IGNORED

Who Starts?

REDOXO

Without harping on regarding the difference of one year ago and today we have made a number of signings that are competing for places (gone is the notion of just squad players coming in, at least for now)

so who starts tomorrow? 

Certain players pick themselves for now (if fit) 

ODonnell, Flint, Tomlin I'm pretty sure will start but who else walks out of the tunnel? Even the bench is hard to get on!

Any ITKs have any idea, also mere mortals who do you think starts!?

ROD

Matthews Flint Hordor Golbourne 

Pack Bryan

Reid

Freeman                      Tomlin

.                   Kodjia

O'Leary, Abraham, Wilbraham, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Williams, Ayling

Thats my guess. 4-3-3/4-5-1. Freeman getting the start to let Callum bed in a bit more at this level. 

4 minutes ago, #roe said:

O'Donnell;
Matthews, Flint, Magners, Golbourne;
Reid, Pack, Bryan;
O'Dowda, Kodjia, Tomlin

Bench: O'Leary, Ayling, O'Neil, Brownhill, Freeman, Abraham, Wilbraham (that's not confusing)

I'd put Williams on the bench for Freeman but other than that I agree

Abraham / Kodjia 

Tomlin

Bryan / Pack / Reid

Golbourne / Magnusson / Flint / Matthews

O'Donnell

Perhaps including Brownhill to strengthen midfield might be a safer bet and bringing Abraham on for Kodjia for last 30 minutes?

29 minutes ago, #roe said:

O'Donnell;
Matthews, Flint, Magners, Golbourne;
Reid, Pack, Bryan;
O'Dowda, Kodjia, Tomlin

Bench: O'Leary, Ayling, O'Neil, Brownhill, Freeman, Abraham, Wilbraham (that's not confusing)

It'd be this for me too except Brownhill will start for Reid I think. Also maybe Williams instead of O'Neil on the bench as reckon they're gonna give him time to get properly fit. 

We really are in so much a better position this year when you think about including Smith as well.

31 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

ROD

Matthews Flint Hordor Golbourne 

Pack Bryan

Reid

Freeman                      Tomlin

.                   Kodjia

O'Leary, Abraham, Wilbraham, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Williams, Ayling

Thats my guess. 4-3-3/4-5-1. Freeman getting the start to let Callum bed in a bit more at this level. 

Think Freeman will count himself very lucky to be in the starting 11

9 minutes ago, foghornred said:

What about our number 9 Abrahams who would not have joined us if he thought that he would not play ?

ll of the press releases stated he was going into the squad for the game tomorrow. To me, that means he'll be on the bench. If he was going to start I don't think they would have mentioned anything. Also, he only joined today so won't really know anyone. Give him a few weeks training, get to know the way people play and their names and he'll start pushing for a start.

1 minute ago, Doozerchris said:

Think Freeman will count himself very lucky to be in the starting 11

Probably. Just think he might get the go ahead for the first game but probably more a game for COD as an attacker against a weaker team in Wigan(weaker than our next few opponents). Freeman may start against Newcastle/Villa/Norwich for his defensive work. Who knows? Squad hasn't been this full for awhile. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

ROD

Golbourne

Flint

Magnusson

Matthews

Bryan

Pack

Brownhill

O'Dowda

Tomlin

kodjia

assumptions: smith suspended, GON not fit, Abraham bench  

My team too. Doubt Matthews will last the 90. Ayling to come on last 15-20. And if we're winning comfortably, or not, expect to see 10 mins of Abraham. Need Pack to provide protection in front back four. 

54 minutes ago, foghornred said:

What about our number 9 Abrahams who would not have joined us if he thought that he would not play ?

Now I'm confused, because so many people on here called Wibraham, Abrahams (or Albie, bizarrely!) for some inexplicable reason...

Assume you mean the new guy from Chelsea....but wot about Tomlinson? This guy was mentioned so much but apparently he has never made a single appearance?!

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Now I'm confused, because so many people on here called Wibraham, Abrahams (or Albie, bizarrely!) for some inexplicable reason...

Assume you mean the new guy from Chelsea....but wot about Tomlinson? This guy was mentioned so much but apparently he has never made a single appearance?!

And don't start me on Junior Benteke. 

Going by the friendly last week I'd go...

ROD

Matthews    Flint.   Hordur.    Goldbourne

Freeman.     Pack.  Brownhill.  Bryan

Tomlin 

Kodjia 

41 minutes ago, Super said:

Why are people picking freeman any other option is a better one.

