IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

havanatopia

Well, game of two halves. Really should have got something out of that.

Good news that we are creating chances, be nice to get more on target. Reid could have had a hat trick really. Poor in the second half, never really responded when they raised the bar.

Ho hum, back to earth.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

A reality check we needed perhaps?

If people were really getting excited over beating a woeful Barnsley team and a team in the league below...they need more then a reality check .

Think today just proves that not a massive amount has changed to last season 

• Like 2

Back to last season for me today, a game we controlled and should have won against a piss poor team, missed chances and gradually we allowed them to bully themselves back into the game.

The only time we looked in danger was from our own making, over complicating, sloppy/casual midfield passes and shitty defending for both goals.

Reid could and should have scored a hatrick and Diedhiou a couple with more composure.

Brownhill was poor all game and rightly substituted, Patterson was ok going forward but a total liability defensively, Pack was below average all game, Smith was our best midfielder today.

I have to say it again O’Dowda is not championship ready.

Free kicks and crossing abysmal once more.

Early days I know but worryingly shades of last season all over this performance today for me.

• Like 1

Poor decision making..

Baker should have started.

Flint is paid to play not sit at home; he is a professional and should have played.

Poor decision to send our only spare striker out on loan.

2nd half was abysmal.. did LJ shout at someone at HT and upset the dressing room?

Is this the first sign of normal service being resumed by LJ? Hope not.

Really need to work on a 90 minute game plan. We were frankly poor against Barnsley in the second half of the first game this season and they are one of the weakest sides in the division. Birmingham show a more typical second tier side. I don't think they will be relegation fodder this season, with money to splash and a decent manager. 

Sounds like we were the better side in the first 45 and should have made it count a bit more, and then didn't respond well to Harry countering our high pressing game after half time.

Perhaps we needed a bit more savvy and a bit more firepower on the bench.  Brum fans seem to think they are hopeless going forward so conceding two there isn't ideal.

Our first tough game and it wasn't a disaster, encouraged by the commentary that we played good passing football at a high tempo in the first half.  Good to hear Reid and Diedhiou working well together.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

If people were really getting excited over beating a woeful Barnsley team and a team in the league below...they need more then a reality check .

Think today just proves that not a massive amount has changed to last season 

yes not on the pessimism front either.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think anyone sensible was getting carried away.

Narrow loss against a decent side, not hugely surprising in this competitive league.

You must be kidding they were awful, the only time they looked good was when we made them look good.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Tactically inept, then?  Sounds all too familiar

Yep. Most frustrating thing out of it all, is all the shit about being stronger because of last season and players like Brownhill, COD etc etc being better from the experience, well COD completely killed the game and we had 3 separate occasions where players were pushed off the ball or caught in possession. Aka nothing changed. 

• Like 1

Disappointing seeing we basically started the game with a goal start and played the last 15 against 10. Game gave us all the opportunity to take 3 points but we ended with 0. We really need another striker getting in to Reid's goal scoring positions. Tammy got into those position last season and as a striker put it away more often than not. Reid ( and I am not knocking him) doesn't seem to have that killer instinct because it seems he is being shoehorned into being a striker rather than his natural position. Anyway on to Tuesday, Brentford's defence  seems leaky so should get some chances to make up points there hopefully.

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Unfortunately our dire away form will cost us again. Need a top keeper, Baker must start ahead of Hegeler who looks too sluggish. Also a powerful pacey striker. However we could play 11 v 7 at St Andrews and lose. Ultimate bogey team and we all knew it would happen. 

I assume you must've watched the game live to be able to give that sort of analysis? 

Guest redandy1

Last season we couldn't start games well but Johnson has sorted that. But he forgot about the second half. For a moment I thought I was wrong about Johnson but here we go again. How disappointing against not one of strong teams in the division. Why wasn't Baker playing. 

Just now, BS3rich said:

Still think we lack a bit of bite in CM. Will be good when Baker is in the team to partner Wright. A tad worried we might struggle against the real physical sides in this league..today being a case of that 

I agree, would love us to go for Jackson Irvine who got a goal and a red card for Burton today.

