelton get ten? What a player he was.

Not wingers! They're wide men not midfielders even tho they track back and tuck in sometimes.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not wingers! They're wide men not midfielders even tho they track back and tuck in sometimes.

So then, its Wilkshire.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

You are aware that the world moved on from the 2-3-5 formation about 50 years ago?

of course a winger is a midfielder, particularly if you're playing 4-4-2

12 minutes ago, NeilS said:

A winger be he a 7 or a 11 is a forward. Your confusing them with wing halves.

Ah. No. 

Your comparison is like comparing metric with imperial. 

Goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers. You can only be one. 

8 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Who cares, they've all left now......

Someone on another forum highlighted the lack of goals from Citys midfield and I wondered if that is a fairly recent issue or actually a much longer one. I couldn't recal a City 10+ goal scoring midfielder at all. I didn't include Murray because he was a winger and therefore didn't qualify. The question about whether a winger is a midfielder is another debate altogether.

As there are some statto's on here I thought I'd ask.

Seems to me that if wingers aren't counted as midfielders then you can end up with all kinds of silly rules that render the discussion pointless. Scott Murray actually scored a number of his goals as a wing-back, which by some definitions would make him a defender.

It is fair to say, though, that City rarely seem to have had a goal-scoring central midfielder in the team. One of the few that springs to mind is Steve Robinson who was on loan from Bournemouth for a short period during Danny Wilson's tenure. Perhaps Nick Carle could have been one had things worked out differently. It's hard to think of many others. City midfielders seem to have generally been either the all-action Doherty/Elliot/Smith types or deep-lying passers like Johnson, Skuse and Pack. Given the number of players and managers that have passed through the doors at Ashton Gate over the past 20 years I can't imagine that this is down to any particular factor at the club and I wonder if the goal-scoring central midfielder itself is a rare phenomenon. Maybe City haven't had many simply because there aren't that many.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

So... Alan Walsh, Smudger Smith and Mark Gavin weren't wingers?   :dunno:

They were in my book.

Walshy and Smudger definitely, but Marco Van Gavin.....I'm not so sure you can class him as a winger?

You've got wingers (wide midfield players) and then you've got out and out wingers (players that race down the touchline and cross the ball down the keeper's throat/onto the centre half's head/ over oeveryone's head/into the crowd/shoot wildly into the crowd/run the ball out for a goal kick/turns around and passes it back to the fullback/very occasionally pick out his centre forward). 

Archived