IGNORED

A little worried about future striker signing.

Tipps69

10 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/lee-johnson-reveals-extent-of-bristol-city-s-gamble-in-waiting-for-chelsea-starlet-tammy-abraham/story-29594032-detail/story.html

Sounds like we have no back up plan if JK does happens to move on or if he goes to AFCON.

Can we really depend on an 18 year-old, a 35 year-old & someone who has so far failed to impress at this level?

IMO Agard not good enough,and Wilbs though a top bloke would not still be here without the contract clause,and only fit for the occasional 'cameo'.....I have no idea on recall regarding Wes's loan ???..as with the c/half situation we are thin still and an injury away from a problem.I don't imagine LJ is happy with squad depth,even with the longer term in mind.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Mind you a couple of season's ago we lost our front two, and look what happened then !

JET and Smith stepped up to the plate

Can't quite imagine Wilbraham and Agard having the same effect somehow! Smith and JET would've been top players for pretty much any side in that league.

25 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/lee-johnson-reveals-extent-of-bristol-city-s-gamble-in-waiting-for-chelsea-starlet-tammy-abraham/story-29594032-detail/story.html

Sounds like we have no back up plan if JK does happens to move on or if he goes to AFCON.

Can we really depend on an 18 year-old, a 35 year-old & someone who has so far failed to impress at this level?

Tammy A maybe be only 18 but so is the likes of Marcus Rashford. If Tammy does turn out to be a very good player for us he'll have no problem leading the attack in JK's absence if he does go to the ACON.

I'm sure City will have a good list of potential strikers that they will be keeping a good eye on over the next 4 months and if JK is still on the books here or away at the ACON, then City will reinvest accordingly. With LJ, Mark Ashton and Des Taylor at the helm I'm much more confident of City's recruitment process. We're in a good, stable position. Compared to this time 12 months ago, it's amazing how far the club have come. Don't panic.

Kodjia ain't going anywhere. Lansdown's rightly ruled out selling him to a rival Championship club. And Norwich would be the only team left who could afford him. And as they missed out on McCormack they're on the look out for another attacker but will have to look elsewhere. 

And Kodjia is a work in progress. He's not good enough to play in the Premiership. He may be in a year's time. So, think it's safe to say he's staying for this season at least. 

I'd still like another attacker either way. Someone with Championship experience. Even better, someone who's played in the Prem but is surplus to requirements. 

33 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

IMO Agard not good enough,and Wilbs though a top bloke would not still be here without the contract clause,and only fit for the occasional 'cameo'.....I have no idea on recall regarding Wes's loan ???..as with the c/half situation we are thin still and an injury away from a problem.I don't imagine LJ is happy with squad depth,even with the longer term in mind.

I believe the Scottish Premiership has just introduced a winter break in January, if this coincides with the AFCON then it could be a good idea to get him back if JK is selected and let him return to Aberdeen afterwards.

Thé transfer window isnt over yet.I can see us signing another good striker,defender and midfielder before the window shuts.With the stadium finished and larger attendances along with all the corporate facilities i think we will go for It this Season.

all this rubbish about mid table finish,we need to strike while the irons hot.

I'd imagine Abraham was from a different pool of strikers to any replacement from Kodjia. The fact is that, if we sell Kodjia then we have several million more in the budget, whatever we're paying him in wages and also a space for a first choice striker.  I'd imagine we'd be going after very different targets if that were the case. 

I remember wen Lee brought his Oldham side to Ashton Gate and it was filled with kids and unknown fringe players - yet they played good football and were a bit of a surprise package.  He is good at building players from unpromising beginnings and I hope that between him, Mr Ashton and his scouts, a few unfancied rough diamonds can be found and polished into good Championship players.  We really do need cover for Aden Flint because someone else reported that Zac Vyner was wearing a protective boot at the weekend and that would leave us with two left footed CHs.  Wes could always be recalled in January if we are left a bit short up front.

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

However, new Rules, no Smithesque type.

the transfer window opens in Jan 01st 2017, the AFCON starts Jan 14th 2017  I'm pretty sure we can still loan a player in the transfer window,

29 minutes ago, cynic said:

With Vyner out for six weeks it would seem that RCB is a more pressing priority at the moment.

Still time to get a striker and CB in before the window shuts though.

I'm not saying they are first choice but can't Ayling cover for RCB? We do have 2 other right backs besides him so while you wouldn't want it long term we could perhaps cope short term?

24 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

I'm not saying they are first choice but can't Ayling cover for RCB? We do have 2 other right backs besides him so while you wouldn't want it long term we could perhaps cope short term?

rather play with 10 men then have ayling as a championship Centre back, He's a right back, he is too gung ho for a centre back and gets caught out of position far to often

36 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Ayling is not in LJ plans as back up centre back considering his comments that either pack or Wilbraham would have to play there should flint get injured 

Assuming we continue to play one up front then I would say Kodjia, Abraham, Agard and Wilbraham is a satisfactory quartet. Realistically we are not going to sign a striker significantly better than Agard/Wilbs who is going to be satisfied to be third choice. Wilbraham may be old but still offers something "different" and can be used sparingly. I also don't think Kodjia is going anywhere and on that basis I see no reason to worry.

