IGNORED

Celtic - In Trouble again

Super

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Taking aside any personal opinions on both Celtic fans and the Israel-Palestine situation, in what way is this offensive? Provocative, certainly. But it's not offensive 

It's offensive because it's designed to be offensive.

Like singing "where's your wife?" to a recently divorced player.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's offensive because it's designed to be offensive.

Like singing "where's your wife?" to a recently divorced player.

How is it anything like that? It's displaying the flag of a nation/quasi-nation that is recognised by the Israeli state. Provocative, definitely; it's showing solidarity with a group of people with whom Israel is in conflict. But it's not offensive

The Green Brigade- for all their many, many, many faults- actually have a history of supporting the Palestinian cause and similar causes, so clearly it's more than just a mindles act of offensiveness

15 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Taking aside any personal opinions on both Celtic fans and the Israel-Palestine situation, in what way is this offensive? Provocative, certainly. But it's not offensive 

They choose to hold up Palestine flags for 1 reason ... To offend the fans of the club they played last night. That's why it's offensive. Doesn't need a brain surgeon to work that out.

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

How is it anything like that? It's displaying the flag of a nation/quasi-nation that is recognised by the Israeli state. Provocative, definitely; it's showing solidarity with a group of people with whom Israel is in conflict. But it's not offensive

The Green Brigade- for all their many, many, many faults- actually have a history of supporting the Palestinian cause and similar causes, so clearly it's more than just a mindles act of offensiveness

You speak like it's a single entity like a political movement.

So you think every one of those holding up the flags is doing it because through a lengthy study of the history of the middle east they have come to the conculsion that morally they should be showing solidarity with the Palestinian cause, or, as I would have it, that they have been told that it is a good way to wind up and offend the opposition?

I know that there is an element of Palestinian support up there and that whatever town George Galloway was mayor of used to fly that flag; I do read newspapers.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You speak like it's a single entity like a political movement.

So you think every one of those holding up the flags is doing it because through a lengthy study of the history of the middle east they have come to the conculsion that morally they should be showing solidarity with the Palestinian cause, or, as I would have it, that they have been told that it is a good way to wind up and offend the opposition?

I know that there is an element of Palestinian support up there and that whatever town George Galloway was mayor of used to fly that flag; I do read newspapers.

So what you're saying is that despite there being a history of support for this particular issue within this particular group of fans, which has been expressed at matches which have absolutely nothing to do with Israel or Palestine, this particular occasion was motivated entirely by malice for the opposition? It may well have been a contributory factor, but it's certainly not the whole story

Just now, chipdawg said:

So what you're saying is that despite there being a history of support for this particular issue within this particular group of fans, which has been expressed at matches which have absolutely nothing to do with Israel or Palestine, this particular occasion was motivated entirely by malice for the opposition? It may well have been a contributory factor, but it's certainly not the whole story

Who said "entirely"?  Primarily motivated by malice would be my description.

47 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Astounding.

celtic-palestine-flags_3767119.jpg?20160

What a nasty bunch of fans. It's not like it's just the odd one as I was expecting.

Rights and wrongs of the Levantine situation aside this is just thinking "How can I be really offensive?".

Edit: their opponents were Hapoel Be'er Sheva, an Israeli team.

Just now, Eddie Hitler said:

Who said "entirely"?  Primarily motivated by malice would be my description.

Not really a great deal of nuance regarding the history of the subject in your first post on the thread Eddie

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

Not really a great deal of nuance regarding the history of the subject in your first post on the thread Eddie

I was expecting one or two flags prior to seeing the picture; in that case I woudl have put your interpretation upon it.

Having seen the picture it is typical scumbag Celtic fans.  If they were playing a US team they'd be waving ISIS flags.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I was expecting one or two flags prior to seeing the picture; in that case I woudl have put your interpretation upon it.

Having seen the picture it is typical scumbag Celtic fans.  If they were playing a US team they'd be waving ISIS flags.

Fair enough, though I think you underestimate the level of organisation that exists within that group of fans. I'm in no way a fan of Celtic or their hardcore fans, I just think there is more to this than trying to wind up the opposition. I think if they'd really wanted to upset the other team and their fans they could have been more provocative than holding up a flag

Just now, chipdawg said:

Fair enough, though I think you underestimate the level of organisation that exists within that group of fans. I'm in no way a fan of Celtic or their hardcore fans, I just think there is more to this than trying to wind up the opposition. I think if they'd really wanted to upset the other team and their fans they could have been more provocative than holding up a flag

I think they'd have been thrown out then because they couldn't put a justification upon it.

