IGNORED

Magnusson / my thoughts on today

headhunter

The classic game of 2 halves.

Expected nothing today so was in dreamland at half time after a performance akin to what I had witnessed at Fulham in the autumn.

Taylor's open goal miss which would have made it 4-1 - I'm pretty sure the linesman on the near side but down the far end of the pitch was flagging

Bryan dragged his shot wide, another chance to make it 4-1 ; hey ho we still had a 2 goal cushion.

For me where Johnson would argue he got it right with his subs last week this time he got it wrong due to his limited options defensively on the bench. Paterson, Djuric, Tomlin, O'Dowda, Paterson, Pack, Vyner, Fielding were the named subs. Magnusson should have been there  instead of celebrating his 24th birthday in Bristol ; and at that age I don't buy the "he's one for the future" spin.

In terms of subs at 3-1 I would have been minded to take off Tammy and Taylor with Djuric upfront and Pack in midfield allowing Cotterill to push up a bit more. At 3-2 with Little all over the place [Flint took a booking as a result of a Little error] they could have brought Magnusson on for him and played 5 at the back to see the game out [Brownhill at RWB]. Anyway, I'm not the manager and what do I know!!

Looking at individual team members:

Geiffer - two instinctive saves early on before we scored and his kicking no worse than Carson

Little - nuff said

Golborne - limited

Wright - sound

Flint - OK

Cotterill - worked hard

Bryan - same as Cotts

Hegeler - impressive

Brownhill - getting better each game

Taylor  / Tammy - worked quite well together.

I'm very much still in the LJ out camp [sorry happy clappers] but nothing will change while the Lansdown / Johnson family love in continues

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The classic game of 2 halves.

Expected nothing today so was in dreamland at half time after a performance akin to what I had witnessed at Fulham in the autumn.

Taylor's open goal miss which would have made it 4-1 - I'm pretty sure the linesman on the near side but down the far end of the pitch was flagging

Bryan dragged his shot wide, another chance to make it 4-1 ; hey ho we still had a 2 goal cushion.

For me where Johnson would argue he got it right with his subs last week this time he got it wrong due to his limited options defensively on the bench. Paterson, Djuric, Tomlin, O'Dowda, Paterson, Pack, Vyner, Fielding were the named subs. Magnusson should have been there  instead of celebrating his 24th birthday in Bristol ; and at that age I don't buy the "he's one for the future" spin.

In terms of subs at 3-1 I would have been minded to take off Tammy and Taylor with Djuric upfront and Pack in midfield allowing Cotterill to push up a bit more. At 3-2 with Little all over the place [Flint took a booking as a result of a Little error] they could have brought Magnusson on for him and played 5 at the back to see the game out [Brownhill at RWB]. Anyway, I'm not the manager and what do I know!!

Looking at individual team members:

Geiffer - two instinctive saves early on before we scored and his kicking no worse than Carson

Little - nuff said

Golborne - limited

Wright - sound

Flint - OK

Cotterill - worked hard

Bryan - same as Cotts

Hegeler - impressive

Brownhill - getting better each game

Taylor  / Tammy - worked quite well together.

I'm very much still in the LJ out camp [sorry happy clappers] but nothing will change while the Lansdown / Johnson family love in continues

More or less echo this. Thought Geiffer was unlucky with the pen, nearly pushed it wide. We were outstanding in the first half but Derby changed things around 2nd half. McLaren said on Radio Derby they had to do something as they were overrun in the first. As time went on the game was getting more stretched and I would have swapped MT for LT for the last 15 mins or so. Think he would have caused their central back 2 all sorts of problems as there was so much space to exploit. 

I don't want LJ here, but if he can get us playing like we did in first half regularly, then I'll change my mind perhaps. We won the midfield battles, pressed high up the pitch, took the game to them and unbelievability played some very slick passing moves. A real joy to watch. Not felt such a buzz watching us all season. 

The second half just confirmed our frailty. Brownhill and Hegeler tired and the movement and crisp passing faded. 

Still had chances to get the winner, but a draw not bad at all. Several Ram's supporters I spoke to after felt they were very lucky to get a point. Same again at Leeds hopefully.

Archived