IGNORED

New Assistant Coach: Dean Holden

View from the Dolman

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Intresting.. wonder if Pembo will still be here next season?

Pretty sure he will, it was outlined when there was talk of Wright coming in from Barnsley that it would be to help take the weight off of LJ & work alongside JP, so allowing LJ to concentrate on other facets.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

In his interview, he says "Of course, we've got a new training ground on the way ...". Have I missed something? Does he think that we're the Rovers?

Ashton Vale would be my guess - cannot find the pictures that were doing the rounds a while back, but it looks like they will build a cat 1 academy for Football and Rugby at Ashton Vale some time in the future.

This is great news. This is what LJ has wanted from the start. 2 assistant coaches to help take things over so he can do more 1 on 1 coaching. Shame it couldn't happen earlier as games are going to be coming quick over the next few months but I'm sure we've got the right guy as it looks we've done considerable research into this position. 

18 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Ashton Vale would be my guess - cannot find the pictures that were doing the rounds a while back, but it looks like they will build a cat 1 academy for Football and Rugby at Ashton Vale some time in the future.

I thought this might be the case a while back but with the rugby building in beggar bush lane I can't see Ashton vale happening. 92 acres would of been plenty for us, peanut huggers and academy. Have to wait and see. Do we rent the training ground off the school does anyone know ? 

Quote...

After leaving Bolton, Holden spent a couple of years in the SPL with Falkirk as well as the best part of a decade in League One. No one knows League One like Holden. To compliment the years spent playing there, he has fulfilled various roles as a coach, assistant manager, and manager in League One. He initially led the development side at Walsall, before being offered a role as first team coach with Lee Johnson at Oldham. After the pairs` success, Johnson moved on to Barnsley and Holden guided Oldham as manager for the rest of the 2014-15 season.

Holden is a well rounded, knowledgeable football man, he has obviously had a long career at many different clubs, trained as a referee and already gained experience coaching and as a manager, and has received the highest coaching qualification, the Uefa Pro License. He has a knack for developing young talent. As a senior player, development coach and first team coach at Walsall he has developed players like Romaine Sawyers and Rico Henry, both are up for the League One Player of the Season, and Football League Young Player of the Season respectively. Hopefully Wanderers` youngsters like Rob Holding, Josh Vela, Zach Clough, Alex Samizadeh and Jamie Thomas can benefit similarly from Holden.

Walsall have a very small budget considering their league position, but they are team with a great attitude, team spirit and footballing philosophy. Holden reflects that philosophy, having been instrumental in bringing back flowing, passing football to Walsall, after Dean Smith`s exit to Brentford resulted in a more negative, direct approach with Sean O`Driscoll. Since he arrived at the club their formed has dramatically turned around with 4 wins in 6, compared with 1 win in the previous 9 games.

Holden began his career under his mentor Sam Allardyce, who speaks very highly of him. Allardyce and Dean Smith are two of many contacts Holden has acquired over the years, who I`m sure Bolton would be able to exploit for their best young players on loan, something Ken Anderson has said he`d like to do.

Like Allardyce, anyone who Holden knows seems to give him high praise, current Walsall boss Jon Whitney has commented on his "tremendous drive" and "enthusiastic" personality, while Marc Iles had this to say... Deano will be a top manager one day. Mark my words.

Welcome to Dean Holden and I'm sure I speak for all true City fans when I say I wish you all the best in your new job. May you be very successful as that will mean the Club we all love, will be doing well.

Like many footballers, he wasn't a star even though he was at Man U as a youngster. Interesting article about him at this link.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/harsh-realities-for-footballer-dean-holden

NB; there are three pages of this article.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Welcome to Dean Holden and I'm sure I speak for all true City fans when I say I wish you all the best in your new job. May you be very successful as that will mean the Club we all love, will be doing well.

Like many footballers, he wasn't a star even though he was at Man U as a youngster. Interesting article about him at this link.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/harsh-realities-for-footballer-dean-holden

Welcome to the gate, sounds like a top bloke but sad to read about his lil daughter though put a lump in my throat.

28 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Welcome to the gate, sounds like a top bloke but sad to read about his lil daughter though put a lump in my throat.

Bloody hell I cried my eyes out, extra cuddle for my kids tonight and puts some of the things I moan about into perspective.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Quote...

After leaving Bolton, Holden spent a couple of years in the SPL with Falkirk as well as the best part of a decade in League One. No one knows League One like Holden. To compliment the years spent playing there, he has fulfilled various roles as a coach, assistant manager, and manager in League One. He initially led the development side at Walsall, before being offered a role as first team coach with Lee Johnson at Oldham. After the pairs` success, Johnson moved on to Barnsley and Holden guided Oldham as manager for the rest of the 2014-15 season.

Holden is a well rounded, knowledgeable football man, he has obviously had a long career at many different clubs, trained as a referee and already gained experience coaching and as a manager, and has received the highest coaching qualification, the Uefa Pro License. He has a knack for developing young talent. As a senior player, development coach and first team coach at Walsall he has developed players like Romaine Sawyers and Rico Henry, both are up for the League One Player of the Season, and Football League Young Player of the Season respectively. Hopefully Wanderers` youngsters like Rob Holding, Josh Vela, Zach Clough, Alex Samizadeh and Jamie Thomas can benefit similarly from Holden.

Walsall have a very small budget considering their league position, but they are team with a great attitude, team spirit and footballing philosophy. Holden reflects that philosophy, having been instrumental in bringing back flowing, passing football to Walsall, after Dean Smith`s exit to Brentford resulted in a more negative, direct approach with Sean O`Driscoll. Since he arrived at the club their formed has dramatically turned around with 4 wins in 6, compared with 1 win in the previous 9 games.

Holden began his career under his mentor Sam Allardyce, who speaks very highly of him. Allardyce and Dean Smith are two of many contacts Holden has acquired over the years, who I`m sure Bolton would be able to exploit for their best young players on loan, something Ken Anderson has said he`d like to do.

Like Allardyce, anyone who Holden knows seems to give him high praise, current Walsall boss Jon Whitney has commented on his "tremendous drive" and "enthusiastic" personality, while Marc Iles had this to say... Deano will be a top manager one day. Mark my words.

Shurely shome mishtake?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Edited to add a couple of extra exclamatory indicators, to clear up any possible ambiguity)

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks for that NB, I missed the other pages (not being sarcastic, I genuinely did). Bloody hell, what trauma to go through. Fair play to Dean Smith at Walsall for taking him on, too. If there's going to be a good, young, grounded ex-pro around for all our youngsters, it sounds like this bloke is the one. Immediate respect for what he's been through; unimaginable. Cheers for sharing this article. 

8 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Thanks for that NB, I missed the other pages (not being sarcastic, I genuinely did). Bloody hell, what trauma to go through. Fair play to Dean Smith at Walsall for taking him on, too. If there's going to be a good, young, grounded ex-pro around for all our youngsters, it sounds like this bloke is the one. Immediate respect for what he's been through; unimaginable. Cheers for sharing this article. 

Just echoing what you say. I read the article just now and almost wish I hadn't it's so harrowing. Full respect to anyone carrying on after that, but I guess you just have to.

I hope he will move his family down here, he really needs them with him and they must need him too after something like this. He sounds a strong character and will bring that to the team. Good luck and welcome to him.

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Bloody hell I cried my eyes out, extra cuddle for my kids tonight and puts some of the things I moan about into perspective.

The deepest,darkest of all nightmares...there is something in my eye...

Hoping this is a great move for him and his family.

Archived