Glad that nobody has dived into the politics of it (which I don't think are hugely relevant to this anyway) or the thread would have been shunted into non-football.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think they'd have been thrown out then because they couldn't put a justification upon it.

Glad that nobody has dived into the politics of it (which I don't think are hugely relevant to this anyway) or the thread would have been shunted into non-football.

Possibly, but again that comes down to how you view the basis of their actions. The only ones that know are The Green Brigade I suppose, though I think they have minuted meetings to decide these things so it may be a matter of public record!

Agreed. Our personal views on the political situation don't really matter in this case

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....they also support the IRA 

Yep; one of the aforementioned many, many, many faults and the reason I have no time for that team or those fans. But in this particular case there is a history and a context that I felt should be introduced to the debate 

Just now, chipdawg said:

Yep; one of the aforementioned many, many, many faults and the reason I have no time for that team or those fans. But in this particular case there is a history and a context that I felt should be introduced to the debate 

Fair comment - I just don't have any time for that club or its fans - that 'Bloodstained poppies' banner around Remembrance Day, chanting vile abuse at our troops at The Emirates - etc etc etc etc etc

The context being that they think Hamas are damn fine chaps and they really hate the joooz?

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The context being that they think Hamas are damn fine chaps and they really hate the joooz?

The context being that they've shown support and fund raised for Palestine in the past. You can disagree with them doing so if you like (though as myself and Eddie H just said, we should probably keep that to one side), but it's relevant where people think the flags are purely an act of aggression towards the opposition 

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

What place does it have in football though? 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Who are we to say? Celtic fans have no right to tell us what to do in our stadium, who are we to tell them what to do in theirs? If they broke a law then the authorities will come down on them (and despite my defence of their actions, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some unsavoury chants at Celtic Park last night), but I don't think displaying a flag recognised by the UK, Israel, The EU and the UN is going to break a law

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

The context being that they've shown support and fund raised for Palestine in the past. You can disagree with them doing so if you like (though as myself and Eddie H just said, we should probably keep that to one side), but it's relevant where people think the flags are purely an act of aggression towards the opposition 

The Guardian would have gone into meltdown, if for example Rangers fans had displayed Stars Of David if playing a (purely hypothetical) Palestinian side. Where do we draw the line? And just being terrorist fundraisers does not legitimise anything.

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The Guardian would have gone into meltdown, if for example Rangers fans had displayed Stars Of David if playing a (purely hypothetical) Palestinian side. Where do we draw the line? And just being terrorist fundraisers does not legitimise anything.

<sigh>

i don't seek to justify anything that they have done. I've not displayed a single personal opinion on the Israeli-Palestine situation and I'm not going to start now. Rangers couldn't possibly play a Palestinian team in such a fixture, because no such teams are recognised by UEFA, which (it could be argued) is a small part of this group of of Celtic fans issue with the situation. If Celtic fans are supplying money to prescribed terrorist organisations then I hope they are dealt with appropriately by the law, but not every pound, dollar or Euro that goes to Palestine is used in the pursuit of terrorism. Some of it might go towards feeding and clothing desperately poor people

Right, this has got far too serious. I'm off to the transfer forum to suggest we sign a completely unrealistic player from a Premier League team

Guest Malaggro is back

This bunch have a long history of supporting the 'so say' politically oppressed.

IRA - Ireland

ETA - Basque Country

Hammas - Palestine

They love to pin their colours to any group who seek recognition of their cause / independence. All of these flags are regularly flown at their ground. Literature of an extreme, pro-terroist nature is freely available in the walk to Parkhead.

I've not seen it myself but I wouldn't be suprised if at some point there had been a call to arms and a supportive gesture for Argentina and their claims over the Falkland Islands or a call to free the Isle of Wight from the yoke of Hampshire's opressive regime.

14 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Who are we to say? Celtic fans have no right to tell us what to do in our stadium, who are we to tell them what to do in theirs? If they broke a law then the authorities will come down on them (and despite my defence of their actions, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some unsavoury chants at Celtic Park last night), but I don't think displaying a flag recognised by the UK, Israel, The EU and the UN is going to break a law

Interesting quote from The Scotsman newspaper:

"Though carrying the flag of a foreign nation would not be considered in breach of the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act (Scotland) 2012, the nature of Celtic’s opponents could mean the flag waving will be interpreted as “stirring up hatred against a group of persons based on their membership (or presumed membership) of a group defined by reference to a thing mentioned in subsection (4)” which includes “nationality” and “ethnic or national origins”.