As I understand new rules we cannot recall Burns during his season long loan

But we will be getting McClusky back and still have the option of keeping Garita here rather than sending him out on loan.  And can't Smith play as a striker ?

However feel sure another striker will be on his way before end of transfer window plus a central midfielder

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

As I understand new rules we cannot recall Burns during his season long loan

But we will be getting McClusky back and still have the option of keeping Garita here rather than sending him out on loan.  And can't Smith play as a striker ?

However feel sure another striker will be on his way before end of transfer window plus a central midfielder

We have a recall option so we can recall him in Jan 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

rather play with 10 men then have ayling as a championship Centre back, He's a right back, he is too gung ho for a centre back and gets caught out of position far to often

I'm sorry what a ridiculous statement. Maybe you were just fishing and I've bitten but Ayling is a good solid pro and whether you rate him or not to say having no one is better than playing him is just stupid.

44 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

I'm sorry what a ridiculous statement. Maybe you were just fishing and I've bitten but Ayling is a good solid pro and whether you rate him or not to say having no one is better than playing him is just stupid.

Solid pro yes but he's not a centre back, it's like playing kodja in goal of hodar up front,

ge proved last season that he's not good enough at this level at centre back 

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Solid pro yes but he's not a centre back, it's like playing kodja in goal of hodar up front,

Its not like that at all as Ayling is by trade a defensive player, just one you don't rate. In any case, in both of those examples youve given, they would still be better in those positions than having no player so like I said, a ridiculous statement. Trying to figure out if you're just trying to be 'out there' with you're opinion just to get a reaction.

4 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Its not like that at all as Ayling is by trade a defensive player, just one you don't rate. In any case, in both of those examples youve given, they would still be better in those positions than having no player so like I said, a ridiculous statement. Trying to figure out if you're just trying to be 'out there' with you're opinion just to get a reaction.

I never said I don't rate him, I don't rate him as a centre back because of his postioning and his gung Ho nature 

25 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Agree , but to be fair , I wonder how much the system or the use of it dictated that. Cott's had everyone except Flint attack , would be interesting to know if he could manage to be more disciplined .

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I never said I don't rate him, I don't rate him as a centre back because of his postioning and his gung Ho nature 

But that wasn't my point. I'm not discussing whether you rate him or not or whether I do. What I am questioning is you saying it would be better to have no one playing there rather than him which quite clearly is a ridiculous statement for a defensive professional footballer who has plied his trade in the top 3 leagues of English football for the lastv4 or 5 years.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I'm with you. I like Ayling but I'd rather go with Williams and Magnusson I think. Ayling I think was asked to get forward at times in the back 3 but he's not a CB in a back 4. It'll be a shame for Zak though if we bring in someone just because he's injured but always likely with no loans and us not having another right footed CB ready to step up(think Baldwin would be next up and think Kelly is left footed) I think it was always on the cards. I think another loan would do wonders here. I can't give an example but maybe someone who's still youngish with some senior football experience but not quite ready or not preferred anymore much like Baker and Moore were. I'd like to see Zak get some time but the injury has come at a bad time for him. 

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

But that wasn't my point. I'm not discussing whether you rate him or not or whether I do. What I am questioning is you saying it would be better to have no one playing there rather than him which quite clearly is a ridiculous statement for a defensive professional footballer who has plied his trade in the top 3 leagues of English football for the lastv4 or 5 years.

I would rather Williams play there a actual centre back by trade

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I would rather Williams play there a actual centre back by trade

Oh my life. Are you really not getting it or just bring deliberately obtuse? Your view on how good he is as a centre back or whether others would be better was not my point. You said you'd prefer no one over him playing  that is what I picked up on as being ridiculous. I'm not sure I've seen you admit being wrong in the past so not really expecting you to do so and suspect that is the reason for some of your completely irrelevant responses to my initial post.

4 hours ago, City169 said:

They have to register a squad before they play a game, but this can then be changed until the end of the transfer window so it wouldn't be until then that we'd know who definitely won't be in the squad.

U21s don't need to be registered in the 25 man squad to play.  There are other rules re home-grown etc that might make a Prem club name an u21 though!

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Centre Back was his position at Arsenal....alongside Leeds loanee Kyle Bartley in their successful FA Youth Cup run.  It is possible for manager tactics to dictate how a player is asked to play.  LJ could play him instead of Flint, and say "don't effin' dribble it, just lump it or go sideways, no fancy stuff Luke".  Which is probably what he instructs Flint to do, albeit he isn't curbing natural instincts as much.

Have we seen him play right side of a two in a back four since he's been here?  Can't recall it.

I accept that LJ didn't call him out when mentioning options.

Archived