38 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Just not Mark Little.

They are both decent players  whether they will compete this season who knows but they both have value in terms of readies and to the squad. 

My guess and as I started the thread is Freeman will start as he is mobile and we have no Korey. 

LJ likes Bryan as a full back and has said as much thus 442 is possible with Abraham up front with Kodjia with Goldbourne on the bench. But who the hell knows!  Great position to be in!

I'd go with the following, the defence picks it self really;

ROD

Mathews Flint Magnusson & Golbourne

Pack

Freeman Reid Bryan 

Tomlin

Kodjia

Subs

Ayling (for the tiring Mathews) Williams (just in case Hordor isn't up to speed)

O'Dowda Abrahams Wilbraham GON Brownhills & O'Leary.

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

ROD

Golbourne

Flint

Magnusson

Matthews

Bryan

Pack

Brownhill

O'Dowda

Tomlin

kodjia

assumptions: smith suspended, GON not fit, Abraham bench  

Agree with your assumptions, but.....

3 hours ago, ojjy said:

Going by the friendly last week I'd go...

ROD

Matthews    Flint.   Hordur.    Goldbourne

Freeman.     Pack.  Brownhill.  Bryan

Tomlin 

Kodjia 

....that's the eleven for me.  Freeman just gets the nod over O'Dowda for me, 1) for his experience and 2) corners.

Got a sneaky feeling Magnússon might notch tomorrow.

As for subs:

O'Leary (been given a squad number, Lucic hasn't)

Ayling

Williams

O'Dowda

Reid

Wilbraham

Abraham

no place on bench for Jonny Smith or Diego Girolama or Keiran Agard or Arnold Garita

Injuries to K.Smith, Little, Fielding and O'Neil

now, who gave I missed :whistle:

I'd imagine this:

O'Donnell

Matthews        Flint        Hodor       Golbourne

O'Dowda        Pack        Brownhill        Bryan

Tomlin

Kodjia

I hope we don't have Tomlin out wide and I can't imagine Tammy will start the first game.

7 hours ago, Nibor said:

I'd imagine this:

O'Donnell

Tomlin

Kodjia

I hope we don't have Tomlin out wide and I can't imagine Tammy will start the first game.

Yep, this for me too.

12 hours ago, grifty said:

ll of the press releases stated he was going into the squad for the game tomorrow. To me, that means he'll be on the bench. If he was going to start I don't think they would have mentioned anything. Also, he only joined today so won't really know anyone. Give him a few weeks training, get to know the way people play and their names and he'll start pushing for a start.

That's how I'm seeing it too. If he had had pre season with us yes a starter, but I'm thinking he will be subbed on to a huge welcome with 25 to go. 

7 hours ago, Nibor said:

I'd imagine this:

O'Donnell

Tomlin

Kodjia

Be happy with that team, think O'Dowda should start over Freeman will maybe a change later in the game.

Certainly good to have the season back!

7 hours ago, Nibor said:

I'd imagine this:

O'Donnell

Tomlin

Kodjia

Looks about it to me, but id prefer some extra strength in centre midfield, hope smith and gon will be available soon.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Going slightly off subject, but calling Wilbraham Albie isn't bizarre. When he joined he said one of his previous managers nicknames him Alby/Albie as he reminded him of an albatross because of his build. He said the name stuck and everyone calls him that. He told me when someone calls him Aaron he doesn't really click they are meaning him anymore. 

So I'm afraid we are stuck with that and with Abrahams having such a distinctive first name I think that will be used to separate them, by us on here if not officially by commentators etc?

One thing for sure is we will have a decent bench this season. LJ has to work his magic now to get them playing as a unit whichever 11 are on the pitch. This could be a rollercoaster but if we click........WOW.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's a boost, but Brownhill will do well this season when he gets minutes.

Looking forward to seeing Brownhill had good reviews. But O'Neil will bring game management and certainly adds to the spine of the team. Guess question is does Johnson risk him?

1 hour ago, Luxo Jr. said:

He definitely did things people accused him of not doing last season. He beat players and played good attacking passes. Two assists for O Neill though.

Flashes of the old Luke today, he looked to be looking to play a pass as soon as possible rather than beat half their team and it worked. One in particular along the edge of the box to Tomlin(?) was brilliant.

Archived