This will be the 9th time in 5 years the Green Brigade has landed their club in trouble with the rulers of European football - and they've been fined for the Palestine thing before...they'll never learn and yet they call Rangers' fans 'Scotland's Shame'...pathetic

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Politics and football have long gone hand in hand. For example in the Eastern Bloc, football stadiums were the only place that people could regularly congregate to express their displeasure at their governments. 

Barcelona and Bilbao often have pro-independence displays in their ground.

Bristol City fans had a flag day in a pub with a massive banner (all be it past the referendum) expressing a strong political leaning to leave the EU. 

You could even argue that minute silences for terror attacks and 11/11 at football is also political. 

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I thinks it's a Catholic thing really. History surely proves that!. 

Image result for nazi salute priest

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Politics and football have long gone hand in hand. For example in the Eastern Bloc, football stadiums were the only place that people could regularly congregate to express their displeasure at their governments. 

Bristol City fans had a flag day in a pub with a massive banner (all be it past the referendum) expressing a strong political leaning to leave the EU. 

You could even argue that minute silences for terror attacks and 11/11 at football is also political. 

Agree. Having lived in Barcelona for a time, the independence movement as part of the culture of that football team is huge. Their rival, Espanyol, is anti independence which makes their rivalry more interesting. Spain doesn't have the same amount of football violence as other European countries, otherwise their games would get quite tasty if played elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

<sigh>

i don't seek to justify anything that they have done. I've not displayed a single personal opinion on the Israeli-Palestine situation and I'm not going to start now. Rangers couldn't possibly play a Palestinian team in such a fixture, because no such teams are recognised by UEFA, which (it could be argued) is a small part of this group of of Celtic fans issue with the situation. If Celtic fans are supplying money to prescribed terrorist organisations then I hope they are dealt with appropriately by the law, but not every pound, dollar or Euro that goes to Palestine is used in the pursuit of terrorism. Some of it might go towards feeding and clothing desperately poor people

Right, this has got far too serious. I'm off to the transfer forum to suggest we sign a completely unrealistic player from a Premier League team

I did say hypothetically, as I'm aware they have no recognised sides.

I agree...sometimes these debates can get out of hand. I'm going out to Lidl for some belly pork! Mmmmm.

5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Life is political.

I think there are many many people who support Argentina's claim over the Falklands. Let's be fair it was a small minority of a 50,000 crowd waving the flags just like it was a small minority of the East End that used to mock the tragic deaths of many children while singing "Aberfan" at Cardiff fans

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I did say hypothetically, as I'm aware they have no recognised sides.

I agree...sometimes these debates can get out of hand. I'm going out to Lidl for some belly pork! Mmmmm.

Stop it! It's still half an hour until lunch and you're making me hungry!

If the silly "Bhoys" knew anything about Israeli football, they would know that teams called Hapoel ("hammer") were established by the Communist Party and still have close links with Israeli left-wing parties. Therefore they have tended to win support from Israeli Arabs - and indeed Be'er Shiva have a number of Palestinian players.

42 minutes ago, harrys said:

I think there are many many people who support Argentina's claim over the Falklands. Let's be fair it was a small minority of a 50,000 crowd waving the flags just like it was a small minority of the East End that used to mock the tragic deaths of many children while singing "Aberfan" at Cardiff fans

Maybe in Argentina and the labour party.

The small minority is a fair point, however that should have made it easy to stop before it even occurred inside the ground, it has no place on a football terrace and Celtic have a woeful record of not preventing such protests and it really does not do the clubs image much good, hopefully UEFA will stand strong over this issue.

I agree with the Aberfan analogy it was unforgivable but right back in the dark days of football.

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

UEFA seem to disagree, Celtic are serial abusers of their rules they have been charged and found guilty and fined 8 times in 5 years and if true that the call for this 'demo' included abuse to one of their players then something is seriously wrong at the club.

41 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Maybe in Argentina and the labour party.

The small minority is a fair point, however that should have made it easy to stop before it even occurred inside the ground, it has no place on a football terrace and Celtic have a woeful record of not preventing such protests and it really does not do the clubs image much good, hopefully UEFA will stand strong over this issue.

I agree with the Aberfan analogy it was unforgivable but right back in the dark days of football.

I'm afraid it's how it is with the old firm, some of the anti-Pope songs that Rangers sing are vile thus offending millions upon millions of people around the world, don't seem to hear such an outcry on this forum when that happens, thank god we don't have to put up with this in the English game

28 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

UEFA seem to disagree, Celtic are serial abusers of their rules they have been charged and found guilty and fined 8 times in 5 years and if true that the call for this 'demo' included abuse to one of their players then something is seriously wrong at the club.

