IGNORED

Just back (on the M6) from Fleetwood

You Do The Dziekanowski

Fielding - Nothing to do, Claimed one cross other than that no saves to be made

Little - Solid. Kept it simple and moved the ball well 

Wright - Read the game really well, again looked solid.

Flint - Not really tested, done what he had to

Maggs - One little lapse in concentration led to a Fleetwood chance but apart from that read the game well

Bryan - The best game I've seen him play this season, strong and apart from his yellow he defended very well

O'Neil - Controlled the game kept the ball moving and got stuck in

Hegeler - As Johnson said. Class act, calm composed and strong. 

Paterson - Good finish, very good on the ball, linked midfield and attack very well

Engvall - Very good touch, just didn't quite get many chances tonight

Duric - It's Duric, you know, he's better than Edin Dzeko... looks like a very good target man! Great in the air, mobile and his little touches are brilliant

As I said to a fellow fan leaving the ground, I think the players needed that type of win to get some confidence. Grinding out a 1-0 

COYR

1 minute ago, cynic said:

Thanks for that, very encouraging regardless of the opposition (which were unbeaten in 11 or 12).

Can only beat what's in front of you and all that.

Hegeler in the middle is a must and keep the consistent back line as such and we should keep Forrest quiet on Saturday 

7 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Fielding - Nothing to do, Claimed one cross other than that no saves to be made

Little - Solid. Kept it simple and moved the ball well 

Wright - Read the game really well, again looked solid.

Flint - Not really tested, done what he had to

Maggs - One little lapse in concentration led to a Fleetwood chance but apart from that read the game well

Bryan - The best game I've seen him play this season, strong and apart from his yellow he defended very well

O'Neil - Controlled the game kept the ball moving and got stuck in

Hegeler - As Johnson said. Class act, calm composed and strong. 

Paterson - Good finish, very good on the ball, linked midfield and attack very well

Engvall - Very good touch, just didn't quite get many chances tonight

Duric - It's Duric, you know, he's better than Edin Dzeko... looks like a very good target man! Great in the air, mobile and his little touches are brilliant

As I said to a fellow fan leaving the ground, I think the players needed that type of win to get some confidence. Grinding out a 1-0 

COYR

Good report. Many thanks.

3 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Can only beat what's in front of you and all that.

Hegeler in the middle is a must and keep the consistent back line as such and we should keep Forrest quiet on Saturday 

Good stuff on the quick player ratings! Out of interest which CM played more further forward O Neil or Hegeler or did they just interchange ? 

Really glad to hear Little and Bryan played well...long may it continue.

However...to kick on, we desperately need another RB.

Little isn't going to be able to play every game as a wing back...I noticed he went off today as a precaution. That position is a bit of a worry.

If we continue to play 352 I'm struggling to see how Patterson, Reid and Tomlin are going to get regular games.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Little isn't going to be able to play every game as a wing back...I noticed he went off today as a precaution. That position is a bit of a worry.

If we continue to play 352 I'm struggling to see how Patterson, Reid and Tomlin are going to get regular games.

3-4-1-2? 3-4-2-1? 3-4-3? Possibilities are endless.

5 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Good stuff on the quick player ratings! Out of interest which CM played more further forward O Neil or Hegeler or did they just interchange ? 

Interchanged, although sometimes they both pushed forward but had the legs to work back. 

Not hettimg carried away as Fleetwood weren't the best but both the CM's controlled the game so well today and seemed to calm it down in those nervy last 15 minutes....

Just now, Up The City! said:

3-4-1-2? 3-4-2-1? 3-4-3? Possibilities are endless.

If we play 3 at the back, then the only players we have that can play wing backs 'reasonably' are Little and Bryan.

That leaves Hegeler and GoN/Pack DM's and one space left behind the front two.

You've got 3 players vying for one place.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is LJ playing  352 to get djuric and Tammy on the pitch together ? Would prefer 4 at the back to be honest with magners at left back . Like you say right back/ wing back is a worry. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

So are you saying we need a RB in order to play with a back four or do you mean a WB to play 3-5-2? I really don't see why we can't play a 3-5-1-1 to accomodate Tomlin/Reid/Patterson, if necessary or play a 3-4-1-2 to have Djuric and Tammy upfront with one of the creative players behind them. But then I play FM and I'm used to winning things :P

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Is LJ playing  352 to get djuric and Tammy on the pitch together ? Would prefer 4 at the back to be honest with magners at left back . Like you say right back/ wing back is a worry. 

It's definitely a head scratcher. Can only see Tomlin playing in a 352 or 4231. I can't see where he'd fit in a 442 unless you played him LM.

