IGNORED

Just back (on the M6) from Fleetwood

You Do The Dziekanowski

2 minutes ago, Malbec said:

So basically we need to sign an out and out RB (for a flat back four) or a WB for a back three plus five? I think that part of LJ's problem and the problem with constantly chopping and changing formation is that there are too many options. It seems to me (and I accept I can be wide of the mark here) that with the players at his disposal he's never sure just what his best formation is. It's like he's trying to cover any and every eventuality.

I'd really like him to identify and stick to a formation. If that means getting in a Championship class RB for a back four then he should be going out and getting him. If that means a wing-back for a 3-5-2 then likewise. Somewhere along the line LJ has to know his preferred/strongest formation and stick to it come hell or high water. Time is not necessarily on his side. A manager cannot continually chop and change his team/tactics game by game and expect the players to understand what they're supposed to be doing.

As it stands, with everyone being fit and able, he has a multitude of options that just cloud the water. I think it's this which is causing us such problems along with certain players not being up to scratch in this division.

We aren't far off being a very good side, if everyone we have was fit and healthy, and playing to the best of their ability.

Our problem has been injuries to key players.

A team that consisted of this would be a very solid outfit.....however, it's unlikely to happen because of Matthews and Smith.

---------------------------------------------------------FF/Geifer-----------------------------------------------------------

Matthews------------------------------Flint--------------------------Wright----------------------------------Magners

----------------------------------------------------------Hegeler-------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------Smith---------------------------------------------------------------GoN-------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------Tomlin---------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------Tammy------------------------Duric-------------------------------------------------

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You mean JB who was good in L1 and just had a good game against a team from..?! 

The best he's looked in ages was in CM, imo. 

Ooh, I can help with that first line.

The team is from Fleetwood, but the players are from England, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Wales, France, Scotland and Nigeria

2 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Good post but who are those who played tonight who aren't up to scratch?

I wasn't referring to any players tonight specifically and I should have put 'yet' maybe.

But at risk of incurring the wrath of some forumites...

I'd say we need to replace Fielding and ROD (obviously we need them for now...) I don't think Pack or Korey has shown anywhere near enough at this level (and I accept in Korey's case injuries have hampered/slowed his progress so he may yet return to the player he was/we hoped he'd be). Little and Freeman I don't think are the answer although both players have shown recent signs of being there or thereabouts.

As for players like Brownhill, Patterson (yes I know he scored tonight and had a good game) and O'Dowda I really think they are for the future. And that's fine but we're really looking at the here and now and whilst they can and do come into the team and do a job, it's heaping huge expectations on their shoulders if we rely on them to get us out of our current situation.

Personally (and this is just my opinion, remember) I don't get the love-in with GON. Unless he's going through a frustrating time because he doesn't understand what LJ is trying to do I fail to see what he brings to the party.

But hey, what do I know? I could be so far from the mark I'm practically in orbit around Venus.

Just assume for a moment that LJ has decided that he's going to go 352, and the 3 are Wright, Flint and Magnusson.  If you compare that to our predominantly played 3 of last season, Ayling, Flint and Baker, could you see the RWB being a more expansive WB than a converted RB.  Wright is in theory a more defensive RCB than Ayling, so could you offset that with a more Elliott Bennett type RWB (he was a RM/RW who adapted well to RWB)?

You'd still need the industry, but I think there are likely to be more RMs around who might be able to play there with the likes of Wright alongside them?

Flint is back in the centre of a three, which may help him get back to top form....I still think that Baker was a big part of the, being able to play a 2.  If you take out the first game of the season when I think he got injured, Villa have only lost 1 game he's started. 

Archived