I don't think UEFA have said a word about it yet. Newspapers are speculating, as they do

I wish people would at least read what I've posted on this thread rather than jumping up and down and waving their pitchforks. I have not and am not defending or endorsing what those Celtic fans did last night, I am  merely adding context to a witch hunt

I don't think UEFA have said a word about it yet. Newspapers are speculating, as they do

I wish people would at least read what I've posted on this thread rather than jumping up and down and waving their pitchforks. I have not and am not defending or endorsing what those Celtic fans did last night, I am  merely adding context to a witch hunt

Indeed he isn't.  Chipdawg is neither backing the Celtic fans nor taking sides on the issue of Palestine.

It's an interesting subject but take it to new non-football thread possibly?

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It'll be someone else's fault, as usual.

They and their equally delightful neighbours are a boil on the arsehole of football. 

Can't argue with that, dread to think what would happen if the "Old Firm" we're ever allowed to play in the Premiership

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It'll be someone else's fault, as usual.

They and their equally delightful neighbours are a boil on the arsehole of football. 

This. Both of them display an irrational and dangerous hatred that has absolutely no place in modern football. I'm glad they are stuck in a poxy league where they can only really cause trouble in their occasional European games.

23 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

This. Both of them display an irrational and dangerous hatred that has absolutely no place in modern football. I'm glad they are stuck in a poxy league where they can only really cause trouble in their occasional European games.

They should be like us. We only despise the sags for being inbreds!

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

How the **** can this be a 'witch hunt'?, they have clearly broken UEFA's rules again for the 9th time in 5 years and this time the club had prior notice about this demonstration and failed to deal with it properly.

UEFA forbids political expressions in football.

2 hours ago, harrys said:

I'm afraid it's how it is with the old firm, some of the anti-Pope songs that Rangers sing are vile thus offending millions upon millions of people around the world, don't seem to hear such an outcry on this forum when that happens, thank god we don't have to put up with this in the English game

That's probably because Rangers have been out of European football for quite a few years and haven't have the sort of global exposure that Celtic have had.

i'm sure eventually Rangers will get there's.

Chipdawg I really have to commend you on the way you've posted about this topic. If everyone showed such rational, non-biased thinking the standard of discussion would be far greater.

I'm not really a fan of politics mixing with football, but equally I despise the grip Uefa and Fifa are intent on strangling fans with. Celtic are always a difficult subject on this forum because the clear hatred of a few users leads to some ridiculous hyperbole. I'm sure if it was another set of supporters raising those flags against an Israeli team there would not even be a whisper on this forum.

It is a shame these supporters continually make a rod for their own backs with these displays, but you know what; I'm getting too old and there are too many real atrocities going on the world these days for me to be overly concerned that already corrupt authorities and biased fans want to show faux rage that a few supporters holding up some flags is the most heinous act they've ever seen.

7 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Chipdawg I really have to commend you on the way you've posted about this topic. If everyone showed such rational, non-biased thinking the standard of discussion would be far greater.

I'm not really a fan of politics mixing with football, but equally I despise the grip Uefa and Fifa are intent on strangling fans with. Celtic are always a difficult subject on this forum because the clear hatred of a few users leads to some ridiculous hyperbole. I'm sure if it was another set of supporters raising those flags against an Israeli team there would not even be a whisper on this forum.

It is a shame these supporters continually make a rod for their own backs with these displays, but you know what; I'm getting too old and there are too many real atrocities going on the world these days for me to be overly concerned that already corrupt authorities and biased fans want to show faux rage that a few supporters holding up some flags is the most heinous act they've ever seen.

I have a modicum of understanding and respect for this post, but sadly in life we cannot cherry pick the laws that we might disagree with and given the prior notice Celtic as a club must have been aware of the potential repercussions of not stopping this demonstration.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I have a modicum of understanding and respect for this post, but sadly in life we cannot cherry pick the laws that we might disagree with and given the prior notice Celtic as a club must have been aware of the potential repercussions of not stopping this demonstration.

And I truly do not disagree with the at all. Let Uefa take whatever action they deem necessary. The club has had enough warnings so they cannot disagree with the penalties.

My main issue is with those that are offended merely because it's Celtic. I have no doubt that there are those lambasting the club, not because the fans have broken a Uefa rule or have any clue about where or what Palestine is about, but because 'it's Celtic' and they just want more reasons to actively dislike what they do.

