IGNORED

Looking Back At Relegation

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I think when we were relegated in 98 it may have been a blessing in disguise. I honestly belive if we had stayed up that year the spending would have continued, the wage bill would have got higer, money would have been seriouslt spent on the ground and then

BANG ITV digital collapses and we are in serious trouble. Maybe by being in Div 2 we were spared the worst horrors of the ITV fiasco and can now build in a much more certain climate.

Fair point, we would have lost a lot more money by being in div 1. Some clubs in div 1 really got a bad deal then (eg Huddersfield, and look where they are now).

Hopefully it's all died down now and it will be the best time to go up again.

Its all academic now - 4 or 5 years after the event.

But one thing is for sure if Davidson had stayed in charge and City had avoided relegation that first season then he would have made every effort to reach the promised land asap - and that would have meant a huge investment in better players with the associated costs.

The question should be - if City had reached the Premiership would they now be in the same situation as Bradford,B'sley and Sheffield Wed?.

The answer is yes.

Guest Harry May

One thing I remember about that season , is the real bonding between fans and players . Although we were n't good enough to stay up , the majority of fans never wavered - I remember in particular the Palace Away game . We were bl00dy unlucky to lose and played some very attractive football. The team left to a standing ovation.

Bizarre , but I do remember alot of happy times from that season. A shrink would probably say something about the Dunkirk spirit.

The Norwich home game , with the conga , was unbelievable.

Caldicot Red.

Archived