IGNORED

Which Is Your Favourite City Og Of All Time?

greenun

............Ray Atteveld's against Millwall, away towards the end of the 92/93 season.

With City coasting at 3-1, he skied a passback, from a yard inside his own half which sailed over our keeper (Andy Leaning?), before striking the bar and bouncing down "over the line". I've used speech marks, because apparently the referee at the time was at least the same distance from goal as poor old Ray A, but whistled for a goal straight away.

Should have gone to Specsavers IMHO.

With trying to forget things like that only a few stick in my mind. Dyche's at Ashton gate when Welch came out to collect it and dyche slotted it in nicely.

Also Sebok or was it Phillips against Wolves away. Sebok past it back and Phillips let it under ihis foot

Guest lydneyred

Don't think I have a favourite but the one I always think of is the one against Millwall as mentioned by Greenun. Seems to stick in my head for some reason whereas others get deleted from memory either by choice or by booze!

I cant remember many , but butlers looping header over phillips against mansfield at the gate last season was pretty funny. The funniest own goal an away team has scored was either notts county a couple of seasons ago , or them again last season when that bloke overhead kicked it into his own net! :how funny:

Guest KingswoodRed

I'll go for Mr. Attevelds superb lob too.....was it really 10 years ago?

Remember that game well as I couldn't believe my car was in one piece when I got to it. :clap:

I couldn't believe my car was in one piece when I got to it.  :)

Well its funny you should mention that Kingswood Red. I was at that game too and vividly remember Atteveld's og! Hasten to add I was not so fortunate with regards my car :(

After the game me and 2 mates made our way back to the car (parked in the gravel covered car park behind the away end at the old then, Cold Blow Lane) to find a huge slab of concrete sitting on my front passenger seat.

It seems Millwall 'fans' had taken exception to our 3-2 win (and my Bristol stamped tax disk) and decided to first throw the aforementioned lump of rock at my windscreen, it shattered but not satisfied with that they then launched it through my drivers side window!

The 3 of us then spent the best part of 2 hours on Cold Blow Lane itself (cos Millwall wanted to lock the gates) waiting for the RAC windscreen fitter.

To rub salt in the wound when he arrived he only brought a windscreen, so I had to drive all across London and 120 miles along the M4 with a bit of plastic sheeting taped to the door and flapping noisily in the wind ALL the way home!

The best bit of this story (funny now that is) was on driving back across the capital and stopped at lights a guy started washing my brand new windscreen as they do in London, I tried explaining 'it was a new windscreen' but he continued then expected £1, I reluctantly paid and drove off, the windscreen was actually dirtier!

Happy days, not :( Great result though

I wasn't there but Glenn Humphries scored one on his debut at Rotherham. What a start that was, though he turned out to be a good servant.

I was actually at that game!

He scored with a diving header after about 30 Seconds!!!

we went on to lose 4-1 and after winning 4-1 at Grimsby the previous week, it was a bit of a comedown I can tell you.

Guest KingswoodRed
After the game me and 2 mates made our way back to the car (parked in the gravel covered car park behind the away end at the old then, Cold Blow Lane) to find a huge slab of concrete sitting on my front passenger seat.

It seems Millwall 'fans' had taken exception to our 3-2 win (and my Bristol stamped tax disk) and decided to first throw the aforementioned lump of rock at my windscreen, it shattered but not satisfied with that they then launched it through my drivers side window!

I am sorry to say, if yours was the only car that was 'done' that day in the car park, I can remember seeing it as I left.

It was partly the fact I had seen a car with it's windscreen smashed that I posted the reason I was so happy to see mine in one piece.

I did however park around a mile away near some shops.

Yep I was the only one!

and in hindsight it probably wasn't the best thing I have ever done to park there, but the simple fact was we were caught up on the South Circular for an age that day and got to SE15 (i think thats right) at 3.00 on the dot, so I followed the first sign that said Millwall FC parking.

It wasn't until we got out the car that I realised how close to the ground we were. We still missed the Kick off.