There are similar Celtic fans that are the same way about Rangers so it swings both ways.

1 minute ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

And I truly do not disagree with the at all. Let Uefa take whatever action they deem necessary. The club has had enough warnings so they cannot disagree with the penalties.

My main issue is with those that are offended merely because it's Celtic. I have no doubt that there are those lambasting the club, not because the fans have broken a Uefa rule or have any clue about where or what Palestine is about, but because 'it's Celtic' and they just want more reasons to actively dislike what they do.

There are similar Celtic fans that are the same way about Rangers so it swings both ways.

indeed it does, but as I pointed out Rangers have been out of not only European competition but also the limelight, but perhaps now that the annual one horse race may soon revert to the status quo of a 2 horse race, Rangers fans will realise that the world has moved on.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

How the **** can this be a 'witch hunt'?, they have clearly broken UEFA's rules again for the 9th time in 5 years and this time the club had prior notice about this demonstration and failed to deal with it properly.

UEFA forbids political expressions in football.

I refer you back to the point when I suggested you actually read all my posts. The witch hunt is in people assuming that the sole reason for the display was to antagonise the opposing fans. All I have done is point out that this section of supporters have a long history of supporting this particular issue

11 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I refer you back to the point when I suggested you actually read all my posts. The witch hunt is in people assuming that the sole reason for the display was to antagonise the opposing fans. All I have done is point out that this section of supporters have a long history of supporting this particular issue

And I refer you to the point that I have not on this thread ever suggested that that was their intention, but however noble their intention was/is or maybe it is against UEFA's rules and should have been stopped.

45 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Did they wave their Palestinian flags at their last European game?

Malaggo has it just about right. The Green Brigade are pro terrorist. They are also racist despite their support for Antifa etc. Any cause they perceive to be anti British, anti American or anti Israeli they support up to their testicles. That is their context.

A few years ago one of the stronger teams from Northern Ireland was drawn against an Israeli club in the UEFA Cup (as was).

The club asked their fans not to flaunt scarves & hats etc for the away leg as the colours were the same as those of the PLO. Celtic appear to have turned that idea on it's head.

Then again more recently Celtic refused to have a poppy on their shirts in November as it represented "the British Army murdering innocent Irish and Afghan citizens".

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Did they wave their Palestinian flags at their last European game?

Does anyone remember that Lee & Herring sketch where Richard Lee played Jesus and every time someone questioned the logic of his teachings he said "but ahhhhh!" 

Thats my life right now

FOR THE LAST TIME, I DON'T CARE. I'M NOT DEFENDING OR CONDEMNING CELTIC AND THEIR FANS. I MERELY PRESENTED THE CONTEXT TO THEIR ACTIONS WHICH I FELT WAS MISSING FROM EARLIER POSTS

THAT IS ALL

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Does anyone remember that Lee & Herring sketch where Richard Lee played Jesus and every time someone questioned the logic of his teachings he said "but ahhhhh!" 

Thats my life right now

FOR THE LAST TIME, I DON'T CARE. I'M NOT DEFENDING OR CONDEMNING CELTIC AND THEIR FANS. I MERELY PRESENTED THE CONTEXT TO THEIR ACTIONS WHICH I FELT WAS MISSING FROM EARLIER POSTS

THAT IS ALL

:laughcont:

Yes I do remember that sketch, good reference.

6 hours ago, harrys said:

Spot on.  Can understand why Green Brigade's view on Ireland and wearing poppies would get abuse, but people are really going out of their way be offended here.

Most fair minded Israelis would concede that some form of Palestinian state needs to be created and recognised.  

Any opportunity to have a go at Celtic, Catholicism, or the Irish, eh lads???  We've had an ISIS gibe too.  Just like the Islam CSC.  Hilarious.  

Islam CSC

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Thats my life right now

THAT IS ALL

I'm simply querying the context of their actions.  I thought you'd appreciate that [obviously you wouldn't if it contradicts your original comments which were clearly in no way meant to mean anything].

PS No idea about the sketch.  "Lee & Herring" sounds like a 1990's ITV children's show.

41 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I'm simply querying the context of their actions.  I thought you'd appreciate that [obviously you wouldn't if it contradicts your original comments which were clearly in no way meant to mean anything].

PS No idea about the sketch.  "Lee & Herring" sounds like a 1990's ITV children's show.

To be fair you were merely the straw that broke this camels back and you're right; your original statement simply asks a question which could add further context. But there was no need to quote me in order to do that IMO 

Archived