IGNORED

Replacing Agard?

redsince66

who is someone you think we can (relistically) get permanently to replace Agard? I personally feel we should have played him more on the right, that's where all his goals came from at Rotherham. Shame to see him go as he was a good bit of eye candy. Anyway, my top 3:

1. Will Grigg

2. Reuben Reid

3. Adam Le Fondre

14 minutes ago, redsince66 said:

who is someone you think we can (relistically) get permanently to replace Agard? I personally feel we should have played him more on the right, that's where all his goals came from at Rotherham. Shame to see him go as he was a good bit of eye candy. Anyway, my top 3:

1. Will Grigg

2. Reuben Reid

3. Adam Le Fondre

Realistically we can do a hell of a lot better than any of those three!

Lee Gregory

Paddy Madden

Perhaps the less obvious option of Caolan Lavery. Would hope to sign another striker as well as him, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Shocked to see people suggesting Nakhi Wells. A fantastic player no doubt, but would cost upwards of £8 million. Derby, Norwich and Wolves all linked.

Whoever comes in will need to play second fiddle to Kodjia and Abraham most of the season barring combination of injury and ACON.  That is going to be a difficult sell to anyone other than a young up and coming, bags of potential type of striker.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Whoever comes in will need to play second fiddle to Kodjia and Abraham most of the season barring combination of injury and ACON.  That is going to be a difficult sell to anyone other than a young up and coming, bags of potential type of striker.

Exactly, especially If we're going for one up top with Tomlin just behind. Personally would like to see another CB before a replacement for Agard.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Remind me, why did we let Wes go to Aberdeen?  We wouldn't need any replacement for Agard.  Kodjia, Abraham, Wilbs, Burns, all coupled with Tomlin would be fine for our formation / style of play.

Because we can't guarantee Wes first team football which is what he needs. Hopefully the loan will do him the world of good and he can come back and challenge for a place but realistically he wouldn't get enough minutes here yet.

I'd be more tempted to look for a right sided centre half before a striker, think a backup for Flint is more important at the moment.

If we were looking for a striker, I would either look to sign a young Wilbraham type, big strong, who can learn from Wilbs over the season or loan another experienced striker at this level.

Admittedly no ides come straight to mind but I'm sure LJ has some!!

6 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Because we can't guarantee Wes first team football which is what he needs. Hopefully the loan will do him the world of good and he can come back and challenge for a place but realistically he wouldn't get enough minutes here yet.

I'd be more tempted to look for a right sided centre half before a striker, think a backup for Flint is more important at the moment.

If we were looking for a striker, I would either look to sign a young Wilbraham type, big strong, who can learn from Wilbs over the season or loan another experienced striker at this level.

Admittedly no ides come straight to mind but I'm sure LJ has some!!

I think you're spot on with our key priority, should be additional defensive cover before looking at the forward options again.  If we couldn't guarantee Wes enough game time for him to develop, then we don't really require another striker in the squad at present.

25 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Remind me, why did we let Wes go to Aberdeen?  We wouldn't need any replacement for Agard.  Kodjia, Abraham, Wilbs, Burns, all coupled with Tomlin would be fine for our formation / style of play.

Wes needs games.  Think we'll be one up top most of the season with Tammy/Kodjia sharing duties.

28 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Wilbraham aside, who won't play that regularly, there's very little championship experience there. If we want to progress, we need experience and/or quality to supplement our forwards. Burns is better off playing regularly at a lower standard than being on the bench here.

1 minute ago, Red Army Faction said:

Wes needs games.  Think we'll be one up top most of the season with Tammy/Kodjia sharing duties.

Yep, I'd agree with that.  Interesting to see who'll win our golden boot duel, so far Tammy isn't giving JK a chance!

Tammy A v Jay Kay.   I like the option of both of those two if we are chasing a game like Saturday.

I expect a bit more attacking from midfield.  O'Dowda lightning quick on the break.  Maybe another quick winger for the right coming in rather than a striker?  

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wilbraham aside, who won't play that regularly, there's very little championship experience there. If we want to progress, we need experience and/or quality to supplement our forwards. Burns is better off playing regularly at a lower standard than being on the bench here.

Wonder how soon the club are looking to progress further, i.e challenge for a genuine promotion shot.  As it stands, our squad is not equipped for such a challenge (IMO), but if we stick until January, or even next summer, and we've established as a top 12 Championship club, then the calibre of forward player we can afford / attract will improve again, massively.

Just now, reddogkev said:

Wonder how soon the club are looking to progress further, i.e challenge for a genuine promotion shot.  As it stands, our squad is not equipped for such a challenge (IMO), but if we stick until January, or even next summer, and we've established as a top 12 Championship club, then the calibre of forward player we can afford / attract will improve again, massively.

I agree, if progression is fast tracked so to speak, I can see Burns' opportunities limited further. For me, he's not championship standard yet and needs more composure and intelligence in his game - those things come from playing regularly which he will do this season.

I think we will bring in another forward this summer, I can see it being a reasonably expensive one too.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree, if progression is fast tracked so to speak, I can see Burns' opportunities limited further. For me, he's not championship standard yet and needs more composure and intelligence in his game - those things come from playing regularly which he will do this season.

I think we will bring in another forward this summer, I can see it being a reasonably expensive one too.

Unless we sell Kodjia, I just can't see it.  Would be impressed if we did though, but unless they're something special, that player wouldn't be guaranteed a spot in the first team.

All this talk of Wells is silly. He'll cost just as much as we want to sell Kodjia for and why wouldn't he? Similarly struggling side, similar goal return, similar age and Wells has more experience in this league! If we are going to have another multimillion pound deal for a striker it'll most likely be one from Europe. Better value for money. I can't see buying any championship striker who's worth 10 goals or more. We'll have to gamble again if we want another top class striker. 

Hi All, this is my first post on here so please be gentle with me.

I'm sorry to bring up the 'Smith" word again but I still feel that Matt Smith would be a good fit, he's big & strong & just what some of the posters are asking for.

Can you please give me genuine reasons why we shouldn't go for him.

Love this site, far more knowledge here than the BEP.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Like Wes Burns or Shawn McClousky ...

8 hours ago, bpexile said:

Hi All, this is my first post on here so please be gentle with me.

I'm sorry to bring up the 'Smith" word again but I still feel that Matt Smith would be a good fit, he's big & strong & just what some of the posters are asking for.

Can you please give me genuine reasons why we shouldn't go for him.

Love this site, far more knowledge here than the BEP.

I agree with you but with the sales of McCormack and Dembele,  Smith is now a starter and I'm sure will prove to be effective for Fulham .

I think it is too late for us now .

Welcome to the Happy House .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Chris Wood , if we're doing Wilbraham replacement therapy.

Or some player tearing up a minor league like Uzbekistan or Lithuania for example .

Thought it was a good buy last year for Leeds. 3m if I'm remembering correctly. Sure he'll cost at least double that now. Shame because he ticks all the boxes we look fit as well. 

Archived