At first Millwall FC didn't want to accept any responsibility (rightly or wrongly) but I was not happy with their attitude on the day. I had paid to park there! I demanded to see their Chairman, they said NO, I ignored them and walked into his office, he was talking to the then Millwall boss Mick Macarthy.

I explained what had happened, at first he tried to dismiss me, I asked if his club could afford any more negative press? he kindly posted me a Millwall FC cheque about a week later covering the full repairs.

I learnt a lesson that day, don't speak to organ grinders (or is it monkeys), go straight to the top...it usually works :(

Two spring to mind.

1. 1971 at Ninnian, the home team won 1-0 when Wimshurst HEADED the ball back to our goalie from near the half way line! HTV actually showed that game!

2. Home to Wrexham FA Cup 1st round, Jan '77. City winning 2-1 with half time approaching. Wrexham crossed and Merrick went to head it away. Many in the East End could see what was coming and screamed "Leave it"!. 2-2 :(

Best own goal scored for City was by Notts Co at the Gate December 2001. Fantastic diving header it was. I turned to my mate and said "I wished we had forwards who could score like that".

I think Sebok's will always go down as no. 1 in my book - that moment probably summed up the absolute despair of that season in a moment; a simple back-pass which Phillips let under his foot. And John Ward was sat in the home dug-out. Irony.

In City's favour, I'll always remember Wayne Thomas giving us the lead with a magnificent header in Danny's first home game vs Stoke. He was about 8 yards out and jumped to head a cross clear only for it to squirt off the back of his head and drop in the corner! Poor bloke was so upset he had to be subbed to the tune of "One Wayne Thomas" from the home faithful. :how funny:

Stoke had the last laugh though. :Rage:

Come on lads - you've forgotten the best ever!!!

Remember our historic 3 - 4 win away against Derby County in the 1992/1993 season - when Derby were still at the Baseball Ground?

Absolute classic, broadcast live on HTV to a bewildered Roger Malone.

City were 3 - 0 down at half time following a Paul Simpson hat trick.

We then had Gary Shelton dragged down to the ground in a rugby tackle by their keeper in the most blatant penalty ever and make it 3 - 1.

Then Junior makes it 3 - 2 and then on comes a sub for them (Andy somebody?) to produce the best own goal ever! Our free kick and 10 seconds after he enters the fray, his first touch of the ball is to head it into his own net to make it 3 - 3!

City fans go mental!

Then Allison pops up with a header for the winner just before the end and its pandemonium in the away end!

Up there with Mansfield away last season for me!

One Team

There certainly can't be many more spectacular ones than Mr Atteveld's, personally I thought it just about summed him up. Came here telling everybody that he was the answer to our problems, but for someone of his experience was so tactically naive it was frightening.

As for debating whether it crossed the line, who cares? It deserved to be an OG for being such a stupid thing to do. :(

Les Bardsley's testimonial. City took on Bristol at the Mem at socby, soccer played with a rugby ball. The ball bounced it City's half and Dave Rodgers got his foot under it to boot it deep into Bristol's half. He got too far under it, the ball rose vertically and then fell backwards, over Cashley but under the bar, 0-1. Both sets of fans laughed.

2nd half was played for the first 20 mins with a soccer ball, but no further score. The final 20 mins, the rugby ball came back on and rugby was played.

A great Sunday morning's entertainment.

Guest BTR_FTG

Humphries header is by far the best City OG I've seen. Whilst Atteveld's lob was spectacular it had a touch of fluke about it & Leaning didn't help things much. Humphries, on the other hand, was a 100% top notch effort. Commitment, power, placement, some latecomers even thought that the 'new guy' had given us an early lead & started celebrating.

Most enjoyable OG at The Gate has, for me, to be Warren Barton's last minute netbusting equaliser whilst playing for the Don's in the Cup. To have got such power & angle on the slice so as to carefully avoid the other 23 players cramming the six yard box was a thing of beauty.

BTR

FTG

Archived