IGNORED

Out of the frying pan .

Major Isewater

32 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The wealth isn't the problem he has employed 8 managers by my count, 6 have been disasters and 2 let their success go to their heads and SL was slow to react to remove them. He hasn't employed one manager where the fans have thought 'yes' he's got this one right. Even with Coppell some of us thought he wasn't actually keen and wouldn't last until Christmas.

Here's the thing if SL really believes in his Bristol sport dream he has to stop being cheap with his managers for the football and rugby, he needs managers with a track record and respected in their field, obviously he has to sell his vision to those managers and then pay the price, will it work? who knows, but hoping that a manager with an average or below track record is the answer because they are young and therefor malleable hasn't worked so far and neither has employing managers whose best was well behind them.

indeed.

I'm not sure I buy into the 'cheap' option.

R.E the Rugby, didn't they employ Andy Robinson, former England head coach? Not sure that's a cheap option.

R.E City. The record doesn't look good. But i'm not sure GJ, SOD or Derek were particularly cheap options, certainly Coppell and Cotterill were not cheap options, at the relative times and situations at the club.

What he is guilty of his trying his luck un-tested managers, Tinnion, a certain extent Millen and now LJ and getting it wrong. Was he doing it to save money? Maybe. Or did he want to try and find the 'next best young manager'? All those three names all have big links to City as a club, so you can see the trend there. 

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I'm not sure I buy into the 'cheap' option.

R.E the Rugby, didn't they employ Andy Robinson, former England head coach? Not sure that's a cheap option.

R.E City. The record doesn't look good. But i'm not sure GJ, SOD or Derek were particularly cheap options, certainly Coppell and Cotterill were not cheap options, at the relative times and situations at the club.

What he is guilty of his trying his luck un-tested managers, Tinnion, a certain extent Millen and now LJ and getting it wrong. Was he doing it to save money? Maybe. Or did he want to try and find the 'next best young manager'? All those three names all have big links to City as a club, so you can see the trend there. 

Robinson had failed virtually everywhere he had coached his stock was low, Tainton certainly is a cheap option.

They are cheap and uninspiring options within the framework of what Bristol sport is now trying to achieve, GJ came from Yeovil but was what was needed at the time, SOD's best years were well behind him by the time we took him another one whose stock was at an all time low and DMC fits nicely into the Tinnion, Millen, LJ category untried where it mattered the championship, SC's stock was low and I think you will find although probably not cheap there were many that never bought into the Coppell appointment I certainly didn't in fact my son phoned me from Devon on the day he was announced and said  "I bet you a tenner he will be gone by christmas" he was only 3 months out and another manager whose best days had almost certainly passed.

I subscribe to the SAF line nobody at the club should earn more than the manager, because in general you get's what you pays for.

IMHO in both cases sell the dream and pay the price, it guarantees nothing but the right choice would sell the dream to the fans for the first time since SL took over.

24 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Robinson had failed virtually everywhere he had coached his stock was low, Tainton certainly is a cheap option.

They are cheap and uninspiring options within the framework of what Bristol sport is now trying to achieve, GJ came from Yeovil but was what was needed at the time, SOD's best years were well behind him by the time we took him another one whose stock was at an all time low and DMC fits nicely into the Tinnion, Millen, LJ category untried where it mattered the championship, SC's stock was low and I think you will find although probably not cheap there were many that never bought into the Coppell appointment I certainly didn't in fact my son phoned me from Devon on the day he was announced and said  "I bet you a tenner he will be gone by christmas" he was only 3 months out and another manager whose best days had almost certainly passed.

I subscribe to the SAF line nobody at the club should earn more than the manager, because in general you get's what you pays for.

IMHO in both cases sell the dream and pay the price, it guarantees nothing but the right choice would sell the dream to the fans for the first time since SL took over.

Can't really disagree with that.

How would like next? What kind of appointment?

Can't really disagree with that.

How would like next? What kind of appointment?

I said on an earlier post today, my sensible head says Uwe Rosler foreign and knows the English game.

My heart says to fulfil the Bristol sport project and certainly my nobody should earn more than the manager quote Glen Hoddle.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I said on an earlier post today, my sensible head says Uwe Rosler foreign and knows the English game.

My heart says to fulfil the Bristol sport project and certainly my nobody should earn more than the manager quote Glen Hoddle.

I agree with you on Rosler, i've been saying his name for a few weeks. He is the type I think we'd go for. Would he walk out on Fleetwood though?

Hoddle for me, has been out of the game for so long. A big name yes. Experience yes. I'm just really not sure, feel it would be a pretty huge, and expensive gamble.

As a final thought on managers, where I think we've all missed the point, is that although SL has said he wants to ultimately achieve the premier dream, he has never promised how he would. We're judging his choices on our criteria. SL has shown he wants the club to be self-sustainable, and apart from the SC debacle, has looked to buy players that 'add value'. I think he likes the idea of developing youth and has the same thought sometimes with managers. That was certainly the case with LJ. That's his opinion. A high risk one though. I personally agree with you that the final piece of the puzzle really is a manager right now, and we should aim as high as possible. But I try to not judge his appointments too much because we never really know what the clubs financial perimeters are at the time and what they're 'looking' for. Ultimately we judge on results, which is the bottom line, and too many haven't worked.

I agree with you on Rosler, i've been saying his name for a few weeks. He is the type I think we'd go for. Would he walk out on Fleetwood though?

Hoddle for me, has been out of the game for so long. A big name yes. Experience yes. I'm just really not sure, feel it would be a pretty huge, and expensive gamble.

As a final thought on managers, where I think we've all missed the point, is that although SL has said he wants to ultimately achieve the premier dream, he has never promised how he would. We're judging his choices on our criteria. SL has shown he wants the club to be self-sustainable, and apart from the SC debacle, has looked to buy players that 'add value'. I think he likes the idea of developing youth and has the same thought sometimes with managers. That was certainly the case with LJ. That's his opinion. A high risk one though. I personally agree with you that the final piece of the puzzle really is a manager right now, and we should aim as high as possible. But I try to not judge his appointments too much because we never really know what the clubs financial perimeters are at the time and what they're 'looking' for. Ultimately we judge on results, which is the bottom line, and too many haven't worked.

Rosler was bigging us up after our cup matches, it sounded to me like, come and get me when you realise LJ has ****** it up. it might not seem like it but we are bigger club and probably too difficult to turn down.

As for Hoddle only out of the day to day running of a club, still in the game with his academies which would suit the project down to the ground, the huge expensive gamble might finally get the detractors on board to believe in the project, I know it is highly unlikely to happen but probably where we should be aiming IMO.

Can't say I'd want Hoddle anywhere near the manager's job at Ashton Gate. I know he did well at Swindon but that was a long time ago. 

I know he talks a very good game and there are some ex-players who sing his praises as a coach, but his record as a manager is questionable. He took (by England's standards) a talented squad to the 98 World Cup and lost 2 games out of 4 (including senselessly underusing Michael Owen early in the tournament) then started Euro 2000 qualification with a loss against Sweden in Stockholm and a 0-0 draw at home against Bulgaria, before he was sacked.

The Wolves fans I know from my England travels are scathing about his time at Molineux. And the story that Tony Adams told about Hoddle and Beckham just doesn't sit well (nor, of course, do Hoddle's comments about reincarnation). 

Archived