1 minute ago, Malbec said:

So are you saying we need a RB in order to play with a back four or do you mean a WB to play 3-5-2? I really don't see why we can't play a 3-5-1-1 to accomodate Tomlin/Reid/Patterson, if necessary or play a 3-4-1-2 to have Djuric and Tammy upfront with one of the creative players behind them. But then I play FM and I'm used to winning things :P

I think we need someone other than just Little who can play either RB or WB...basically because Matthews is out for a long spell again and we don't really have anyone else that is good enough to play those positions.

We could play 3511...if you wanted to drop Duric.

3412 could also be a possibility, with Tomlin in the hole.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

If we play 3 at the back, then the only players we have that can play wing backs 'reasonably' are Little and Bryan.

That leaves Hegeler and GoN/Pack DM's and one space left behind the front two.

You've got 3 players vying for one place.

I don't understand the rigid thinking of you need to play wing backs? 

Just now, spudski said:

It's definitely a head scratcher. Can only see Tomlin playing in a 352 or 4231. I can't see where he'd fit in a 442 unless you played him LM.

I think we need someone other than just Little who can play either RB or WB...basically because Matthews is out for a long spell again and we don't really have anyone else that is good enough to play those positions.

I wouldn't play tomlin at all with the lack of a shift he's put in recently . 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd give 3412 a go or even a 3142 if we needed to be a little more solid.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I don't understand the rigid thinking of you need to play wing backs? 

Basically you need players who can defend the Full back positions, as that's where the opposition would play in to.

If you have no wing backs playing with 3 at the back, they just double up on the flanks and drag your players out of position.

Despite the comments saying he's not good enough little had a good game tonight in a good team performance. Can't recall fleetwood having a proper chance apart from the cross shot in the 1st half. Joe hit the bar 2nd half and Patterson missed an easyish chance. Very impressed with Hegeler and O'Neil who totally bossed midfield and protected the back 3. 0-3 would have been a reasonable score line. Interesting to see who Lee selects on Saturday but apart from Tammy for engvall (who tried hard and had a 5 or 6/10 game) I can't see why he should make any other changes. 

1 minute ago, spudski said:

So basically we need to sign an out and out RB (for a flat back four) or a WB for a back three plus five? I think that part of LJ's problem and the problem with constantly chopping and changing formation is that there are too many options. It seems to me (and I accept I can be wide of the mark here) that with the players at his disposal he's never sure just what his best formation is. It's like he's trying to cover any and every eventuality.

I'd really like him to identify and stick to a formation. If that means getting in a Championship class RB for a back four then he should be going out and getting him. If that means a wing-back for a 3-5-2 then likewise. Somewhere along the line LJ has to know his preferred/strongest formation and stick to it come hell or high water. Time is not necessarily on his side. A manager cannot continually chop and change his team/tactics game by game and expect the players to understand what they're supposed to be doing.

As it stands, with everyone being fit and able, he has a multitude of options that just cloud the water. I think it's this which is causing us such problems along with certain players not being up to scratch in this division.

2 minutes ago, Malbec said:

So basically we need to sign an out and out RB (for a flat back four) or a WB for a back three plus five? I think that part of LJ's problem and the problem with constantly chopping and changing formation is that there are too many options. It seems to me (and I accept I can be wide of the mark here) that with the players at his disposal he's never sure just what his best formation is. It's like he's trying to cover any and every eventuality.

I'd really like him to identify and stick to a formation. If that means getting in a Championship class RB for a back four then he should be going out and getting him. If that means a wing-back for a 3-5-2 then likewise. Somewhere along the line LJ has to know his preferred/strongest formation and stick to it come hell or high water. Time is not necessarily on his side. A manager cannot continually chop and change his team/tactics game by game and expect the players to understand what they're supposed to be doing.

As it stands, with everyone being fit and able, he has a multitude of options that just cloud the water. I think it's this which is causing us such problems along with certain players not being up to scratch in this division.

Good post but who are those who played tonight who aren't up to scratch?

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Basically you need players who can defend the Full back positions, as that's where the opposition would play in to.

If you have no wing backs playing with 3 at the back, they just double up on the flanks and drag your players out of position.

I tend to agree Spud, then again Victor Moses is no-one's idea of a wing back and Chelsea are doing ok at the moment - Tottenham are the only team to have exploited the weak spot in their current system, i.e. between Moses at RWB and Azpilicueta at RCH.

I hope we stick with 352 and when we find some form, and against the right opposition (probably at home) we are brave enough to pick an attacking player in one of the wing back positions - put Paterson out there, O'Dowda, Freeman if he's still here. With the added bonus this will make room for Tomlin. 

Archived