• Like 1

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Didn't watch the game, and no I wasn't 'joking'. Squad wise they're a decent side, doesn't really matter how they did or didn't play today in isolation.

in isolation they were shit today and still managed to beat us, that is what counts not whether they are a good side on paper, that was the excuse last during our run of losses.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

in isolation they were shit today and still managed to beat us, that is what counts not whether they are a good side on paper, that was the excuse last during our run of losses.

Not sure why you're being so pedantic.. it was pretty obvious what I was saying. It's a competitive division and we'll lose tight games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BS3rich said:

Still think we lack a bit of bite in CM. Will be good when Baker is in the team to partner Wright. A tad worried we might struggle against the real physical sides in this league..today being a case of that 

Their CM even after the sending off looked really strong, we lacked that

In my opinion Nichlas shouldn't have came on, he hasn't had enough time to settle and playing him when 2-1 down in front of a then hostile crowd didn't help . He really did whip in a few good crosses, maybe give him a run out v Watford but leave him out against Brentford 

Again, I think we are too soft and too weak in midfield. It's no co-incidence that big strong sides like Brum always beat us by the odd goal after an even game. That bite in the Elliott/Hartley/Taylor mould is still missing, add that and we've got a tidy side imho.

We've had two league games, lets not get carried away either way. we definately need to take our chances and manage games better. I don't know what other striking options we have for Tuesday, but we definately need a finisher. How close Taylor is to fitness?

Short term I'm more concerned that we get Flint dealt with because if he's not going to make the squad and no-ones offering £5 million, we seem to have managed to put ourselves in a can't win position with him.

• Like 1

Went today and was so impressed first half with our tempo and play. We should have buried them and we didn't they then scored a goal out of nothing. Second half our energy levels dropped and harrys subs second half immediately made an impact whilst ours didn't and we couldn't open them up like we did first half. 

On to Brentford and we will see how we handle a team who play the ball around well.

The 30 minutes after half time was the worst performance I have seen in a while. Brum changed their shape at half time and we didn't react. I'm not sure the substitutions were very effective either. Eliasson looks like he needed more time to understand our formation and patterns of play.  Diedou looked tired by about 60 minutes into the game.

First half performance was really good though. 

12 minutes ago, BS3rich said:

I thought the CM was good

Pack ran his socks off, quality with Korey

Just thought the substitutions didn't pay off as the goal came down our right side - brownhill was solid before he came off 

3 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We should not let us down to donkey business but need a game plan where to go from keeping the ball. Cardiff last season killed us. We looked like total idiots. Far better today. COYR!!

Encore. :clap:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We should not let us down to donkey business but need a game plan where to go from keeping the ball. Cardiff last season killed us. We looked like total idiots. Far better today. COYR!!

4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

https://dontbottleitup.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI892rxIzS1QIVg73tCh2qLAPnEAAYAyAAEgLJEfD_BwE

3 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I thought the CM was good

Pack ran his socks off, quality with Korey

Just thought the substitutions didn't pay off as the goal came down our right side - brownhill was solid before he came off 

Did seem bit of a gamble with bringing 2 out n out wingers on together at that time. Maybe just 1 would've been better. Was hoping Hinds would come on when they went down to 10.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Such a promising third transfer window as well.

Most thought last season's transfer window was good but we only avoided relegation by 3 points. Balance players who have left / will leave (Flint) against those who have joined City and the  team isn't really much stronger.  Still time to make more signings  and hopefully LJ has learned some tactical awareness  

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

So none in the season I asked about then..

Chose to ignore because it was a pretty pointless thing to say. Did you go today? Cardboard copy of last season. Hence the 'again' comment. We're our own worst enemy time & time again under Johnson. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Thought both goals were poor in truth. First, we seemed to have a number of chances to clear it. Second, should Fielding have done better? Beaten twice by low shots outside the area. Would want to see them again told fair.

From behind the goal, Frankie wasn't at fault for either. Both stemmed from defensive errors. 

• Like 2

Guest redandy1
3 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

#DonkeyBusiness

Come on everyone, heads up. Loads of positives from the last few games. Didn't fall is today, but on another day we could have scored 4 easily. 

Everyone is so negative on here.  

First time up against some serious opposition and we lose.I can't see too many positives.