IGNORED

Sick Of It All

Guest Harry May

Guest Harry May

Living outside the wonderful City of Briz , I gain most of my info about Bristol City from the City web-site . People in Briz are lucky enough to get that superb publication , The Evening Post. We have to make do with the sister publication , the Western Daily Press.

The Western Daily Press has plenty of sports pages in it . Today is a typical example . Plenty of coverage about Swindon Town , Cheltenham Town , Bath City , Various Rugby teams and Horse racing . They even have coverage of Moto-X ( which is fair enough ) and cricket.

However , the day after our AGM , the only time the City are mentioned is when they are named as a former club of Gary Owers ( in the article on Bath City ).

We are the best supported team in the West Country , yet we are ignored by one of the regions main newspapers.

There are many City fans in Monmouthshire , Forest of Dean , Glos and Wilts who are being let down by the WDP.

Perhaps as our half time "entertainment" , we should let a fox lose on the sacred turf and all run around chasing it . When we catch it , we can tear it apart . Then the WDP would actually give us some pumped up and positive coverage.

Caldicot Red.

I bought the WDP today(in Bristol!) and like Harry noticed a distinct lack of print about BCFC.

All the other local clubs got at least a paragraph or two and the egg chasers were given a page and a half.

I wonder why the WDP decided to omit any reference to our club in todays edition?

Even if there weren't any stories of note - they could have interviewed a City player like the EP did or done a story on the AGM.Just poor coverage from a local paper.

At least the crossword was easy!

Living outside the wonderful City of Briz , I gain most of my info about Bristol City from the City web-site . People in Briz are lucky enough to get that superb publication , The Evening Post. We have to make do with the sister publication , the Western Daily Press.

The Western Daily Press has plenty of sports pages in it . Today is a typical example . Plenty of coverage about Swindon Town , Cheltenham Town , Bath City , Various Rugby teams and Horse racing . They even have coverage of Moto-X ( which is fair enough ) and cricket.

However , the day after our AGM , the only time the City are mentioned is when they are named as a former club of Gary Owers ( in the article on Bath City ).

We are the best supported team in the West Country , yet we are ignored by one of the regions main newspapers.

There are many City fans in Monmouthshire , Forest of Dean , Glos and Wilts who are being let down by the WDP.

Perhaps as our half time "entertainment" , we should let a fox lose on the sacred turf and all run around chasing it . When we catch it , we can tear it apart . Then the WDP would actually give us some pumped up and positive coverage.

Caldicot Red.

They are overly staffed by gasheads in high positions and they don't like City.

There is only ever grudging praise when we do well, but full front page condemnation when a few City fans get into trouble. Similar gas fan indiscretions are given little or often no coverage whatsoever.

As an aside, I got the South Bristol edition of the Bristol Observer so my interest sparked up when i saw an old picture of a group of smiling football fans.

City fans? - no, young Rovers fans grinning outside Ashton Gate in the 50's, next to a big picture of Geoff Bradford. The reason - to publicise a new book about Rovers and give away free copies.

"Rovers- Bristol's oldest professional club", it stated prominently.

This edition should have been delivered to Horfield and its environs, not Southville, thankyou very much.

A sickening piece of self publicity which wouldn't have been out of place in the Rovers programme; the last time i saw City in there was headlines and mugshots about the "Bristol City hooligans" at the LDV final. :(

Caldicot, I will not buy the WDP more than a couple of times a season now for the reasons you state, living in the Forest of Dean i have to rely on the official site for my City news or buy the Green Un, but the latter has little information, and the write ups of games are sometimes poor.

The WDP should be able to get 3 or 4 pages of all our football clubs news each day, whether it be interviews, team news, fans views or news of events or games, but nope, nothing day after day, it's disgraceful.

Is it any wonder that city and all of these clubs are still playing 3rd rate football and football fans in Bristol and it's surrounds travel in their droves 200 miles to watch Liverpool and Man Utd, because they never hear about the football on it's doorstep through the media.

I have noticed over the last couple of weeks, there has been no reports about City in the WDP on a Friday morning.

Actually, this has been the case for several years - Friday is a City free zone as far as the WDP is concerned, quite baffling really.

Guest city slicker 71

What this club is crying out for is a leader/spokesman/boardplayer one who understands the true nature of things in this here region that will take on those niggling issues someone with the bluntness of Clough the tenacity of Strachen the cheekiness of Fry and the eloquence of O'niell.

Wev'e certainly got none of those here, so do what I did last season don't buy their greasy little rag.

Regards

cowshedder

Archived